Westland Insurance Group

Westland Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Featured review
Westland Insurance Group selected this as a representative review
Great company, great benefit pick options. Opportunity for advancement, supportive management and work structure. Loads of experience and educational programs. I love the challenges my work brings me every day, and the positive work environment. I’m happy to go to work.
15 November 2019
Thank you for such an amazing review! We appreciate all you do.
I thought I was going to stay with the company long term until recently. Management is overly passive aggressive, unaware of what is happening in the branches and they fail to take a closer look. Recent new management is the main reason I am leaving. The company has great values but they are being torn apart by all the new acquisitions and getting deteriorated. Hard to recognize that this is the same Westland from years prior with how management has become.
Pros
Good benefits plan
Cons
Micro management and new management
3 February 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear that it has not been what we have hoped to create at Westland. While our company is going through a growth period, we also have teams behind the scenes listening to feedback and working on systems and processes to address some growing pains. However these changes do take time to see from other levels of our organization. We are developing communication platforms that will help management and executives receive more feedback from our branches, so we can make better decisions that will support our people. We are also currently organizing some management training seminars for this Spring to help our People Leaders further develop their management skills. I hope you would reconsider and perhaps reach out to one of our HR Business Partners if you would like to talk to someone about specific concerns. Otherwise we thank you for your time at Westland, and wish you all the best with your future career endeavors.
Don't expect much. Terrible management, no communication, no conflict resolution, huge turnover. You're just a number to them. Benefits aren't worth a lick.
Pros
Cons
Too much to list
The company itself is a fan of the Walmart theory of business models. It aims to make each branch look and feel the same regardless of the location. The issue with that business model is that it doesn’t work well in some of the smaller communities, and because of the zero flexibility on that it is a revolving door of employees in those locations. The more urban locations would be a great work environment.. don’t work in it’s smaller community locations unless you enjoy being the most senior agent after a year, constantly being a team player working extra hours, holidays and not receiving any acknowledgment of all the extra work put in due to the constant turnover of staff and management. It’s not managements fault it’s just due to staff turnover they never have time to care for the staff that remain working.
11 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your experience; it is highly valued. We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention, and we have shared your feedback with the Leadership Team. We take comments seriously and hope to identify issues and create room for positive change if needed. We sincerely wish you the best in your new endeavors.
phone calls and emails everyday, someone walk-ins for day to day transaction. lots to learn everyday and facing different situations everyday. good for start ups
1 June 2020
Westland Insurance is a great place to start off in the insurance industry. They will support your learning and growth in this company so it is very easy to move up.
9 March 2020
Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate the kind words!
Great company to work for, awesome that is still owned by the same family. Pretty big and lots of opportunity to grow. Management is friendly and helpful
Pros
Good culture, great coworkers and friendly place
Cons
location
21 February 2020
Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate all you do.
Good place . good place ,good place .Stop forcing people to give review that they a neutral to give . I dont have any review to give . Its a nice place to be .
19 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate all you do.
Good workplace culture with advanced training courses offered to employees. Offers good employee benefits and perks. Fun workplace for to work and learn for entry-levels.
18 February 2020
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your kind words and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Here’s why you should reconsider working for Westland insurance. In your interview they’ll continuously mention the word career to make you think it’s a professional environment and room for promotions. The “world class”’training they offer is non existent. They hire people who have never worked in insurance in their lives and then expect you to train yourself and then are surprised when you mess up. My manager was the worst, every time we’d ask for help she’s either hand us a piece of paper or give us the dirtiest look. I tried reaching out to regional managers several times and no one would help me. Before you can even do the job properly you have to spend $800 which you’ll get reimbursed and if you leave within 6 months they’ll take those fees from your wages. So keep that in mine before hand since the pay is incredibly low. Trainees aren’t meant to be in the office alone and must always be supervised by a level 2 agent according to council rules. I was left in the office ALONE as a trainee for several hours. They don’t pay you if you stay late, you have to bank it which I’ve never seen any other company do. Ever. If you want a raise for becoming a level 2 they’ll offer you a measly 60 cents all the while buying every insurance office ever but don’t care about their staff. In the last 20 months my office had about 30 employees come and go. And don’t even bother to ask WHY they’re leaving so they can at least make improvements. You will also endure some of the worst abuse from ICBC customers - never in any other job have I been spoken to or yelled at the way I was at Westland. - more...
