Western Forest Products Employee Reviews

Excellent Company
Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2018
I have been with Western Forest Products for 9 months. In this time I have been able to learn and grow substantially. There are clear goals and expectations of me as well as tons of opportunities for enhancement and growth. I am already experiencing career progression at Western and have been awarded my first promotion.

Additionally, the team at Western has been extremely welcoming and the culture is performance driven and friendly. I could not ask for a better place to work!
Pros
People are amazing, Growth and Developmental Opportunities, and Compensation
Cons
N/a
Truth
Peasant (Former Employee) –  Chemainus, BC8 January 2019
I could go on and on about all of the reasons for you to not apply here.

1. Horrible work atmosphere.. everyone is miserable..without a doubt after a few months in working here you will be too
2. Management is beyond underqualified and will treat you as if you are beneath them and disregard pretty much everything important that you have to say.
3. Nothing is consistent and there is no communication and this will drive you insane
4.They preach that safety is important but do not even follow procedures themselves or address important issues
5. Disrespect is a everyday thing here driving all of the qualified employees out the door

If you want a work environment that you absolutely dread going to everyday than this job is right for you.
Cons
How much time do you have?
A good place to learn and grow
HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2018
I haven't been at WFP for very long but already it feels like I will be here for a while. It truly feels that if you put in the time and the effort you will get rewarded.

A big plus for me is the size of the organization. You won't be pigeon holed into one position for your entire career because there are so many departments and so many different paths to go if you talk to your manager. The company is also willing to help its employees learn and grow! As a recent graduate who never wanted to go back to school, the chance to keep learning is surprisingly attractive.

Forestry isn't the most attractive industry in Vancouver, but WFP is trying to make wood sexy again.
Pros
Room for advancement; Good pay; Central location; Lots of work!
Cons
Lots of work (either a pro or con depending on your outlook)
Growth Opportunities
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Various12 December 2018
I have been working at WFP for over 2 years and worked at multiple locations throughout the company. I have been able to work with lots of amazing people, and continue to have lots of opportunity to learn and develop in my various roles.

The workplace culture varies by location due to each region's own dynamics, but each location's employees consistently show a desire to do what's best for the company, and are very welcoming to new staff.

I highly recommend WFP to all jobseekers. As with any job there is an expectation at times to work overtime as needed but in my experience I have been rewarded with greater flexibility in my schedule due to understanding managers.

A day at WFP is never dull and does it bring its challenges but the pros far outweigh the cons and will lead to a rewarding career.
Stay far away!
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC24 October 2018
Terrible employer. Making record profits yet cutting slary/benefits constantly. They are the reason I have left the industry, along with hordes of potential career loggers. I honestly dont know how the industry will survive WFP's business practices.

Morale is rock bottom, intense politics at all levels. Micro management at all levels, constant nickel and diming. Many employees feel trapped and are miserable. Contractors get treated even more poorly. There is no positive to employment, just work for MOF or BCTS and enjoy your life. If WFP's monopoly on the TFL's isn't corrected this industry will crumble.

Run!
Pros
Cons
Many - see review
Growing company with opportunity to learn and grow
HR Leader (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 December 2018
WFP has significant strategic change initiatives and there is tremendous opportunity to be involved in stretch projects that help your development. The work can be challenging, as there is lots to be done, but if you aren't afraid to work hard and get your hands dirty it is an amazing place to work and grow.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Trades Would Have To Desperate And Beaten Down To Work Here
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC11 January 2019
"RED ALERT" Inept, non qualified Maintenance Management will conduct an interview and Not inform you that your shifts WILL BE, Thurs-Sun, Fri-Mon, or Sat-Tues! Of course they'll say it won't take long to get a decent Monday to Friday Shift. This is called "Alternative Facts"! Be prepared to attempt to hold the Companies feet to the fire to have them adhere to their own Safety Policies and Procedures. Five long term Millwrights have quit at one of their Sawmills in the past six months and instead of fixing the obvious Management issues, don't seem too concerned with the mass exodus claiming, "Retirement" as the reason. Again, " alternative facts"! If you decide to heed the warning and accept employement, I wish you luck. You will soon find out why others have bailed! Grow a thick skin fellow Tradespersons and remember, every I-beam and structure has an Unqualified Foreman or a Rat Chargehand watching your every move!
Pros
No longer there
Cons
Inept, incompetent leadership
Nothing but utter contempt for this company
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC8 July 2018
Changed shift schedule with no regard for work/life balance so I decided to leave before implementation.The division i worked at had extremely weak management, aside from the general manager whom i respected. The union isnt much help either, being run by people who no longer even have jobs within the company. I would counsel anyone who may be considering working here to exhaust every other employment option first before even thinking of working for this group of reprehensible scumbags.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Incompetence from CEO down
Documentation VCR
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 October 2018
A very unprofessional company, I have never witnessed so much politics throughout my career. They will fire you as just cause, not worth investing your hard earned experience.
Pros
Nice office location
Cons
No professionalism
At least they’re consistent. They treat both hourly and salary the same
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC7 May 2018
Just announced: 26% increase in EBITDA over same period last year, 12.5% increase in shareholder dividend
Was told “its been a rough year, only those with exceeds expectations got a raise” (I understand around 1%)
50+ hr work week, understaffed so you have to do more “other duties as required”
Company does not recognize bank time
Unused vacation is not paid out but lost
What do you have to do to get exceeds expectations anyways? Live at the mill?
Pros
You enjoy home life more
Cons
Big list
I was an engineers assistant
Engineers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bella Bella, BC21 August 2018
The bush crew I worked with was amazing. I learned alot and the only reason I stopped working there was because I was in Bella Bella and their work was done in the area.
Beware: This company is bad news
Prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC22 June 2018
WFP will suck everything out of you then spit you out as a dried up husk of the person you once were. You will be micromanaged to within an inch of your life by execs/management, who then try to protect themselves by throwing you under the bus. You can accomplish all your goals and measures, meet or even exceed expectations - but all for nothing. No raises, no COL increases, and no explanations. Nothing is transparent. This leads to an unmotivated workforce which spends time each day looking for another job. Turn over is high, coworkers just disappear without any announcement, and no one knows who does what anymore. Highly experienced people are walking out the door and heading to the competition and no one seems to care. There is no leadership at the top. Of any kind. Full stop.
Pros
Your immediate team can be great, mainly because you are huddled together trying to survive the storm.
Cons
Long hours, no raises, no communication, no sense of community, nasty upper management, no leadership.
hard manual labor, safety is first no matter what with the company
CLEAN UP CREW (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC3 April 2018
loved the work and loved the wage but it impacted my health, with all the saw dust and cedar dust i had sinus infections regularly, this and the hours that were given to me didn't work for my home life with my family as i never got to see them and was to tired from work to do any other activities.however it was a great learning experience to work in a logging industry.
Pros
learning
Cons
long hours and health impact
Horrible Horrible Place
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Chemainus, BC12 April 2018
The sexism and disrespect that goes on in Western Forest Products is appalling. Management does not look out for their workers. Some employees are treated so poorly and take it because they need a job. I suggest you stay as far away from this place as you can. Your sanity and happiness is more important.
What happened
QC (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo12 April 2018
Once upon a time this was a good company to work for. No job satisfaction, no real benefits, long hours, poor management, forced (unpaid) overtime. If you are a professional looking to advance your career, this is not the place for you.

