Western Financial Group Employee Reviews

Poor Management/Lack of Empathy
Account Executive (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Alberta27 September 2019
In the beginning I thought I had hit the jackpot. Came in with no prior insurance background and by the end of 3 months had my level 2 insurance licence. Head office promised us the world, home office, expenses paid, support staff to handle submissions and admin work so we could sell, sell, sell. Started with no book of business so we needed that. Support staff refused to assist and only gave advice and did not know how to use the systems. Had 5 different managers in 3 years, only one knew how to coach us and they let him go. Bit by bit all the perks were whittled away and I was stuck with a manager that had no idea how coach/manage a commercial producer, advisor staff were verbally abusive, clients given to other staff even if they were one of my prospects/referrals, blamed for mismanaging files even with clear documentation to prove this was not the case. I could go on and on. In the end, instead of honouring what was promised or offering another position within the company they let me go. Along with everyone else that took their commercial producer program.
Productive and fun atmosphere
Internship (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 August 2019
For the short time I was there is a great team atmosphere in each department. The managers interacted with the staff on a regular basis. They are great!
Ruined A Career Path
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 July 2019
Your day generally starts off with getting into the office and instantly starting to get calls and answer email requests. This is absolutely fine if you are used to a fast-paced environment but there are so many people that are hired that got the job because of "general insurance level 1 or 2" license. Be prepared to have to do the job of at least two people with no increase in compensation.

The turn over rate is ridiculous. In the time that I worked there, there were 12 people that came and left before I finally had enough. If you're a good worker there, expect to be ridden into the ground.

Management care only for sales and little about their employees. This goes for any level of management that you may come in contact with.

The pay structure is laughable. Starting out at other companies in the same city you can instantly be making what someone who was there for almost 3 years was.

Seniority means nothing as well. There is little to no opportunity to move up unless someone who has been there for years leaves the company. Those that are in any position that is higher than an Insurance Advisor do not know the basics that those under them do. There were many times that I would be doing the job of those above me because they wouldn't or couldn't do it.

Listen to your employees. It isn't always just petty issues. Something that seems small to management can be quite large to those that are under them.

Working here ruined a career path for me that at first I enjoyed and now just am glad that I never had to deal with again.
Pros
Quarterly Bonuses
Cons
Weekend Work, Low Pay
Productive and fun place to work
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB20 June 2019
I had an amazing team and management at Western financial group. I have gained great experience and knowledge being a broker.

we worked as one western in Lloydminster and have achieved amazing results together. i have learned to prioritize my tasks and help clients while being positive throughout the day.

The three years at Western has definitely prepared me for my future role as Insurance adviser.
Life at western
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC10 June 2019
Management ( team lead) does not have the proper training or people skills to manage a team. One set of rules for managers another set for employees. People being written up for invalid reasons. If you confront or voice your concerns they get their back up and defensive. They are not a fair work life balance. Management also talks about other staff to their co workers. Very very poor office moral. Current supervisor does not have training in all departments therefore it's very unfair that this person cannot assist all whom she oversees. They make u feel incompetent and second guess yourself all the time. It's really unfortunate as it use to be a great place to work. With current management it has unfortunately taken a toll for the worse.
Don't recommend working for WFG
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan5 June 2019
Wages a joke, even after additional education no wage increase
Upper management is only out to line their own pockets
Front line workers expected to take on more and more duties without any wage increases
Very unprofessional/harassing emails from management telling you that you are not working hard enough
Expected to work extended hours without pay or time off in lieu
Bonus' are rated on complete office performance rather than individual performance
No opinions are wanted, shut up and work...
Branch Managers change often....can't keep them...wonder why???
Pros
Caring Co Workers
Cons
Wages, Management
Plan to work here forever or not at all
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  BC13 May 2019
I spent 10 years working at Western Financial Group, however I had to relocate to an area that they don't service. What I discovered while looking for a new job is that WFG won't give references. Since that is the only place I've worked in the last decade I have no current references and it has proven impossible to find work. I have applied for hundreds of jobs with a pretty high response rate, but as soon as the companies find out I don't have any references I never hear from them again. I have been looking for work for over a year now. It's really unfortunate that WFG punishes it's long term employees this way, so unless you plan to work there for less than a year, or for life, don't bother.
needs more culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 May 2019
Needs more culture. Need to pay more. It was male dominated. That's all I have to say.

That is all. That is all. That is all. Thank you do very much and
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not enough minority
If you need a job... it’s okay. You can do better tho
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan30 April 2019
Training was below average.
Backstabbing and under the bus instances.
Staff that was in charge were unreliable.
Quite possibly the sickest office ever.
Management is green and needs training on how to manage and speak to staff.
Sick days are good and benefits were okay, but lots of hoops to jump through.
I was excited to start my brokerage career here. Change of management and everything went downhill. FAST.

Don’t get me wrong. You can do worse. But if you start working for WFG be prepared for politics and high school antics. Be forewarned.
Pros
Sick days
Cons
Too many to list
Why I enjoy my job at Western
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 March 2019
Western Financial Group is a great place to work because the management is always helping to make sure you can improve and if you want move up within the company.
Happy Employee!
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 March 2019
I really enjoy working for Western Financial Group. Lots of training provided and lots of support within the company. I would recommend this company if you are looking to get into the Insurance Industry.
Great Career!
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 March 2019
If you are interested in building a career, Western is a great place to do so. Opportunities are there is you work hard to know your role and advance your knowledge.
great place to work
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 March 2019
Western Financial is a great company to work for. The hardest and also most rewarding part of this job is being able to help clients with their needs and make sure they understand what they are getting. Customer service is really important at Western.
Positive Work Environment
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Manitoba25 March 2019
Western Financial Group does a great job of promoting individual and organizational growth while sticking to our Guiding Principles of Truthfulness, Fairness, Value and Loyalty.
Western Financial Group
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  High River, AB25 March 2019
The best part of working for Western is the great people we work with. We have great structured procedures, while still making me feel valued as an individual. Western makes me feel like my opinions matter and is always encouraging new and innovative ideas.
Western cares
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  High River, AB25 March 2019
Western is a great place to work. The company cares about the employees and does its best to ensure a fair and open work environment. I'd recommend this company to anyone.
Small Town Advantage
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  High River, AB25 March 2019
I love working at a corporate head office in a small town. I live in the same small town. I love the short commute and the opportunity to balance my family life.
Great company
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  High River, AB25 March 2019
I enjoy working for a company that is very community minded, and Western definitely is!
My manger and co-workers are great team players and make coming to work everyday enjoyable
working at WFG
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  High River, AB25 March 2019
My typical day at work is to process payments for carrier and answer emails internally and externally. I have learned how insurance companies work which I am new to it. Management is good and very supportive. The best part of the job is that the company shows how they appreciate you like freebies.
Absolutely Love This Company
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  High River, AB25 March 2019
I've worked in many different roles, for many different companies, and Western Financial Group is the only that has ever made me feel welcome. I felt like I was part of the team immediately, and was greeted with helpful responses whenever I needed assistance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.