Whissell Contracting

Whissell Contracting Management reviews

Canada45 reviews
Worked for Whissell on a few occasions and the safety program sure has improved over the last few years. Safety is different by location, Lethbridge being the worst they need to get a new safety person. The HR department is terrible and is the worst I have ever seen, they don't appear to have a clue. Another down fall is Whissell does not pay industry average, which is the reason of the HUGE turnover, probably because of HR has no idea about the business. Some superintendents are good, others simply make the company look bad. I give Whissell 4 stars for the safety program, .25 for HR, 2 for field supervision and a solid 1 for senior management.
Pros
Safety, People
Cons
Hr, Senior Management, micro managing general manager
Would not reccomend working for this company.
"You are not just a number, you are family"

- is a lie.

Young lead hands trying to manage with no experience.

Worst experience with this company from the start.

Lazy co-workers. 18 -22 years old looking for a paycheck.

Dont make me say, I told you so!

Good luck!

Pros
Cant think of one.
Cons
Young kids as lead hand. You will not have the proper training. Management needs huge improvement.
This company needs a reset through and through. The ownership is more worried about his personal stuff(race cars) than the company itself. The upper management is threatened by any one showing initiative to improve things. Some great people in lower positions that are becoming more and more frustrated.
Pros
Some very skilled people work here.
Cons
8 hour pay, 12 hour day. No respect.
I like this company working for it was enjoyable the people were nice and the atmosphere was calm and collected. Upper management was also very kind and compassionate towards employees
Put your head down and work they like that. Show up on time and not under the influence of drugs are alcohol. Respect and listen to the old guys they have knowledge.
Their online orientation was amazing compared to any other construction companies I have ever work for. I just wish they would have followed their own orientation guidelines. I would have to say that it was so unorganized and quite disappointing. But I also know the office has changed management a few different times. was shifted around like a sheep and had no idea where I was going to be the next day otherwise the people we're pretty decent to work with. It just seemed that they were pretty new to the industry
Work life balance is awful. I have seen management be little the crews. Work tomorrow 12 hour days with 2- 15 minute breaks. Slave labor, and underpaid by far would not recommend this job to anyone..
Whissell was good to work for you are never pressured to complete any task in an unsafe matter. They are very much into doing things by the book and not in the grey area of the law.
This is a fantastic company to work for! The management is always willing to help you and are very focused on safety. There is room for advancement and learning new things. They have a great benefits package as well as safety bonus.
I worked there for 2 years and from the start it was "who's side you on"? Accusations and turnover was insane. The workers were great but the mgmt team were blind. Nepotism and friends were the hiring criteria
Cons
No bonus for employees in 5 years
would not recommend it was very unbalanced like all you did was work and nothing is guaranteed for hours come winter and the supervisors or foreman treat their employees like complete garbage I ended up leaving after a complete mental breakdown. this job destroyed me.
Used to be a great place to work, new management just care about money, is not enough now just work hard and keep advancing and learning, before all this change I advanced a lot and I will be always thankful for that, is time to move.
Pros
Apprenticeship opportunities
Cons
Two years ago this company had it figured out and looked like a positive future for us then it changed, now your meat in the seat, no respect given to any of us. Was not like this two years ago, but with a revolving door and the good management gone we are left to fend for ourselves with an unskilled management team. It’s spring time soon and we can go work elsewhere hopefully.
Pros
Not a lot
Cons
Owner and upper managment
has a great culture within individual crews management needs a little bit of work, otherwise great benefits and opportunities to progress and advance.
Pros
people
This place is like the worst place ever to work at.Being centered out and made to look like a fool and laughed at.Everybody at the top has too like you or you get nowwhere.Wasted almost 4 years hear and when they thought they drained everything they could iut of me they got rud of me.GOOFS AWARD GOES TO WHISSELL
Pros
Cons
Getting lured back every year
Lacking on proper senior management
Although lots of good people in lower management positions
And operators

When the pushes on you or just meat in the seat

Overall an OK place to work
Pros
It’s a pay day
Cons
Meat in the seat
Upper management cannot get out of this place fast enough. Underground Supt of 30 years quit
Earthworks Senior/General Supt quit

head of HR quit

head earth works estimator gone

Operations Manager gone

Head estimator for Industrial quit

Project manager gone

Underground general Supt gone

this is all in 6 months
Pros
The president/owner is a decent man tring to grow a good company
Cons
Everyone walks in fear of losing their job everyday
Controller was great to work for, company needs a complete one over in terms of management. Like being left to do my job without constant micromanagement but I often didn't know what my job was.
Pros
No micromanagement
Cons
Financial issues
Management is way above average; They really care about their staff and future.
Manager and supervisors are family oriented and are Human in all aspects.
Pros
People's company
Cons
A mans workplace, if your a woman its about "working your way to the top". Never happy with the work you complete, and always a complete disorganized mess.
Pros
pay cheque
Cons
poor management
The start of the day was doing preventive maintenance on the equipment then a tailgate meeting to decide the course of action the daily activities. Doing this job I have to learn to step up my game to make the daily quota or exceed it. Management was always around if questions needed to be asked. My co-workers were a great bunch of people to work with. The hardest part of the job was the maintenance on the crusher equipment and getting it done in a orderly fashion. The most enjoyable part of the day was the feeling that we had beaten the daily quota.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Daily maintenance