Western Financial Group

Western Financial Group Pay & benefits reviews

Featured review
Western Financial Group selected this as a representative review
Great place to start a career in the insurance industry, trained and be licensed, then wait for an opportunity to move forward in your career. Set goals for yourself.
I was employed here as a director. Initially everything seemed fine. Actually it seemed more than fine, almost too good. Then i started noticing things. I started to notice what kind of people I was directly reporting to. Let me preface this by saying I left an extremely good position based off of false pretences and promises. I soon realized that what the 1400 or some odd employees out in the field saw was not necessarily the real story. They would be praised to their faces then laughed at and ridiculed behind their backs. A perfect example was a meeting I attended at the Saddledome with 2 execs. Completely shattered my image of this company. But, I suppose the lure of a very good salary is enough to make almost anyone willing to throw people under the bus for their own gain, not me. It is a very back stabbing and cut throat executive group there only looking out for a chosen few. I could go into detail but what’s the point, i’m in a better place now but boy did they screw me over at a very inconvenient time in my life.
Pros
worked from home
Cons
The entire executive
I really enjoy my job at Western Financial Group. My daily duties are interesting and fast paced. Western has given me so many opportunities to learn more and advance in my career. Benefits are great and management is amazing. My coworkers are like my second family and are always there if I need anything. Overall great place to work and a great team!
Pros
Benefits, Teamwork, Learning Opportunities
Ok pay. Excellent benefits. Position had far more expectations & demands than advertised. Mgmt tracks every single error, no matter how miniscule or& tracks every in/outbound email. Speed & accuracy are paramount. Being trained by a peer does not necessarily mean that you are given all the relevant information required. Gossip is rampant. Not necessarily the most supportive atmosphere for a newcomer.
Benefits
Cons
Attitude of "team members" to department newbies
My experience as an insurance advisor meant that I was able to talk with many people either on the phone or in person. The best part of the job was to be able to help people with their insurance needs and see if they could save money.
Customer orientated. Look out for the customers best interest. Staff try and treat you like family. Great benefits in you are planning on making this a career
Your day generally starts off with getting into the office and instantly starting to get calls and answer email requests. This is absolutely fine if you are used to a fast-paced environment but there are so many people that are hired that got the job because of "general insurance level 1 or 2" license. Be prepared to have to do the job of at least two people with no increase in compensation. The turn over rate is ridiculous. In the time that I worked there, there were 12 people that came and left before I finally had enough. If you're a good worker there, expect to be ridden into the ground. Management care only for sales and little about their employees. This goes for any level of management that you may come in contact with. The pay structure is laughable. Starting out at other companies in the same city you can instantly be making what someone who was there for almost 3 years was. Seniority means nothing as well. There is little to no opportunity to move up unless someone who has been there for years leaves the company. Those that are in any position that is higher than an Insurance Advisor do not know the basics that those under them do. There were many times that I would be doing the job of those above me because they wouldn't or couldn't do it. Listen to your employees. It isn't always just petty issues. Something that seems small to management can be quite large to those that are under them. Working here ruined a career path for me that at first I enjoyed and now just am glad that I never had to deal with again.
Pros
Quarterly Bonuses
Cons
Weekend Work, Low Pay
Wages a joke, even after additional education no wage increase Upper management is only out to line their own pockets Front line workers expected to take on more and more duties without any wage increases Very unprofessional/harassing emails from management telling you that you are not working hard enough Expected to work extended hours without pay or time off in lieu Bonus' are rated on complete office performance rather than individual performance No opinions are wanted, shut up and work... Branch Managers change often....can't keep them...wonder why???
Pros
Caring Co Workers
Cons
Wages, Management
Needs more culture. Need to pay more. It was male dominated. That's all I have to say. That is all. That is all. That is all. Thank you do very much and
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not enough minority
Training was below average. Backstabbing and under the bus instances. Staff that was in charge were unreliable. Quite possibly the sickest office ever. Management is green and needs training on how to manage and speak to staff. Sick days are good and benefits were okay, but lots of hoops to jump through. I was excited to start my brokerage career here. Change of management and everything went downhill. FAST. Don’t get me wrong. You can do worse. But if you start working for WFG be prepared for politics and high school antics. Be forewarned.
Pros
Sick days
Cons
Too many to list
This employer elected to publish survey results gathered via Indeed Insider. The survey results included this review. The employer has indicated that the reviewer was a current employee at the time this review was written.
