Western Financial Group

Western Financial Group Management reviews

Featured review
Western Financial Group selected this as a representative review
Great place to start a career in the insurance industry, trained and be licensed, then wait for an opportunity to move forward in your career. Set goals for yourself.
Not a company I would recommend working at, there is a lot of gossiping and backstabbing. I felt like I was back in high school. Management is awful they lie, make up things and walk around doing nothing and are never available when you ask for help.There is a very high turnover due to what is expected from you and constantly being micromanaged and treated like garbage.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
I was employed here as a director. Initially everything seemed fine. Actually it seemed more than fine, almost too good. Then i started noticing things. I started to notice what kind of people I was directly reporting to. Let me preface this by saying I left an extremely good position based off of false pretences and promises. I soon realized that what the 1400 or some odd employees out in the field saw was not necessarily the real story. They would be praised to their faces then laughed at and ridiculed behind their backs. A perfect example was a meeting I attended at the Saddledome with 2 execs. Completely shattered my image of this company. But, I suppose the lure of a very good salary is enough to make almost anyone willing to throw people under the bus for their own gain, not me. It is a very back stabbing and cut throat executive group there only looking out for a chosen few. I could go into detail but what’s the point, i’m in a better place now but boy did they screw me over at a very inconvenient time in my life.
Pros
worked from home
Cons
The entire executive
Started here right after college, have loved every day since joining. Management truly cares about you and your success on the job. The work environment is like no other, great people always looking out for each other. The one part I really love is the training they provide to you, as a sales rep. We went through a week long process learning the product inside and out. As well as practicing so that when you're fully licensed you are ready to go! You never have to hesitate to ask management a question, they are always there to help and their doors are always open. If you are seriously looking for a job with better than great pay and a great work environment with even better management go to Western Financial!
Pros
Pay, Work/Life Balance, Management, Team Building, Training
Cons
I really enjoy my job at Western Financial Group. My daily duties are interesting and fast paced. Western has given me so many opportunities to learn more and advance in my career. Benefits are great and management is amazing. My coworkers are like my second family and are always there if I need anything. Overall great place to work and a great team!
Pros
Benefits, Teamwork, Learning Opportunities
Ok pay. Excellent benefits. Position had far more expectations & demands than advertised. Mgmt tracks every single error, no matter how miniscule or& tracks every in/outbound email. Speed & accuracy are paramount. Being trained by a peer does not necessarily mean that you are given all the relevant information required. Gossip is rampant. Not necessarily the most supportive atmosphere for a newcomer.
Benefits
Cons
Attitude of "team members" to department newbies
It used to be a family like atmosphere in the office,until a new branch manager came in and stopped all of that. I would not reccomend working there to my worst enemy. It's a shame so many good workers quit because of inexperienced and rude management!!
Management in office and higher up, head office are horrible. The turn around in office is horrible, turn around in HR is just as bad. The pay is lower for what’s required. They push sales on you, in a quiet office. Poor management makes unhappy staff, hence high staff turn around. If you need a job, it’s a great starting point, but your gonna wanna move on to better.
Some great people work here. Unfortunately most of them are too afraid to speak up, to share ideas or concerns. This inhibits an environment where innovation and collaboration are part of the culture and people can safely feel heard and respected. Churn is high. Truthfulness, fairness, value and loyalty are professed not practiced. I witnessed numerous co-workers go from being strong, confident, capable and talented employees to stressed out shells of themselves who then ended up quietly being "packaged" out. Mental health is touted as important but show the slightest sign and out comes an envelope and an NDA. The hardest part of this job was working directly for a boss, not a leader. It felt like going backwards in time. When you have worked alongside some really great leaders before the contrast is glaringly apparent when you do not. The disconnect in the organization between the internal team and the sales team is a major obstacle over all and was challenging to navigate. In fairness I did work with some executives outside of my own team that did exemplify leadership that I was grateful to learn from. As is typical there are some really good apples in the bunch but there are a couple not so good ones spoiling it. In my tenure within this organization I accomplished some pretty great things unfortunately when it comes down to it, like many companies, you are just a number at the end of day.