Pros
Good if you have no experience in anything
Cons
Low pay and high expectations. No care for staff
18 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your experience; it is highly valued. We care about our people and strive to create a positive experience where employees can learn and grow in their careers. We are sorry to hear of your experience and that you did not feel supported by your Manager. We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention, which we will share with our Leadership Team. We take comments seriously and hope to identify issues and create room for positive change if needed. We sincerely wish you the best in your new endeavors.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Westland Insurance Group?
Good place to start and gain experience but look to move on after a year if you are looking for growth and equitable pay. Management is not upfront about addressing issues
19 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your experience. We consistently strive to maintain a positive organizational culture where employees can learn and grow in their careers. We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
I have no complaints about working for this company. I would recommend them to anyone. They have a lot to offer in the way of education and growth within the company.
15 November 2019
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your positive comments.
It’s a good place to start out when you get your level 1, you learn a lot about ICBC and auto insurance in general for newbies. The pay is low though (no commission either). I find most people work and then leave to other places that pay more and pay commission. Especially on how often they acquire other companies and expand to have more branches..
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
No commission, low pay
15 November 2019
Thank you for your review and for sharing your thoughts and experiences on what we do well and what areas we can improve on.
Great opportunities if you want to build an Insurance career. A wide range of positions and types of insurance positions to choose from. Many areas are a great group of people
15 November 2019
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the positive comments.
After a week long immersion I passed my level 1 exam but then a week after got tossed in front of clients and expected to be able to do the job. I’ve basically taught myself how to do the computer systems and processing since no one in this office seems to know how to train. Everyone also seems to take vacation at the same time leaving new brokers not even out of probation to keep the business afloat.
15 November 2019
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments and are sorry to read you did not feel supported in your role. We sincerely wish you all the best in your future career endeavors.
Perfect job for students attending post-secondary. Managers are really understanding and accommodate your schedule for school. Very good company as there are many perks and benefits!
15 November 2019
Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate all you do.
One of my favorite roles was at Westland. The corporate team was inviting and helped me grow into the position I wanted. Open door policy, fun Finance group!
15 November 2019
Thank you for your positive review and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Great place to learn about Insurance Industry and rise up the ladder over time into management. Entry level positions and lots of locations, great start.
Pros
Well Paced
Cons
No Commission, Low pay
15 November 2019
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments and wish you all the best in your future career endeavors.
Previous company was purchased by Westland Insurance. Staff are focused on results and getting the job done within a friendly, co-operative environment. With the Implementation of a new accounting software package, the Team members were enthusiastic and co-operative throughout the development and training phase. Always willing to help with the transition from the old accounting to the new package.Management is always approachable, friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the dedicated team members. The most difficult part of the job was the very long daily commute by car as transit to South Surrey was not an option.
Pros
Hard working, friendly and team oriented
Cons
Long commute
15 November 2019
Thank you for sharing a review on your experience with us. We wish you all the best in your future career endeavors.
I had a super cool time working here. Insurance is super good for everyone to have. My house burned down and they gave me some insurance money to build a new one.
15 November 2019
Thank you for sharing a review on your experience with us. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Westland has great career opportunities for all areas of a work place with in house training with Westland college. I have been fortunate enough to have great managers and wonderful experiences of helping in other offices in total different areas. This has given different training opportunities as well. There are great medical benifits and retirement benefits with Westland for full and part time employees. There iare a lot of opportunities for everyone with a still growing company. I look forward to continue to grow with them.
Pros
Opportunity to learn/ promotions, benifits..
Cons
There can be long days.
15 November 2019
Thank you for such an amazing review! We appreciate all you do.