WestJet Airlines Employee Reviews

Live the culture
Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2018
Westjet is having growing pains right now but do not give up on it, the airline that was started so bravely in 1996 still exists in the staff the airplanes and the office halls.
Pros
You KNOW you are contributing to the greater good
Cons
There are some pockets of inside politics that take place sadly.
Very good work place
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst/QA Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2018
Good place to work. Please here at westjet are very friendly inclyding leads , managers and busimess.There is no micro managing here and good place for to work to balance your work and life.
Pros
No micro managing
Cons
No extra hours and no WFH
Good company in a time of transition
SALES SUPER AGENT--Part-Time, Home Rez (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2018
Great place to work if you like to travel, great fares if you don't mind flying on a standby basis. Perfect for those who love customer service in this constantly evolving industry.
Great Culture
Business Intelligence and Analytics Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2018
Great social aspect to the work environment. Definitely a people company. Company is heading in the right direction and given time, all the new initiatives will allow the company to continue growing in the future.
Home based sounds good.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2018
I took this job opportunity because I worked $55K job with stress. So I wanted to go small wage and less stress.
But I was wrong,restriction is not clear until you get sign and started this job. It must be 4 walls and completely isolated from family and pets. (Of course during work). Problem was we are not allowed to open the window even hot summer time to avoid outside of noise,plus management will suggest you to buy a fan.
$15~$16 minimum wage and internet,phone, insurance are not covered by company. so, you will be making less than $2000 a month . Flights benefit are great but lower seniority can't get a vacation when you would like to take. Some of managements were wonderful, but some of them were terrible. You don't get support, but they will say that you are wrong.

However, your time and this job's restrictions are not $15~$16

Don't recommend at all.
Pros
Poor management.
This is an environment that allows you to take your job seriously but not yourself
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 July 2018
I enjoy working at WestJet because we are given freedom to be interactive, and fun with those that travel with us. We are able to show care and compassion to those that are traveling for unfortunate reasons, or when they just need a little extra assistance.
Pros
I truly enjoy the enivironment and the people I work with
Cons
At my location we have to work split shifts
I miss Westjet
Super Sales Agent (SSA) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 July 2018
This is the type of company that you will regret leaving in your lifetime. The Management needed a little empathy when it comes to sicknesses, but the overall culture of this place was amazing.
Pros
Flights!
good workplace
Full-time cabin crew member for WestJet (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON30 June 2018
not a great work/life balance
work place moral is low
company currently going through a lot of transitions
Not great compensation considering amount of work
Former Glory
CREW SCHEDULER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2018
Management has made one of Canada's top employers a second rate company, exceedingly cheap. advancement without post secondary education is next to impossible. Don't expect a salary that allows use of your flight benefits. Culture is at an all time low.
Cons
low pay, long hours
love love my company
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2018
the best place to work, love the culture ,people opportunities to grow i wish the salary was higher but overall the place to work .
so proud to be working here
Cons
salary
Fun company, cool history
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2018
Worked as a flight attendant for two years. Really enjoyed the work, met great coworkers and customers. A bit repetitive but you can see that as something to perfect.
Being a flight attendant is definitely a lifestyle as it requires you to be away from home for half of your time. If it can work for you, it's a blast!
Pros
Travel benefits!
Cons
Gone when working
WestJet
Customer service agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2018
working for Westjet is really great, the people you work with are good the benefits are fantastic and you can learn a lot and grow within the company. but you are very underpaid and understaffed and overworking their employees
Fun, Friendly, busy, happy, peacful, positiv
Customer Service Representative/Boarding agent (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 June 2018
I loved this job the most! If I had to pick the best people to work with it would be the West Jet Family. Everything great you hear about them helping people is really what it is like to work with them. Every day so so happy for me going to work. I truly feel that I have another family. Most exciting job ever! CEO's Come to the base and meet you and want to know how you are. That is important. They care about moral. They make sure you're happy and if you have a concern they are their to help in any way.
Fly the skies
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 May 2018
Fly people from A to B to visit family or friends, go for work, the good the bad and the ugly.
Workplace culture is usually pretty high, but in recent months it is a bit tense with a unionization looming.

The benefits and flexibility of this job are a huge bonus, and will be very hard to give up. The wonderful people I meet on a day to day basis are interesting, unique and wonderful.

It is stressful and tough being away from the family for work, and that is the reason I am making a career change. 11 plus years ago, this job was perfect for my lifestyle.

I love the benefits, cheap travel is a huge bonus attached to this job, family travel will not be financial feasible from now on!
Pros
Cheap travel, great health benefits and profit share
Cons
tough hours, not enough pay
Worst company to work for
Flight attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2018
They allowed co-worker to send you physical threats without firing them. Flight attendants drink on the job from the bar in the airplane and a lot of them smoke weed.
Fun, fabulous place to work.
Customer Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2018
Working with a fun loving, out going, interactive and caring group of people makes it a great place to get up and go work everyday.

Shifts available day and night to fit your lifestyle and a great team who will trade and cover shifts so you can get to those important events in your life.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Long hours, physical work.
Guest Service Ambassador
Guest Services Ambassador, Training Guide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2018
A very physically demanding position. Requires heavy lifting of baggage, pushing guests in wheelchairs for long distances. Assisting guests check in for flights. Assist gate controllers with boarding guests on to aircraft.
Pros
great support from coworkers
Cons
physically challenging
An engaging place to work
Guest Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 May 2018
Overall WestJet is a great employer.
There are small issues with work/life balance, especially if you aren't located near the airport you work at. This is most prevalent in the mid-level positions, where shifts are 12hrs (on a smooth day). This can easily result in 15hr days outside of your home, depending on where you're located in relation.
Salary is a little low in some cases, recently revised, but the benefits are great. Vacation time is excellent and bonuses and such are available as part of the total compensation.
Job security is superb - they don't really let people go without extensive cause. Advancement is another story, as promotion bottlenecks fairly quickly. Being able to move can greatly increase those opportunities.
Management, in my experience, has always been good. I have not clashed with people above me often, especially outside of the frontline capacity.
Culture is second to none in my opinion. There is a slight identity crisis currently with fast growth and increasing of employees, but the underlying culture remains.
Good culture has faded away
IT Department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2018
WestJet was at one time among the most sought after employers in Alberta. As they have grown, the culture has eroded and now it is much like any other large corporate entity. Mostly faceless, all business.

Flight benefits are nice, but any decent salary elsewhere lets you pay for flights yourself.

The location up near the airport is great if you live in the north side of Calgary, but there is nowhere to leave for a quick lunch.
Pros
Casual work attire
Cons
No culture anymore
Not recommended
Not disclosed due to retaliation. Not a pilot. (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2018
Typical day at work is characterized by non-stop interruptions and borderline harassment from management.

Resources are often channeled away from corporate work by junior and middle managers to fulfil their "secret" projects, which make them look good in the eyes of upper management.

No learning opportunities.

Junior and middle management is inept.

Workplace culture among rank and file is good. People generally want to help and make things better. Management however is incompetent and micro-management is the norm.

HR has good intentions, but is ineffectual in addressing legitimate grievances, because the unspoken policy is to take the management's word over employees.
Pros
Honestly good people with big hearts. Travel benefits.
Cons
No career advancement prospects. Minimal vacation days. No career development opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WestJet Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2