Wilfrid Laurier University Management reviews

Its a job
Food Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 March 2019
Lots of gossip and politics, management being particularly bad.The pay isn't too bad, although the union works on seniority so you will get the worst hours until you hit 10 years or so.
its great
MBA Programs Assistant (contract) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 October 2018
I like it here a lot but I do not like being forced to write reviews without an opt-out feature. I find it distasteful to be forced to go through this before I am able to move forward.
Lab
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 July 2018
Loved working here, could have more hours though. It was fun and interesting. I learned a lot and got relevant experience. I loved my team and management.
Great management, slow pace
Wilfrid Laurier Residence Life Don (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 April 2018
Working for GAP was a lot of fun, and the management was great, however the work environment was often slow paced, with the occasional busy holiday rush. Made for the shifts to go by slowly and the enjoyment of going to work to fade.
fun
Orientation Week Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 April 2018
this was a great opportunity to meet great people, and get out of your comfort zone. helps develop skills such as communication, time management, organization, and team work.
Just Awful
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 March 2018
They do not care for the vulnerable and marginalized folks who work for them or attend the school. Just awful. They are far more concerned with the bottom dollar and making sure to not upset straight white cis people than attend to the issues trans*, racialized and other marginalized folks face on a daily basis.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Radio Show Host (Current Employee) –  202 Regina Street21 June 2017
The company, Arts Laurier, is a student run company connected to Wilfrid Laurier Waterloo campus. The workplace is relaxed yet still very productive due to its management style. As a company it has many pros such as meeting underground artists and getting to know people who are creating such beautiful art. However, the only con to this would be the clarity of what is needed from each employee.
Bulk Barn- It had its moments, but overall turned out disappointing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON14 June 2017
Working here was like riding a wave sometimes, things were never consistent. For starters, they put me at the cash register on my first day on the job without any prior training and told me to tell customers that I was in training and to "just have patience". After a few weeks of trial and error, for lack of a better expression, they told me that I was ready to do stock. Again, they did not train me and just expected that I already knew where everything was and how it all worked. The work place was always hectic, even when the store was empty I still found myself running all over the place trying to get everything done. Then there were days where nothing needed to be done (or so it seemed) and management would say nothing but then single you out later in the week for something that they did not clarify. Overall, I would recommend against working here mainly because of management. Not that the work was hard, the labour itself was not at all intensive. The most enjoyable part was leaving bulk barn for good.
Pros
free leftovers
Cons
management, poor hours, poor income
Good
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 April 2017
Time management is a big play when it comes to working for Postmates. Having to be out there at certain times when its really busy in order to score in a lot more money. With all the biking we do in this job, its very comforting to know that I am keeping my body in perfect shape. There wasn't really anything for me to complain about. I enjoy my experience working for Postmates.
Fun and engaging
Senior Headstart Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 March 2017
Good structure in place, not overly competitive. With good management. You always want to make sure you're accessible and friendly to gain your supervisors trust.
Pros
Free lunches, friendly staff
Cons
lots of standing
Patience and attention to detail of job
Proctor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 August 2016
I was mainly responsible for assisting professors to supervise the students during the exams. It helps me to pay attention to detail where anything shouldn't be overlooked. The management is very efficient since it is on call, we will know any shifts available in advance. The co-workers are all students, so it is less competitive. The hardest part of the job is to pay attention to check students closely and keep patient during the exam. The most enjoyable part of the job is to find out the suspicious behaviors.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
I expect it can increase workload
One of the best jobs I have ever had
Hockey Intramural Head Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 January 2016
-2 hours of office hours to do administration work (emails, schedules, payroll)
-I learned time management skills as well as communication skills
-Management was very supportive and enjoyable
-Co-workers were very friendly and supportive also
-Hardest part of the job Hiring/firing
-Most enjoyable part of the job was making a positive difference
Pros
Free gym class memberships, free gear
Cons
No Cons in my opinion
Challenging and rewarding work environment
Human Geography Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 September 2015
Challenging work environment with supportive management. Provides you the opportunity to develop further skill sets and teaches you time management and critical analysis skills.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Good experence
Teaching Assistant, Intermediate Econometrics (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 February 2015
• Management skills increased by assisting professor to provide academic guidance to numerous students
• Advanced communication and problem-solving skills developed by setting extra office hours
• Organizational skills applied to grade assignments and tests and to proctor the midterm and final exams
• Deadline-focused and detail-oriented evaluated by professor and students
Inspiring
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 December 2014
Great work environment. As a Master's student and research assistant I was required to plan my own time effectively in order to complete tasks in a timely manner. I learned a lot about qualitative research and time management. The hardest part of the job was staying focused on the task at hand when new information or ideas came up. The most enjoyable part of the job was continuously learning more and more.
Productive and fun environment
Event Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 November 2014
Awesome staff to work with, management was excellent. The most enjoyable part of work was working the kids and teaching them new skills each and everyday. Knowing that they were having a positive experience made it enjoyable for myself as well.
The first full time job that I had worked.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 September 2014
A typical day at work: To develop Manulife clients application forms access database and perform filing clients' information to the company database
What you learned: I learned some policy of the life insurance company.
Management: There are two managers as a partners in the company, so sometimes they have the different idea for some issues.
Your co-workers: I love my colleagues who gave me some investment suggestions.
The hardest part of the job: How to handle some situations with two managers.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Knowing how to buy a reasonable life insurance in the future.