White Spot

White Spot Employee Reviews

Loved it

It is a really great place to work and i love all my co workers but minimum wage isn’t enough to support someone also in school. Managers are so nice but will sometimes try and guilt you into covering/not calling in if they know you’re reliable. Slightly understaffed but the staff who are there are always willing to help.

Alright first job, get out as soon as you can.

The job itself is pretty easy, nothing on the menu is that hard to make, and if it's a little complicated there's detailed instructions on how to make them at the press of a button.However, that about sums up all the good parts of the job.The management is lackluster. One manager is new, so she's still getting the ropes, which you can't blame her for. The second manager has been there for around a year or so, having proudly boasted about how much experience he's had working in restaurants in the past, while simultaneously being bad at his job. The third manager's been there for a long time, but digs his head into the sand and doesn't listen to anything anyone says, which is a huge problem when he controls inventory.Let's move on to the coworkers. The back of house workers are, for the most part, lazy. All the work falls to the highest common denominator because no one wants to do anything.

Pros

technically meals aren't free, but if you work back of house no one will bat an eye if you aren't completely bad at your job

Cons

lack of management, hostility and competition within the workplace

I did not like working here

They need to hire a new owner. The current one will fire you if you make a mistake. For example; He fired a server because she forgot to send an order to the kitchen and the fast paced environment makes the job extremely stressful

Fast paced and great learning environment

Started as a dishwasher in aug 2019 , by October I was moved onto the line and worked until may 2021 . Very organized and clean environment, I highly recommend working at whitespot!

Pros

great place to work!

Cons

Gossipy staff

Work good

Every one standing when your get butt handed to in dishpit and have train u for even prepcook or line when I have food safe level 1 and serving it right under paid for how much I do there not fun job there when get there messy dishpit right u walk in they expect u dig your way out of it or u lazy dishwashers that just leave stuff they don’t want to clean

Pros

Food good

Cons

Messy dirty and stressful Place to work under paid

Not great

This was not a good experience for me. Started out washing dished with an unhelpful trainer, who taught me close to nothing. Soon after they realized i could be used on line. Horrible. Got put on a station i had never been trained on on the busiest day. Got yelled at by managers. Some staff helpful and others are a**holes. Ok hours before covid, but even though they promised me job security since I came back before CER ran out, was let go. Would not recommend

Cons

Training horrible, bully workers

Excellent place to work with the Happy team

I really enjoyed working at the White spot, Terrace. The co operation between the team is excellent. Great management support always in needed time. i miss the working atmosphere because I moved to another city.. Love you all team members.

Pros

Team work and Management support

Cons

Kitchen staff also need to pay 50 percent for their duty meal as per the Management rule.

Nice part time job

White spot is a warm environment, fast paced and nice regular customers for the most part. This location was particularly lacking because of management. Communication was bad would accidentally call in two people then have to call off one person. When serving I had also had complaints about the manager whether it was because of take out or a table.. which is very embarrassing because the customer had a problem and they told them they’re wrong or otherwise.. just address it?

Pros

Fast paced, decent tips

Cons

Short hours, splits, only 40% discount

The worst

Working at white spot was one of the worst restaurant experiences I've worked at, and I worked at mcdonalds. The servers were half decent to rude people but not so decent at their job and relied on hosts to do 90% of their job. The training was almost non existent as the manager assigned another host to train you and they didnt even know how to do their own job. Most of the hosts were under trained or not trained at all nor did their job. I ended up having to train someone after my first couple of weeks working and i didnt know what i was doing at all other than showing them what i do. The job was thankfully super basic to understand you do everything for the servers, everything in takeout except cook, clean the restaurant, and all other host duties. You dont make tips other than what u get from take out. there is no flexibility in your schedule and sick does to the managers dont exist. switching shifts will get you introuble and asking someone to cover for you will have you fired. Now the managers, apparently managers are allowed to cuss you out under their breath on the floor in front of people because youre not feeling well or in a happy mood because they didnt let you take the day off. The managers were terrible people who didnt understand how to treat their workers or do their own job. Most of the time they got the scheduling wrong and i ended up being scheduled for time i didnt put available and they constantly put me almost everyday 8 hour shifts, basically full time when im not being paid for that. I constantly had to switch shifts with another host who was a night time -

I hated it

The servers were amazing and helpful to me when i needed it, the kitchen managers were nice when we needed them to help during busy parts but the main manager is kinda grumpy. the owner was cruel and treated the hosts like dirt and had no respect for his staff. the work itself was too much for one person during the busy hours. they’re always hiring because they can’t keep staff because the owner was too arrogant

Pros

Tips and discount food

Cons

not flexible hours and cruel owner

Jobs at White Spot

See more jobs

Not a fan you probably will not be either

I only worked at Whitespot for a short while and it was not that great they did not have a very good system for training and would expect you to just know things you wouldn’t. staff change over is really high and they constantly have indeed posts because they treat there employee’s as highly disposable you think management would figure out maybe they are the problem. All the staff is amazing though and provide amazing customer service!

