Wilfrid Laurier University

Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews

Canada157 reviews
Great management and administration, reasonable hours and pay, overall enjoyable experience. Valuable learning and teaching skills, mentored by a professor.
Pros
Work within faculty
opportunities available for contract faculty
I have found there to be ongoing requests for contract teaching in a variety of disciplines. Contract faculty have a union so there is support for re-occurring and first request contracts.
Amazing School
I love being able to take part in the all opportunties presented to me at Laurier. Getting involved with the Students' Union has been a tremodus support in allowing me to network and connect my passions with work.
I really enjoy the atmosphere at work and all the people I am working with. I am greeted every day and everyone is very intent on helping you solve any problems you might have.
Pros
Lots of freedom making your own schedu
Cons
Gets busy during certain months but nothing unmanageable
Great workplace for students!
Good part time jobs choices for students, hlep you gain experience and skills in work while having a unique campus life experience. Relaxing and friendly environment.
I like my job
Working at WLU for Aramark food services has been a wonderful experience. I love the fast pace and the multicultural atmosphere. Having children that are in university/college and high school, working with students has been the best experience to help me understand my own children. I'm content and very blessed
Fun Place to Work
The team is amazing and super fun to work with, you can go to them with any question or concern about anything and they will be more than happy to help you!
Productive and fun workplace
I've been working at Laurier since 1999 in various roles across the campus. Laurier is a great place to work and I would recommend it to everyone and anyone.
Amazing work culture
Laurier provides a healthy and interactive work culture in which each individual is given the tools to grow and succeed in their position. I would highly recommend Laurier as a potential employer!
Relaxing and Accomodating place to work
Flexible work hours which allow you to work around your school schedule very easily. The workplace culture is very friendly such that all of your coworkers are students
High stability
A very stable job in post secondary with opportunities to inspire younger generations as they establish their careers. Often very fulfilling working with students and colleagues.
Fun and Collaborative Workplace
Wilfrid Laurier University was a great workplace to develop my personal interests as well as apply what I have learned in the classroom to actual students.
Pros
good pay
Cons
apathetic students
The job could be fun but the demands were too high.
There were activities that were planned every once in a while but overall their expectations for you on a day to day basis were too much to balance with schoolwork.
Great experience
Working at Wilfrid Laurier University has been the most amazing experience.
I am so grateful to have had the chance to work as an instructional assistant for the physics and chemistry courses.
Fun job as head boxing coach
5 hours a week, afternoons
$900/semester (2 semesters per year)

contract coach for the semester (stable part time)

work with students to organize the boxing club

the students are great
productive and engaging place to work at with excellent staff
I enjoyed working with my team as both professors, for whom I worked, were engaging, helpful and trusting enough to allow me to teach through my methods. They were always available when encountered with a problem and assured me that I was doing a wonderful job. My team members were helpful and considerate. We were able to disagree and discuss our ideas in a safe and effective manner. My students were a joy to have and seeing them succeed academically was the greatest outcome of my experience.
Pros
environment and job culture, topics discussed, freedom to plan own lessons
Productive work place
This was an amazing place to work. unfortunately I was on a contract. I think Laurier was the best place I ever worked at. the pay was good and there was benefits and pension.
Pros
pension
Cons
hard to get job security
Great School
I was a student at Laurier from 2015-2019 and I loved it. Great campus with amazing professors and staff. Would definitely recommend to any students looking to apply
Job review
After working there for many years, there is no job advancement. The pension, parking fees, union fees and a few other small fees added to your pay check leaves you with little. Many people in a small area, many bosses, many 'leaders'..I would not recommend working here for average wages.. I've been told by many management sucks.
Pros
you don't work overly hard
Cons
everything about the place
Rewarding and engaging work environment
Working as a Teaching Assistant at Wilfrid Laurier University was a very rewarding experience. I got to work closely with students and developed better time management skills, interpersonal skills and strong relationships with my supervisors.
Research assistant
Great place to get experience if youre just starting out. Depending on the position there isnt much room for advancement. The culture can be a little over competitive and a little dramatic
Pros
Experience, potentially get to travel
Cons
No room for advancement
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wilfrid Laurier University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3