Westlake Chemical Employee Reviews

This use to be a great place to work....
Operator (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LA11 May 2018
Management is cut throat! They will work your fingers to the bone! Definitely "production" over "safety"
You aren't treated fairly by some supervisors.
Pros
Pay and benefits
its fine
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LA27 March 2018
its okay that I work here . I juste wish the the employees weren't so messy and all about themselves. a lot of potential to make money with all the excess overtime.
Ok company, but need Qualified Management
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LA15 March 2018
Work at site. improvements in progress. QC Manager clueless of labs, just wants a title. Suggest hire qualified manager. Only care about overworking people, & doesn't listen to employees or supervisors. Changes daily, w/ workload. Micromanaged! Manager not liked by many! Can't wait to leave this micro-managed place. high turnover, stay away! They will learn, one day to listen to their EMPLOYEES!
Do not work in the VCM unit
VCM Operator (Former Employee) –  Geismar, LA26 January 2018
Vcm unit is a labor camp. Vcm has a high turnover rate. Operators quit every few months. There is no line between management and operators. Nothing is confidential with management. The Vcm unit is very unsafe, something bad will happen.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Vcm unit is labor camp
Poor Management
Extruder Operator (Former Employee) –  McPherson, KS10 January 2018
You start out through a Temp service and no one at the plant has the authority to hire you. Some temps have been there months up to over a year waiting to get hired on full-time. If you work hard and prove yourself as capable you still have to wait for unknown reasons to get on full time. Bottom line; you do the same work as full time employees for way less pay. The company doesn't have a training program so its learn what you can on the run. No set breaks or lunch so if you get a chance to eat its a bonus, the supervisors or leads will not fill in for you to catch a beak.
Pros
its a pay check
Cons
Leadership or lack there of
Lackluster but improving
work horse (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LA9 January 2018
Westlake Chemical is a great company that recently obtained a not so great company. The not-so-great companies old mentality persists to this day. Even after meeting all of the criteria to advance, they keep giving me the run-around. They will miss me when i'm gone too.
fair company, good pay
Painter/Sandblaster (Former Employee) –  Westlake, LA2 January 2018
Westlake Chemical is okay. They are not the best but when you dont have a job its a job and it pays the bills, They pay pretty well theyre work place is not the best but it is a job and they are pretty fair.
Pros
Its a job with pretty good pay
Cons
not the best worksite
Average, solid pay, old school management
Manager, Talent Management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX31 December 2017
Typical corporate environment. I know they have been working hard to modernize after I have left, assume it is better now. Was not bad, just not what was expected for me personally. Solid compensation.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Old School
Fun place to work except for a few supervisors
Chemical Operator/Bulk Handler (Former Employee) –  Calvert City, KY23 October 2017
Some management people were great, but those few that were bad made it difficult. Advancement was usually determined on how well you were liked and not on experience or qualifications
Very demanding, but rewarded
Specialist, Machinist Inspector (Former Employee) –  Longview, TX21 September 2017
Crazy days balanced out by good days.
Opportunity to learn as much as you were willing to learn.
Made some great friends that helped in problem solving.
Poor leadership of guys coming in that don't know the business. Not sure how they get the jobs.
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LA20 September 2017
Poor leadership in my area of work. I think it's a dead in job and I'm won't get to move up like I had planned when moving to this company. I came from supervision and just thought I would be there faster.
Little to no advancement opportunity - Poor management
EHS (Current Employee) –  Anonymous19 September 2017
Inexperienced and arrogant management unwilling to accept suggests from other levels of the organization and little to no career advancement opportunities.
Great place to work.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Calvert City, KY23 August 2017
This is a great place to work. The management is great and all the workers are friendly and helpful. The compensation is better than expected with lots of benefits.
Great company to work for
Senior Operator (Current Employee) –  Geismar, LA9 July 2017
great place to work great pay and benifits would recommend anybody thats loooking for a good stable workplace always moving forward in the industry great leaders
Pros
Competitive pay
I respect and enjoy my job.
Sr. Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Longview, TX5 July 2017
I enjoy my job and what I do on a daily basis. A typical day at work is very busy but very rewarding. I work in an environment of Team players.
There is respect on every level from my coworkers to Upper Management.
Having been trained very well I don't actually have a "hard" day at work. I am given the opportunity to learn and excel in any area that is beneficial to my company. Not every company offers that.
I work for a company where everyone is important.
Pros
Good benefits
Requires major culture change and capitol investment to equipment
Maintenance & Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Lake, LA1 July 2017
Westlake is a very good company to work for. That site that I work at was recently bought by them so there a changes taking place for the better. It will take several year before the site that I am working at will be in peak condition. The previous owner let the place go into real bad condition. For years they never invested back into the plant. Now the new owners are rebuilding.
Pros
Easy to move up
Cons
Managment is always changing
Nice place to work
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Geismar, LA 7073427 June 2017
I have worked for the company now for two years and it has been a good experience. I have been learning a great deal outside and now I am a board man.
Productive and Safety Oriented Workplace
Process Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LA22 June 2017
Westlake Chemical offers challenging yet rewarding work in one of the largest scale chlorine and caustic plants in the world. The company culture is professional, safety oriented, and understanding of personal situations.
Pros
Free coffee, competitive pay
Cons
Mistakes can be deadly
work atmosphere
Senior Operation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Longview, TX18 April 2017
Normal work day, Posting production, on call schedules, write and rewriting SOP's (standard operating procedures). Production crew would send SOP's for me to update for them. Lunch planning, Managing inventory.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
not enough hours in the day to complete sop's
No communication from management, conflicting stories when there is
Manager Network and Datacenter Operations (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA3 February 2017
CIO and management have different stories when they do communicate. Definitely do not follow the following quote:

"It doesn’t make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” - Steve Jobs

The wrong management was put in place. They tripled their size with one acquisition and were not prepared to grow, nor do they have the capacity with current management.
Pros
Cons
working for them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westlake Chemical. Our community is ready to answer.