WestJet Airlines

WestJet Airlines Employee Reviews

Canada617 reviews

flightairlinetravelculturecanadaairportguestjet

Stressful, not for everyone

If you survive the first couple months it’ll get better. Initial training is demanding and hard, but doable. Many procedures and ever changing policies

Low wage and zero work life balance

Hiring as long term employees jump ship; new owners who care more about the bottom line than the welfare of its employees … no pension, low wages and no work life balance. The WestJet that was is gone

Insights into WestJet Airlines

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

I can’t recommend to work here.

Things used to be really good when staff were owners back in the day. Now a big corporation Onex has taken over and is stripping the company of all of our hard earned work and valuable culture. No one is happy working here anymore everyone is under paid over worked and inflight management only supports the Westjet executives not their flight attendants. All of the Westjet executives care about is pleasing Onex executives while driving the company into the ground.

Caring, fun and interesting

Worked here for 10 years. Always felt appreciated and listened to. Lots of opportunities for growth within the company. Lots of peer and management support. Good training programs, health and flight benefits.

Good company but call centre job is terrible

This job position was the worst I've ever worked. The training is actually only 3 weeks, with 3 exams you have to pass at 85% or your fired. The training was so convoluted, fast pace and overwhelming. The actual system used to book customers is awful, it's as slow as a snail and for it being 2022 it seems this system was built in the ancient times. If the system wasn't so terrible, the job position would've been better. A proper booking system should be efficient for the employee to use, not an absolute headache and for the customer to not have to waste their time on the phone. I couldn't wrap my head around why a big company uses this clearly terrible system. Also, the actual job you are on the phones for 8 hours, phone rings within 1 second of the next one and you get in trouble if you use the washroom too much or you are late by a minute. In training you can't miss a day even if you are sick, they don't care. It felt like military style training for a job that only pays 2 dollars above minimum wage. The amount of work they require the call centre agents to handle is absolutely ludicrous for the wage. Now, I would recommend the company for its benefits/company culture but only with any other job position than this one.

Pros

work from home, computer provided

Cons

on phone all day, stressful, poor pay, bad training

Not an adequate place to work

- Poor management - Incorrect pay - long hours Management withheld pay from employees on multiple occasions. Company failed to properly compensate employees. Management rarely on site. Employees work extensive hours to cover for staff shortages.

Pros

Work Experience

Cons

No assistance from upper management

Fun place to work and career growth is real

There is always a career growth especially if you are a goal oriented person. If there is a vacancy at the top, they will always open it first to the current employee before seeking someone from outside or if no one applied from within the organization. People will always appreciate all the work you have done here. You will always hear thank you and good job which is good to boost your morale.

Pros

Travel Benefits

Cons

Grumpy passenger, Angry guest because of flight delays or cancellations which happens to every airlines.

Meets my needs of work/life balance

From others it seems like experiences vary greatly depending on the position and department you are working in. I am blessed to be in the payment services department and have had a great experience thus far. I work a hybrid role, I work 4 days from home and 1 day in office. They have just updated their vacation policy to 3 weeks off per year to start as well as added paid personal/sick days for 2023. Benefits started right away. There is a 6 month probationary period which is longer then the usual 3 months. My first two weeks I trained in office which was very helpful, I felt supported by my management team the entire learning process. This company is always changing and growing and they do a great job of keeping the employees informed along the way with regular town hall meetings where anyone can ask the CEO's questions. The workload is large and stressful at times, but manageable.

Pros

Work from Home, Benefits, Flight Privilege's

Cons

Large Workload

West Jet (eye roll)

WS doesn’t care one iota about your personal, professional, family or educational life!!! Quite simple they will not accommodate anything outside their company. Training is virtual and rushed once completed you’re thrown to the wolves!! Pay starts at $15.50 p/h and not worth the perks! You do not fly for free if that’s what you’re thinking. Good luck finding time to travel. The training is absolutely disgusting! It’s virtual and rushed. Trainers do not spend much time explaining or going over scenarios. Training for certain tasks in the airport is 2 days then you’re thrown in. Some really good co workers on the floor. It’s overall a very young environment with a HIGH turnover. People learn quick that WS is about the almighty dollar and not their staff at the bottom!

Pros

Some good CSA’s on the floor

Cons

Disgusting training, management and wages!

Not the company it used to be

Classic underpaid, overwork environment. Flight benefits are of course, incredible, but you'll be lucky to make it to your days off without suffering major burnout. Unless you're a favorite and in good with the supervisors, no guaranteed breaks during a 12 hour shift which is asinine.

Training was very stressful, long hours

I just got let-go from my training today for sales agent after almost 3 weeks of VIGOROUS training after scoring only a 97 percent on one test and an 77 percent on the other. It MUST be 85 or higher on each or they let you go the very minute you flunk (You got get 2 rewrites). Three people from corporate will video call you to fire you and your group leaders who have been ‘helping’ you and ‘supporting’ you thru this training don't even say so much as a goodbye. There is no room for human error or humanity taken in to account. I had bronchitis and a fever for 2 days and I wasn't allowed to take time off. Sure, everyone is so ‘nice’ and says really ‘nice’ things all time and speaks in a sing-song voice so you get lulled into thinking it isnt too bad. But hey, I lived in NYC for 20 years so I dont tolerate overly nice for too long. Guys, its HAAAARD!!! They should be honest about that. Instead they say thing like ‘there are always a few rewrites (my class EVERYONE but ONE person had a rewrite) but ‘you guys will knock it out of the park’ that kind of nice-talk all the time. Makes we wonder what else they wont be honest about while you are employed. Phase two also has TWO exams. They don't tell you that either. I studied with 5 other people and so far only 1 made it. I studied weekends, evenings too. Granted, I am middle-aged and technology isn't my best suit. But I WISH they would have been honest to say, its technologically very demanding and only half the class will make it and breaks are monitored BY the MINUTE. I was ONE minute late and got a ‘note’. If there is 3 minutes -

ok

Je n'ai pas grand choses a dire. Il y en a qui adore et d'autres qui aime moins

sales and service agent - call centre

The training is hard, many of the workmates did not make it. It is shiftwork with rotation - weekends, holidays etc. - you get your schedule based on seniority and performance. The pay is pretty low compared to the stress and the schedule.

Pros

work from home and supportive management

Cons

shift work with rotation and low pay

Great to try it out

Try it out. Its amazing. Pay is horrible but what your get to see makes up for it. Isn't a lifelong career for me - but a must try! Tough long days, but rewarding moment.

Great people, Awful schedule

You are on the phone talking with guests for your entire shift with expected overtime if you are on a long call. The job can be overwhelming during busy season as the hold queue times are long and the guests are frustrated. Getting through to a support team can sometimes take hours. Breaks and lunch are scheduled for you and can vary from day to day so there is no consistency. The rotating schedule is extremely difficult to manage for work-life balance. Team leads seem extremely supportive of growth, but there are not that many opportunities to move into a role outside of the contact centre. There are lots of opportunities to take on special projects with other teams to learn new skills and spend some time off of the phones.

Pros

Nice coworkers

Cons

insane rotating work schedule, not many opportunities to move out of the contact centre

No Longer Thinking of Those Who Travel

Too much thought goes into the pay increase of upper management and not into the people who are traveling. Lack of proper training for newly hired people and and lack of personalities.

Productive and very nice work environment. Can do attitude!

It was a very nice experience ! It was an amazing team to work with ! The work environment was pleasant ! Attention to detail and commitment to valuing diferences and working alongside diverse people and perspectives.

N/a

Management has their favourites and rest of the workers very poorly, most people are let go with in the probation period if your manager does not like you ,it does not matter how hard you work,Evan if you don’t call sick or late.

Pros

Flexible to shift trade

Cons

Management not good

Great Company to Work For

Enjoyed dealing with loyal Westjet Customers they were a delight to serve. Liked my co workers and Enjoyed the flight benefits and was looking forward to retiring with them. Was very excited about future growth of the airline. But then Covid hit and all that was gone.

Relaxed atmosphere but disorganized

As with many companies, the only real downside is miscommunication and disorganization because too many people from too many departments are all involved in making decisions. Very relaxed work environment with very little micromanagement.

Pros

Fully remote is possible

Cons

Lack of organization

Culture needs to be focused on

WestJet is a great place to work because of the people. Having said that, it is becoming much less about people and more about numbers. While success requires profit, only people can deliver on that. I think WestJet has forgotten this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WestJet Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement