White Spot Employee Reviews

fast pace
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 August 2018
great place to work for a start up serving job. Fast pace and well guided. Management was a little unprofessional at times but overalll enjoyed my experience.
Reason why i got fired
Line Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  405 dunsmir street3 August 2018
So my boss ,deside to fire me because I couldn't work in their kitchen when I was their for a year and a half. Like come on besides my attitude I was fine. I was great with everyone in the kitchen and even the servers everyone loved but the manager. But ya that the real reason why.
Pros
I made a family
Cons
I lost great friends and family
fun
Kitchen manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 July 2018
great restaurant chain great food fun people and clean cooking environment. always smiles on everyones faces whilst working. stressful at times but thats the fun of cooking
Poor all around
Host (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 July 2018
Had such a negative experience working here . There were so much bullying around and nevertheless management did absolutely nothing about it. Constant gossips and dramas and never ending negetivites on a daily basis made the work environment so unbearably toxic. It was significantly affecting me and for those like me who were simply just going there to make some monthly ends meet. On top of it all, there was some serious back of the house and infront of the house communication problems during high peaks of the restaurant . Lots of blaming, lots of frustration, and lack of respect. Restaurant was running as not like a “whole” but rather like two split sides of the restaurant.
It also had a very high turn over rate then your usual restaurant for all of those following reasons . I would avoid working here at least at the location that I worked for. God bless those that are still working in that poor, sad restaurant .
Pros
Staff meals
Cons
Read the review
Garbage management leads to untenable environment.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC20 July 2018
Awful management made this job the worst in my experience. Getting yelled at right on the floor, in front of the guests, for simply trying to do my job right. Hours reduced so low we can't live off the one job, or get benefits. There was the expectation that we'll answer the phone, accept any shift, at any time of day or night, any day of the week. I love the food, and the experience I had as a guest, but I 100% don't recommend working here.
Cool place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC13 July 2018
Lots of fun had at work. Coworkers are super helpful and management is really involved. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interactions with other employees
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
breaks are hard to come by
Typical Restaurant Job
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 July 2018
Understaffed a lot of the time so had tons of tables, sometimes poor management and unprofessional environment. Typical restaurant job, good place to work if you make friends but lots of drama.
Not great
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 July 2018
Salary is low for the amount of work done, Management fairly incompetent. Training is downright terrible, you will be unprepared to do the job. They assign a lot of split shifts. Workers there do not care about putting proper dates on any of the food.
Good environment with friendly staff. A good place for a first job.
Take Out/ Hostess (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC4 July 2018
A typical day at work would be going from a slow pace to fast pace and taking takeout orders, talking to guests, cleaning tables, running food to tables. I bettered my social skills, and learned essential skills for life. The hardest part of the job was sometimes working multiple jobs that multiple people are supposed to do but being the only one scheduled. The most enjoyable part was the great staff members and the regular customers that would come in get to know. The management was mostly OK. A lot of managers would go through this location, and not many stayed long.
Pros
65% staff meals(one meal per shift) + 15% off meals when not working
Cons
bad tips
Coworkers are very nice
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 June 2018
I enjoyed working there as the hours were generous as well as the people I worked with became my good friends. The management however had some difficulty maintaining respect with the employees. Some managers were quite nice and easy to work with which made the environment enjoyable to be in. But, the GM at the time was not polite, nor enjoyable to work with and it made coming to work a hassle.
Pros
Good discount for meals
Cons
Management needs work

Want to know more about White Spot?

Ask a question
Bad pay.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC20 June 2018
You don't get paid much at all , minimum wage for a lot of work so it's not really fair. They definitely could do better with the pay. Other than that though bit was a fine place to work they treated you like family and the tips were alright.
Pros
tips were good, they treated you like family
Cons
split shifts suck.
Fast-paced, social environment with friendly staff and good food!
Hostess (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC30 May 2018
Working at White Spot is always an adventure. A typical day looks fairly busy, but is easily handled as the staff work well together and have bubbly personalities, the energy is always warm and welcoming. Managers & staff strive to make sure everything is in order and customers are pleased with their service, I personally recommend White Spot for families as the overall vibe is quite appropriate for younger audiences.

My favourite part of the job is interacting with customers, making them feel welcome and making sure they leave satisfied. The hardest part is bussing tables. Well, it's not hard but it's definitely not the most enjoyable!

