White Spot Employee Review

Dish washer at White spot
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –   5880 No 3 Road24 June 2013
This was probably my least favorable job I ever had. The manager gave me false promises, gave me thirty minute notices for me to show up to shifts when I needed at least thirty minutes of commuting and I was not properly trained. I was trained for two hours on my first shift, after that I was left alone without knowing how to do many things. This gave me a bad experience and I decided to quit shortly after. If I am given the proper training, I will be able to perform any tasks efficiently. This case I did not feel guilty not being able to perform the job as I wasn't trained to perform it properly.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
lack of training

Other White Spot Employee Reviews

You always have something to do, very professional and productive, fun and humorous employees, great people and easy to talk to
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC22 April 2018
White spot was my first job, I did start in dishwasher for a couple of months then I moved up to being a hostess. It was fun, very entertaining and you move around a lot.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No breaks
Decent
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 April 2018
Working at Whitespot was a very bipolar experience. Every time something upset me, another thing happened that would please me. My location had a pretty big staff room with 2 locker rooms (most of which were hogged by people that would take a locker and leave there stuff there forever), a bathroom, and some decent chairs and tables. You also get 60% off your meal (if you're ordering a main dish you'll spend about $6). As is standard with most kitchens, they ask you to be on the line 5 minutes early. You also get all of your uniform (shirt, pants, apron, and hat). Most of the food is prepped (cut and portioned into bags with most of the ingredients for that dish), so it's pretty much the same as playing those cellphone games where you mix and match ingredients. Might be a decent stepping stone into learning the basics of kitchen (since harder concepts and techniques aren't used), but if you're beyond complete beginner in the kitchen, you definitely wont learn much. The scheduling is fair if you're in school, they tend to respect your availability, although it can be very bad if you have a pretty open schedule, as they'll try to put you on "doubles" (2 shifts in a day, sometimes without a break, sometimes with a 2 hour break, which is just as bad). Shifts can range from 3 hours to 8 hours as head, but on average if you move up the slightest, you'll have an average of 4.5 hours/shift. You'll also very rarely have breaks on 5 hour shifts, if you have one and it's somewhat busy, you run the risk of getting talked to by the head chef or even getting held back by an hour or more  more... on your clean up. Although the FOH always gets breaks even if it's only 4 hour shift. For the cleanups, in the kitchen, most stations have at least 1 heavy job. Some stations require you to lift big buckets of extremely hot oil (with gloves obviously), others require you to lift bins of ice (to throw away or fill). You can do the latter in smaller amounts of ice, but that's more work. Finally, what ticked me off was how oblivious the workers were to time worked. One head left it very clear what time he marked you off, but others wouldn't really say or do anything and that lead me to being marked as "off" 15 minutes before I actually left (because they work in increments of 15 minutes for some reason). It's a really archaic system that's not trustworthy and could easily be replaced by computers. It's just 15 minutes, but if it happens 4x in a week, that's an hour. Again, it really depends on who's your superior that day. The coworkers were definitely my favorite part of working there, you obviously wont mesh well with everyone, but most of the staff (in the BOH) is very relaxed and fun to be around, definitely made the experience 10x better. The management on the other hand can definitely be a hit or miss. They're all very nice and chill at their best, but depending on the time of day you'll get the "silent treatment" from one, another one can just be described at ignorant at times, and the other one is a completely amazing person to work with/for but doesn't have as much power as the others. All the managers help in the kitchen when needed. Wages are what I expect working in a kitchen, but could be higher (normally minimum + 3% tips which normally is $1/hr), especially seeing as starting servers make >$20/hr (wage + tips) on busy days and at least $15/hr on slower days, whereas kitchen stays around $13/hr and $14/hr on really good days (the type of day they make >$30/hr) assuming your wage is $12/hr. All in all, it's a somewhat decent place to work in.  less
Pros
Very flexible schedule, 60% staff meal discount, good stepping stone for beginners, very chill coworkers and management, free uniform (although sometimes used)
Cons
"Doubles", some dangerous tasks in one station, low wages, read review, rarely get breaks on 5 hour shifts