Western Forest Products

Western Forest Products: 106 Employee Reviews

Canada106 reviews

westernforesafetylifeindustryproductlongworker

It’s alright

Management is poor however pay and benefits are good. Accumulated discipline plan sucks, petty suspensions and write ups. Schedule is nice if you’re full time.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Company that actually values promoting from within

I have been working with Western Forest Products since October 2021, in that time I have moved into a new role already and been given guided opportunity for advancement. I love working on a collaborative team and learning hands on. Overall grateful for my time with Western Forest Products so far.

Pros

Work from home, Opportunity for growth

Insights into Western Forest Products

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Just have to try

Not a place for slackers if you care a bit about your job then you’ll do just fine l. If you whine about stuff then it’s not the place for you. Overall a good place to work.

Great Team! Changing Culture!

- high empowerment- strong team culture and supportive- have fun with the people I work with- positive changes to work culture- strong indigenous partnerships- sustainable forestry company, proud to work here- exciting and challenging work- work from home flexibility- can see impact

It’s hard work, you need to be proactive. To bad it’s a dying industry.

Good guys, good work. Logging is a different kind of industry, there’s a lot of flying by the seat of your pants. But management would give you the tools you needed to get the job done. For better or worse your out in the element’s. Logging is up and down and if you’re not reliant on your paycheque it’s great, but they shutdown for heat and snow.

Pros

Very rewarding work

Cons

Not a lot of overtime. Overtime is gravy and there wasn’t a lot of gravy.

Supportive and caring leadership and management team and great opportunities to continuously learn and develop professional skills.

Working at Western has given me the opportunity to continuously learn and grow in my field. I feel very supported by management and my team. As a very large company, there are many moving parts, and everyone is very passionate about what they do and how they contribute to the success of the company and their teams.

Great Place!

Collaborative and fun work environment - love the people and our product! Continuing to build a culture of process improvement and diversity & inclusion!

Pros

Cares about Indigenous Relationships

It's a great place to work if your daddy or uncle already works there.

Discrimination and sexism aside, there's a reactive/ punitive approach to safety and work place injuries. Telling on others is generally rewarded, some people are "untouchable". Equipment failure is common & given priority over preventative maintenance. Add to that that frequent renovations to "boost production" constantly change direction of focus. Contractors joke "WFP = What Flippin Plan". Run by accountants of shareholders on stock market, not by approachable owners or experienced business people. Management doesn't respect input or experience of long term employees.

Pros

coworkers, They are going through same "BS" as you, Some of them react in hilariously childish ways, Keeps it entertaining.

Cons

management. give a little head to get ahead. or be related. Or be on their team in a pool tournament, or play softball in their beer league. Topless.

Great people to work with.

A good place to work. Everyone is friendly and great to work with. Great place to learn and grow into other areas of the company. Fast-paced and somewhat competitive.

Fun upbeat work environment with great knowledge holders.

As a weekend casual I’ve learned a lot being around knowledge holders who enjoy taking some time to teach something instead of having to learn the hard way.

Pros

Great co workers make great work environment

Cons

You really have to watch yourself and be cautious. Some people will call it out to management.

Not for the faint of heart

-Feels like management is always scheming new ways to stress out its workforce-There is high turnover of experienced coworkers-New workers have no one to train them-Morale is low

Decent wages, toxic culture and management style

Worked there for a year, made decent money but was extremely disorganized and poorly run. Budget management and preventative maintenance work was never properly addressed, always in a reactive maintenance state.

Pros

Wage

Cons

it is a good place to work

I love my job i spent a long time to get the barker some over 25 years but the job is very demanding and some time you have to be more respectful if your day is hard all a round Western Forest Products is a family

Pros

good place to work

Cons

with some stress

Awful place to work.

They do not care about their employees. Hours are whatever but it is the lowest paying mill in Western Forest Products. You work on a green chain and it will take years to get off it. Go work at a Sawmill, don’t waste your time at this **** hole.

Pros

It’s a job

Cons

No money

Enjoyable and multifaceted work

Not enough overtime hours to make this remote location worth while financially. 4 to 5 over time hours a week would make this employment somewhat more financially feasible.

Pros

Great scenery...on the ocean

Cons

Not enough hrs. 5 8hr shifts just isnt enough in this location.

High energy, productivity, safety first

I resigned WFP Inc. to move to Alberta to start new career and be closer to our Grandchildren. It was a huge change for my Wife and I, but we have no regrets.

From good to bad to terrible

Micro managed to death, most people on sight just absolutely hate working for this company. Management constantly lie and do everything thing they can to stress out employees. Also they single people out constantly and hold double standards from one employee to another, in the last few years wfp has gone from the best job ever to the absolute worst.

It can be good for some

Your experience with Western will vary based on location, what you do and who your manager is. Keep in mind there was a lengthy labor dispute, mass terminations and forced vacation so many are disgruntle. There are also many long tenured employees of over 20 years. Use your judgment. the majority of employees are truly great people but culture comes from the top. This may be a challenge place for you if: 1. believe people are the greatest asset and not lumber 2. Value people 3. Value communication 4. believe in doing the right thing 4. are looking for clearly defined growth 5. want work life balance. 6. don't have a thick skin 7. believe in fun where you can socialize with coworkers from time to time. 8. can't turn a blind eye.

Unsafe

Managers and supervisors are what made the place hard to work at. If you did not work 10+ straight with no lunch or coffee breaks, you would be sworn at and treated poorly. Saftey was only taken seriously when it did not affect production. Would not go back even for a 6 figure contract.

A company you work for and you don't know anything about your performance

There is no communication between your supervisor or the people you are working for. There was no working culture. The most enjoyable part of the job was that they have a great coffee machine.

Terrible

Worst company I've ever worked for. They are cheap, petty, liars, unreliable, and just plain awful. I've never been lied to my face so much in my life. I've never worked somewhere so unsafe. It was only the coworkers that made the job bearable, but sadly the company never realizes what a great group of workers they have. Hopefully they can work somewhere they are appreciated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Forest Products. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement