Work wellbeing score is 75 out of 100

Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews

Canada186 reviews

wilfridstudentuniversityprofessorcampusteachingassistantcontract

Great Experience

Great opportunity to work with professors and add to experience. Job was done with frequent feedback but still allow autonomy. Rewarding experience by the end.

Constant budget cuts

Lack of direction and multiple budget cuts make it impossible to manage a team effectively. Burn out is extremely high and nothing is being done about it.

Very political

Just like any place you'll find some great people but if you do not remain P.C, you'll never advance It's all about who you connect with and not what you know. Usually friends are being promoted

Mostly positive environment.

Mostly positive environment. I worked there in different capacities over the course of my time. Some tasks are more interesting than others. Some co-workers were interesting and interested in similar intellectual inquiries.

Awful place for contract faculty

I've worked as contract faculty at Wilfrid Laurier university for 12 years. The pay is well below a liveable wage, there is zero job security, and the benefits are either non existent or so poor that it's not worth enrolling. They routinely overlook contract faculty for full-time positions, even if they are the most qualified candidates and the most beloved by students.

Pros

The students are wonderful

Cons

Zero job security, no benefits, poor pay

Insights into Wilfrid Laurier University

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Great people, good work environment within the biology department

I really enjoyed my time working at Wilfrid Laurier University. I was a lab technician performing research and I thought the research environment was friendly, everyone was helpful, and I enjoyed my time there!

Great environment, awful pay

Amazing place to work in all aspects but financial. Everyone is very kind and understanding, the job is fun and allows you to be creative, and it is not very demanding. However, I have found that you actually lose money taking this job. Free rent is nice, but you are also required to spend over a thousand dollars on a meal plan (even if your residence has a kitchen). In comparison, we are only paid about $1200, which does not even cover half the meal plan usually. So, you get to live for free, but you will not make a single dollar extra for other expenses. This is especially annoying when you are being forced to act as front-line security for the school and put yourself in dangerous and traumatic situations sometimes, and have nothing to show for it in terms of profit. Also, there is a two-week long (10 hours a day) training program that you do not get paid a cent to do.

Pros

great team, easy job, short hours

Cons

bad pay, no benefits, intense training program

Flexible

Flexible working hours in-between coursesAbove minimum salary for part-time workGood learning experience and a good first job for resumeMade good connections

Student Work

My work at Wilfrid Laurier University was part of a student placement. Generally I enjoyed my experience, but I would not characterize my feedback as typical.

Fair expectations

Was nice working in this position since you get to see the progress of your students and you're also not left alone by your supervisors - they give you the guidance you need.

The professor was amazing to work with and I enjoyed helping the students

Worked as a lab IA for a comp sci course. Had a fun time and enjoyed helping students. The professor for the course was amazing. Pay was good as well.

Pros

Slightly luck based but I got a great professor for the course.

part time job

- people are supportive and nice- the job was kind of easy to deal with- manager was supper nice to me- good team vibe- I wanna go back being hired again

Fun times

Great people and we’ll supported always. Worked in a few roles throughout the years. Laurier is such a family and your truly do make friends for life. I miss the feel and vibe of campus. Some of the best years of my life

Very stressful work please

I don't recommend anyone to work here. The manager doesn't know what's going on in the kitchen at all, he only listens to the denunciations of employees.Don’t spend your time!!!

Productive place with good infrastructure.

I worked there as a for a small period. The workplace was very friendly but I could feel the contractual nature of the job. It felt like I was expected to leave after my contract was done.

Pros

Good environment

Cons

not enough opportunity for advancement

bad

less than enjoyable experienceadmin doesnt care about youhandled the pandemic just about as poorly as any university possibly couldfell from #1 in student satisfaction to #11 within just a couple years, and it's clear why

Great place to do an internship

I had a great experience as Communications Assistant at Laurier International. I learned a lot about internal/external Communications and was given plenty of opportunities to expand my skillset in other areas like social media. The team was super welcoming and friendly and really worked to make sure myself and the other interns felt comfortable and supported.

it was okay

It was an okay place to work, contract by contract basis. work wasn't that hard some time there was rushes and alot of hours needed to be done. overall a good experience.

Non productive work place.

Not productive in terms of workforce. Upper management not clear and unorganized. Not accountable for their own actions/direction - takes out rage and mistakes on staff

Barista - food services

I worked in food services at the Starbucks for 2 years and really enjoyed it. The job was fast-paced and fostered a friendly work environment. I also picked up catering shifts with food services at the university for extra cash and it was always a great time.

Pros

discounted food

Great opportunity to work in a great environment

Had and have a great connection with the staff, they listened to our advise. It was a great work environment to be a part of. What a team should be...

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wilfrid Laurier University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement