Whitewater West Employee Reviews

VP of Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 July 2019
If you are in the start of your career I suggest giving WWW a try. They are good hard working people. I enjoyed the challenge of re-starting a new IT department and culture at WWW while engaging in their manufacturing and understanding how technology can assist.
Stay away if if you can
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC16 July 2019
Low pay
Low staff moral
Horrible CEO
HR is no help if you have a serious issue
Promote the wrong staff members
Only staff that get any positive words is sales department
Very long hours , no work life balance
No parking.. always parking issues and the transit in the area isn’t that easily accessible
Pros
Your co workers
Cons
Everything else
Good Environment
Mechatronics Designer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC16 July 2019
Gain a little experience and learned new things. Their Staff are friendly and the management is good. There is not much growth and things becomes repetitive.
Steady repetitive work not too hard
hand rails, safety rails (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC8 April 2019
I would say it isn't a bad place to work if all you want is job stability and good benefits, not much room for advancement or salary raises as it is and ISO certified company.
Do not trust this company.
Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC30 March 2019
This company the management rude and will betray you at any time. Do not believe what looks pretty on the outside. Step out before you get on the inside and find out.
Pros
N/a
Cons
This company the management rude and will betray you at any time.
Chronic poor communication, in-fighting and epidemic micromanagement.
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 March 2019
Chronic poor communication, in-fighting and epidemic micromanagement. The majority of management run on politics and personal agenda with no regard for the greater good or for doing what is right.

Decline in female leadership which seems to be spreading an air of "boys club" almost like an immature circle in high school.

There also seems to be a strange break from reality where the executive are concerned that has allowed the company to lose its foothold on being the best in the world and preferred supplier in the industry.

Losing more and more work to companies that used to be inferior. Hundreds of thousands have been spent on consulting companies and executive coaching only for the executive to completely ignore recommendations on how to improve the culture which has, in fact, taken a massive nose dive over the last few years.

They put new employees on a 6 month probationary period suck talented people's knowledge and get rid of them at any time if they "feel like it". I'm sure the Canadian News Board will have to pay attention to what is truly going on internally. On the outside, it looks very pretty.

Even the most loyal and optimistic employees seem to be looking for work elsewhere. It is a tragic situation for those who have spent years being loyal, hard workers for a company that used to be a joy to work for.
Pros
Not too long of work hours
Cons
Poor naive talented people get sucked their talents away
Poor management, no process to follow, rude and only focused on sales
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 February 2019
DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.

They only look good on the outside but on the inside this is just another scam like business. I heard from new employees their probationary period for new employees is 6 months which means they can kick you out anytime they want during this period. The management is rude and have no plans/clues whatsoever. So much ego and they only focus on playing politics rather than doing real work. There are no parking spots, it's an old building with substandard facilities silos, low pay, dysfunctional product development, and management talks a good story about continuous improvement. In reality they don't make any changes. Management is more interested in chasing the next big sale than adequately supporting projects already on the books. Outsourcing of manufacturing cutting local guys out and hire place cheaper. You don't want to last long here.
Pros
N/a
Cons
parking, poor management, no process, no guideline, just a bunch of old guys who worked there over 5 years trying to survive
Mechanical Assembler and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 January 2018
I enjoyed working for White Water. I have no serious complaints, they were an excellent employer. Fairly laid back environment. Good starting wage, but don't expect a raise.
Pros
Good benefits, job security, good starting wage
Cons
Stagnant wages
great if your in the office
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC22 January 2018
This company is what you would think the average company would be, you get good benefits and the management will take the time to hear you out, but at the same time they over value some aspects of the job and under value others, if you are the best in your department you are forever doomed to be in that position but without changing positions the financial payoff isn't there for the people that do the trades work. So it is great for engineers and other office staff but for the blue collar guys it isn't great. it is a good stop gap to get you where your going ;D
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no way to move into a more prominent role in the company
Money not where mouth is.
VP, Quality & Continuous Improvement (promotion) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC16 October 2017
WW lacks serious commitment to quality and does not really value its employees, despite what it claims. Does not walk the talk in any meaningful way. Too much politics and not enough trustworthiness in executive management and HR.
Pros
Successful company
Cons
Only cares about making the sale. No real concern about customers or employees.
Fast paced constuction work under tight deadlines
Construction Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC4 February 2017
organizing the crew and tool box talk about completion/safety goals for the day and week. With reviews of work quality/safety up to the moment. Being able to come up with solutions to situations that are safe and within budget.
Being on the road missing birthdays, weddings, funerals, most family/friends events.
Travelling the world is a perk as seeing some spectacular things and a lot of things not in travel brochures such as poverty and foreign labor practices.
Pros
Travel, decent pay
Cons
long hrs away from home
White Water West Ltd - A WOW company
Senior Structural Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC18 August 2016
The company moved to Bridgeport road, Richmond in 1986 from Penticton, BC, Canada. I was the first structural/project engineer specialist hired in 1986. Worked from 1986-1994, 1996/1997, 2013-2016

Daily, I am the mentor of the designers, engineers, PMs, contractors, estimators, sales, manufacturing, field supervisor, almost everybody. Created slide, arm, foundation programs, project binders of every slide, supports,foundation and connection details. Dealing with QA/QC, RFIs, RFAs, IFAs, IFCs, Value Engineering, Independent Structural Design Review.

I learned and applied Dynamic Achievement-Powering Excellence” about “Creating a Culture of Service Excellence”. What I learned, I applied and made me “A Vertical Mind” person. I did all projects with emphasis and attention to details, fast track design ,wow integrity, fantastic attitude, delivers work on budget on time or ahead of schedule, mentor team mates to facilitate completion of projects, with a vertical mind set - provided customer intimacy to clients and team mates with clients and team mates feeling satisfied and happy.

The management provided town hall meeting every 3 months for all employees.

The hardest part of the job is how to make EVERYBODY happy specially the people who have SILO mentality.

The most enjoyable is when I am given a challenge to do a job in short notice and complete it on time on budget and ahead of schedule. Interaction with the client making them happy and call me friend. As part of the Lead team, the company was awarded excellence award in 1992 in BC and Canada and awarded again
  more... last year 2015.  less
Pros
Sturbucks coffee all around
Cons
Long hours of work. [12-16]
friendly and easy-going yet structured work environment
Project Management Intern/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 April 2015
Employee-friendly work culture; work could be challenging at times, but this ultimately helped me improve my stress-coping and time-management skills.
Fun Place to work with a lot of opportunity for growth and exposure to foreign markets
Global Logistics & Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC25 March 2015
Whitewater is a great place to work and expose yourself to different areas of the supply chain
It is a very young and diverse and energetic workforce
The sky is the limit if you prove yourself
WWI is a growing company with a lot of opportunity and promise
Pros
Fun place to work, growing company offers career growth and exposure to foreign markets and trade
Cons
Slow descision making, due to the rapid growth, there are sometimes unforseen holes that are created need to be plugged in a haste
Excellent mid size company. Really cares about their employee. Good benefits. Exciting place to work
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 April 2014
A typical day at work would be entering the incoming invoices. The accounting program was Solomon which I became very efficient and quick at in the payable portion of the program. The management and my co-workers were professional but personable. Hardest part of the job is month end. The most enjoyable part of the job is everything else. The company builds water-slides all around the world. What is not to like!
Pros
Witnessing the exciting and new water slides the engineers invented.
Cons
The traffic driving to work
A company with great potential caught between the ways of the past and the ways of the future.
Director of Engineering (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC14 January 2014
Great vision in need of its execution excellence match.
Benchmarking with others might be an eye opener.
Awesome work experience for me.
Help Desk tickets (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC18 February 2013
WhiteWaterWest offered me the opportunity to work with the most current hardware and software for my Practicum. I learned about many different technologies that were only briefly touched upon during my courses. The management there was very generous in providing me with a broad level of experience and provided me with a good understanding of the requirements of the Industry. The people I worked with there were always helpful and happy to share their knowledge. Overall I would have to say the best part of the job was getting to know the many different people throughout the company as I worked on their equipment.