Weyerhaeuser

Weyerhaeuser Employee Reviews in Grande Prairie, AB

Negatives -Use to be a really good company to work for -Now Poor management who aren't for the employee but for themselves -Will take any opportunity to throw someone under the buss -Forces you to take sick days for workplace injuries and than uses it against you when you apply for another position within the company! -Management goes behind your back to change your timesheet without consulting you about the time you've entered or when you swiped in on to company property Positive -Good thing is you have 3 day weekends and ok pay -Home every night -Work outside with fairly new equipment
The only good thing about working at Weyerhaeuser is the pay. The people you work with here are toxic, snitches who get off on getting other people in trouble and picking on the ones trying to do the job safely and effectively. There are clicks and if you don't join the popular click you immediately are saught to be rid of by the click. (Fired/laid off) they will do anything to get you out.
Pros
Money
Cons
Toxic competitive environment, long hours, poor safety.
I'm am giving my 5 Stars review to them. The work was sometimes hard, but they treat they're employees with fairness, respect, kindness and like family, and to me that makes such a big difference.
Weyerhauser is a great place to work if you enjoy working in high stress conditions and night shift. They pay very well and ensure safety before production attitude. Don't recommend it as a life career because of night shift but very good to quickly get ahead with little or no school.
The management doesn't know it's left arm from its right arm. You can be fired for being hurt here. Be prepared for bullying by management. The head guy is a kid who hires his buddies. Problems abound in this older, dirty mill. Clean up just sits there. Long hours and the overtime goes to taxes, so, not worth it. Unless you are a total loner with no family and no friends, then this is place for you. You will sign your life away to work long dirty days by yourself. It takes someone to get hurt before they put the proper signage up. Then they act like its your fault you got hurt. Cleaner uses Windex to clean everything. They don't disinfect, so cold season is a nightmare here. Weyerhaueser scabs out labor to contractors. These lower paid scabs get no benefits and are always on call, they have been using scab labor for seven years straight now to save on costs and not pay benefits. These scabs are well loved and will take a Weyerhaueser employees' job. Typical non union American company that doesn't care about it's Canadian workers, only that it can get logging contracts for the cheap Canadian stumpage fees. All American logging has to be paid for as its on private property. Here in Canada, they just take advantage of the Crown Land. Very corporate culture. Just rude.
I have been at weyerhaeuser for over 8 years and I love my team mates and it is an all around amazing place to work. The company is good to their employees as well as reward you with food and nice weyerhaeuser attire. Say good job when we over exceed our goal.
Pros
The people and the pay
If you don't fit in with the crew your wasting your time. If your not part of the "click" then you will be made to feel like you are trash and unwanted. Management is a joke as well. Safety is a joke. I wouldn't recommend working at this circus to my worst enemy.
Cons
Good people to work with, training is great but the work can be hard if you have a strong work ethic, if your lazy its not bad. Pay is extremely low especially if you come from the oil patch to the mill, very hard to make a living unless you have absolutely no payments and maybe a wife working. It was nice to have a beard but they make you trim it after 4 inches lol but the best thing about working there is you're home every day and once you leave the mill there's no phone calls or Emails about your shift you just punched. It was hard getting use to 30 minute lunch break and two 15 minute breaks over a 12 hour shift because you stand most of the day and throw around green lumber. Great starting career for someone just out of high school because they have a great retirement plan, I wouldn't recommend starting there if you are in your 40's or 50's. Very safety sensitive place to work, lots of saws and moving equipment, no exceptions to lock out tag out when doing maintenance. If you don't follow rules the mill is not for you.
Pros
Home life is excellent and you can have a beard
Cons
Very low pay and hard work
good place to work, average work life and personal life balance, no room for advancement, great place to learn a trade, great co-workers, good time off
they treat you like an idiot. safe hard work means very little, and only butt kissing gets you anywhere. the only way to stand the place for any length of time is to stop caring.
Pros
wage
Cons
everything but the wage
good job for shift work. lots of overtime available. good overtime pay. after a couple month you feel the changes in day and night shift work. most of the team is great to work with. not the healthiest place to work tho.
Pros
good pay when working OT
Cons
not the healthiest place to work in the sawmill, management sucks
I enjoyed my time with them, although it was only a week and a half I worked with them. They're nice, helpful, attentive and caring for their employees.
Pros
Great break periods
Cons
Working graveyard shift.
They had great working hoursThey offered interesting workWorkload was achievableTypically the work day was same as the lastEnjoyed working independently
Cons
A typical day at work was very busy, the people are very good to work with. The management is very knowledgeable and willing to help. The hardest part of the job for me was the hours I had to work, it was hard to have a social life while working here.
Pros
pay & benefits
Cons
hours
I worked here during a two week shut down and therefore it is hard to give a truthfull opinion of what it is reallly like to work there full time as a regular employee.
i run the dry kilns which means i dried the lumber that was to be used in buliding anything that was built with lumber also drove a cat 938g cat loader for 17 years
Pros
great people
Cons
bad managment
I enjoyed working for Weyerhaeuser. The people on my crew were amazing for the most part. The shift was 4am-12pm, and it really took a toll on your body, but it was also nice to be done that early. The work environment was pretty good for the most part, some of the other crews didn't really acknowledge the crews around them. So we generally just stuck to ourselves.
Although I've worked for Weyerhaeuser before, I am fairly new to this site. So far my new position is very enjoyable. I am responsible for the safe and efficient operation of heavy equipment (Portal Rail Crane, Loaders & Excavators)