Pros

Amazing coworkers and good tips

Cons

Mostly everything else

Ok, but training is not good.

Got this as a second job, scheduling was good. Had a pleasant first couple days but it went down hill fast due to a lack of training for the position/ what you are being asked of. Had 2 training shifts and hours of not paid online training that never gave a good understanding of hostessing and the duties. I was already familiar with take out and customer service from previous experience. Every one has their own way of doing things so you have a lot of different opinions flying at you at once, while management may say otherwise. Management has extremely high expectations for the lack of training and vague explanations. Most of the time the fellow employees where great, servers do sometimes take advantage of the host for bussing tables so they don't have to. I got yelled at, and felt as though I hadn't been given the correct tools to succeed in the position. If a customer tells management you said "no" to them (although a server asked you to notify people to wait at their tables to pay, which was the case with me as I hadn't had the training to accept payment other than take out) you get yelled at. Far too many people running the show instead of one way of doing things for front of house. It all makes for an extremely confusing, and stressful work place (and not because of the customers). There is definitely room for improvement from management to make the restaurant work as one not chopped into different areas, understanding, and lots of room to improve in their training so employees can succeed. Salary is min wage plus tips so that's nice but management definitely asks for -

Pros

50% off on shift, 15% all other times, tips

Cons

management, lack of training, no coherence

Good First Job

I will start out by saying your experience working at White Spot will largely depend on management. We went through multiple managers, it was sometimes like night and day depending on who you worked with. The level of support and respect we received was largely dependant on the manager and that will make or break this job for you. We had multiple incidents with managers who were racist, unhelpful, abusive, and one who sexually harassed employees. A day starts out with coming in and finding out the specials, then serving tables. I learned a lot through working here including valuable customer service skills and how to deal with a large amount of stress. The hardest part of the job was when you had to do it all yourself as they send people home to save money. This meant sitting, grabbing drinks, taking orders, running food, and cleaning tables all by yourself if you didn't have a good manager on. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the nice regulars and your co-workers. We had a great relationship and I've made lifelong friendships. This is a great place to work while going to school as long as the hours are there.

Cons

Management, lack of hours

Poor management

I had no orientation whatsoever, they just hired me on the spot expecting me to know everything. And my trainer came in an hour late and apologized hoping there wasn’t any trouble. Also, my trainer was a morning dishwasher but I was hired to work night shifts. So we were in til after 10pm because he wasn’t used to closing the kitchen area. I wished I had a proper orientation where I would be prepared to become an employee.

Pros

6.00 meals

Cons

Poor management

Most enjoyable part is team work .

Good management and well atmosphere to work with bunch of friendly staff !!! I really enjoying the work.I hope lots more changes in menus and added advance machines in kitchen for smooth production.

Dish Pit is a Disaster

At the start of every shift, the dish pit would be piled to the ceiling with dirty dishes, pots and pans, and items of every shape and size imaginable and you would have to dig your way out while keeping up with the dishes that were still coming in. If you try to rush through them, the dishes will just come out dirty and you will have to clean them again, but if you take the time to clean them properly you will just fall further behind. It was a no-win situation and it felt more like some crazy unachievable challenge rather than an actual task you had a chance to succeed at. You could get one free meal per shift on your break, and it was very delicious. Free coffee/tea/pop during your shift was a nice perk too. The management and coworkers were nice.

Pros

Crew meal

Cons

Messy

Not worth it

I worked here for years and you never get very far. The management is poor and will mistreat you. They expect a lot and offer very little. Very quick to turn on staff if things aren’t going their way and always chooses the guest over their employees.

Pros

Tips

Cons

Poor management

Fun Place

Great team the managers are awesome and always help. The staff are all great. One of the best jobs I have had. Training is really good and you get a discount on meals when you are working. They give you a card for 15% all White Spots. Awesome benifits package for the staff.

Pros

Discounted meals and gret benifits

Restaurant Manager made it awful at the Surrey Central location. The job responsibilities were easy to accomplish.

A typical day of work consisted of a checklist including menus, cleaning and washroom checks and attending to all guests that enter the building and finding them suitable seating and bring their cutlery to them. The management team was made of two women who did not create an open and comfortable work environment. Additionally I would have to stay longer after my shift to do extra tasks that the restaurant manager wanted me to do which I was happy to stay. However, she wouldn't pay me for the extra time. She would only pay me for my scheduled shift...The restaurant manager had a my way or the highway attitude and was not open to you wanting to move up in the company. The other manager would gossip and talk badly about another new manager to the other servers and she would do the same about me. Overall I had to leave the job because of the negative work environment.

Pros

discounted meals

Cons

management team, pay

Could have been better

I got along with my coworkers and the dish pit hasn't changed at all. When I'd point out problems I found, management would blow me off and say i was

Wonderful Friendly Staff

My only problem that came from white spot was the inability to earn a livable wage. Unfortunately after I made it through my 3 month probation my labrum tore and I was out of work. By the time I was able to go back I had been ghosted and no one would reply.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at White Spot. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement