Western Financial Group

Western Financial Group Employee Reviews in High River, AB

Accessible Execs Interesting projects Mostly good people Best if you live in the south end of the city because you can't work remotely Do not pay market rates for skilled workers Political at times No advancement opportunities in certain areas
My experience as a Western employee has been great. I really enjoy my employee - supervisor relation and feel respected but also challenged. Frequent meetings and interaction with other employees has really helped me to develop in my current role. I have felt that Western understands and invests in their Teams to ensure they are set up for not only short term but long term as well.
Some great people work here. Unfortunately most of them are too afraid to speak up, to share ideas or concerns. This inhibits an environment where innovation and collaboration are part of the culture and people can safely feel heard and respected. Churn is high. Truthfulness, fairness, value and loyalty are professed not practiced. I witnessed numerous co-workers go from being strong, confident, capable and talented employees to stressed out shells of themselves who then ended up quietly being "packaged" out. Mental health is touted as important but show the slightest sign and out comes an envelope and an NDA. The hardest part of this job was working directly for a boss, not a leader. It felt like going backwards in time. When you have worked alongside some really great leaders before the contrast is glaringly apparent when you do not. The disconnect in the organization between the internal team and the sales team is a major obstacle over all and was challenging to navigate. In fairness I did work with some executives outside of my own team that did exemplify leadership that I was grateful to learn from. As is typical there are some really good apples in the bunch but there are a couple not so good ones spoiling it. In my tenure within this organization I accomplished some pretty great things unfortunately when it comes down to it, like many companies, you are just a number at the end of day.
As per Resume. It has been great 5 years working with Western Financial Group. I have set up the Internal Audit and Risk function. The senior leadership team has been great and very supportive.
The position is full-time and requires me to provide nation wide technical support for Western Financial employees inside the company through telephone and email. The workload can be stressful and lead one to feel burned out after an extended amount of time.
Pros
Great work/ life balance
Cons
High stress
This employer elected to publish survey results gathered via Indeed Insider. The survey results included this review. The employer has indicated that the reviewer was a current employee at the time this review was written.
The best part of working for Western is the great people we work with. We have great structured procedures, while still making me feel valued as an individual. Western makes me feel like my opinions matter and is always encouraging new and innovative ideas.
Western is a great place to work. The company cares about the employees and does its best to ensure a fair and open work environment. I'd recommend this company to anyone.
I love working at a corporate head office in a small town. I live in the same small town. I love the short commute and the opportunity to balance my family life.
I enjoy working for a company that is very community minded, and Western definitely is! My manger and co-workers are great team players and make coming to work everyday enjoyable
My typical day at work is to process payments for carrier and answer emails internally and externally. I have learned how insurance companies work which I am new to it. Management is good and very supportive. The best part of the job is that the company shows how they appreciate you like freebies.
I've worked in many different roles, for many different companies, and Western Financial Group is the only that has ever made me feel welcome. I felt like I was part of the team immediately, and was greeted with helpful responses whenever I needed assistance
The work I do is challenging and we are consistently under staffed. However this s young company and the IT department is beginning to mature. I have confidence that our feedback will result in better and better wages, benefits and work life balance.
Western Financial is a nice company that focuses out of its way to treat people like a family. The culture is nice with lots of internal promotions. Thanks
I have worked for Western Financial Group for over 9 years. I have been given many opportunities to grow my knowledge and skills. I enjoy the people and culture within the office.
Western is a great place to work. Pay/benefits aren't great but the work/life balance is great and there is a family atmosphere. Management/Execs are accessible and easy to talk to/ask questions. There are social events every week but the location of head office means there isn't a lot of opportunity to go out for lunch or coffee unless you want to drive, so most people eat lunch at their desk, which means it can be a little antisocial. The company has been and continues to be successful so it's rewarding to be a part of their growth.
Western is a great place to work, the staff are friendly and helpful. I would recommend Western, if anyone was looking to enter the insurance industry
I have been with Western for a while now and I have a very mixed view of the company. We parade our principles of truthfulness, fairness, loyalty and value, but I've seen multiple times where the corporation takes over and those principles are completely ignored. I've seen gross unfairness leveled at employees, I've seen favoritism get people jobs, I've seen employees serious complaints ignored. I've seen loyal employees pushed out and destructive ones kept on or rehired. Some people feel they have no advancement options. I've also seen employees be really happy, have fun, most days are normal, easy and stress free. It depends on what area you work in. Some managers are smart, intelligent and treat their employees well and you can tell by how long their employees stay for. There are people here I truly enjoy working with. I don't think some of these positive and negative aspects are unique to this company. There are reasons I like working here. The work life balance, the people I get to work with, benefits, relatively easy job, reward of a job well done, recognition and community giving. I just struggle some days with the few examples I've seen that are the exact opposite of the principles the company likes to preach.
Coming to a place of work where your entire team works hard and enjoys themselves is extremely rewarding. The location here is less time then it took me to get to DT Calgary and I never get stuck in traffic, I'm door to door 30 minutes from Acadia. Our marketing team here is awesome and so are all the lovely people we get to work with across 180 branches. There's also much room to grow and tons of learning opportunities!
A typical day is sufficiently varied to keep it interesting. Have expanded my skill horizon through new work assignments. Workplace culture is always slowly evolving and is challenged by constant employee turnover. Sensing the impact of staff shortages is the hardest part of the job. The best part is feeling my opinions are considered and valued.
Western Financial Group is an amazing company! There are many high tenure employees across all our Branches and Head Office. Western works hard at growing their culture, is very understanding, listens, learns, and implements best practices through many feedback touchpoints.
Western provides individuals the opportunity to learn and grow in a industry that will always have a future. It makes a effort to keep employees engaged and provides a very good work life balance. It can be incredibly busy at times but that helps the days go faster. It rewards initiative and creativity.