Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

I was a student
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 April 2018
I was a student here and worked in a number of labs as summer research assistant. Good way to get experience in academic labs. The pay is minimal but it is also a good way to get reference letters.
Just Awful
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 March 2018
They do not care for the vulnerable and marginalized folks who work for them or attend the school. Just awful. They are far more concerned with the bottom dollar and making sure to not upset straight white cis people than attend to the issues trans*, racialized and other marginalized folks face on a daily basis.
improve research skills
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 January 2018
Friendly professor teach everything you want to know. Help you to improver you skill in data analysis, data collection, and report. Very good chance for part time job
Productive and work hours are flexible
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 November 2017
I can work to my own flexibility and independence is a great value one can get from this work experience. The hardest part of this job is keeping yourself engaged and not slack off from the flexibility and freedom you get.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Enjoyable work setting
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 April 2017
Standard RA position but will vary on department and project. I worked in the geography department which had excellent resources and people to work with.
Good place to work and study
Teaching / Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 June 2016
I was just a graduate student. However, there are so many teaching assistant positions in the school of business and economics. It is so easy to meet the professors.
helps me get a lot information how to a career processing
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 February 2016
its a volunteer
learn how to collect data, analysis data
understand how career works
hardest part is different person have their own judgement and concern, hard to put different idea together
enjoyable part is get lot new friends, good communication
Depends on the position
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON4 February 2015
Depends completely on the position. It's decent part-time work--the university understands the busy schedule of most students.
Inspiring
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 December 2014
Great work environment. As a Master's student and research assistant I was required to plan my own time effectively in order to complete tasks in a timely manner. I learned a lot about qualitative research and time management. The hardest part of the job was staying focused on the task at hand when new information or ideas came up. The most enjoyable part of the job was continuously learning more and more.
The first full time job that I had worked.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 September 2014
A typical day at work: To develop Manulife clients application forms access database and perform filing clients' information to the company database
What you learned: I learned some policy of the life insurance company.
Management: There are two managers as a partners in the company, so sometimes they have the different idea for some issues.
Your co-workers: I love my colleagues who gave me some investment suggestions.
The hardest part of the job: How to handle some situations with two managers.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Knowing how to buy a reasonable life insurance in the future.
Challenging but fun place to work, plus flexible hours in my case.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 February 2014
I worked from home. A typical day involved reviewing the financial statements of US companies and recording my findings in an excel spreadsheet.
I have become very adept at research.
My boss is understanding and very easy to work with.
The hardest part of the job is when the company being reviewed does not have a properly designed website and I spend a lot of time looking for the necessary information; it gets frustrating. But i deal with it and move on.
It is interesting and enjoyable to see the similarities between these companies and note the little differences.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Teaching
Research Assistant, Brock University (Former Employee) –  75 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3C54 September 2013
spending a day with new chemistry students is so exciting they are doing 12 experiments during the whole semester which develope their skills in chemistry. usually we are 2 lab demonestrator that at first showing them how to do the experiments and we would be there with them and checking them how they ar doing it and trying to tell them their mistakes. the hardest part of this job is marking for sure and the most enjoyable part is teaching the things which they don't know and seeing them how they are learning and improving after a whole semester....
Friendly atmosphere
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 September 2013
I really enjoyed working with and helping the undergraduate students. The managers were so helpful, organized and reachable. The hardest part was to be fair and concise in marking.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Lots of marking
Productive workplace.
Primary Researcher/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 July 2013
Gained a lot of valuable quantitative and qualitative research training. Trained to use SPSS and NVivo statistical analysis software programs. Enjoyable coworkers.
productive, educational environment
Geographic Information Systems Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 March 2013
working at laurier was an excellent opportunity to gain GIS experience while working alongside masters students and professors directly.
Pros
extra geomatics education and experience
Cons
can be tidious