Overall my time at White Spot is well spent and I love working there!
Pros
discounts on food, wonderful staff, fun environment, always busy, flexible
Good experience considering it was my first job.
Fountain Chef (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 May 2018
Wished I continued to work there but I had to quit as they weren't able to give me the time off to go to China with my family during Spring Break.
Learned a lot as my first job and had to learn how to prioritize things.
Difficult starting out as training was not readily available as the trainer was too busy with his work to train me properly.
Pros
60% off Meals, reliable staff, friendly environment
Cons
Very busy on the weekend, short notice with scheduling, understaffed.
Productive and supportive place to work; good teamwork
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC17 May 2018
Acceptable work culture/relationships among staff members; limited number of hours
Hostess: responsible for managing incoming guests for restaurants
Pros
Friendly staff members; team
Cons
Too few hours
Boring
Server (Former Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC16 May 2018
I worked at a bad White spot so it wasn't a great experience, poor management, bad attitudes and little shift consistency. White spit is an average family friendly fast food franchise.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
I'm fat now
Great people to work with
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 May 2018
I wonderful company to work with, there are many opportunities that are afforded to those who want.
Great with food knowledge and ensuring everyone is up to date with new items.
You always have something to do, very professional and productive, fun and humorous employees, great people and easy to talk to
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC22 April 2018
White spot was my first job, I did start in dishwasher for a couple of months then I moved up to being a hostess. It was fun, very entertaining and you move around a lot.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No breaks
Decent
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 April 2018
Working at Whitespot was a very bipolar experience. Every time something upset me, another thing happened that would please me. My location had a pretty big staff room with 2 locker rooms (most of which were hogged by people that would take a locker and leave there stuff there forever), a bathroom, and some decent chairs and tables. You also get 60% off your meal (if you're ordering a main dish you'll spend about $6). As is standard with most kitchens, they ask you to be on the line 5 minutes early. You also get all of your uniform (shirt, pants, apron, and hat). Most of the food is prepped (cut and portioned into bags with most of the ingredients for that dish), so it's pretty much the same as playing those cellphone games where you mix and match ingredients. Might be a decent stepping stone into learning the basics of kitchen (since harder concepts and techniques aren't used), but if you're beyond complete beginner in the kitchen, you definitely wont learn much. The scheduling is fair if you're in school, they tend to respect your availability, although it can be very bad if you have a pretty open schedule, as they'll try to put you on "doubles" (2 shifts in a day, sometimes without a break, sometimes with a 2 hour break, which is just as bad). Shifts can range from 3 hours to 8 hours as head, but on average if you move up the slightest, you'll have an average of 4.5 hours/shift. You'll also very rarely have breaks on 5 hour shifts, if you have one and it's somewhat busy, you run the risk of getting talked to by the head chef or even getting held back by an hour or more  more... on your clean up. Although the FOH always gets breaks even if it's only 4 hour shift. For the cleanups, in the kitchen, most stations have at least 1 heavy job. Some stations require you to lift big buckets of extremely hot oil (with gloves obviously), others require you to lift bins of ice (to throw away or fill). You can do the latter in smaller amounts of ice, but that's more work. Finally, what ticked me off was how oblivious the workers were to time worked. One head left it very clear what time he marked you off, but others wouldn't really say or do anything and that lead me to being marked as "off" 15 minutes before I actually left (because they work in increments of 15 minutes for some reason). It's a really archaic system that's not trustworthy and could easily be replaced by computers. It's just 15 minutes, but if it happens 4x in a week, that's an hour. Again, it really depends on who's your superior that day. The coworkers were definitely my favorite part of working there, you obviously wont mesh well with everyone, but most of the staff (in the BOH) is very relaxed and fun to be around, definitely made the experience 10x better. The management on the other hand can definitely be a hit or miss. They're all very nice and chill at their best, but depending on the time of day you'll get the "silent treatment" from one, another one can just be described at ignorant at times, and the other one is a completely amazing person to work with/for but doesn't have as much power as the others. All the managers help in the kitchen when needed. Wages are what I expect working in a kitchen, but could be higher (normally minimum + 3% tips which normally is $1/hr), especially seeing as starting servers make >$20/hr (wage + tips) on busy days and at least $15/hr on slower days, whereas kitchen stays around $13/hr and $14/hr on really good days (the type of day they make >$30/hr) assuming your wage is $12/hr. All in all, it's a somewhat decent place to work in.  less
Pros
Very flexible schedule, 60% staff meal discount, good stepping stone for beginners, very chill coworkers and management, free uniform (although sometimes used)
Cons
"Doubles", some dangerous tasks in one station, low wages, read review, rarely get breaks on 5 hour shifts
it is a very fun place to work at
Chef (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 April 2018
White spot is a very fun place to work at once you know everyone especially when you first start they are very kind to you and they train you well, step by step
Pros
I got to learn how to make and prep things i didnt know before
just work
Food & Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 April 2018
I work as a supervisor and as a server sometime if some server call in sick, I love the job what i do . i love serving customer , the hardest part of work is work atmosphere , most enjoyable part is talking to the customer