Most "management" is not in the union, so they get to experience hatred from majority of the workforce who are, while also experiencing higher ups breathing down their necks and looking for any chance to take their anger out. The only way to excel with this company is by being a workaholic with 0 homelife. Vacation time is repeatedly getting cut down.

For new graduates, run, run far away from this company. Do not make the mistake I did. The money they offer (which actually is on the low end of the industry) may blind you from the problems at first, but your happiness will suffer in the long run. Also, I had things stolen off my desk, including a jacket and water bottle.
Pros
Cons
long hours, poor management, no benefits, bully culture.
Incompetent Recruiters
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 February 2018
I have never seen a company with worse HR than Western. The head recruiter must secretly work for another company because they do a great job at steering both new and old employees away before they even begin. Will not contact you even when they have an offer ready, making you wonder and wait for nothing, until you call them and they makes excuses as to why they were unable to keep you in the loop.

Fed up with the company before I even started working for them, and instantly looked for a new job where the employer actually cared about gaining talent.
Pros
Cons
Terrible recruitment, no respect for employees
Every week is like a reality show
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC15 February 2018
Mill Managers, Superintendents and Foremen are climbing over each other to please an egomaniac! Also, their heads are buried deep in the sand like a bunch of ostriches when it comes to many issues, ie, rampant bullying/harassment. Do not know know how to deal with this stuff or simply do not give a ****! My personal experience speaks to the latter! My hope is one day the incompetent Management, toxic culture and all that breeds in this environment is brought to the Media's attention and exposed as was the RCMP, Military and other organizations!
Pros
Retirement on the horizon
Cons
A big bowl of toxic soup
Stressful and weak leadership
PROCESS SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC2 March 2018
There were some very good people who work for Western, but senior management is very disorganized and have unrealistic expectations of people. If you are looking for a long term career, I would look elsewhere. I wish I would have known this before uprooting my family and moving to the island.
Pros
Island was nice.
Cons
Long hours, very stressful.
Absolutely horrible not worth applying
Carrier operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC30 December 2017
Horrible company to work for management always changing. And don't trust mill workers. Management likes to play the pekabo game watching workers doing there jobs. There mills are outdated. Or obsolete Never lock outs. Everything left wide open. Dangerous place to work if your desperate enough. Rather drive truck. Make more.
Pros
Ticket to the grave if you don't make it!
Cons
End up getting killed.
Interesting industry, horrible company culture
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 June 2018
There are some very hard working and intelligent people that work at Western. This is a great time to be in the Forest Industry, with the company hitting record profits month after month so I guess there is job security. These are the only positives about Western.

Now the negatives:
- Horrible management that pressure you to work long unpaid hours
- Despite record profits, employee salaries are well below industry standards
- Prepare to be judged if you decide to leave the office to grab lunch, or to leave after working your 8 hours. It is expected to work at least 10 hours/day, with no remuneration for the overtime.
- The pay is below average, especially when you consider the amount of hours you put in. You can make more money in other industries by working way less hours.
- Very unorganized processes. No one in the company truly understands the accounting processes.
- Administration staff are working weekends without pay to satisfy unrealistic expectations set by people in the ivory tower
- Incredibly high turnover
- Company is cutting benefits, particularly vacation
Pros
Met some great hard working people
Cons
Long unpaid hours that are not appreciated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Forest Products. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5