Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews

Found 161 reviews matching the search See all 7,578 reviews
It was a fun place to work!
SPECIALTY BUYER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 January 2019
Lots of young people, good culture, great discount. I learned a lot about food and they really empowered us to interact with customers, to try new ideas and to make the job ours.
Engaging and busy place to work
Specialty team member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 January 2019
A very busy environment, always something to do. Management are very understanding and flexible which makes it easy to communicate with them. Hardest part of the job is completing all the tasks in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interactions with the customers.
Pros
good pay
Cons
lots to remember
Busy workplace
Cashier Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 January 2019
- Late and erratic working hours
- Fun workplace but demanding job
- Getting to met new faces and interact with customers is one of the most enjoyable part of the job
- Hardest part of the job is having to lift heavy furnitures
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
Short breaks
Fun, but dependent on management
CASHIER & CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2019
Overall, Whole Foods is a good place to make a few friends, and get a little money while in school or otherwise. It was a very fun environment and management was understanding of students' circumstances. However, that culture is dependent on the managers. I have heard that management has turned over (whole foods has a high turnover rate) and the culture is much different now. I may have just gotten extremely lucky
always think twice.
Produce-Team Member (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 December 2018
they practice about team member hapiness.yes they do until the leadership like you. the longer you stay the more responsibility they give and not even $0.50 increase on your job dialogue. (annual performance review)
Pros
sometimes free food
Cons
they marked your mistakes
Pretty good
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 December 2018
Can't speak for all WFM stores, but the one I was at was pretty good. Team and Store Leadership was always encouraging and made me feel welcome. Great place to start.
Good work atmosphere
Health and Nutrition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2018
Enjoyed working at Whole foods, anyone who has a passion for natural Foods and health products would enjoy this job. Exposed to all sorts of food, and natural health and beauty products at a discounted rate!
Stressful environment with high expectations
Produce reciever (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 December 2018
My time at WFM was a lot of stress mixed with making great new friends and connections. My store manager had very high expectations and (in my opinion) a very poor management style which led to a very low morale among employees.

My direct manager was fantastic, however labor budgets were consistently cut short and the the expectation to stay and work extra hours was always there. WFM pays an amazing time and a half for working any overtime hours (anything over 44 per week I believe) but department managers would be severely criticized for allowing anyone to exceed normal working hours.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
long hours and high stress
work load
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 December 2018
the workload was extremely high, the morning opener for dishwasher duty was not doing his job and was not told to finish his job. Afternoon shifts would be absolutely terrible because the workload of morning shift would have to be done by afternoon shifts at the time.
Pros
Cons
terrible treatment to new employees
They are poorly managed, under staffed and constantly hiring for a reason
Cook (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 December 2018
Back of the house at Whole Foods in Burnaby is a horrible place to work. They do not have on hand the appropriate supplies necessary to carry out your duties on time. And no running around the store for small sizes of these supplies is not feasible. There is a very unsafe steamer that multiple people have been seriously scalded using. I am talking 2nd and 3rd degree burns. You will notice they are always hiring because they treat their staff as disposible often having them work a night shift followed by an early morning shift for example.
Quite the facade. Stsy away if you value your health.
Pros
Coworkers were nice
Cons
Poor pay and management, huge staff turnover, not enough workers
Not recommended
Market Specialist / Buyer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 December 2018
Arrogant team leaders, no friendship in the organization, only concern is no one is loafing around. Heavy work load and pay is tiny with almost no career progress
Great company to work for to jump-start your customer service career
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 November 2018
Amazing company to work for! I felt fully supported by my manager who encouraged my growth within the company. I worked for the company for a total of 6 years and made some lifetime friends. The only disappointing change I saw over the years was the company's change from team member appreciation and support to corporate greed.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Inconsistent schedule and early meetings
Alright place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Yorkville, ON9 November 2018
Whole foods is an overall great place to work. The supervisors and coworkers are an overall great team. Food is great, also get a good discount 20% for most employees. Customers are also awesome. Can create good friendship and even business opportunities because of the demographic around the store; Yorkville, these people make money. However because they know they're better off than most, they can act a bit snobby and like the workers are lowkey slaves; asking you to do the most for them. There are days when the customers can really throw you off on your good days.
Pros
good discounts
Cons
snobby customers
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 October 2018
Great place to work part-time as a student.Excellent place if you are looking to move up in the company.Management is very kind, helpful and considerate
Pros
Events, prizes
Cons
long hours, black-out periods
Very Fun
Grocery Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 October 2018
Typical day at work is very good, and fast paced.
I learned alot about grocery
hardest part about the job was learning about healthy foods
i liked the people
Pros
good hours and good pay
Super environment to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 October 2018
Loved working for whole foods. They took really good care of me as an employee. I ended up with an injury that came from outside of work and they made several accommodations to suit me. They really like to move people up from within their ranks.

I was on cash and the hardest part was dealing with upset customers, usually upset due to other factors and not in store experience. The best part was my co0workers and the positive work environment.
Prepared Foods Disaster
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 October 2018
If you are looking for a job at Whole Foods please reconsider applying for the Prepared Foods department. The branch I currently work at in Burnaby is a complete mess in terms of leadership, the pay is not great for the amount of work that you will have to do, you will not have enough support (meaning never enough people will be scheduled) and instead of fixing such issues the team leader will continue to ask that everyone has to help everywhere even though everyone is already extremely busy on their own assigned stations. From what I've heard most of the other branches are the same when in regards to this department... so I recommend just applying for something else even within another area of the store. Part-time work isn't so bad obviously but full-time will leave you feeling sore and tired for every single day you work here.
Pros
20% off the entire store
Cons
Exhausting and underpaid
Specialty Buyer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2018
Great place to work, fun and nurturing culture. Management is always open to communication.
The challenging part is keeping up with workload and activities. Since you work under a flexible schedule, you do not always enjoy the same free mornings or evenings.
Pros
Good benefits, team member discount
Cons
Low wages, long hours
Close Knit environment with reasonable benefits
Team Receiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2018
It started going downhill when amazon came around and while I loved the environment I worked in and would enjoy the opportunity to go back there it is because of the hardworking individuals there.
Great workplace, management is so-so.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2018
A great work environment with it's quirks.
A fun place to work with interesting products.
Best part is getting to sample and learn about unique products.
Worst part is working for shift leaders who fail to communicate clear instructions.
Pros
Paid sick days
Cons
Difficult staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whole Foods Market. Our community is ready to answer.

52.5K