Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Review

View all Wilfrid Laurier University reviews

Bulk Barn- It had its moments, but overall turned out disappointing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON14 June 2017
Working here was like riding a wave sometimes, things were never consistent. For starters, they put me at the cash register on my first day on the job without any prior training and told me to tell customers that I was in training and to "just have patience". After a few weeks of trial and error, for lack of a better expression, they told me that I was ready to do stock. Again, they did not train me and just expected that I already knew where everything was and how it all worked. The work place was always hectic, even when the store was empty I still found myself running all over the place trying to get everything done. Then there were days where nothing needed to be done (or so it seemed) and management would say nothing but then single you out later in the week for something that they did not clarify. Overall, I would recommend against working here mainly because of management. Not that the work was hard, the labour itself was not at all intensive. The most enjoyable part was leaving bulk barn for good.
Pros
free leftovers
Cons
management, poor hours, poor income

Other Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews

Professional environment
Advancement Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 May 2019
Was able to work in a very professional and positive office environment, under a very friendly and cooperative supervisor. Work tasks tended to get confusing at times, however, as instructions were very vague and tricky.
Academic work environments require dedication and focus
Plant Systematics Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 April 2019
Working hours were well established and requests for hour alterations due to personal reasons were always granted.

Academic work varies widely between departments however my personal experience was very enriching.

You must maintain focus throughout your contract, it is crucial that your research is done correctly as future research is highly dependent on honest results
Pros
Open work environment with great staff and management
Cons
It can be difficult to remain focused for extended periods