Wilco Contractors Southwest

Wilco Contractors Southwest Employee Reviews

Canada34 reviews
Good place to work. Treated well and management is pretty good for the most part. Always have brand new equipment which is nice. Hours can be tough if you have a young family. 12hr work days and usually 8hr Saturdays
Great people to work with only thing I think should get paid a bit more then 20 a hour. 8ve worked for 2 summers and I am planning on going back for a 3rd summer.
Good people, new equipment, some of the coolest jobs out there. The projects Wilco gets are unique and challenging, it is by far the best part of working for them.

The pay however is utterly miserable. Like it is not ever survivable. You NEED to work a ton of overtime or you will straight up starve to death. Pair that with no rrsp contributions or benefits (not even for seasoned staff) and you have a recipe for poverty.

I really wish these guys could afford to pay a decent wage, because I really did love working there besides that.
In my point of view of working for this company, on a daily basis our job loads would vary. Some days were more productive then others. once and a while tensions would run high in the work shop, which would cause a stressful environment.
No direction, hired for labourer put in machine operating. Treated badly, swore at by Forman. Long hours and expected every Saturday. Lack of communication and direction don't ask what they want because it just makes them nasty on site.
Management in Calgary was good as is the equipment.

Their safety guy is a bit of a nutjob.

Operations managers son works there as an operator and he is a self entitled antagonistic person who tries to fight everyone. (little big man syndrome).

Any big jobs that come up they just sub out the trucking and then their own drivers are out of work for weeks. So no job security.

They do try to get you to work nights.
Pros
Good equipment, management was ok
Cons
Nights, no work, managers son, safety was overboard
I've had a great four seasons with Wilco. I have a great boss and was given autonomy and usually had a good crew to work with. The hours are long and certain sites must work Saturdays, which I always hated. Depending on your boss, the pay is not amazing, but you get overtime and overall I liked the environment.
Don’t waste your time working for Wilco management bullies you to get what they want from you. A few good foreman most are a bunch of idiots can’t even get out of the pick up so fat and lazy
Pros
Don’t exist
Cons
Company as a whole
very bad company to work for as a driver you mean nothing to them no benefits to truck drivers , They treated you like a criminal , they blame the driver for mechanical problems to the truck he is driving and definitely they don't like to fix them , they force the driver to speed and the do over load the trucks big times , and when your pay check finally arrives you better count your hours .
always new top quality machines to run. I've had a new machine every year since i started here. nice fleet of CAT equipment. sometimes lots of pressure to get a lot of work done in a day, but supers are demanding but good to work with. have to grease own machine, clean tracks, do small maintenance. safety stuff is good, can always stop work if need to look at something. had to run skidsteer for a few days but better than staying home.
good place to work, definitely great equipment and great tools. lots of hours and tons of work, but thats a good thing. foreman is good and lets me move up in position each year.
Excellent place to work with lots of room for career advancement. Management cares about employees and helps to instill a good company culture into all employees. Over the years I have learned many things from coworkers and management and have excelled in many categories because of the unwavering support from upper management. Long hours in the summer, however the pay and sense of pride from doing high quality jobs far out weighs and downside to the hours. Safety is of high priority to this company and it shows daily. If you are looking for a job in a fast paced construction industry Wilco would be a perfect fit, especially if you are looking for a company with a very diverse resume and that is truly a professional in the industry.
started here in 2015 and still working and moving up in position. lots of work available, never ran out of projects or places to be. foreman is great, good to work with, crew members are all pretty decent people and all put their work in. long days, but the pay is good and never have to worry about running out of work.
I started as a equipment operator and my seconded year became a foreman, lots of room for advancement at Wilco the site supervisors are more than helpful and are willing to spend the time with you to learn.
I’d recommend anyone that’s wants to learn and get the experience to apply at Wilco
Pros
Room to advance good training safety orintated
Cons
Seasonal
good place to be, came here form another landscape company and glad i did. have moved up a lot in position and wages since i started. supervisors treat you good and they have a good attitude at work. its hard work but good steady hours and good pay.
Pros
great pay, good supervisor
Cons
long days, hard work outdoors
worked here for a few yearsin calgary before I moved away, joined them again in vancouver. great place to turn landscaping into an actual career and get somewhere. started on the shovel, moved my way up every year. long hours, but good work enviroment and the managment were good to work with.
Pros
lots of hours, great pay, room for advancement
Cons
hard work, long days
most Supervisors have patience and will coach you on tasks that you haven't done before

good equipment

very safety aware

great people to work with
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Seasonal
Fleet manager has cameras in shop and screen in his office, feel like you are always been watched. Mechanics are ok to get along with except equipment mechanics think they are the best and don't speak to the other mechanics. There is no lunchroom, eat while you work. Poor shop setup.
Pros
Money
Cons
I was glad to finally have the experience of working in the construction field. I love being part of a team where we can all creat or redo, and make people happy and surprised because of the work that has been done.
Pros
Got to have experience
Cons
Long hours.
good place to work and friendly management, i would recommand wilco to anyone that want a safe and friendly work environement. Lots of hours and pay pretty good.
I worked here for a few years.big company,lots of room for advancement.good training.there are many many branches of Vipond.locations all over north america
Pros
good money
Cons
out of town work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wilco Contractors Southwest. Our community is ready to answer.