Western Financial Group

Western Financial Group Job security & advancement reviews

Featured review
Western Financial Group selected this as a representative review
Great place to start a career in the insurance industry, trained and be licensed, then wait for an opportunity to move forward in your career. Set goals for yourself.
Western financial is definitely one of the best places I have worked. They care about their employees, they’re up to date, they care about their clients and it was just overall a very favourable work experience. Highly recommend.
Pros
Advancement, training, great coworkers
I was employed here as a director. Initially everything seemed fine. Actually it seemed more than fine, almost too good. Then i started noticing things. I started to notice what kind of people I was directly reporting to. Let me preface this by saying I left an extremely good position based off of false pretences and promises. I soon realized that what the 1400 or some odd employees out in the field saw was not necessarily the real story. They would be praised to their faces then laughed at and ridiculed behind their backs. A perfect example was a meeting I attended at the Saddledome with 2 execs. Completely shattered my image of this company. But, I suppose the lure of a very good salary is enough to make almost anyone willing to throw people under the bus for their own gain, not me. It is a very back stabbing and cut throat executive group there only looking out for a chosen few. I could go into detail but what’s the point, i’m in a better place now but boy did they screw me over at a very inconvenient time in my life.
Pros
worked from home
Cons
The entire executive
I really enjoy my job at Western Financial Group. My daily duties are interesting and fast paced. Western has given me so many opportunities to learn more and advance in my career. Benefits are great and management is amazing. My coworkers are like my second family and are always there if I need anything. Overall great place to work and a great team!
Pros
Benefits, Teamwork, Learning Opportunities
Accessible Execs Interesting projects Mostly good people Best if you live in the south end of the city because you can't work remotely Do not pay market rates for skilled workers Political at times No advancement opportunities in certain areas
Customer orientated. Look out for the customers best interest. Staff try and treat you like family. Great benefits in you are planning on making this a career
Company believes in growing from within,even has an in house training program to groom leaders. Company culture is very open and transparent from the top down.
This company does expect more from their employees than they can possibly do in a given work day and they keep putting on more. The benefit package is very good
They never pay their clients claims. Very stressful work environment due to complaints constantly. High roll lover of staff as upper management makes you micro manage every one. Complaints are not resolved and clients are stressed out due to it. Negative work environment no resolution to back feedback. Waste of time if you want a long term career
They provide a great training program and a lot of support throughout your education and licensing exams. It's a fast paced environment with a lot of room for growth.
Your day generally starts off with getting into the office and instantly starting to get calls and answer email requests. This is absolutely fine if you are used to a fast-paced environment but there are so many people that are hired that got the job because of "general insurance level 1 or 2" license. Be prepared to have to do the job of at least two people with no increase in compensation. The turn over rate is ridiculous. In the time that I worked there, there were 12 people that came and left before I finally had enough. If you're a good worker there, expect to be ridden into the ground. Management care only for sales and little about their employees. This goes for any level of management that you may come in contact with. The pay structure is laughable. Starting out at other companies in the same city you can instantly be making what someone who was there for almost 3 years was. Seniority means nothing as well. There is little to no opportunity to move up unless someone who has been there for years leaves the company. Those that are in any position that is higher than an Insurance Advisor do not know the basics that those under them do. There were many times that I would be doing the job of those above me because they wouldn't or couldn't do it. Listen to your employees. It isn't always just petty issues. Something that seems small to management can be quite large to those that are under them. Working here ruined a career path for me that at first I enjoyed and now just am glad that I never had to deal with again.
Pros
Quarterly Bonuses
Cons
Weekend Work, Low Pay
I spent 10 years working at Western Financial Group, however I had to relocate to an area that they don't service. What I discovered while looking for a new job is that WFG won't give references. Since that is the only place I've worked in the last decade I have no current references and it has proven impossible to find work. I have applied for hundreds of jobs with a pretty high response rate, but as soon as the companies find out I don't have any references I never hear from them again. I have been looking for work for over a year now. It's really unfortunate that WFG punishes it's long term employees this way, so unless you plan to work there for less than a year, or for life, don't bother.
Training was below average. Backstabbing and under the bus instances. Staff that was in charge were unreliable. Quite possibly the sickest office ever. Management is green and needs training on how to manage and speak to staff. Sick days are good and benefits were okay, but lots of hoops to jump through. I was excited to start my brokerage career here. Change of management and everything went downhill. FAST. Don’t get me wrong. You can do worse. But if you start working for WFG be prepared for politics and high school antics. Be forewarned.
Pros
Sick days
Cons
Too many to list
This employer elected to publish survey results gathered via Indeed Insider. The survey results included this review. The employer has indicated that the reviewer was a current employee at the time this review was written.
I really enjoy working for Western Financial Group. Lots of training provided and lots of support within the company. I would recommend this company if you are looking to get into the Insurance Industry.
If you are interested in building a career, Western is a great place to do so. Opportunities are there is you work hard to know your role and advance your knowledge.
The work I do is challenging and we are consistently under staffed. However this s young company and the IT department is beginning to mature. I have confidence that our feedback will result in better and better wages, benefits and work life balance.
Western Financial is a nice company that focuses out of its way to treat people like a family. The culture is nice with lots of internal promotions. Thanks
I have worked for Western Financial Group for over 9 years. I have been given many opportunities to grow my knowledge and skills. I enjoy the people and culture within the office.
I have been with Western for a while now and I have a very mixed view of the company. We parade our principles of truthfulness, fairness, loyalty and value, but I've seen multiple times where the corporation takes over and those principles are completely ignored. I've seen gross unfairness leveled at employees, I've seen favoritism get people jobs, I've seen employees serious complaints ignored. I've seen loyal employees pushed out and destructive ones kept on or rehired. Some people feel they have no advancement options. I've also seen employees be really happy, have fun, most days are normal, easy and stress free. It depends on what area you work in. Some managers are smart, intelligent and treat their employees well and you can tell by how long their employees stay for. There are people here I truly enjoy working with. I don't think some of these positive and negative aspects are unique to this company. There are reasons I like working here. The work life balance, the people I get to work with, benefits, relatively easy job, reward of a job well done, recognition and community giving. I just struggle some days with the few examples I've seen that are the exact opposite of the principles the company likes to preach.
My days fly by, we are busy and the business keeps changing, it makes my role at Western very interesting. I have been with Western for over 5 years, and I have learned a lot, personally and professionally. My team members truly care about one another, and about the value we can bring our customers. The hardest part of the job is when not everyone in the company are on the same page. We are growing, so there are growing pains. But I also think that working through these growing pains together is what makes Western such a great place to work.
Western provides individuals the opportunity to learn and grow in a industry that will always have a future. It makes a effort to keep employees engaged and provides a very good work life balance. It can be incredibly busy at times but that helps the days go faster. It rewards initiative and creativity.