Western Forest Products

Western Forest Products Employee Reviews

Canada97 reviews
It can be good for some
Your experience with Western will vary based on location, what you do and who your manager is. Keep in mind there was a lengthy labor dispute, mass terminations and forced vacation so many are disgruntle. There are also many long tenured employees of over 20 years. Use your judgment. the majority of employees are truly great people but culture comes from the top. This may be a challenge place for you if:
1. believe people are the greatest asset and not lumber 2. Value people 3. Value communication 4. believe in doing the right thing 4. are looking for clearly defined growth 5. want work life balance. 6. don't have a thick skin 7. believe in fun where you can socialize with coworkers from time to time. 8. can't turn a blind eye.
From good to bad to terrible
Micro managed to death, most people on sight just absolutely hate working for this company. Management constantly lie and do everything thing they can to stress out employees. Also they single people out constantly and hold double standards from one employee to another, in the last few years wfp has gone from the best job ever to the absolute worst.
Unsafe
Managers and supervisors are what made the place hard to work at. If you did not work 10+ straight with no lunch or coffee breaks, you would be sworn at and treated poorly. Saftey was only taken seriously when it did not affect production. Would not go back even for a 6 figure contract.
A company you work for and you don't know anything about your performance
There is no communication between your supervisor or the people you are working for. There was no working culture. The most enjoyable part of the job was that they have a great coffee machine.
Terrible
Worst company I've ever worked for. They are cheap, petty, liars, unreliable, and just plain awful. I've never been lied to my face so much in my life. I've never worked somewhere so unsafe. It was only the coworkers that made the job bearable, but sadly the company never realizes what a great group of workers they have. Hopefully they can work somewhere they are appreciated.
Worst job ever
Forget any star above a one, this company and union is terrible. If the company doesn’t kill you the Union will. The company and union are in it all together for each other not for the workers. The bosses and union reps are all great long time buds and don’t give a hoot about the workers, don’t bother applying unless you are family or a close friend because your life will Terrible.
Logging is a tough gig, Western is good at keeping people working
If you are looking to work here you already know about the ups and downs of the forest industry. Western always seems to try and keep people working for as much as they can. You can do a variety things in one day. Always a different location on the logging side means having to think and be innovative every day. Seems to bae a place where everyone pulls together towards one common goal.
Nothing but stress and upper management bullies
If you like being micro managed every step of the way but fall on the sword when things go wrong. This is the place for you. Terrible culture and attitude by almost all workers. Upper management comes up with ways to ensure they get their bonuses and make the base supervisors look bad. Prepare to be thrown under the bus!!!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Western Forest Products?
Worst Place Ever
Worst place I have ever worked. Was on Probation when the strike happened and then when it was over they terminated everyone on probation without cause and even people who past probation got terminated. Supervision is a joke and the company are a bunch of liers. Don't ever apply here
Millar Western offers great benefits, pension plan, great people to work with. They offered many activities such as Golf Tournaments, Yearly company wide BBQ, Christmas party, lots of paid lunches.
Pros
Hours are great, 8 to 4:30, an hour for lunch, 5 weeks vacation.
Cons
Long hours during busy season but also expected and unavoidable. Part of the position.
Poor management skills
Workplace was stressful and under poor management. Several inappropriate comments made related to gender etc. that made the workplace uncomfortable. Management not accommodating to medical appointments and requirements for ongoing health issues.
fast pace production
fast pace production that management focuses on running quickly instead of worker safety. training is well don, poor work hours. but good wage forest industry is unpredictable..
productive place to work
don't have many complaints about working here. met a lot of life long friends and learned some new skills. would recommend for people who are looking into the logging industry
Job
The job is not bad but the management is so scared from the people above they don’t know how to get production, never listen to the employees almost belittling us a sompoints. There always right were wrong. For a young worker the its a great job with good pension. No advancement takes yrs to move from entry level jobs. They push you to the brink making you do 2 people’s jobs asking you to be quicker.
Toxic environment & no communication from management.
After ~20 years in the forest industry, with the last 7+ at WFP, I have learned a lot and felt I put my heart and soul into my job. However this work ethic apparently does not ensure job security. I was fired "without cause" from WFP. No warning, explanation or even a chance to defend myself against whatever their reasoning was.

It had become an increasingly toxic work environment since amalgamating divisions in 2015 and Corporate trying to 'Define a Higher Standard'. A lot of people did the work of two, while a few others simply thought and acted as though they were in a living room, or coffee shop. Apparently talking to supervisors about lack of support and distractions in the office, just gets one fired.

I worked for and with some amazing supervisors and other staff, but upper management is another story. Hard working employees are easily expendable in their world, with no communication whatsoever.

I would never recommend this company to anyone looking for work. And even more so in light of the strike issues and what the upper echelon at WFP earn in a year.
Pros
Some good employees
Cons
Lots
Needs Improvement
Management does a poor job holding people accountable and job performance suffers because of it. Supervisors aren’t held to the standards of the companies beliefs and policies. Confidentiality is an issue.
Not worth the stress
I worked there 13 years and it was the biggest was of my life I have ever experienced you DO NOT NEED the degrading atmosphere this place can put on through and your family it was the biggest waste of my life I will ever experience
My experience with WFP has been a very positive one. Management is good, it promotes health and wellness and flexibility within your group. Decent pay and great benefits. Office is very casual and nice people to work with.
Pros
flexible good pay benefits
Cons
you are judged by your relationships with management not abilities. Drug and alcohol policy used to harass employees.
Good crew, poor management. Plenty of back stabbing. Kiss butts you'll
do fine. Upper management don't have a clue, shareholders are more

important than workers. Equipment is pretty good but again, bosses above camp level try to micromanage but have no idea. Safety is talked about but it all comes down to who you are and whose butt your kissing.
No good
Don’t work there unless you have absolutely no other options. Only 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Extremely negative working atmosphere. Very poor and slow decision making by management.
Avoid at all costs.
If you're simply looking for a town job then give it a try. If you are new to the industry or are looking for a career change then avoid like the plague. The corporate sickness is rotting what was once an excellent company from the top down.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Forest Products. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3