Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Social Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 April 2018
Wilfird Laurier University is an affable working environment and high-quality training. The community and public affair department creates lots of great content to attract new students and improve recruiting.
rewarding job with opportunity to give back
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 April 2018
In this job, I was able to give back to students in the same position that I had once been in. I taught lessons to the students and then helped them with assignments for the lab section or reviewed course material with them.
Pros
Bonus pay for marking hours
Cons
repetitive
Great management, slow pace
Wilfrid Laurier Residence Life Don (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 April 2018
Working for GAP was a lot of fun, and the management was great, however the work environment was often slow paced, with the occasional busy holiday rush. Made for the shifts to go by slowly and the enjoyment of going to work to fade.
Good
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 April 2018
More student benefits needed. being a graduate student is great, there are tons of work spaces and the laboratory has all the equipment I need to complete my research.
Great deal of experience with debugging
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 April 2018
It is great working with students, you learn a lot by fixing other people's mistakes and it generally reinforces your understanding of the subject. I would recommend working as a TA at this university.
Fun workplace, yet stressful environment at times
Residence Life Staff Member (Don) (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON11 April 2018
Very valuable experience with my time here, and I continue to work for the university for the years to come. There are some stressful aspects to the position I worked, mainly revolving around mental-health of first year students.
I was a student
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 April 2018
I was a student here and worked in a number of labs as summer research assistant. Good way to get experience in academic labs. The pay is minimal but it is also a good way to get reference letters.
Gain experience in becoming a professor
Proctor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 March 2018
This workplace is a great experience for students that are trying to learn more, and become a professor or teacher in the future.I learned to always be strict and point out if we ever see any cheating on exams.
Just Awful
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 March 2018
They do not care for the vulnerable and marginalized folks who work for them or attend the school. Just awful. They are far more concerned with the bottom dollar and making sure to not upset straight white cis people than attend to the issues trans*, racialized and other marginalized folks face on a daily basis.
Great roll to be self reliant
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 March 2018
Duty rolls include marking, data entry, assisting in student learning, lab prep and take down. A lot of the work done is by yourself, but the lab coordinator is always there to help if you ever need it.
Enjoyable workplace for students
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 February 2018
The paid work experience through WLU is accommodating for graduate students. The atmosphere is not stressful are there are a plethora of outlets where you can receive additional help if needed.
Learning Assistant
Learning Assistant Mentor (Former Employee) –  Learning Services6 January 2018
A great student job with learning services. I was able to balance my class workload and the requirements of the job. I received positive feedback regularly and was able to help develop the role.
improve research skills
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 January 2018
Friendly professor teach everything you want to know. Help you to improver you skill in data analysis, data collection, and report. Very good chance for part time job
Productive and work hours are flexible
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 November 2017
I can work to my own flexibility and independence is a great value one can get from this work experience. The hardest part of this job is keeping yourself engaged and not slack off from the flexibility and freedom you get.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Great school
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 November 2017
I completed my undergraduate here and it was a great place to work and apply my knowledge. Professors were really knowledgeable and helpful in career planning.
Productive and relaxed work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 October 2017
A typical day at work was spent teaching people from a preset lesson plan from my supervisor. I learned how to properly communicate and inspire people for the sake of educating them. I had many helpful fellow teachers in the courses I assisted and it was overall a relaxed and yet productive work environment.
Fun work space
Club President (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 September 2017
Working with clubs was a fun way to get involved and meet people with the same interest and passion as you. However planning events and or meetings can be tedious and at times difficult due to the number of different paths that they require you to follow. Making events could be easier.
Pros
Fun met new people
Cons
Hard to plan events
Contract faculty get treated this way everywhere.
Contract Faculty (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 September 2017
WLU is not unlike other universities and colleges that I know. My friends and colleagues experience similar challenges and limitations when they work as contract faculty at other places.

As a contract faculty member the benefits, salary and job security are very limited. Job culture varies from department to department. The best part of teaching under these conditions is the interaction with students.
Great place to work!
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 August 2017
I really enjoyed my time working here. I worked with many students and lead/facilitated numerous courses and areas of mathematics including Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Statistics.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Radio Show Host (Current Employee) –  202 Regina Street21 June 2017
The company, Arts Laurier, is a student run company connected to Wilfrid Laurier Waterloo campus. The workplace is relaxed yet still very productive due to its management style. As a company it has many pros such as meeting underground artists and getting to know people who are creating such beautiful art. However, the only con to this would be the clarity of what is needed from each employee.