Weyerhaeuser logo

Weyerhaeuser Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.4Job security & advancement

Overall not a bad place

Good people to work with, training is great but the work can be hard if you have a strong work ethic, if your lazy its not bad. Pay is extremely low especially if you come from the oil patch to the mill, very hard to make a living unless you have absolutely no payments and maybe a wife working. It was nice to have a beard but they make you trim it after 4 inches lol but the best thing about working there is you're home every day and once you leave the mill there's no phone calls or Emails about your shift you just punched. It was hard getting use to 30 minute lunch break and two 15 minute breaks over a 12 hour shift because you stand most of the day and throw around green lumber. Great starting career for someone just out of high school because they have a great retirement plan, I wouldn't recommend starting there if you are in your 40's or 50's. Very safety sensitive place to work, lots of saws and moving equipment, no exceptions to lock out tag out when doing maintenance. If you don't follow rules the mill is not for you.

Pros

Home life is excellent and you can have a beard

Cons

Very low pay and hard work

Awful toxic environment

The only good thing about working at Weyerhaeuser is the pay. The people you work with here are toxic, snitches who get off on getting other people in trouble and picking on the ones trying to do the job safely and effectively. There are clicks and if you don't join the popular click you immediately are saught to be rid of by the click. (Fired/laid off) they will do anything to get you out.

Pros

Money

Cons

Toxic competitive environment, long hours, poor safety.

Productive and work excellent

I have never worked for a company who respected their employees more than Weyerhaeuser. Management right down to the Union leaders treated us all with so much respect. Setting up the disability management program for this company was one of the greatest accomplishments of my career. The ability to learn and implement the program was a phenomenal success. I would recommend this company to anyone!

Pros

Benefits, salary, work life balance.

Great place to work and a good work life balance. Benefits are very good and the work keeps you on your toes! lots of different areas in maintenance you can put focus into

Very short lived.

I was injured very shortly into my employment. Ordered on light duty then let go 2 weeks after Dr.s release. Started off on the wrong foot sort on speak.

Odd hours and stressful

Weyerhauser is a great place to work if you enjoy working in high stress conditions and night shift. They pay very well and ensure safety before production attitude. Don't recommend it as a life career because of night shift but very good to quickly get ahead with little or no school.

stay in school,, don't work here

The management doesn't know it's left arm from its right arm. You can be fired for being hurt here. Be prepared for bullying by management. The head guy is a kid who hires his buddies. Problems abound in this older, dirty mill. Clean up just sits there. Long hours and the overtime goes to taxes, so, not worth it. Unless you are a total loner with no family and no friends, then this is place for you. You will sign your life away to work long dirty days by yourself. It takes someone to get hurt before they put the proper signage up. Then they act like its your fault you got hurt. Cleaner uses Windex to clean everything. They don't disinfect, so cold season is a nightmare here. Weyerhaueser scabs out labor to contractors. These lower paid scabs get no benefits and are always on call, they have been using scab labor for seven years straight now to save on costs and not pay benefits. These scabs are well loved and will take a Weyerhaueser employees' job. Typical non union American company that doesn't care about it's Canadian workers, only that it can get logging contracts for the cheap Canadian stumpage fees. All American logging has to be paid for as its on private property. Here in Canada, they just take advantage of the Crown Land. Very corporate culture. Just rude.

Management and veteran employees enjoy bullying and harrassment

The new production manager enjoys bullying his subordinates. He is vindictive and holds grudges anytime you question or call him out on something he is doing that isnt proper. I was served a disciplinary letter for making a worksafe claim, a claim and return to work program that management, HR, and the adjuster all agreed to. When I came back fit for work i was told if I took another sick day I would be fired. There is no advancement here. They show favoritism for the people who.act buddy buddy with the manager or shift workers, even if they aren't good at their job. I was told by supervisors and shift workers that I was doing a very good job and excelling and showing promise, but after a review of my performance with the production manager, I was told i was not a team player and not working hard enough. Despite that year working more overtime then I could ever imagine. You start on the call list. You are guaranteed your hours but not the days. So you may work 5 12 hour night shifts In a row before a day off. Or you may have a night shift with half a day off then a day shift. They boast about how much.easier it is for your home life but good luck ever getting a day off or vacation day that you want. You don't get to use your vacations for shut downs, you come in and do some of the worst work imaginable. Dirty and difficult. This plant doesnt care about safety they just care about paper work and appearance of safety. They put production first. 2 associates were told to clean an area without locking out by a supervisor, and then disciplined and one fired afterward for violating -

Pros

Salary

Cons

Everything else

I wish I was never a part of “this team”

I thought my employers would be there for me but they were not. I wish I never worked for them. Biggest regret of my life.............................

Pros

I got away

Cons

I was hired

excellent company

upper management not conceited. Treat staff very good. excellent pay and benefits. compensated for extra effort and promote and will train for career advancement.

Pros

good culture

Cons

nil

Jobs at Weyerhaeuser

See more jobs

Fun Place to work

good place to work, average work life and personal life balance, no room for advancement, great place to learn a trade, great co-workers, good time off

Well respected employer within our community

I began there immediately after graduating and only left because I was relocating to the Lower Mainland. It was a great experience and thoroughly enjoyed the co-workers.

Depends on the area you work in

This company has some great qualities such as location to town, room for growth, training and advancement, as well as an average benefits program. However, it does turn a blind eye to health and safety when it comes to a few areas of the mill.

Pulp and Paper Heavy industry

I worked for 27 years at Weyerhaeuser or one of its previous iterations bowater,avenor,cp forest products,great lakes forest products,reed paper all one and the same. Progressed from call crew up tp shift supervisor in finishing room ,then onto materials and asset analyst before being structured out.

Pros

steady employment great people advancement opportunities.

Cons

hot smelly sometime long hours

Very friendly and easy to work with coworkers

I have had a great time working with Weyerhaeuser, but was only on a one year contract. I would like to stay and work with them as they are a very good company to work with. They make easy to come into work every day.

Stable work environment with many opportunities for growth.

Weyerhaeuser was an extremely safe environment to work in with a never ending opportunity for growth within the company. The management was very accommodating and helpful. Their salary and benefits package were exceptional.

Large corporate Company

Large corporate Company with the classic cubical environment. Other opportunities with in the company. largest engineered lumber company in north America.

Great company

the company always considered its employees and gave equal amount of shifts, included benefits after 3 months. and made needed arrangements for employees. worked for the company for 16 years

Not that great

Claims safety is key but is more concerned with production then safety. Not very friendly environment, ask the wrong persona question and they will make your life miserable. If you stand up for yourself you will be fired.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Long hours, poor training, favouritism, Not a good place to work.

Moving up

I was given a chance to improve myself and move up the ladder over years. given chance to work on different project. over years lot change in management with different style haven to proof yourself all over again time after time.

Pros

chance to move up ladder

Cons

Very slow at promoting employees

Contract Role

It's a very good learning curve for me to understand Federal Government and Private sector organization work style.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Weyerhaeuser. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement