Westmont Hospitality Group

• Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Support from manager

Upper Management Awful

Very micro managed! As a former Office Manager, I had so much on my plate. The newest GM was no help at all, he/she chose to instead call employees incompetent and said they would rather work with their young children. My property had a high turn over rate with upper management and I should have seen this before I accepted the position. Once your hotel is managed by Westmont, look out!

Great Company Heading In the Right Direction

I was hired by Westmont Canada 18 months ago. There was significant change in the corporate office at that time. I feel that the current leadership of the company is taking it in a very good direction. There is a heavy focus on employee and guest satisfaction.

Absolutely Fantastic and highly recommended organisation!

My experience with WHG has been nothing but outstanding. They value opinions and care for its people. They are really making a solid effort to improve

Pros

Free Staff Lunch, Free on-site parking, benefits, travel, great leaders, amazing atmosphere, fun place to work

Great learning experience

everything was structured and in order . Thevtop management cared about our feedback.Fun team activities. Good feedback measures.Good HR practises.Proper policies and procedures in place.

Operations manager

where do I start. the GM potion was like a revolving door. the hotel was in failing conditions due to the lack of any kind of direction from the District Manager who is a absolute discussing human being. how he still has a job with the way he treats the staff and especially woman I will never know. They want everyone that works there to move mountain for very little pay at times we didn't even have toilet paper or soap. They hired a New GM from Toronto with NO experience what so ever and who also treated woman like they were garbage. I had to manage a out crying staff and when I tried to help resolve the issues of behavior I went to HR and for doing so i was let go myself. not sure what world they live in but i'm sure this is not proper work behavior. I loved my job ( and did it very well ) but they ruined it for me. I would never work for this company ever again. I just hope something is done before more people are harassed.

Pros

It was a job

Cons

dealing with Management

WHG Excellent company

My experience at this company was very good, and got to work with some great people! Management is very supportive Excellent company Staff friendly

Great Experince

It was a tremendous experience with Westmont Hospitality Group. With great culture, management, communication and compensation. once of the best company I ever worked with company.

Motivating, engaging and very collaborative

Working at Westmont Hospitality Group afforded me the opportunity to work with various departments thereby giving me the skills to adapt to any working environment. I was able to learn many other aspects of Administration and invoicing. Co-Workers were different in each department but all lended to interaction and a peaceable working environment. What I enjoyed most was the free reign given to explore new ideas and adaption of policies in any given department to suit the needs of the particular department.

Official response from Westmont Hospitality Group

19 November 2019
We are thrilled that you had a great experience working with the team at Westmont. We sincerely appreciate your hard work and dedication during your tenure.

Extremely Micro Managed

As a former guest Services Manager with Westmont they have way to many reports that need to be completed daily which kept me from doing my job as a GSM, how can you deliver superior guest service when your stuck in your office doing report after report

Pros

Was given the opportunity to advance my career

Cons

Micro Managing and poor feedback from corporate

Productive company like to be back.

Nice company to work. I worked over 10 years as Financial controller of the Calgary property and gained lots of knowledge. Wanderful corporate culture.

Pros

Good benefit program, Big company

Cons

Too much of approval process.

Gone for a reason

This property was not taken care of and fell into such a state of disrepair that it had to be demolished. The promises of a full renovation never came true and the hotel has since been torn down.

Room for advancement - Good Management

I have been with this company for many years and progressed in my career within the company. I do see that those with good attitudes fit in well with this environment. Some days could be long, and there may be the occasional office politics but you will find these things in many workplaces. The corporate office is a friendly, and warm environment where most build real friendships and employees work well together. The environment is encouraging and welcoming. It is more of a laid back environment then some corporate offices. Employees work hard and take pride in their work and benefit from the trust the company puts in its employees. I would recommend working with the company, and would have no interest in leaving.

Pros

Gym Membership pricing, Group benefits, Mobile phone discounts, Room to Grow, Friendly and approachable team members

Could be better

Not bad, but with the correct leadership, should be one of Canada's Best Companies. I hear they made some changes, but...need to add proper training for all employees,

Pros

Discount travel

Cons

Little training long days

Pm

I would be very interested to meet the people who gave good reviews to this company. I haven't met a single person who liked this company and I met a lot of people! I would not recommend working for them at all! office politics = terrible environment = toxic communication = horrible work load = awful projects = boring compensation = shameful A typical day at WHG: 8am to 7pm most days (and that's not during high season) My best memory from Westmont? the day I left!!!

Pros

Cons

They set you up for failure.

Productivity, Life and Work balance.Table Tennis & Snooker to relax

A typical day at Westmont is starting the day with email review and having telephone conversation with the General Managers on urgent issue requiring resolution. Also to review the general ledger and pass adjusting entries to correct miscodings. I learnt how to use the accounting software and work with colleagues professionally and with love. The hardest part of the job comes at month end but with better training from the seniors you are sure of handling the tasks within the set time frame which also includes tax filling. The most enjoyable part of the job is the good atmosphere and the people at work place. You cannot differentiate between your home and the workplace.

Pros

free tea, coffee and pops

Cons

short and long depending on the task at hand.

Depressing

- Poor leadership, no direction, no feedback = no motivation, no purpose, no interest - Difficult to build relationships with upper management - no effort would be made by managers to actually get to know their employees - Job culture was a typical 9-5, cubicle life; no opportunities for social engagement, really quiet in the offices, everyone seemed miserable, not a fun place to work - No job security for new employees

Pros

Cons

Culture and management

Such a let down

After having been employed with Westmont for a very long time... They were so quick to throw me aside with not even as much as an explanation or thank you. I moved all over for them when they needed me at different properties. They put no value in their general managers, and are quick to replace you in the blink of an eye.

Pros

Outweighes by cons

Cons

See review

Excellent place to work for many years

All of my years with Westmont I always enjoyed my position! Enjoyed the employees/peers and all of the wonderful clients I had worked with over the years.

Pros

Wonderful employees and clients

Cons

Non

Westmont Hospitality

Not a very well organized company; could benefit from listening to new employees and their previous employment experience(s). Very long hours, and minimal recognition from management.

Company lies to staff regarding compensation

Hired as a food and beverage staff member for their banquets department with the promised that gratuity on events would be distributed amongst staff based on hours worked. In reality, $1000's of dollars is siphoned off to other departments to cover expenses/supplement wages where the actual worked are left with a pittance. For serious food and beverage professionals this company is not worth your time.

Pros

Cons

Poor compensation, long hours, immature and inexperienced managers and other staff

Hospitality - front desk

Typical front desk work but great environment, staff and management were definate pros. No cons, Had to leave to raise a family, or I would still be there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westmont Hospitality Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement