Weston Foods

Weston Foods Employee Reviews in Cobourg, ON

assemply line of making many snacks, all in cdifferent areas throughout the plant, wearing protective to keep product from being contaminated. Lots of different areas to be located
Pros
repetitive job
Cons
assembly line
Working at Weston's Cobourg hasn't been great. It is a place that has a lot of people from the same families working there and also people who went to schools together, family friends etc There is so much 'click' situations there and if you don't belong to a certain circle of clicks or friends, then you are out of things. Some of the Supervisors are close friends with some employees and they always team up together against other employees if they don't like you for whatever reason. Also Management seem to favor employees who are their family members or friends in almost every way. Such employees always have upper hands over others in many ways! So many employees have been there for long not because they are happy there, but because it was just suitable for our families lives. We had to put up with situations just to get by!
Very unorganized,stressfull place to work.They take people for granted and play favorites.Closing the plant after thirty years.Very sad for the town.Hope something moves in.
Work was good. Most of the people were friendly. Don't discuss politics because there a couple of people that will go off in a ranting. Problem was that when they ran out of work I was laid off (without financial compensation) because I had been there for less than 1 year.
Pros
Friendly People, Get a paycheck
Cons
Work is as needed
Management are fair. The majority of the people who work there are awesome. There are a few you need to stay away from. Will stab you in the back quickly. But for the most part I enjoyed working there.
Great place to work fairly easy. People are great there as well. Would like to find another job with the same happy environment that I found here. Clean and well maintained.
Your just a number to fill a space . They brought bus loads of temp help in from oakville toronto. What more can I say the top agency didnt even tell you that you were not needed any more , no more hours were sent to you
In my short amount of time at Weston foods Maplehurst Bakeries I have had a tremendous amount of fun. The culture and people are one of the best qualities of the bakery. I feel rewarded to earn my experience in the fields they have trained me in. and would stay for it not time for my economic standing to increase. Over all this is a great place to learn good workplace habits as the staff and management will assist in the necessary protocols in a factory environment.
Great people to work with! ALOT of shift cancellations WOW!! I was hired thru temp. agency in June, didn't start until July and shifts were cancelled almost everyday (even for whole week).
I was a temp here and the work was pretty easy. short days but long amounts of standing and repetition. It can get pretty mind numbing after a while..
Pros
easy
Cons
repetitive
Good manufacturing plant. I really learned a lot about the food manufacturing process. I found out there is a lot safety involved in the food industry.
Pros
good people
Cons
A lot of temps currently working there. I figured I'd be there a long time before getting hired permanent. Supervisors and lead hands were friendly. No scheduled breaks or lunch time due to being on an assembly line. Some down time while working on the assembly line due to project switching. Other than that, it was okay if you want an income.
Great coworkers. Helpful and friendly. Regularly lose hours if working afternoon shift. Send people home early. Jobs aren't difficult but standing in one spot can be back breaking. Lots of hurry up to get done but lots of waiting and pretending to be busy when lines go down. High turnover and no job security as a temp employee. Bottom line is that it's a job that anyone can do. Pay isn't great but there are opportunities to develop production skills
Pros
Hours can be flexible as a temp. Good coworkers
Cons
Shortened shifts. Low pay. Autumn layoffs
The people there are nice and the place is very clean. Their are many differant career oppurtunities and chances to learn something new and the company is continuing to grow.
Pros
overtime often avialable
Cons
can be hard on feet
- nice staff - flexible hours if needed - easy to learn and maintainable work - always busy and have work to do - secure job - clean and safe workplace
OMG ... the stench! Well I guess a plus would be lost appetite & weight! Scheduled for interview, got a number to call at the door, but no one answered the in-house door-phone nor the cell number I'd been given for someone to open and let us in. 5 employees came & went on their breaks and said "yep 😃" when we told them - so respect is obviously low on the priority list. Once finally inside, the smell was even worse, turned my stomach! 3 guys were almost done filling out a wad of paperwork, we were given the same to do; they'd been there for 2 hours! There were wayyy too many too-personal questions before an actual hire, incl. drivers license number! And signing an ok for someone else to drive me to a job site ... ? We just looked at eachother and said "are you ok with all this?" after 3 pages out of 25+ ... and we left. A good thing, we made a new friend. We'd have been hired by a temp company, paid less than company/factory employees (by $.50), but would also be the first to be let go during a cut-back. Been there, done that.
Pros
don't know
Cons
the stench! and respect.
The boss is great and theirs always work to be done to keep you busy. Every day offers a different experience. Thiers a lot to learn and the company has a lot to offer.
Well been a long time employee started as a temp and moved through the levels. Had some disappointment but resolved with management . Great Potential .
My typical day of work was rather tedious. Line workers begin by reviewing a sheet that dictates which production line they will be working on that day (since there are multiple ones) and depending on where you're place will decide what commands you will be carrying out by your line operator. This includes operating small line machinery. For example is you're on the packaging line, you will have to operate a bar code device, a taper or the wrapping machine.
Pros
A steady paycheck
Cons
Community is not great
Great company to work for in regards to people, company incentives, and opportunities to learn so much. My resume was easily enhanced from all the opportunities available to take advantage of. We were challenged constantly to be innovative and present efficient ways to improve on our services. I enjoyed the constant challenge.