Western Financial Group Employee Reviews

Productive and by-the-book.
Adminstrative Associate (Current Employee) –  High River, AB13 August 2018
I took a position at the head office more than a month ago. I am very happy with my entire working experience.
I feel management cares about my team and we're given whatever resource we need to support our brokers in the branches.
My favorite part of the job is getting to help our people in different towns across Canada. Everyone's needs are just a bit different depending on where they are. It's fascinating to learn all these differences, and fulfilling to provide custom solutions that work for these areas.
The hardest part of the job is remembering who does what. There are so many people and departments, and if you're new, that can be difficult to navigate when you need help.
I think the workplace culture is very positive. Expectations are well laid out and available for one's reference. I am already looking forward to advancement in the company.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Heavy workload
Terrible management and no work life balance
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 August 2018
Completely overloaded with work. All shifts are split shifts, 6 day weeks, and often times open to close shifts with no extra pay or time in lieu.

Very bias to employees who are friends with management.

Extemely small annual raises (average is about 10 cents) and zero work life balance.

Manager does not assist even with line up's out the door and only one or two people working without taking breaks.

Very high turnover rate.
Pros
Decent wages
Cons
No work life balance, small raises, unfairness and bias
Very productive
Insurance Advisor-Level (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB29 July 2018
fun and enjoyable atmosphere within branch
received training and level 2 insurance advisor
can be very stressful
Best part is the people I get to work with on a daily basis
Pros
offering people best product at lowest rates
Cons
stressful at times
very production and fun play to work
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Lake Country, BC24 July 2018
start of day, answer messages on phone and email. greet customer with a smile. Learned is always new and fun, learning how to use their phone lines and email. i found that management was good she was new to the job when i started. everyone and the client knew each other and had a great relationship. the hardest part of the job would be
Especially in this day and age.
Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Manitoba3 July 2018
I find it almost obscene how much disconnect there is between the front line staff and the so called regional managers. They blatant lack of respect for people and their personal life is astounding! I mean I don't expect to be coddled, I will work hard but in return you need to respect the people in the trenches making this company function. I have never been so disenchanted with a company after listening to a conversation between a head office director and my manager, so artificial and uncaring. I'm currently looking for alternative employment.
Pros
Markets at your disposal
Cons
Anxiety and no job security.
Stay away from head office and anything related to it.
Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Canada1 July 2018
A typical corporate culture, promise you the world as long as you tow the company line. Personalities in High River lead you to believe they are behind making things better and they are as long as it's the bottom line and it's their plan. Questioning things you might need clarification on is frowned upon and unless you "join the club" you will be deemed "not a good fit". The arrogance and undeniable lack of compassion for employees struggling but trying their best was almost impossible to be around at times. I found it disturbing how people can go through life being morally compromised and think everything is okay. I'd like to know what the founder of WFG would think if he knew what was going on.
Pros
experience gained
Cons
everything else
Awful Management
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 June 2018
Started working as an Insurance advisor at the call centre. Complete waste of time. They are not interested in seeing you succeed and management is run like a high school. Avoid working here
Pros
1 hour lunches
Cons
Expectations for new employees
Commercial Sales Rep
Commercial Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 June 2018
Typical day looks like making 80-100 cold calls a day working from 8am-6pm. Your daily plan is trying to get 3 to 5 business owners interested in doing business with you.

Can make very good money in this role but most sales representatives usually transfer into other roles, other departments, or leave the company entirely with a max of 3 years in the role as the job is very taxing as you constantly are pressured into hitting an unrealistic quota each month.

