WestJet Airlines Employee Reviews

Must like Blue Koolaid
Customer Service Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2018
Everyone is surprised when you tell them
What an awful place it is to work. If you drink the Koolaid and become part of the cult, maybe things work out. If you’re a call Center agent no one cares, there’s no koolaid at home nor do they attempt to make you feel a part of the company. The scheduling is awful, the amount of work you need to do is not at all equivalent to what you get paid.
Pros
Travel benefits, health benefits
Cons
Schedule, pay, team leaders, management, HR department
Productive and fun workplace
ZONE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2018
Flexible options for shift trading in full- and part-time positions for entry level. Hours can be long during a weather-affected operational day.

Opportunities for advancement and mentorship if desired.

Collaborative senior management.

Excellent benefits provided for full- and part- time staff.
Pros
Benefits for full- and part-time staff; flexible scheduling
Cons
Extended hours during weather-affected operations
lots of benefits
Baggage Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2018
working in an airport makes for an exciting experience, and will keep you on your toes in peak seasons.

The people can be unpleasant and entitled but that may just be a customer service thing, the hardest part is taking verbal abuse.

best part of the job is obviously the flight benefits, but health benefits are also very good, and available to even part time employees.

Pay does not seem very competitive but seems to be inline with industry averages.
Pros
flight and health benefits
Cons
pay
Long hours short pay
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2018
For what we do, I feel like we don't get compensated nicely. I say great marketing team but they need to work on treating the employees better. Often work holidays and hours are never consistent. Fun experience when I first started, but I need more stability and I need to be home more often.
Pros
Meeting new friends, travel benifit
Cons
Fun, fast paced working environment
Inflight Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2018
Always welcoming and enjoyable. Easy going work environment with amazing co workers. Although the culture has changed throughout the years, I still find WestJet to put people first. We have a can do attitude. Hardest part of my job is sitting for long periods of time and not having a sit stand desk as part of my work station.

Most enjoyable part of my job, is the people I see everyday!
Pros
great people
Cons
lack of career advancement
A very fun place to work
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Comox, BC10 January 2019
WestJet is a wonderful company to work for. My particular station is very fun and my coworkers are very supportive and helpful. One of the best jobs I have every had.
Pros
I look forward to going to work and learn each and every day.
Cons
Cannot live on the wages. Need a second job to make ends meet.
On a steady decline
SSA (Current Employee) –  Calgary2 December 2018
The disappointment I feel working for this company is unparalleled.
Westjet has officially lost their way in in an effort to grow (irresponsibly). This company is riddled with lies, greed, and a lack of forward thinking business strategy.
The people making the directional decisions would seem to be completely unaware that a happy workforce is an efficient one.
Westjet has time and time again shown that it has no interest in making sure their front line staff is taken care of i.e., pay-scale restructuring, cutting bonuses, and even taking away breaks from their overworked under compensated staff.
This has been a great company in the past but is now more and more becoming a terrible place to work.
Pros
Flight benefits, Stock options
Cons
Unreasonable and unwavering management, lack of culture, pay is modest, lack of feeling valued, business needs are always put before human needs, expectations for productive hours are unreasonable.
Great perks great employees
Super Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2018
Great company and great employees. I learned how to be a great team player and how to be very organized and be very good at time management.
Challenging part of my job is the guest that were upset when there was a distrubtion to thier filght however WestJet taught us how to be professional and most helpful.
Tough times but still good people
Manager - WestJet Airlines (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 September 2018
Always enjoyed working here, some tough times currently as they sort out their transition as a international airline. Lots of good, enthusiastic, people, Some entitlement issues among front line staff. No Canadian executives may be straining the old culture.
Pros
Travel perks
Cons
Hard work, complex rules and regulations
WestJet
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 November 2018
I worked at WestJet for 14 years and have seen many changes over that time leaving after being in middle management for 10+ years. What discourages me is that management continually wants to cut costs and some departments haven’t seen new FTEs / funding in over 6 years despite constantly expanding roles and duties as the company grows. In addition, mistakes are made and lessons learned are written but then ignored leading to continual fail cycles across many lines of business. It’s ok to fail especially as you try new things, but the corporate culture depends on being able to “make it up” on the backs of the dedicated and hard working employees. In addition, many of the upper management expect around the clock work while externally talking about “work / life balance”. If you are actually looking for a great corporate culture and not just a very strong external sales pitch then I would not recommend WestJet.
Pros
Flight Benifits
Cons
Low Pay, Poor Communication, Poor Management
Great benefits and oppotunity for advancement
Call Centre Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Alberta31 October 2018
I enjoyed my work at Westjet and the people I worked with. I worked different shifts so that sometimes took some planning at home. Overall though I found that most working there had a great attitude and were team oriented.
Downhill
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2018
Unfortunately this company has gone from fun, friendly, and caring about the people to a cutthroat, only caring about the bottom-line/stockholder company.

This company used to have a motto; Take care of the employees and the employees will take care of the guests which in return will take care of the company. Sadly this is no more. The company has fallen far from where their beliefs stood and have in return stopped caring about their employees. (Shutting out all open conversation and shutting their doors)

If the new CEO can figure out a way to show their employees he cares and is willing to do what is necessary to help this would be extremely beneficial to the entire company as well as stockholders.
Pros
Good flight travel benefits
Cons
Management doesn't care about you, Internal PACT does not help their employees in any way other than to take notes, Sadly a union would be the best thing for this company.
good place to start
Receiving Inspector/ Rotable Component Contoller (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2018
This is a good place to start a career and learn.
The team is very supporting.
I got the opportunity to study and get a diploma in Aircraft Maintenance and the company paid for it, which is really awesome.
As a contractor
IT Contractor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2019
WestJet has a great culture and fantastic group of people. From its small beginnings with great small company charm, it has grown to make it very difficult to keep with those charms. It's still a great company, but I miss the older/smaller days.
This is an environment that allows you to take your job seriously but not yourself
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 July 2018
I enjoy working at WestJet because we are given freedom to be interactive, and fun with those that travel with us. We are able to show care and compassion to those that are traveling for unfortunate reasons, or when they just need a little extra assistance.
Pros
I truly enjoy the enivironment and the people I work with
Cons
At my location we have to work split shifts
was good at one point
Baggage Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 October 2018
local YWG management not good, I enjoyed the work pace and tasks, but management and nepotism here is quite ridiculous and advancement depends on your ability to brown nose
Pros
cheap flights and vacation packages
Cons
micromanagement
productive and fun workplace
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2018
This is a great company is to work for. They are very flexible with scheduling as well as accommodating when personal situations arise. Management was awesome and very helpful. The only change I would make is pay increases.
Pros
Shares are available
Cons
Wages could be higher
Great Culture
Baggage Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 October 2018
Variety of work in Domestic or International Baggage Arrivals area, Transborder customs processing area, and airside agent work. Process delayed and damaged bags claims as well as lost and found items. General guest service duties.
amazing and friendy company
Agent de bord (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON28 October 2018
Great job, great people. Long hours but with amazing coworkers.
One crew concept !
Management is respectful and listen to it's employees.
You have to pass training to get officially hired.
Pros
buddy passes and such
Cons
delays
Live the culture
Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2018
Westjet is having growing pains right now but do not give up on it, the airline that was started so bravely in 1996 still exists in the staff the airplanes and the office halls.
Pros
You KNOW you are contributing to the greater good
Cons
There are some pockets of inside politics that take place sadly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WestJet Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.