White Spot Employee Reviews

Boring
Server (Former Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC16 May 2018
I worked at a bad White spot so it wasn't a great experience, poor management, bad attitudes and little shift consistency. White spit is an average family friendly fast food franchise.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
I'm fat now
Great people to work with
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 May 2018
I wonderful company to work with, there are many opportunities that are afforded to those who want.
Great with food knowledge and ensuring everyone is up to date with new items.
You always have something to do, very professional and productive, fun and humorous employees, great people and easy to talk to
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC22 April 2018
White spot was my first job, I did start in dishwasher for a couple of months then I moved up to being a hostess. It was fun, very entertaining and you move around a lot.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No breaks
Decent
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 April 2018
Working at Whitespot was a very bipolar experience. Every time something upset me, another thing happened that would please me. My location had a pretty big staff room with 2 locker rooms (most of which were hogged by people that would take a locker and leave there stuff there forever), a bathroom, and some decent chairs and tables. You also get 60% off your meal (if you're ordering a main dish you'll spend about $6). As is standard with most kitchens, they ask you to be on the line 5 minutes early. You also get all of your uniform (shirt, pants, apron, and hat). Most of the food is prepped (cut and portioned into bags with most of the ingredients for that dish), so it's pretty much the same as playing those cellphone games where you mix and match ingredients. Might be a decent stepping stone into learning the basics of kitchen (since harder concepts and techniques aren't used), but if you're beyond complete beginner in the kitchen, you definitely wont learn much. The scheduling is fair if you're in school, they tend to respect your availability, although it can be very bad if you have a pretty open schedule, as they'll try to put you on "doubles" (2 shifts in a day, sometimes without a break, sometimes with a 2 hour break, which is just as bad). Shifts can range from 3 hours to 8 hours as head, but on average if you move up the slightest, you'll have an average of 4.5 hours/shift. You'll also very rarely have breaks on 5 hour shifts, if you have one and it's somewhat busy, you run the risk of getting talked to by the head chef or even getting held back by an hour or more  more... on your clean up. Although the FOH always gets breaks even if it's only 4 hour shift. For the cleanups, in the kitchen, most stations have at least 1 heavy job. Some stations require you to lift big buckets of extremely hot oil (with gloves obviously), others require you to lift bins of ice (to throw away or fill). You can do the latter in smaller amounts of ice, but that's more work. Finally, what ticked me off was how oblivious the workers were to time worked. One head left it very clear what time he marked you off, but others wouldn't really say or do anything and that lead me to being marked as "off" 15 minutes before I actually left (because they work in increments of 15 minutes for some reason). It's a really archaic system that's not trustworthy and could easily be replaced by computers. It's just 15 minutes, but if it happens 4x in a week, that's an hour. Again, it really depends on who's your superior that day. The coworkers were definitely my favorite part of working there, you obviously wont mesh well with everyone, but most of the staff (in the BOH) is very relaxed and fun to be around, definitely made the experience 10x better. The management on the other hand can definitely be a hit or miss. They're all very nice and chill at their best, but depending on the time of day you'll get the "silent treatment" from one, another one can just be described at ignorant at times, and the other one is a completely amazing person to work with/for but doesn't have as much power as the others. All the managers help in the kitchen when needed. Wages are what I expect working in a kitchen, but could be higher (normally minimum + 3% tips which normally is $1/hr), especially seeing as starting servers make >$20/hr (wage + tips) on busy days and at least $15/hr on slower days, whereas kitchen stays around $13/hr and $14/hr on really good days (the type of day they make >$30/hr) assuming your wage is $12/hr. All in all, it's a somewhat decent place to work in.  less
Pros
Very flexible schedule, 60% staff meal discount, good stepping stone for beginners, very chill coworkers and management, free uniform (although sometimes used)
Cons
"Doubles", some dangerous tasks in one station, low wages, read review, rarely get breaks on 5 hour shifts
it is a very fun place to work at
Chef (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 April 2018
White spot is a very fun place to work at once you know everyone especially when you first start they are very kind to you and they train you well, step by step
Pros
I got to learn how to make and prep things i didnt know before
just work
Food & Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 April 2018
I work as a supervisor and as a server sometime if some server call in sick, I love the job what i do . i love serving customer , the hardest part of work is work atmosphere , most enjoyable part is talking to the customer
Fun workplace
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 March 2018
my employers are amazing and I love my coworkers. I have worked here for 2 years and have had so much support from everyone when needed. They really care about us and about the customers as well.
Good brand to work for
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 March 2018
Very good brand to work and I am really proud of my job and really good environment to work.All the team like a family and we have opportunity to serve 3 to 4 generations of the same family people.
Friendly and busy workplace
Server/ Service Coach (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC25 March 2018
I learned so much about the service industry while being a part of the team at WhiteSpot Squamish. With the supportive management and hard-working staff, I was able to gain the experience needed to be an fast and efficient server.
Pros
Excellent management, great learning environment, team building
Cons
Gratuity dependent
Good working environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Langford, BC24 March 2018
Great staff and customers, very welcoming place to work in. High paced restaurant, very big. As a host there, the job mostly consists of bussing and clearing tables, assisting servers and greeting and seating people. I loved working there, the only downside would be limited hours if you are a host wanting to work full time.
Fun and fast paced work environment
Hostess/Server/Fountain Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC21 March 2018
A typical day at work and White Spot, Squamish, BC would be greeting the day staff and being updated on the on going business in the restaurant such how busy it was, what is out of stock, what side jobs still need doing, etc.

White Spot was one of best serving experiences in my serving career because of the commitment the management had to be apart of all aspects of the restaurant. Management did not have a problem getting their hands dirty and treated their staff fairly. They were very approachable and accommodating.

White Spot's workplace culture is very community oriented. You are more than likely working with people you would see around the community.

The hardest part of the job of being a server at White Spot is knowing how to keep up. This restaurant is extremely busy and to be a server there you need to know your stuff.

The most enjoyable part of work there are the people you work with. The management does a great job of choosing the right people for jobs that need to be done.
Pros
Great work evironment
Cons
There aren't any
fun place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC28 February 2018
fast paced work environment, everyone is friendly and supportive. only downside was one manager picked her favorites and you definitely were underpaid and underappreciated. hours werent that good either.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not enough hours.
Good place for early work experience
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 February 2018
Working at Whitespot as a hostess was my first job and did help me learn basic things about the workplace such as responsibility, accountability, and communication. The staff was very welcoming and always friendly, however management was at times difficult to work with or difficult to contact. It was difficult to move up to anything other than a hostess even after having gained some seniority.
Great place to work.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC23 February 2018
Had many adventures in cooking and with the staff but can honestly say that the food was great too. I would love to eat there even if I don't work there anymore.
Pros
Wage
Good food
HOST AND TAKEOUT ORDERS LEAD (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 February 2018
It is a good place and has good food. people are nice and friendly. sometimes there are people that try to make your life miserable in the workplace but if you just stay positive and do your job properly, be confident in yourself and ignore people like that you will be fine. The good thing about this place is that they have Unifor. and if they do anything that you feel like it is wrong you can tell Unifor.
Pros
staff meals
Cons
Definitely fun but could be stressful
Server (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC18 February 2018
I had so much fun working here. Whenever it would get busy, my eyes would light up and I would be excited to work, It was great! The management could have been kinder to the employees and treated them with more respect rather than just stupid grunts but it was good nonetheless.
Fun to learn
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 February 2018
I learned how to use the dishwasher and always wear a apron when your washing dishes so you won’t get wet
And put away dishes gently without dropping them
Pros
Long breaks
Very hardworking
Restaurant Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 January 2018
Whitespot is a really fun engergitic place to be in i had a lot of fun volunteering. Its a great community with alot of nice people around me showing and teaching me everything about the work place
Pros
Cons
Free lunches
A great, fun, high-volume restaurant with wonderful staff and amazing food!
Server/Bartender/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC25 January 2018
White Spot restaurant has been an amazing place to work. I have been able to move up in the company quickly and I am able to get the hours that I desire, full-time. They have been extremely accommodating while I was attending university by working around my hectic school schedule. I take great pride in White Spot’s goal to use fresh, local ingredients. All of my interactions with upper-management have been positive. A very positive learning environment.
Pros
Free food (for management), great co-workers, good hours
Cons
Hard on the body
Dreaded going to every shift!
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC18 January 2018
Unorganized management which stresses all the other FOH. Not to mention the staff is rude and when I showed up for training they put me on right away bussing when I was hired to seat.
Pros
good tips
Cons
rude workers