There is also pay inequity as they implemented a training program wage of $27,000 but when they hired new sales representatives they were brought on for $37,000 without increasing the pay for existing sales staff for the same experience, and same role.
Pros
Can make lots of money
Cons
High pressure sales, no security
Fair and honest
Analyst (Former Employee) –  High River, AB8 May 2018
Normal work day as expected. People are dedicated. Company is situated in High River, which is a short distance away from Calgary. Has a warm and welcoming small town feel, but they have achieved a much wider footprint across Alberta and BC.
Pros
Good Company culture
Cons
Long commute from Calgary
Great flexiblity! but can be mentally exhausting
Central Processing Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 May 2018
This job is great for someone who is okay with working from home and no social expectations, as for an extrovert it's not a great position. You get to choose your own hours, however, it's like working at an office setting with the rules, but at home with no supervision. Management is fantastic and the pay is great with a yearly bonus, and potential for raises or promotions. This company really cares for their staff!
Pros
Work from home, own set hours, salary, paid holidays/sick/personal days, yearly bonus/raises
Cons
lonely, high expectations, rotational Christmas holidays
Good
STAFF ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 April 2018
I enjoyed a really good work life balance while working at Western Financial Group.
Management was really good.
The culture was very good.
I really enjoyed working with my co-workers.
Excellent organization to work for
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 March 2018
Management has become much better over the years, they truly care about their employees. The company has a fantastic onboarding/training process, and provides many opportunities to advance from within.
Pros
Great work-life balance, plenty of time off
Cons
Overall compensation is good but not great
Drama.
Customer Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC21 December 2017
The office I was trained in had a completely different dynamic and atmosphere than the one I was hired to work in.
The office I was hired to work in was amazing. Everyone knew and did all of the jobs that needed to be done on a daily basis; everyone was supportive; and no drama.
The office I was trained in on the other hand...cell phone use while at work is unacceptable, and personal/professional drama while at work is unacceptable and extremely inappropriate!
Productive and team company
Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nanton, AB20 November 2017
Western Financial is a wonderful company to work for. They have the employees best interest at heart and try to help them out in all aspects of the job.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor acknowledgment
Would never recommend them as an employer.
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Alberta25 October 2017
Typical arrogant corporate culture. Immensely top-heavy company with very little regard for front-line staff. Definitely not following their own guiding principles. Don't care about clients or front-line staff. Lower than average pay in industry. Expect staff to train themselves. Lots of talk and no action. Management expects "yes" people, not staff that have brains of their own.
Basically just don't care about their "people" outside of the head office.
Pros
benefit plan
Cons
everything else
Productive and great learning experience
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  High River, AB3 September 2017
Performed a wide variety of administrative tasks including the maintenance of records. Provide administrative assistance and coordination on a variety of projects and various project teams. Authorized and managed all mobility devices (267 devices).
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Do not work for this company
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB28 August 2017
I think they must have taken my review down so I will post it again.

I agree with all the negative points made before. There is no real leadership and they purposely under-staff and force you to work overtime without compensation to save the company money.

I also agree with the catty coworkers. Instead of telling me how things were done, being I had come from a direct writer and a brokerage is totally different, they just kept telling me to work faster and started complaining to my manager behind my back, when I had barely even finished training!

I also agree my complaints fall on deaf ears, and I had spoken to coworkers, my TL and my branch manager. Then it was decided that us new employees would get some training, but my assigned trainer blew me off. On top of this I was told to take a client while still on my lunch break after making it very clear I was not back from lunch yet!

No where in the interview or the job ad did it say working on personal time with no pay was a requirement, but that appears to be the only way anyone could keep up with the workload. They'd come in early, stay late, work through lunch and come in on days off! If they would all stop enabling head office to get away with this then maybe they would hire enough staff.

I went home in tears day after day and I am not one to do this kind of thing. I had to leave for my own mental well being, without having had a change to find other work first. This is absolutely the worst job I have ever had.
good training program and great people
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 August 2017
A great place to start a career in the insurance industry.
Good management with good culture in a Busy office. The people in the office were great to work with willing to support the team.
Dynamic Work Environment
Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  Coronation, AB16 July 2017
As a broker, one can expect to maintain an existing book of business by providing a combination of excellent advice and customer service to clients, while striving to expand the book of business through referrals and cold calls.
Pros
Dynamic Industry
Cons
Pressure to Up-Sell Clients
Better look for a job elsewhere
Marketing & Sales (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 July 2017
This company is NOT heading in the right direction. People turnover is just too much, no stability and hard to say what's going to happen tomorrow.

Salary wasn't that good and benefits are average at best. People are nice to work with, but management doesn't seem to know what they are doing. No plan.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, great lunch room
Cons
No direction, no stability, people turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7