Western University

Western University Employee Reviews

Very beautiful place to work,interview was chearful and very friendly. Highly gentle treat and well arranged office. Question are simple, but high standard well beings.
Pros
fair
Cons
reasonable
Western was a excellent place to work. Great atmosphere, surrounded by amazing people, I always felt welcome. Its a very rewarding place to work and has alot to offer. They have a great training program and offer the ability to further benefit your career. Most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help customers and co-workers in need and being apeciated for it. Will miss working there!
Pros
Benefits, respectful enviroment, training
Work can vary from days without much to do, to intense periods where you only have a week to mark 100 papers. There is not a lot of room for flexible working hours, and you may find yourself spending a lot of time covering for other graduate students and professors themselves. Workplace culture is not positive, and encourages you to live-to-work.
Cons
Long hours, intense project deadlines, no job security.
Very poor culture within the department of student experience which can only be described as competitive. self serving and lacking transparency. The department has poor leadership from the VP to the directors/managers. It is common for staff to complain about leadership, poor culture and roles continuously. I've worked at three different institutions and this is by far the worst experience I have had. Honestly didn't think my last experience could be beat.
Pros
Salary
Cons
competitive between staff, lack of empathy, lack of transparency, poor management, constant expectation to work beyond hours, managers are self serving
1. A clear demarcation of race, if you are not sharing the same race with your boss, means you have messed your working life. 2. Make a document if you are promised for something in an interview. If not, you will not get it even after joining. 3. No one (HR) will inform you about the benefits until you ask them. 4. They don't know how to deal with staff, department secretary doesn't know the rules and can mess with your career. 5. Being a postdoc, you are not considered as staff nether a student, it means you miss the benefits of both. 6. unclean accommodations (Plattes-lane-state) beware of it. 7. One star for its flexible timing, a nice gym, and a beautiful city (location).
Pros
Flex time, good gym, beautiful location, green city to live.
Cons
nepotism, one race clearly favors same race, poor understanding of rules by staff, very poor documentation.
As a student leader, you get to experience a lot of different people and cultures. You learn a lot about collaborative work as you are part of a team. You also get leadership experience as you help first-years settle into university life.
Pros
Access to facilities
Cons
can be mentally taxing
Despite the very low pay, working as a Residence Don was an incredibly rewarding experience. You are charged with a large task of taking care of many individuals, solving problems, and using resources. Never in the job, however, are you truly left alone to the work; there is always supports in place and the management is incredible.
The chemistry department is a busy place to be a TA. Imperative that you make yourself available come exam season, but many members of the department are understanding and willing to help you with your responsibility of finding a replacement, if need be. Had the pleasure of working with great people when TAing for the bigger courses in the department. Overall positive experience.
Previously, Western was a better steward of the community. They offered relatively secure jobs with decent wages and benefits. Now, their reliance on contract workers, at lower wages and job precariousness, along with a top heavy management culture, they have significantly declined as a top-tier employer in London, ON.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Western University?
Most enjoyable part of the job was working directly with students and seeing day in and day out the impact of your role. Student appreciated the thoughtful approach.
I had a great time working with students from different cultures and from different countries. Working with Professors although very structured, it was flexible enough to engage in deep career learning and preparation.
A typical day at Western is all about completing my tasks efficiently. No one babysits anyone here. You have to know your goals and objectives. The goals are easier to achieve with a supervisor who knows what exactly he/she wants from you.
Firstly, it is a challenging experience for me because I am a new comer here. Not only need I to get used to research work rapidly, but also need I to get used to living in London. HaHa. Luckily, all the hard work deserved that I've got one publication during this hard and interesting time.
The job was easy but very demanding. Co-workers were somewhat undisciplined. Low wage service industry job but satisfying if you like working with young people. I personally loved the job.
Great place to work! Met some of my greatest friends here. It was a wonderful place to work- very professional, fun, and allowed me to move forward in my intended career path.
fun, easygoing, professional workplace that if very flexible with hours and very considerate to other commitments, such as volunteering, other work, and school
My job as a residence clerk was pretty relaxed, they allow you to use your laptop while on the job so if you are a student you can get work done while working which is really helpful. Most of the time you are just sitting down answering phone calls or helping students that have questions. You also do security runs throughout your shift to make sure everything is okay in the building. All numbers of anyone you need to contact is right in front of you so that is never a problem, also you can contact them anytime even if it is 3am because sometimes you have to due to something that happened to one of the students. Overall it is a good place to work. Orientation is fun and informative, competitive pay and flexible schedule.
Enjoyed working in positive environment. Had wonderful support when technical difficulties were experienced in the classroom. Beautiful campus with excellent student supports.
Excellent learning experience. Collaborative work environment. Supportive. Enjoyed the supportive culture. Learned how to work independently, multi-task.
I am currently at Western in my 3rd year and absolutely in love with this school. So happy I chose this school and can't wait to continue my schooling here
I enjoyed working at Western University, particularly with my peers. Management required stronger professionalism and consistency. I would recommend working at Western specifically if you take pride about the product and the employer.
  1. Employee reviews