Western Forest Products Employee Reviews

Beware: This company is bad news
Prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC22 June 2018
WFP will suck everything out of you then spit you out as a dried up husk of the person you once were. You will be micromanaged to within an inch of your life by execs/management, who then try to protect themselves by throwing you under the bus. You can accomplish all your goals and measures, meet or even exceed expectations - but all for nothing. No raises, no COL increases, and no explanations. Nothing is transparent. This leads to an unmotivated workforce which spends time each day looking for another job. Turn over is high, coworkers just disappear without any announcement, and no one knows who does what anymore. Highly experienced people are walking out the door and heading to the competition and no one seems to care. There is no leadership at the top. Of any kind. Full stop.
Pros
Your immediate team can be great, mainly because you are huddled together trying to survive the storm.
Cons
Long hours, no raises, no communication, no sense of community, nasty upper management, no leadership.
Interesting industry, horrible company culture
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 June 2018
There are some very hard working and intelligent people that work at Western. This is a great time to be in the Forest Industry, with the company hitting record profits month after month so I guess there is job security. These are the only positives about Western.

Now the negatives:
- Horrible management that pressure you to work long unpaid hours
- Despite record profits, employee salaries are well below industry standards
- Prepare to be judged if you decide to leave the office to grab lunch, or to leave after working your 8 hours. It is expected to work at least 10 hours/day, with no remuneration for the overtime.
- The pay is below average, especially when you consider the amount of hours you put in. You can make more money in other industries by working way less hours.
- Very unorganized processes. No one in the company truly understands the accounting processes.
- Administration staff are working weekends without pay to satisfy unrealistic expectations set by people in the ivory tower
- Incredibly high turnover
- Company is cutting benefits, particularly vacation
Pros
Met some great hard working people
Cons
Long unpaid hours that are not appreciated
Betrayed
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 May 2018
After 30+ years working for this company I was put on written notice of termination WITHOUT CAUSE.
This basically means that there isn't a severance package, but rather an offer to continue working for a specified period. For me the offer was a year and a half and then adios, no payout, no retirement party, no nothing. In essence, you are fired, but after we get more out of you.
The feeling of having to continue to work for a company that kicked you to the curb is both humiliating and hurtful. I'm struggling to gather any enthusiasm and job satisfaction as I once had. I've always loved going to work.
I know I have the option to quit, but not so easy given my age and that my roots are well planted here.
When I reached my 25 year milestone It wasn't acknowledged, not even a thankyou. The past practice for the predecessor company, MacMillan Bloedel was a trip to Vancouver to be presented with a gold watch (and this was for houly personnel)

WFP offers its salary personnel an incentive bonus.
This is basically a goal setting exercise where rewards can be achieved if the company has a profitable year and you meet or exceed your goals. My (new) manager didn't approach me, not even once to discuss my goals for 2017. My supervisor was the one to tell me when the goals needed to be submitted.
I was astonished when I didn't receive a bonus since I had completed all my goals. I wasn't given a letter, reason or anything as to why I wouldn't be receiving this bonus. Every year previously (with different managers) I was given a bonus if there was one.

To summarize, I have been
  more... with this company a long time through many changes. I bled the company colours and believed what they told me, that employees are their best asset.
I believed that I would come to retire with this company and to enjoy a comfortable, if not a rich retirement at the age of 65.
My life has been shattered. I was told that the company is going in a new direction...a " Higher Standard". I now really question what this means.
I no longer recognize what this organization has become (by which, long time personnel are treated and disposed of)

I think it might still be a good employer for hourly workers with union protection, but I would strongly think twice about accepting a salary position with this company. The old saying "i wish I knew then what I know know" resonates with me.

One thing for prospective employees to consider is that the forest industry is very cyclical with many ups and downs (layoffs) so until you have the seniority, things can be very unstable.

In summary, I've been completely honest in my review. I probably sound like I'm venting, but I know others who are in the same position who feel the same way.

My feelings of WFP can be summed up in one word - BETRAYAL
Pros
Vancouver Island, Many good colleagues
Cons
Morale, $$$$ over People
What happened
QC (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo12 April 2018
Once upon a time this was a good company to work for. No job satisfaction, no real benefits, long hours, poor management, forced (unpaid) overtime. If you are a professional looking to advance your career, this is not the place for you.

Most "management" is not in the union, so they get to experience hatred from majority of the workforce who are, while also experiencing higher ups breathing down their necks and looking for any chance to take their anger out. The only way to excel with this company is by being a workaholic with 0 homelife. Vacation time is repeatedly getting cut down.

For new graduates, run, run far away from this company. Do not make the mistake I did. The money they offer (which actually is on the low end of the industry) may blind you from the problems at first, but your happiness will suffer in the long run. Also, I had things stolen off my desk, including a jacket and water bottle.
Pros
Cons
long hours, poor management, no benefits, bully culture.
Horrible Horrible Place
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Chemainus, BC12 April 2018
The sexism and disrespect that goes on in Western Forest Products is appalling. Management does not look out for their workers. Some employees are treated so poorly and take it because they need a job. I suggest you stay as far away from this place as you can. Your sanity and happiness is more important.
hard manual labor, safety is first no matter what with the company
CLEAN UP CREW (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC3 April 2018
loved the work and loved the wage but it impacted my health, with all the saw dust and cedar dust i had sinus infections regularly, this and the hours that were given to me didn't work for my home life with my family as i never got to see them and was to tired from work to do any other activities.however it was a great learning experience to work in a logging industry.
Pros
learning
Cons
long hours and health impact
Avoid at all costs
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC18 March 2018
If it was not for the money, I really doubt anyone would work for this company.

