Whistle Bear Golf Club Employee Reviews

don't do it
Event Server (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON31 August 2019
Worked at WB for a summer and could not wait to finish. Good hours, but not nearly enough compensation for what we do. Will work a 13 hour shift with one unpaid 30min break and *staff meal* that is actually just hours old leftovers from the weddings that come off your pay check. Coupled with the managers getting mad when you sit down for a 3 minute break at 1am - not worth it.
Communication is also horrible. Our last pay check we were told after not getting the direct deposit per usual was actually in the form of a check - went to go pick it up and was told they were not ready.
Overall just a really disappointing job with management treating the servers horribly.
Event Server
Event Server (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 August 2019
Horrible management. I was hired for a part time position just before training for all new hires began and the only shift I got in 3 months was because I had to pick it up myself. Hours go from 3pm-4am and you get one 30 minute unpaid break. Co-workers seemed friendly, management was rude. Only good part was the staff meals.
Horrible
Event Server (Former Employee) –  Events16 August 2019
My teenager worked for Whistle Bear for far too long with horrible hours and no respect. The servers are expected to work 10-13 hour shifts with only one UNPAID 30 min break. Oh and don't try to be good at your job because management will want to keep you there and never give you a chance to move up. ALSO, servers don't see a cent of gratuity or tips. Schedules are never out in time, emails are rarely replied to and management gets mad when you book one day off a year when you're only a part-time worker.
I am so happy my child quit because of the never-ending stories of how horrible every shift was.
Pros
Most coworkers are so nice and fun
Cons
Long hours, management cannot handle job, no tips/grats
Poor experience
Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 August 2019
I have loved working with kind and fun people but the management is very poor. Does not care about your mental health or valid reasons for time off. Hours are poor with one half hour break for 13 hour shifts. Get yelled at for eating a cracker. Gives false promises. I could go on for as long as the shifts they give you, but no time for that.
Poor management
Concierge/Maitre D (Former Employee) –  Cambridge23 April 2019
Management there is extremely poor. I went an entire month without my manager talking to me. They will punish you if you try and take any time off, even though you are an hourly worker. Stay away from Pearle's properties.
Fun and Relaxed Work Environment
Assistant Professional (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON31 October 2018
A very busy club with lots to do. Plenty of hours for anyone looking for a summer position. Great job with a great membership.

Highly recommend for students looking for with a labour job in turf care or customer service on the golf services side of things.
Very fun place to work and everybody is always happy
Sole Proprietor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 January 2018
Incredible place to work. Everybody is so nice and the environment is all centered around a game which every person who is there is having fun doing.

As an instructor it is very gratifying knowing you're helping somebody get better at a game that they love
Pros
Helping People
Cons
winter months are very slow
Awesome workplace
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 April 2017
Great people, great hours, get to work outside, beautiful course.
Felt as if the maintenance staff was not included in the entire whistle bear family.
Pros
Management, work.
Cons
Maintenance left out, no extra pay when working on holidays
Great food great place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 October 2016
Loved working there has great food very clean organized friendly get people to be around.

The head chef is pretty awesome, kind, nice, caring
Pros
Have staff meals
Experience
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 August 2016
I enjoyed the experience and gained new skills. I learned the benefits of being cordial and kind to coworkers and customers.
Management difficult to work with
Server (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 May 2016
Job changes from supervisor to supervisor. some of them very rude and mean. Work from 3 in the afternoon until 3 in the morning and get yelled at in front of others for things I didn't do - don't need that kind of treatment. Managers don't seem to care. Has gotten worse as time goes on. Co-workers are good and fun to be with and make the job barely tolerable. I work at another club that pays better and treats people better - would be there all the time but they can't give me more hours.
Pros
Co-workers, good staff food
Cons
Managers don't care about you - just a body to fill space
An enjoyable experience
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 February 2016
It was fun to work there, they hired a lot of students so it wasn't hard to make friends, and it was a very demanding job, but I felt good when I got home after a shift.
Pros
Staff meal was served every shift
Cons
I rarely got staff meal
Productive work place always go in motivated to work
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON28 September 2015
good work environment with nice people. was able to gain skills in communications with the guest. learned how to work in teams and do everything on the clock. hours are in the afternoon till after midnight. the most satisfying feeling is making peoples events go really well and having them compliment your service.
Pros
staff meal
Cons
late hours