They never pay their clients claims. Very stressful work environment due to complaints constantly. High roll lover of staff as upper management makes you micro manage every one. Complaints are not resolved and clients are stressed out due to it. Negative work environment no resolution to back feedback. Waste of time if you want a long term career
Your day generally starts off with getting into the office and instantly starting to get calls and answer email requests. This is absolutely fine if you are used to a fast-paced environment but there are so many people that are hired that got the job because of "general insurance level 1 or 2" license. Be prepared to have to do the job of at least two people with no increase in compensation. The turn over rate is ridiculous. In the time that I worked there, there were 12 people that came and left before I finally had enough. If you're a good worker there, expect to be ridden into the ground. Management care only for sales and little about their employees. This goes for any level of management that you may come in contact with. The pay structure is laughable. Starting out at other companies in the same city you can instantly be making what someone who was there for almost 3 years was. Seniority means nothing as well. There is little to no opportunity to move up unless someone who has been there for years leaves the company. Those that are in any position that is higher than an Insurance Advisor do not know the basics that those under them do. There were many times that I would be doing the job of those above me because they wouldn't or couldn't do it. Listen to your employees. It isn't always just petty issues. Something that seems small to management can be quite large to those that are under them. Working here ruined a career path for me that at first I enjoyed and now just am glad that I never had to deal with again.
Pros
Quarterly Bonuses
Cons
Weekend Work, Low Pay
I had an amazing team and management at Western financial group. I have gained great experience and knowledge being a broker. we worked as one western in Lloydminster and have achieved amazing results together. i have learned to prioritize my tasks and help clients while being positive throughout the day. The three years at Western has definitely prepared me for my future role as Insurance adviser.
Management ( team lead) does not have the proper training or people skills to manage a team. One set of rules for managers another set for employees. People being written up for invalid reasons. If you confront or voice your concerns they get their back up and defensive. They are not a fair work life balance. Management also talks about other staff to their co workers. Very very poor office moral. Current supervisor does not have training in all departments therefore it's very unfair that this person cannot assist all whom she oversees. They make u feel incompetent and second guess yourself all the time. It's really unfortunate as it use to be a great place to work. With current management it has unfortunately taken a toll for the worse.
Wages a joke, even after additional education no wage increase Upper management is only out to line their own pockets Front line workers expected to take on more and more duties without any wage increases Very unprofessional/harassing emails from management telling you that you are not working hard enough Expected to work extended hours without pay or time off in lieu Bonus' are rated on complete office performance rather than individual performance No opinions are wanted, shut up and work... Branch Managers change often....can't keep them...wonder why???
Pros
Caring Co Workers
Cons
Wages, Management
Training was below average. Backstabbing and under the bus instances. Staff that was in charge were unreliable. Quite possibly the sickest office ever. Management is green and needs training on how to manage and speak to staff. Sick days are good and benefits were okay, but lots of hoops to jump through. I was excited to start my brokerage career here. Change of management and everything went downhill. FAST. Don’t get me wrong. You can do worse. But if you start working for WFG be prepared for politics and high school antics. Be forewarned.
Pros
Sick days
Cons
Too many to list
This employer elected to publish survey results gathered via Indeed Insider. The survey results included this review. The employer has indicated that the reviewer was a current employee at the time this review was written.
Western Financial Group is a great place to work because the management is always helping to make sure you can improve and if you want move up within the company.
My typical day at work is to process payments for carrier and answer emails internally and externally. I have learned how insurance companies work which I am new to it. Management is good and very supportive. The best part of the job is that the company shows how they appreciate you like freebies.
Western is a great place to work. Pay/benefits aren't great but the work/life balance is great and there is a family atmosphere. Management/Execs are accessible and easy to talk to/ask questions. There are social events every week but the location of head office means there isn't a lot of opportunity to go out for lunch or coffee unless you want to drive, so most people eat lunch at their desk, which means it can be a little antisocial. The company has been and continues to be successful so it's rewarding to be a part of their growth.
A typical day is sufficiently varied to keep it interesting. Have expanded my skill horizon through new work assignments. Workplace culture is always slowly evolving and is challenged by constant employee turnover. Sensing the impact of staff shortages is the hardest part of the job. The best part is feeling my opinions are considered and valued.
I love working at Western Financial. This company lives and breathes their guiding principles which is a rarity. The Senior Management team is awesome. Really care about the employees and the future of the company. Teams are fun to work with we attract great people!!
If you want a place to work where your opinion is valued along with your contribution work here. Management is supportive and believe they hired a competent person so leave you to do your job, no micro managing here. Best part of the job is the people. Hardest part of the job is helping all employees deal with the changes that are happening in the company. Not easy for everyone to keep up.