Western Financial Group

Western Financial Group Employee Reviews

Canada327 reviews

Featured review

Western Financial Group selected this as a representative review
Great place to start a career in the insurance industry, trained and be licensed, then wait for an opportunity to move forward in your career. Set goals for yourself.

Stressful environment with lots of drama

This is a stressful environment. Lots of employees quit and always severe understaffed. Lots of times only 2 people are working in the whole office. No one to ask for help. No one to train you if you don't know what to do. Clients angry and yelling all the time. Lots of drama with the girls at the office. Hard to come to work everyday. Currently no manager, so maybe that would change things.

Pros

Best paying brokerage

Cons

Toxic and demanding environment

Insights into Western Financial Group

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

Good place to start in insurance!

Great place to start. Annual reviews. Training. Internal postings to move departments. Great benefits. Micromanaging by upper managers can happen. Things are always changing.

Pros

Paid Training

Cons

No significant raises upon review

Not worth it

Low pay for the amount of work that you do. The work piles up and you can never actually catch up. Almost no support from management and people are constantly going on leave and their work just gets divided among the remaining employees. They also never hire anyone new to help with the workload

Good Place to Learn and Grow

Great place to get your foot in the door. Poorly managed lately which creates a lot of uncertainty and lack of job security. A lot of work is piled on without a lot of support.

Fun workplace

Nice place to work with great staff. Really enjoyed the team building experiences. The managers are always willing to help you succeed. They also have fun lunch days etc.

Too many layers of management

Too many managers, most of which are incompetent. Terrible salaries although they’ll try to brainwash you into thinking that it’s good and that your benefits will make up for lack of pay. The technology is terrible and they don’t have anyone who knows how to use their system to its full potential. Fine entry level job, but that’s about it.

Unorganized

They dropped the ball on training in the amount of time required to complete, got thrown into positions that was not hired for, promises from management was not kept and further chaos in poor management made 7 employees leave in less than a year. All on top of a hiring freeze short staffed constantly because of management treating employees poorly.

Stressful

Company does not pay well. Too many people leaving, the leaders never help they just like more and more jobs on advisors. Company is great to work of you never want time off.Always feel like your never caught up.

Cons

Always ton of work to do and no overtime

Fast paced work environment, They kill you with too many meetings, big on collaboration but nothing to show for, Micromanaged to death.

Stay away!Management is toxic and lack empathy, employees with long tenure are rude and have a sense of entitlement. They don’t offer proper training and you are expected to know everything within your first month, as though they are setting you up for failure. They are big on being ONE TEAM, yet managers do not practice what the higher ups preach. All smoke screen!

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Toxic work environment, People who have been with the organization have a sense of entitlement, are very condescending towards the newbies, They encourage you to ask questions but beat up on you for asking the wrong questions

Truly toxic company. Hard to find anything positive in it.

It is truly a toxic company with deteriorating work environment virtually in every office of it. Most of the management is totally out of touch with reality and it seems that people will keep leaving it droves.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

Positive and encouraging work environment.

Great team full of leadership, community involvement and laughter. Always helping you grow as a person and in your career. Great communication through all levels and areas of Western Financial.

Teribble company to work for

Don't work for Western. You will hate yourself for it. Pay is below standard, management is incompetent and nothing you will do is ever good enough. You will get thrown under the bus by people who are supposed to support you.

Pros

Absolutely nothing

Managers are TOXIC

The managers act like children, always bickering and trying to get each other fired! Horrible horrible experience, save yourself a hassle and never apply!

One of the best places I have worked

Western financial is definitely one of the best places I have worked. They care about their employees, they’re up to date, they care about their clients and it was just overall a very favourable work experience. Highly recommend.

Pros

Advancement, training, great coworkers

Terrible workplace

Not a company I would recommend working at, there is a lot of gossiping and backstabbing. I felt like I was back in high school. Management is awful they lie, make up things and walk around doing nothing and are never available when you ask for help.There is a very high turnover due to what is expected from you and constantly being micromanaged and treated like garbage.

Pros

Cons

Bad management

You cannot judge a book by its cover!

I was employed here as a director. Initially everything seemed fine. Actually it seemed more than fine, almost too good. Then i started noticing things. I started to notice what kind of people I was directly reporting to. Let me preface this by saying I left an extremely good position based off of false pretences and promises. I soon realized that what the 1400 or some odd employees out in the field saw was not necessarily the real story. They would be praised to their faces then laughed at and ridiculed behind their backs. A perfect example was a meeting I attended at the Saddledome with 2 execs. Completely shattered my image of this company. But, I suppose the lure of a very good salary is enough to make almost anyone willing to throw people under the bus for their own gain, not me. It is a very back stabbing and cut throat executive group there only looking out for a chosen few. I could go into detail but what’s the point, i’m in a better place now but boy did they screw me over at a very inconvenient time in my life.

Pros

worked from home

Cons

The entire executive

Great Place To Work, Filled With Endless Opportunities!

Started here right after college, have loved every day since joining. Management truly cares about you and your success on the job. The work environment is like no other, great people always looking out for each other. The one part I really love is the training they provide to you, as a sales rep. We went through a week long process learning the product inside and out. As well as practicing so that when you're fully licensed you are ready to go! You never have to hesitate to ask management a question, they are always there to help and their doors are always open. If you are seriously looking for a job with better than great pay and a great work environment with even better management go to Western Financial!

Pros

Pay, Work/Life Balance, Management, Team Building, Training

Great Place to Work

I really enjoy my job at Western Financial Group. My daily duties are interesting and fast paced. Western has given me so many opportunities to learn more and advance in my career. Benefits are great and management is amazing. My coworkers are like my second family and are always there if I need anything. Overall great place to work and a great team!

Pros

Benefits, Teamwork, Learning Opportunities

Good place for experience but not long term

Accessible Execs Interesting projects Mostly good people Best if you live in the south end of the city because you can't work remotely Do not pay market rates for skilled workers Political at times No advancement opportunities in certain areas

Great Leadership , amazing team atmosphere

My experience as a Western employee has been great. I really enjoy my employee - supervisor relation and feel respected but also challenged. Frequent meetings and interaction with other employees has really helped me to develop in my current role. I have felt that Western understands and invests in their Teams to ensure they are set up for not only short term but long term as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement