Western University

Western University Employee Reviews

Canada169 reviews
A lot of on the job learning
Most enjoyable part of the job was working directly with students and seeing day in and day out the impact of your role. Student appreciated the thoughtful approach.
Productive working with students and staff
I had a great time working with students from different cultures and from different countries. Working with Professors although very structured, it was flexible enough to engage in deep career learning and preparation.
Challenging experience
Firstly, it is a challenging experience for me because I am a new comer here. Not only need I to get used to research work rapidly, but also need I to get used to living in London. HaHa.

Luckily, all the hard work deserved that I've got one publication during this hard and interesting time.
Good place to work if you like to work hard
The job was easy but very demanding. Co-workers were somewhat undisciplined. Low wage service industry job but satisfying if you like working with young people. I personally loved the job.
Wonderful
Great place to work! Met some of my greatest friends here. It was a wonderful place to work- very professional, fun, and allowed me to move forward in my intended career path.
easygoing, professional
fun, easygoing, professional workplace that if very flexible with hours and very considerate to other commitments, such as volunteering, other work, and school
Allowed for flexibility
My job as a residence clerk was pretty relaxed, they allow you to use your laptop while on the job so if you are a student you can get work done while working which is really helpful. Most of the time you are just sitting down answering phone calls or helping students that have questions. You also do security runs throughout your shift to make sure everything is okay in the building. All numbers of anyone you need to contact is right in front of you so that is never a problem, also you can contact them anytime even if it is 3am because sometimes you have to due to something that happened to one of the students. Overall it is a good place to work. Orientation is fun and informative, competitive pay and flexible schedule.
great support
Enjoyed working in positive environment. Had wonderful support when technical difficulties were experienced in the classroom. Beautiful campus with excellent student supports.
Excellent.
Excellent learning experience. Collaborative work environment. Supportive. Enjoyed the supportive culture. Learned how to work independently, multi-task.
Love it
I am currently at Western in my 3rd year and absolutely in love with this school. So happy I chose this school and can't wait to continue my schooling here
Fun and friendly environment
I enjoyed working at Western University, particularly with my peers. Management required stronger professionalism and consistency. I would recommend working at Western specifically if you take pride about the product and the employer.
Great experience
It was a great experience despite the fact that I was a temporary employee. People are great and very helpful. It is a fast paced environment so definitely you need to be on your toes. There was appreciation for the work done.
Western hiring process is useless
After the multiple month interview process and physical assessment you may finally get hired as a temp, which means you have a designated end date. IF a sessional job opens up, you may get the chance to apply but the likelyhood of being hired on a continuous basis is slim at best. HR cares very little about employees unless you have been there several years and have made it to fulltime status.
Very good learning environment
I was a Teaching Assistant, so I attended the class, attended the marking meetings, and did most of the grading at home. Was a good job to have while in a grad program there.
Pros
Working in academics.
Cons
Different department, but still cool.
Fair pay and hours ability for self-improvement
motivated co-workers looking to push themselves to get better.
variable work hours but fair pay.

employer gives opportunities for further experience and education.
Worked from home
I was required to submit 6-8 hours of work at the end of each week. I was able to work anywhere I could bring my computer and choose my hours. Overall, it was a good experience.
Good opportunity
Working as a teaching assistant was a great experience. You get to interact with students and enhance their learning. All the professors/instructors I worked with were strong communicators and made my roles and responsibilities clear from the start.
good place to work. Amazing benefits and good amount of vacation. Just don't go against the grain. They have a great educational program that allows you to take fully funded courses.
Diverse, relaxed, and professional yet friendly place to work
As an interactive cook I had the opportunity to experience the hospitality side of working at Western. They put forth a good management team to ensure workers are well-rested and taken care of.
Collaborative and Friendly Work Environment
University of Western Ontario is a very collaborative working environment. Even as an online professor I found a lot of support for professional development and colleagues eager to collaborate with me. I would not hesitate to recommend UWO as an employer.
Easy going and lots of autonomy
This job is quite easy. Little to no experience is needed. There is lots of autonomy in a position like this so you need to be very good at setting daily/ weekly goals.
Pros are it provides the flexibility to set your own hours, cons are the same. You will need to be self-motivated for this work-from-home position as time-management is essential. Added pro: resume upgrade working for a university on a research project.

Overall, a very relaxed position. Great boss. Good for earning a bit of cash on the side for a single parent, full-time/part-time student, or anyone looking to add to their resume and skill set.

Typical days are 4-5 hours long, with one or two days running over the six-hour mark. Transcription work entails writing, rewriting, translating, or conveying in the written word, documents of either audio or written word into a legible written format- verbatim, or in the case of translation- as closely as possible to the original text/ audio recording.