Whissell Contracting

Whissell Contracting Employee Reviews

Canada41 reviews
When it was busy things would get chaotic, communication was always an issue. When it was slow it was very boring and there was no guarantee of work when the weather was bad. I really liked the fact that I was allowed to bring my dog to work with me. This was a huge plus as she would help pass time when things were very slow as well as provide stress relief when things got too much.
Pros
I could bring my dog
Cons
Long Hours and seasonal
Love being able to work outside and on different projects. It is great being able to see the province and experience the different terrain while doing so.
I love this company the best company I highly recommended this company to work to learn good communication good staff very safty All the staff everyday have safty orientation. I love it
I like this company working for it was enjoyable the people were nice and the atmosphere was calm and collected. Upper management was also very kind and compassionate towards employees
Put your head down and work they like that. Show up on time and not under the influence of drugs are alcohol. Respect and listen to the old guys they have knowledge.
Their online orientation was amazing compared to any other construction companies I have ever work for. I just wish they would have followed their own orientation guidelines. I would have to say that it was so unorganized and quite disappointing. But I also know the office has changed management a few different times. was shifted around like a sheep and had no idea where I was going to be the next day otherwise the people we're pretty decent to work with. It just seemed that they were pretty new to the industry
Typical day at work, do your assigned job and go home.
People are good to work with, equipment could use some proper fixing.

Communication is key and could be worked on here like everywhere.

Pay is okay, vacation pay is a good percent, RRSP matching is good.

Company safety bonus offered.
Work life balance is awful. I have seen management be little the crews. Work tomorrow 12 hour days with 2- 15 minute breaks. Slave labor, and underpaid by far would not recommend this job to anyone..
Whissell was good to work for you are never pressured to complete any task in an unsafe matter. They are very much into doing things by the book and not in the grey area of the law.
This is a fantastic company to work for! The management is always willing to help you and are very focused on safety. There is room for advancement and learning new things. They have a great benefits package as well as safety bonus.
I worked there for 2 years and from the start it was "who's side you on"? Accusations and turnover was insane. The workers were great but the mgmt team were blind. Nepotism and friends were the hiring criteria
Cons
No bonus for employees in 5 years
Worked for Whissell on a few occasions and the safety program sure has improved over the last few years. Safety is different by location, Lethbridge being the worst they need to get a new safety person. The HR department is terrible and is the worst I have ever seen, they don't appear to have a clue. Another down fall is Whissell does not pay industry average, which is the reason of the HUGE turnover, probably because of HR has no idea about the business. Some superintendents are good, others simply make the company look bad. I give Whissell 4 stars for the safety program, .25 for HR, 2 for field supervision and a solid 1 for senior management.
Pros
Safety, People
Cons
Hr, Senior Management, micro managing general manager
i worked for them for 3 seasons. i got layed off every winter even when i was told there was winter work. i would then find out that people who had been with the company less got to work. so if you are sleeping with foreman or higher up then there is a chance you will succeed.
Pros
bonus at the end of the year
Cons
don't treat loyal employees fairly
would not recommend it was very unbalanced like all you did was work and nothing is guaranteed for hours come winter and the supervisors or foreman treat their employees like complete garbage I ended up leaving after a complete mental breakdown. this job destroyed me.
I have learned a lot about a gravel crusher and operating some basic equipment needed for gravel production. How to be a team player and do the best you can to finish the job
Pros
fun workplace and good people to work with
Cons
not steady hours
Great work life balance, awesome people in the Calgary office. Great location and overall good place to work. Would recommend it to anyone looking at stable industry.
Used to be a great place to work, new management just care about money, is not enough now just work hard and keep advancing and learning, before all this change I advanced a lot and I will be always thankful for that, is time to move.
Pros
Apprenticeship opportunities
Cons
Two years ago this company had it figured out and looked like a positive future for us then it changed, now your meat in the seat, no respect given to any of us. Was not like this two years ago, but with a revolving door and the good management gone we are left to fend for ourselves with an unskilled management team. It’s spring time soon and we can go work elsewhere hopefully.
Pros
Not a lot
Cons
Owner and upper managment
I have learned everything i know about sales at this company and from the founder. Great company to work for and is involved in a verity of different work.
Pros
Lots of room to grow
Cons
commission based so you need to be an active sales personnel.
has a great culture within individual crews management needs a little bit of work, otherwise great benefits and opportunities to progress and advance.
Pros
people
Companys office and field are vastly different. This company is not afraid to spend money when needed and are very keen on safety that being said there is alot of down time and different supervisors on site
Pros
Very safety oriented
Cons
Lots of down time
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whissell Contracting. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9