Western Financial Group
Western Financial Group Employee Review

Room for improvement and don't get sick.

7 November 2019
Some great people work here. Unfortunately most of them are too afraid to speak up, to share ideas or concerns. This inhibits an environment where innovation and collaboration are part of the culture and people can safely feel heard and respected. Churn is high. Truthfulness, fairness, value and loyalty are professed not practiced. I witnessed numerous co-workers go from being strong, confident, capable and talented employees to stressed out shells of themselves who then ended up quietly being "packaged" out. Mental health is touted as important but show the slightest sign and out comes an envelope and an NDA. The hardest part of this job was working directly for a boss, not a leader. It felt like going backwards in time. When you have worked alongside some really great leaders before the contrast is glaringly apparent when you do not. The disconnect in the organization between the internal team and the sales team is a major obstacle over all and was challenging to navigate. In fairness I did work with some executives outside of my own team that did exemplify leadership that I was grateful to learn from. As is typical there are some really good apples in the bunch but there are a couple not so good ones spoiling it. In my tenure within this organization I accomplished some pretty great things unfortunately when it comes down to it, like many companies, you are just a number at the end of day.
1.0Job security/advancement
20 April 2020
Program Manager- Integrations (Former Employee) - High River, AB
Accessible Execs Interesting projects Mostly good people Best if you live in the south end of the city because you can't work remotely Do not pay market rates for skilled workers Political at times No advancement opportunities in certain areas
16 April 2020
Creative Lead (Current Employee) - High River, AB
My experience as a Western employee has been great. I really enjoy my employee - supervisor relation and feel respected but also challenged. Frequent meetings and interaction with other employees has really helped me to develop in my current role. I have felt that Western understands and invests in their Teams to ensure they are set up for not only short term but long term as well.
30 July 2019
Same location
Director Internal Audit/Chief of Internal Audit (Former Employee) - High River, AB
As per Resume. It has been great 5 years working with Western Financial Group. I have set up the Internal Audit and Risk function. The senior leadership team has been great and very supportive.
  1. Room for improvement and don't get sick.