Western University Employee Reviews

Good environment, bad pay
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 March 2019
Finished PhD and still making $1,800 per month working part time. It's dependent on funding, which I understand, and Western University doesn't have much funding compared to University of Toronto.
Fun place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 March 2019
A typical day at work was doing research on your topic and trying to create an application that can help people. The staff are great to work with. They will always try to help you if you have any questions. The hardest part of the job is trying to make your research topic work.
Easy going
CARETAKER (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 March 2019
Clean up after students and faculty. Strip floors and wax. The group of caretakers I was with were great people, except an individual. But for the most part, it is a good place to work
Pros
good hours
Cons
boring
Fantastic Employer, Very Supportive and Understanding
Exercise for Specific Populations Instructor (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 February 2019
Western University provided a tremendous employment experience, allowing me to grow professionally and continuously develop my teaching career.

Administrative support was an added bonus when time away from work was required.

Other staff were always willing to engage in dialogue to help support learning directives and create new approaches to student learning.
hardest part of the job
Residence Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 January 2019
working where you live - it is hard to fully get away from work because you are in an environment where students can always come to you. Learning boundaries have been helpful.
Good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London15 January 2019
Developed research and teaching skills alongside my doctoral studies. Helped to support my educational studies, both financially and intellectually. Overall, a positive experience.
good experience
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater London13 January 2019
Progress is dependent on funding and research activity. Good experience overall, but as postdoc no job security, substantial benefit package nor termination package.
nice place for researching
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 January 2019
nice profs and pay, good research envarionment. but this university does not really care about computer science department, which should be the most important department currently in any university.
Great Extracurricular opportunity
L.A.M.P. Mentor (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2019
Great way to give back to the community. Help students transition into first-year, and hold review sessions before exam season.
Is not too demanding, which is great if you are in a challenging program.
Pros
Fun
fun workplace
Camp Counselor, Sport Western (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 December 2018
great work culture, the job usually includes working with other students that attend the university which is a great way to make new friends for the beginning of the school year.
Amazing place to learn new things.
PhD Candidate, Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 December 2018
Westen is an amazing place to learn new things and increase your knowledge. It has a nice culture to help you gain new knowledge, amazing campus, and a nice city.
Pros
Nice campus
Excellent employer
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 November 2018
Worked for a year at WesternU and absolutely loved it! Supportive staff and friendly/professional environment. Worked closely with the staff who encouraged mental health awareness/self-care and balancing the academic culture and values.
Very laid back and great for current students
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 November 2018
I worked for Switchboard and it was the perfect student job! I learned a lot about the school. It gave me space to do my homework and created my schedule around my class schedule. Great boss!
Pros
laidback
Cons
healthcare
Western University
student (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 October 2018
I learned a lot. Very helpful team and fantastic campus experience. Brilliant people who were ready to help you learn and progress. Great opportunity to grow your network
Productive and efficient working environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 October 2018
Western Univerisity is a wonderful place to study and work. I spent 2 years on my graduate study in here. My major is on Thermofluid dynamics and mainly focus on numerical simulation using Matlab. I have learned how to solve a problem starting from knowing zero to 100. Meanwhile, I improved my technical skills to make myself more professional in the field of what I am studying. The hardest part of the job is to solve a problem that I am not familiar with, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the big sense of achievement when we worked it out.
Great environment for transitioning from Student life to Professional life!
Residence Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 October 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed the work, employer, colleagues and staff at this position. Would recommend working in this part of the university to all who wish for a challenge and to work with others. Learning, growing and stepping up are part of the work!
a super good experience
Professor Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 September 2018
The professor is a very knowledgeable person. He is so nice and loves reading.
The job is super fun and I learn a lot from my professor.
I also love my university.
Alright as a student
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater London17 September 2018
Enough to get by while going to school; work was fun, but could interfere with learning tmie and get very stressful at certain times, as expected. Having all the marking clumped together at certain points was kind of annoying, but I really enjoyed it.
Fun learning environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 August 2018
The work itself was great, however the described commitment was far less than the actual work. The expectation was only ten hours a week whereas most TA's work at least 15-20.
Good workplace to learn about food
Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 July 2018
I am not really a fan of the food at Western University. The staff are great, But the food all comes in plastic bags, and is definitely not healthy to consume. It's a shame, beause students are paying top dollar to live in the residence and eat there, when they'd save so much more money, and health buy buying food from a grocery store
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Gross food, Minimum wage