Western Financial Group Employee Reviews

Plan to work here forever or not at all
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  BC13 May 2019
I spent 10 years working at Western Financial Group, however I had to relocate to an area that they don't service. What I discovered while looking for a new job is that WFG won't give references. Since that is the only place I've worked in the last decade I have no current references and it has proven impossible to find work. I have applied for hundreds of jobs with a pretty high response rate, but as soon as the companies find out I don't have any references I never hear from them again. I have been looking for work for over a year now. It's really unfortunate that WFG punishes it's long term employees this way, so unless you plan to work there for less than a year, or for life, don't bother.
If you need a job... it’s okay. You can do better tho
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan30 April 2019
Training was below average.
Backstabbing and under the bus instances.
Staff that was in charge were unreliable.
Quite possibly the sickest office ever.
Management is green and needs training on how to manage and speak to staff.
Sick days are good and benefits were okay, but lots of hoops to jump through.
I was excited to start my brokerage career here. Change of management and everything went downhill. FAST.

Don’t get me wrong. You can do worse. But if you start working for WFG be prepared for politics and high school antics. Be forewarned.
Pros
Sick days
Cons
Too many to list
Very stressful organization
Licensed Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB5 March 2019
My responsibilities included selling and servicing new and existing clients.

Hardest part of job was the management. Most enjoyable was leaving at the end of the day.
Pros
Cons
Very poor management
You can do better
Marketing (Former Employee) –  High River, AB5 March 2019
The work will be demotivating. The commute will murder your soul. The upper management decisions will become comical. It's truly baffling how this company stays afloat. If you're looking for a great opportunity to progress your career, look elsewhere.
Not focused on employee retention
Insurance Agent / Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB26 February 2019
Western Financial Group is a good company to start at. But you have to be willing to give your time for free without getting any in return. Expected to arrive and work early and stay late without pay. Numerous weekends and late shifts. Very poor employee retention.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Numerous weekends and late shifts
Supportive Company with Room to Grow
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB22 February 2019
I appreciate the job I have and the staff I work with. Everyone that is lucky enough to stay on with Western has support from the bottom up. The front line staff and management team are made up of some of the most dedicated people I’ve ever met. The only thing that sometimes gets stressful is having the wrong employee in the office - someone who causes drama and negativity. That sometimes takes longer than it should to rectify. Otherwise, I love all of the challenging, interesting aspects of the job. There’s so much to learn, it’s impossible to master everything so it keeps you on your toes!
Pros
Paid Training, Staff Lunches and Events, Interesting work, supportive staff, team environment
Cons
Often working short handed while waiting for a that one amazing applicant!
Love working at WFG
Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Northern Alberta20 February 2019
Working at Western Financial Group is excellent. Such good work environment and such great staff. I also really love the management and they appreciate us and show us there appreciation in many ways.
Pros
Pay, benefits, work environment
Cons
Not a whole lot
Great Place to Work
Team Lead/Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Saskatchewan19 February 2019
Good salary/benefits
Good employees to work with
Good life/work activities
Room to grow
not a lot of room for financial growth
Lack of management
Worry too much on revenue
No direction
If you want to keep your sanity don't work here
front line staff (Former Employee) –  Alberta1 February 2019
A typical day starts with a brief meeting on how the branch is doing, meanwhile staff are feeling like they are overworked before the day even begins. Each one dreads the phone ringing
I learned a lot about insurance, and a lot about how not to treat your staff.
Branch management used to be good, up from that the management is dire. They really don't care about their staff.
Hardest part of the job is coming to work each day, the most enjoyable part is going home
Wish I could give it a 0 rating on everything except the benefits. Pay is terrible and new employees don't get the same benefit package.
Pros
3 weeks paid vacation
Cons
poor upper management, poor pay, overload of work
Interesting work, variety of projects, growth opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  High River, AB25 January 2019
The best part of the project management job with Western is the variety of projects one could handle: from business, IT, digital, construction you can experience all areas and develop a good quality portfolio. This offers great learning and career advancement opportunities. A great team of people within and outside of the Project Management Office, very engaged and personally committed to quality work.
The executive team is ambitious, empowering and committed to supporting teams to succeed.
Pros
Interesting work, variety of projects
Cons
Location south of the city of Calgary
Won't be working for WFG anytime soon!
Personal Lines Broker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 January 2019
I'm an experience broker looking to change companies but after reading these reviews I won't be applying to WFG. Wake up management and make some positive changes. Appreciate your staff, hire more people so no one has to work overtime, give proper training! You are only as good as your people and if you can't keep or attract good people you will soon not be in business.
Empowering work environment and opportunities to learn
Business Strategist (Current Employee) –  High River22 January 2019
Strong client focussed approach and management is focused on permeating this through the entire organization.