The work I do is challenging and we are consistently under staffed. However this s young company and the IT department is beginning to mature. I have confidence that our feedback will result in better and better wages, benefits and work life balance.
Western is a great place to work. Pay/benefits aren't great but the work/life balance is great and there is a family atmosphere. Management/Execs are accessible and easy to talk to/ask questions. There are social events every week but the location of head office means there isn't a lot of opportunity to go out for lunch or coffee unless you want to drive, so most people eat lunch at their desk, which means it can be a little antisocial. The company has been and continues to be successful so it's rewarding to be a part of their growth.
I have been with Western for a while now and I have a very mixed view of the company. We parade our principles of truthfulness, fairness, loyalty and value, but I've seen multiple times where the corporation takes over and those principles are completely ignored. I've seen gross unfairness leveled at employees, I've seen favoritism get people jobs, I've seen employees serious complaints ignored. I've seen loyal employees pushed out and destructive ones kept on or rehired. Some people feel they have no advancement options. I've also seen employees be really happy, have fun, most days are normal, easy and stress free. It depends on what area you work in. Some managers are smart, intelligent and treat their employees well and you can tell by how long their employees stay for. There are people here I truly enjoy working with. I don't think some of these positive and negative aspects are unique to this company. There are reasons I like working here. The work life balance, the people I get to work with, benefits, relatively easy job, reward of a job well done, recognition and community giving. I just struggle some days with the few examples I've seen that are the exact opposite of the principles the company likes to preach.
Pretty good place to work. Fantastic staff. We have not have had a manager for a few years now, and that part is super frustrating. After a really long time, we are not short-staffed, and that has helped to boost morale.
Other than the payscale, which I feel is the low end for myself being here 20 years and having almost a managerial position, $22.00 per hour is very low. I believe I should be at least $25.00 per hour.
A typical day working for WFG as a Regisrty Agent as follows, come in early to count cash and send off reports to the government before the doors open. Most mornings you will have someone waiting at the door. Banging on the door or pacing in front of the door. If it is winter , you’ll still see this. Doors open: you start to greet your clients and do a variety of paperwork. Theres enough paperwork to keep you busy through out your day. So if your not busy with clients you won’t get board. I find that nice! Sometimes you have calls to make on behalf of the clients and you can be waiting for hours. Depending who you need to call. The daily duties do vary. Some Registry Agents take on much more vs other agents. Where I am, I am fortunate to have a fair understanding of who does what and when it needs to be done by. As well shared duties. Having a good communication line is great! We have deadlines just like anyone else meeting deadlines. We check paperwork daily, weekly and monthly. We have inventory coming and going out. Your doing this in between clients, not a big deal. If it’s month end, well it can be challenging. Good agents will plan accordingly to get their work done to be available for the clients. Day ends, you count your cash print your reports and leave! Sometimes you’ll remember In the middle of the night if your missing a microfilm, what might have happened. Sometimes you’ll dream of numbers, or worry of clients who are facing hardships or exciting milestones! This is all part of the job! Working for WFG. This all depends on the office your in. The staff make - more...
WFG is a great place to get your start with insurance. Paid training makes up for the low wages if you're just starting out. .........................
A great place to work at... everyone is willing to help if you need help. Co workers are very friendly. Work place atmosphere is good. Pay and benefits is good.
I would always recommend Western Financial as a great place to work - and the insurance industry in general. For some reason there is always a demand for insurance agents and western financial is willing to train the right individuals from the very beginning stages or give opportunities to those in a more advanced level. Having worked for another broker prior to western financial, I can tell you that the starting wage here is fabulous. Sure it's not what I've always dreamed of doing but I don't have to get my hands dirty,I have a great salary and I can hang my coat up at the end of the day and spend time with my family. If you're looking for a career change that will support you financially, support your career growth and work life balance - make sure you apply. (PS the Sooke branch is the best!)
Great Company to work for, tons of support if you need it, I feel very valued as an employee! Great hours and benefits. I would recommend Western Financial in heart beat!
The part of my job I enjoy the most is working with the public and my clients. I love being able to help clients when they as for it. It can be a time crunch some times but that is OK. The management team in my office needs some work but it is not a nightmare. I have learned a lot about insurance and the benefits of it, That is what I like to share with my clients.