They do not care about their employees at all. I will not be returning even though I got an offer, because I do not want to babysit a bunch of union workers who complain all day long and dont know how good they have it ($30 an hour for being a janitor).

The management is no better, as half of them barely even graduate highschool, so they have no critical thinking skills or compassion for others.

The worst thing of all, is they think they can get away with offering me under 60k a year. I'm about to receive a degree in Wood Products Processing, with multiple summers of mill experience, and they pull this stunt. Good luck attracting any real young talent who are not complete pushovers.

Also I agree with the other person, their corporate recruitment is by far the worst I have ever had to deal with in or out of the forestry industry. What does L.D. do all day? Because it sure doesn't involve recruiting people.
Pros
Cons
long hours, bad management, bad union environment, extremely bad recruiters.
Stressful and weak leadership
PROCESS SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC2 March 2018
There were some very good people who work for Western, but senior management is very disorganized and have unrealistic expectations of people. If you are looking for a long term career, I would look elsewhere. I wish I would have known this before uprooting my family and moving to the island.
Pros
Island was nice.
Cons
Long hours, very stressful.
Toxic
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chemainus, BC1 March 2018
Horrible place to work. Management treats their employees like dogs. Use to be a great place to work now It is garbage. Most people would quit if it was not for the pay.
Incompetent Recruiters
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 February 2018
I have never seen a company with worse HR than Western. The head recruiter must secretly work for another company because they do a great job at steering both new and old employees away before they even begin. Will not contact you even when they have an offer ready, making you wonder and wait for nothing, until you call them and they makes excuses as to why they were unable to keep you in the loop.

Fed up with the company before I even started working for them, and instantly looked for a new job where the employer actually cared about gaining talent.
Pros
Cons
Terrible recruitment, no respect for employees
Every week is like a reality show
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC15 February 2018
Mill Managers, Superintendents and Foremen are climbing over each other to please an egomaniac! Also, their heads are buried deep in the sand like a bunch of ostriches when it comes to many issues, ie, rampant bullying/harassment. Do not know know how to deal with this stuff or simply do not give a ****! My personal experience speaks to the latter! My hope is one day the incompetent Management, toxic culture and all that breeds in this environment is brought to the Media's attention and exposed as was the RCMP, Military and other organizations!
Pros
Retirement on the horizon
Cons
A big bowl of toxic soup
Poor leadership
Millwright (Current Employee) –  British Columbia10 February 2018
There is no work/life balance for maintenance workers since the company started 10hr weekend shifts. No respect for trades. Unqualified supervisors. Micro managed departments.
Pros
Wages are above average
Cons
Not good to people
Good job, good pay, terrible location
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Holberg, BC10 February 2018
I enjoy what I do for western forest products. Its a great job where I have gained a ton of experience. The only problem is that it's in camp with a Monday to Friday shift which makes it difficult to have a home life.
Absolutely horrible not worth applying
Carrier operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC30 December 2017
Horrible company to work for management always changing. And don't trust mill workers. Management likes to play the pekabo game watching workers doing there jobs. There mills are outdated. Or obsolete Never lock outs. Everything left wide open. Dangerous place to work if your desperate enough. Rather drive truck. Make more.
Pros
Ticket to the grave if you don't make it!
Cons
End up getting killed.
Avoid Salary positions, union jobs are fine.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC21 June 2017
Western has a solid future, I worked for the company for over 20 years. However, Salaried employees are leaving all the time, some don't even have a job to go to. At a time when the company is it's most profitable it is eroding salaried employees benefits and vacation packages. Be preparedv for long workdays and inadequate relief for when you go on vacation. Be prepared to work during your vacation. If you are a supervisor be prepared that your employees are making significantly more than you. If you are applying for a union job I would definitely recommend the company, I would never recommend that you take a salary position under the current leadership of the company.
Pros
Solid future as a Coastal lumber producer on Vancouver Island
Cons
There is no respect for work life balance for salaried employees
Great learning
Business Intelligence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 May 2017
I managed the BI for western Forest products. I am the only BI person who was delivering BI solutions. I'm responsible for data warehouse architecture plus all the ETL packages loading data to data warehouse.
Learn a lot of new things and troubleshooting techniques.
No good for family life. Long hours
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC12 May 2017
These guys dont care about you or the community they operate in. They dont care about your family. New management every week while they cut production jobs, giving workers extra work load. Managers in the bite also no lock outs on there ends. Should be canned right there new. All they care about is there pockets being lined with bonuses while WE the works wear our selves out and never see our families. Sure we could leave but were do you make this money without leaving BC. Safety is out the door here ....production production and u guessed it production.
I hate working here they shut down more mills and lay people off but where do you go?
Walmart Mc donalds?
Great job
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC29 March 2017
Great job. I was a lifer here until they shut down for good. It was a strong union which was good at times but there was some things I didn't approve of. But it was a union and majority rules. Wish I still work there. But the pulp mill is gone.
Pros
Great work place, love working here.
Cons
The union and employee battles.
This is the best company I have worked for.
Export Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 February 2017
It is a fast- paced environment and its so exciting specially at the end of the day when you know you were able to manage the heavy workload at the fullest extent and you know you have done a good job. The best company ever.
Pros
Bonus for an excellent job which I have deserved.
Cons
Long hours - heavy workload but is very satisfying at the end of the day.
Awful company to work for
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC24 January 2017
Vindictive, predatory management. No respect for employees family and personal requirements and goals. Work, work, work. Be prepared to fight to be able to take your vacation time.
Ever changing goals. Inconsistent policies. Rules dont apply to execs. Nepotism.
Despite the fluffy corporate values statement, people do not matter at wfp and the ridiculous turnover of staff proves it.
Pros
Job on the island
Cons
Too many to list. Just an awful, toxic culture created by a handful of egomaniacs