White Spot

White Spot Employee Reviews

I only worked at Whitespot for a short while and it was not that great they did not have a very good system for training and would expect you to just know things you wouldn’t. staff change over is really high and they constantly have indeed posts because they treat there employee’s as highly disposable you think management would figure out maybe they are the problem. All the staff is amazing though and provide amazing customer service!
Pros
Amazing coworkers and good tips
Cons
Mostly everything else
The servers were amazing and helpful to me when i needed it, the kitchen managers were nice when we needed them to help during busy parts but the main manager is kinda grumpy. the owner was cruel and treated the hosts like dirt and had no respect for his staff. the work itself was too much for one person during the busy hours. they’re always hiring because they can’t keep staff because the owner was too arrogant
Pros
Tips and discount food
Cons
not flexible hours and cruel owner
Got this as a second job, scheduling was good. Had a pleasant first couple days but it went down hill fast due to a lack of training for the position/ what you are being asked of. Had 2 training shifts and hours of not paid online training that never gave a good understanding of hostessing and the duties. I was already familiar with take out and customer service from previous experience. Every one has their own way of doing things so you have a lot of different opinions flying at you at once, while management may say otherwise. Management has extremely high expectations for the lack of training and vague explanations. Most of the time the fellow employees where great, servers do sometimes take advantage of the host for bussing tables so they don't have to. I got yelled at, and felt as though I hadn't been given the correct tools to succeed in the position. If a customer tells management you said "no" to them (although a server asked you to notify people to wait at their tables to pay, which was the case with me as I hadn't had the training to accept payment other than take out) you get yelled at. Far too many people running the show instead of one way of doing things for front of house. It all makes for an extremely confusing, and stressful work place (and not because of the customers). There is definitely room for improvement from management to make the restaurant work as one not chopped into different areas, understanding, and lots of room to improve in their training so employees can succeed. Salary is min wage plus tips so that's nice but management definitely asks for - more...
Pros
50% off on shift, 15% all other times, tips
Cons
management, lack of training, no coherence
I will start out by saying your experience working at White Spot will largely depend on management. We went through multiple managers, it was sometimes like night and day depending on who you worked with. The level of support and respect we received was largely dependant on the manager and that will make or break this job for you. We had multiple incidents with managers who were racist, unhelpful, abusive, and one who sexually harassed employees. A day starts out with coming in and finding out the specials, then serving tables. I learned a lot through working here including valuable customer service skills and how to deal with a large amount of stress. The hardest part of the job was when you had to do it all yourself as they send people home to save money. This meant sitting, grabbing drinks, taking orders, running food, and cleaning tables all by yourself if you didn't have a good manager on. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the nice regulars and your co-workers. We had a great relationship and I've made lifelong friendships. This is a great place to work while going to school as long as the hours are there.
Cons
Management, lack of hours
I had no orientation whatsoever, they just hired me on the spot expecting me to know everything. And my trainer came in an hour late and apologized hoping there wasn’t any trouble. Also, my trainer was a morning dishwasher but I was hired to work night shifts. So we were in til after 10pm because he wasn’t used to closing the kitchen area. I wished I had a proper orientation where I would be prepared to become an employee.
Pros
6.00 meals
Cons
Poor management
Good management and well atmosphere to work with bunch of friendly staff !!! I really enjoying the work.I hope lots more changes in menus and added advance machines in kitchen for smooth production.
At the start of every shift, the dish pit would be piled to the ceiling with dirty dishes, pots and pans, and items of every shape and size imaginable and you would have to dig your way out while keeping up with the dishes that were still coming in. If you try to rush through them, the dishes will just come out dirty and you will have to clean them again, but if you take the time to clean them properly you will just fall further behind. It was a no-win situation and it felt more like some crazy unachievable challenge rather than an actual task you had a chance to succeed at. You could get one free meal per shift on your break, and it was very delicious. Free coffee/tea/pop during your shift was a nice perk too. The management and coworkers were nice.
Pros
Crew meal
Cons
Messy
I worked here for years and you never get very far. The management is poor and will mistreat you. They expect a lot and offer very little. Very quick to turn on staff if things aren’t going their way and always chooses the guest over their employees.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Poor management
Great team the managers are awesome and always help. The staff are all great. One of the best jobs I have had. Training is really good and you get a discount on meals when you are working. They give you a card for 15% all White Spots. Awesome benifits package for the staff.
Pros
Discounted meals and gret benifits
A typical day of work consisted of a checklist including menus, cleaning and washroom checks and attending to all guests that enter the building and finding them suitable seating and bring their cutlery to them. The management team was made of two women who did not create an open and comfortable work environment. Additionally I would have to stay longer after my shift to do extra tasks that the restaurant manager wanted me to do which I was happy to stay. However, she wouldn't pay me for the extra time. She would only pay me for my scheduled shift...The restaurant manager had a my way or the highway attitude and was not open to you wanting to move up in the company. The other manager would gossip and talk badly about another new manager to the other servers and she would do the same about me. Overall I had to leave the job because of the negative work environment.
Pros
discounted meals
Cons
management team, pay
I got along with my coworkers and the dish pit hasn't changed at all. When I'd point out problems I found, management would blow me off and say i was
My only problem that came from white spot was the inability to earn a livable wage. Unfortunately after I made it through my 3 month probation my labrum tore and I was out of work. By the time I was able to go back I had been ghosted and no one would reply.
Great place to work! Learned how to use a fryer and to clean it. My most enjoyable part of the job was the work environment. The workplace culture was awesome!
Whitespot has been my favourite place of work within the last decade. Management is great. Your job feels secured. There’s always opportunities to pick up more hours and it is very flexible.
i would recommend white spot for anyone thats looking for their first job. white spot taught me a lot about customer service. the pay for being a hostess wasnt too bad but as soon as you promote to being a server the pay its quite bad but you get tips!
Busy, great staff, great guests. If you can work hard you will succeed here. Turn over is very low, management is great. The company is great. Team work makes the dream work.
It's a great company to work for! So many staff members at both restaurant and office levels who have been working for the company for ages (20 years, 30 years or even 40 years). There are staff incentives like a summer picnic, water park, Christmas staff party, appreciation day. The job itself is very stressful. You're on your feet all day. There are bad days and good days. Coworkers are amazing but you gotta stand out to belong to the group otherwise no one will really hang out with you. I didn't care much as I was busy with work and my university studies at the time. Although the job itself is so stressful, I grew so much and I'm very thankful for the opportunity.
Some shifts can be very long if you are working full-time. The management is fairly flexible and will try to cater to your working needs. Some of the staff are unfriendly but the majority are nice people and good to work with. A lot of regulars come into the restaurant and the daily work life can get monotonous.
I learned a lot about customer service here, and a fair amount about organization as well. The workplace culture is pretty casual, but can often feel unwelcoming to new employees. The hardest part of the job is getting accurately and consistently scheduled, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the work itself. The restaurant industry is fast-paced and never boring.
En typiskt arbetsdag bestod av att ta beställningar, servera mat och göra drinkar. Jag lärde mig att ha många bollar i luften samtidigt och att planera snabbt för hur jag skulle kunna göra så mycket som möjligt snabbt och effektivt men samtidigt ge en god service. Den svåraste delen av jobbet var såklart när det var mycket att göra, att personalen gör alla delar själv, även om man arbetar i ett team och hjälper varandra. Men detta var samtidigt den bästa delen av jobbet, att man fick göra alla olika sysslor.
My co-workers were so friendly and I looked foward to work, they were invested in seeing me advance. I loved being on skip the dishes, it let me use my organizational and time management skills and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
  1. Employee reviews