Western University
Happiness score is 77 out of 100

Working at Western University: Latest Western University Reviews

Canada197 reviews

universitystudentprofessorstudyacademicgraduatecampusteaching

I really enjoyed working at Western university

work-life balance, really nice manager.There are various opportunities to participate in diverse activities and promote cultural exchange. Excellent rapport with students

Terribly ran institution, HR is awful

HR is terrible, can rescind offers at the drop of a dime and let you go just to save a couple of dollars. Seeing as the University already boosts its salaries on the upper end of staff and increases tuition despite online learning taking place, this makes it's HR/admin even more pathetic.

Pros

Campus looks good

Cons

Poor pay, HR is a nuisance, better off elsewhere

Insights into Western University

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Great Coop summer job

Did my coop term with Western university, enjoyed every day I spent there. overall relax working environment, very friendly and knowledgeable coworkers. They’re willing to coach and give you challenging tasks.

Pros

Friendly coworker, welcoming environment

Cons

Temporary Coop job

Awesome Job

This is an awesome job for students. The pay is great and it allows you to choose the days you want to work. I would recommend to anyone who needs to work and attend school.

Love it

Loved working there it was an amazing place has some amazing coworkers who were super nice and sweet I’ll go back there in the future amazing food cooked

Great for current students

Work study specifically is great because the jobs are meant to be scheduled around your school life. The staff is also great and everyone works together to make things very efficient

Fun workplace and great way to establish relationships

Very rewarding experience that will help you develop leadership skills and learn how to act in fast-paced scenarios that can arise in residence. You will bond with your community of students and work with a wonderful team of managers and dons.

Job security, lots of variety, very good management. Great place.

Western University is a great place to work, especially for a giant company. There are lots of jobs, great management, plenty of opportunity to work up and make it a career, and it's unionized so the job security is perfect. Culture is good, most employees seem happy to be there and management does a lot for you too, especially if you're a student in school. Pay seems fair or even above-par when compared to places outside Western. When I started I got paid $1 over what the wage was for the same job outside Western.Overall, awesome place, full recommend.

Pros

Job variety, great management, perfect job security, and fair pay

Cons

Bueaucratic limitations on managers, that's it.

Great pay and benefits for Teaching Assistants

Really great experience as a Teaching Assistant, there were great benefits and the pay was very good. Pay was set for the semester for 5 or 10 hours/week, and I often worked less than this but still got paid for those hours. They care about their staff.

Excellent.

A good place to work right after graduating as you do learn a lot and there’s room for advancement in the company. Colleagues were too reserved and professional though, couldn’t really ever connect or joke around with them.

Cons

Poor feedbacks

Just a great place to work

Workload is fair, everyone gets along and you will never be left without help. Western has been really good to us as temps even before we got full time.

Pros

Great benefits, good working environment

Friendly and Collegial

There might be differences across departments, but I worked with a team at Centre for Teaching and Learning and my experience was very positive. The team was professional, considerate, accommodating, and friendly. They made me feel welcome and it was pleasure through and through.

Pros

People

Cons

N/a

Job security and benefits are above average.

Wages are poor and staffing is usually short making your job as a caretaker extremely difficult some days.Wages are low and they make you pay for parking about $60/month. Benefits are good .

Pros

Free lunches some times

Cons

Odd hours of work, low pay, pay is monthly.

Great Place to experience many roles and grow

Focus on in-office and in-person work environments causes for poor work-life balance. Post pandemic, most workplaces have relaxed and made a flexible work environment. Good pay and benefits.

Pros

Pay, culture, Purple and proud

Cons

in-person office, no remote work

Caretaker.

The job itself was fine. Many cleaning duties and fast paced dynamic environment. Decent pay and nice co workers. But overall terrible experience due to willfully incivility by leadership. Toxic workplace.Being treated with little care or concern by people above you in the hierarchy makes workplaces a revolving door. Your experience may vary depending on the type of leadership you get as it is a huge place. You'll be a contract worker. Hired for the school year then terminated at the end. Have to reapply again the next year if there's an opening.

Pros

A living wage.

Cons

No job security. Poor leadership.

Best place to work

Management really cares and people were so supportive and welcoming. Best place to work. They would give you free lunch week as a staff week. I would recommend this place

Good place to work with good colleage

Great place to work with great colleagues. Good benefit good people nice employees delicious food I wish I could go back if I could be allowed to be a student

Pros

Good food

Cons

Expensive food

Great Learning Experience

All managers and department heads were very helpful and great to work with. Being able to start with little to no experience and build a knowledge base in different areas was a great opportunity, and being able to do so as a student with accommodation was even better.

excellent

Very beautiful place to work,interview was chearful and very friendly. Highly gentle treat and well arranged office. Question are simple, but high standard well beings.

Pros

fair

Cons

reasonable

Great people, enjoyed my job.

Western was a excellent place to work. Great atmosphere, surrounded by amazing people, I always felt welcome. Its a very rewarding place to work and has alot to offer. They have a great training program and offer the ability to further benefit your career. Most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help customers and co-workers in need and being apeciated for it. Will miss working there!

Pros

Benefits, respectful enviroment, training

Graduate Students: Better than many other places, but no job security.

Work can vary from days without much to do, to intense periods where you only have a week to mark 100 papers. There is not a lot of room for flexible working hours, and you may find yourself spending a lot of time covering for other graduate students and professors themselves. Workplace culture is not positive, and encourages you to live-to-work.

Cons

Long hours, intense project deadlines, no job security.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement