Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews

Academic work environments require dedication and focus
Plant Systematics Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 April 2019
Working hours were well established and requests for hour alterations due to personal reasons were always granted.

Academic work varies widely between departments however my personal experience was very enriching.

You must maintain focus throughout your contract, it is crucial that your research is done correctly as future research is highly dependent on honest results
Pros
Open work environment with great staff and management
Cons
It can be difficult to remain focused for extended periods
Career Consultant (contract position) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 April 2019
I really enjoyed working with the team at the Career Centre. I developed many skills. I particularly enjoyed doing workshops. The days were varied and interesting.
Felxible
Assistant to Copyright & Reserves Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 March 2019
It was a flexible office to work in, and we always had fun. If we ever had any issues it was often resolved quickly and efficiently. It is a great office to work in.
A great place to work
PAYROLL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 March 2019
I worked here as a student and learned a lot while working for the payroll office. The workplace culture was great as well as their benefits and salary.
Its a job
Food Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 March 2019
Lots of gossip and politics, management being particularly bad.The pay isn't too bad, although the union works on seniority so you will get the worst hours until you hit 10 years or so.
Being an IA is a good opportunity
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 March 2019
My supervisor was great to work with and made the whole IA process easy and fun. We got along very well. Being an IA was also a great experience and something I am passionate about and enjoy.
Amazing place to work
Fitness Attendant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 February 2019
Great workplace culture and management. I really enjoy working here. The staff I work with are great and the management cares about their staffs' well being and advancement within the workplace.
work study postion
Student Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON19 February 2019
A good temporary job for students while studying at the school, although you have to reapply every school year because the position is only available through the work study program
Pros
flexible with class schedule
Cons
office closes around 4pm
A family like team
Laurier Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 January 2019
Our two main purposes are to provide support to incoming international students and outgoing international student. We have different committing that oversee different support we provide. During this job, I have developed great communications skills, interpersonal skills as well as using the resource we offer to give suitable advice for students
Great Experience
Communications - Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 January 2019
I would spend time at Wilfred Laurier University again, however I don't think my experience at Wilfred Laurier University gives an accurate reflection of the culture there.
I have chosen to give everything 4 stars simply because I will acknowledge that others who worked alongside me would also give on average 4 stars.
Overall however, I believe Wilfred Laurier University exceeded my personal standards.

TL;DR 5 stars, I would do it all again
its great
MBA Programs Assistant (contract) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 October 2018
I like it here a lot but I do not like being forced to write reviews without an opt-out feature. I find it distasteful to be forced to go through this before I am able to move forward.
Great experience
International Student Amabssador (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 September 2018
Great student position, good mentorship and opportunities for professional development. Casual work environment. University has great spirit at the staff level too.
President of Python Club (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON29 August 2018
Productive and flexible. This allowed you to be both creative and involved into the club. Great work environment and culture since there are students that are as inspired as you.
Decent place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 July 2018
I have only been working here part time since March 2018. I find it relaxed and a safe environment to work. The buildings are nice and clean. overall a great place to work
Lab
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 July 2018
Loved working here, could have more hours though. It was fun and interesting. I learned a lot and got relevant experience. I loved my team and management.
Cashier/Customer Service
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 July 2018
Worked in the food court. Easy application process, hired right away. Was a nice place to work if you like to interact with other students and get some side money
Great Place to Work
Microbial Ecology Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 June 2018
I love working at Wilfrid Laurier University, the sense of community is great. The people are friendly and inclusive. The atmosphere is very casual and laid back.
Great Place to grow and learn
Supervisor, Team Lead, Calling Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 June 2018
Great availability of student jobs, provided lots of opportunities to grow and learn within the positions offered. worked around your class schedule so you could work and learn
Student Job
Referee-In-Chief (RIC) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 June 2018
I worked at Laurier for four years and loved every moment of it. The staff were incredible and really supported any decisions you wanted to make regarding the league you ran.
Leading youth
Support to the lead counselor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 May 2018
I learned leadership skills and how to plan activities and crafts. Part of my training involved mentorship of youth and how to be a good example. I enjoyed the training opportunities in this volunteer position.