There are multiple projects on the go which presents unique challenges but also opportunities to learn, collaborate and contribute in a meaningful manner. Given the pace of change across the insurance sector, it is imperative to constantly innovate and be open to shifting gears, when required. This makes for an enriching experience - both personally and professionally.

The company has a strong appetite for growth and this brings opportunities for career growth & personal progression.
Pros
Empowering work environment, supportive colleagues, growth ambition
Cons
Commute from city
Wrong fit
External Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB28 November 2018
This position was simply the wrong fit, for a hunter. It was too closely tied to the office, with the focus on current clients. It did not offer enough time to grow the business.
Horrible, horrible place to work
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 November 2018
Management is horrendous. Extremely green to the position, so apparently needed to prove her worth. The micro-managing was exhausting and the "alternate facts" coming from management kept me on my toes. Absolutely NO training or guidance until complaints received THEN training was somewhat (is 2 minutes considered training?) provided. No direction, extremely passive aggressive management, no training. You wouldn't even know management was in the office unless you did or said something wrong. Management was quite content to sit and hide in private office and wouldn't consider helping out due to staff shortages. The hardest part of my day was showing up, and the most enjoyable part of the day was leaving.

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND.
Pros
Leaving at 5
Cons
Everything else
Poor Management & High Turnover
Insurance A (Current Employee) –  British Columbia14 November 2018
Nearly all branches are short staffed putting added stress onto agents. Poor management at all levels. Little to no support from upper management whatsoever. The same poor cycle continues without any changes implemented to prevent the same issues from reoccurring.

Issue with staffing results in inability to perform at efficient level and impacts customer service. This leads to MANY unhappy customers and high number of employees who end up on stress leave.

Company is extremely numbers driven - which may not be an issue if offices were staffed properly. Difficult to achieve or surpass expectations when you are completing the duties of 2-3 agents with no compensation.
Cons
Always short staffed, Poor management, Stressful environment
Official response from Western Financial Group
20 November 2018

We appreciate your comments and want to action your feedback appropriately. Please reach out to your manager directly or regional director, so, the challenges may be addressed. Thank you for your feedback.

Industry Leader - Great brokerage to work for
Branch Employee (Current Employee) –  British Columbia2 November 2018
As a long-term employee I am proud to work for Western Financial Group.

This is an insurance brokerage who truly cares about their employees and their clients. I've seen it over an over again trying to find fair solutions for clients and giving employees a chance to succeed in their role or trying to find the right match for their skills.

For those with the skills, right attitude and the personal drive there is plenty of upward mobility in the company.

Be prepared for continual change as this company does not stand for the status quo. They are always looking for ways to be better and you need to be able to adapt quickly.

There is lots of support and development opportunities available. Some is spoon fed , but ideally you need to be a self starter and take ownership of your own development with the tools provided.
Pros
good pay and benefits - education and career development - opportunity for growth and promotion
Cons
continual push for growth - inflexibility typical with a larger company - pace of change
Loved the people
Broker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 October 2018
I loved the people I worked with at our office. Like any office there is over sensitive, lazy and underproductive people. Found that they were often coddled under old management but new management did deal with under performers. The culture is fun and if you are willing to work hard there is plenty of room for advancement. Wages are medium in industry at best but holidays and benefits are decent. Due to understaffing work/life balance can be a struggle. If Western were to change the pay structure and give bonuses more on individual performance and weed out the underperformers it could be a great company.
Pros
Holiday, Benefits, Rrsp, Culture
Cons
Bonus struture, staffing issues
Official response from Western Financial Group
5 November 2018

We appreciate you for taking the team to review Western Financial Group.

fun place to work
Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  AB15 October 2018
The people are great and very friendly, very good teamwork. The benefits and pay are worth your hard work. Best to keep to yourself and then you'll never have any problems.
Pros
like a family orientated place
Cons
lack of compassion from management
Poorly managed company all around.
INSURANCE ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB13 October 2018
Most branches are very understaffed and little to no training is provided for new and/or inexperienced employees. Existing problems are expected to be "put off" until "later" but later never comes!
Cons
Little to no training
Dark ages old boys club
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB10 October 2018
I wouldn't go back for a kidney if I needed one and the only way I could get it is if I worked there again!
New manager in office just prior to me leaving was actually great, but hand tied by top heavy corporate office.
HUGE pay discrepancy between men and women working there, not to mention they pay lower than industry standards.
Pros
Community involvement
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7