Western Financial Group

Western Financial Group Employee Reviews

Featured review
Western Financial Group selected this as a representative review
Great place to start a career in the insurance industry, trained and be licensed, then wait for an opportunity to move forward in your career. Set goals for yourself.
Western financial is definitely one of the best places I have worked. They care about their employees, they’re up to date, they care about their clients and it was just overall a very favourable work experience. Highly recommend.
Pros
Advancement, training, great coworkers
Not a company I would recommend working at, there is a lot of gossiping and backstabbing. I felt like I was back in high school. Management is awful they lie, make up things and walk around doing nothing and are never available when you ask for help.There is a very high turnover due to what is expected from you and constantly being micromanaged and treated like garbage.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
I was employed here as a director. Initially everything seemed fine. Actually it seemed more than fine, almost too good. Then i started noticing things. I started to notice what kind of people I was directly reporting to. Let me preface this by saying I left an extremely good position based off of false pretences and promises. I soon realized that what the 1400 or some odd employees out in the field saw was not necessarily the real story. They would be praised to their faces then laughed at and ridiculed behind their backs. A perfect example was a meeting I attended at the Saddledome with 2 execs. Completely shattered my image of this company. But, I suppose the lure of a very good salary is enough to make almost anyone willing to throw people under the bus for their own gain, not me. It is a very back stabbing and cut throat executive group there only looking out for a chosen few. I could go into detail but what’s the point, i’m in a better place now but boy did they screw me over at a very inconvenient time in my life.
Pros
worked from home
Cons
The entire executive
Started here right after college, have loved every day since joining. Management truly cares about you and your success on the job. The work environment is like no other, great people always looking out for each other. The one part I really love is the training they provide to you, as a sales rep. We went through a week long process learning the product inside and out. As well as practicing so that when you're fully licensed you are ready to go! You never have to hesitate to ask management a question, they are always there to help and their doors are always open. If you are seriously looking for a job with better than great pay and a great work environment with even better management go to Western Financial!
Pros
Pay, Work/Life Balance, Management, Team Building, Training
Cons
I really enjoy my job at Western Financial Group. My daily duties are interesting and fast paced. Western has given me so many opportunities to learn more and advance in my career. Benefits are great and management is amazing. My coworkers are like my second family and are always there if I need anything. Overall great place to work and a great team!
Pros
Benefits, Teamwork, Learning Opportunities
Accessible Execs Interesting projects Mostly good people Best if you live in the south end of the city because you can't work remotely Do not pay market rates for skilled workers Political at times No advancement opportunities in certain areas
My experience as a Western employee has been great. I really enjoy my employee - supervisor relation and feel respected but also challenged. Frequent meetings and interaction with other employees has really helped me to develop in my current role. I have felt that Western understands and invests in their Teams to ensure they are set up for not only short term but long term as well.
Ok pay. Excellent benefits. Position had far more expectations & demands than advertised. Mgmt tracks every single error, no matter how miniscule or& tracks every in/outbound email. Speed & accuracy are paramount. Being trained by a peer does not necessarily mean that you are given all the relevant information required. Gossip is rampant. Not necessarily the most supportive atmosphere for a newcomer.
Benefits
Cons
Attitude of "team members" to department newbies
You would assist your book of clients that you had and explain all the aspects of a group benefit plan to an owner, plan administrator or the employees of the company. The hardest part of the job is when a company left the business and your job was to keep them as part of your book of business.
Pros
Could leave for appts without making up the time
Cons
trying to keep a client that was trying to leave the company
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Western Financial Group?
My experience as an insurance advisor meant that I was able to talk with many people either on the phone or in person. The best part of the job was to be able to help people with their insurance needs and see if they could save money.
Customer orientated. Look out for the customers best interest. Staff try and treat you like family. Great benefits in you are planning on making this a career
It used to be a family like atmosphere in the office,until a new branch manager came in and stopped all of that. I would not reccomend working there to my worst enemy. It's a shame so many good workers quit because of inexperienced and rude management!!
Company believes in growing from within,even has an in house training program to groom leaders. Company culture is very open and transparent from the top down.
Management in office and higher up, head office are horrible. The turn around in office is horrible, turn around in HR is just as bad. The pay is lower for what’s required. They push sales on you, in a quiet office. Poor management makes unhappy staff, hence high staff turn around. If you need a job, it’s a great starting point, but your gonna wanna move on to better.
This company does expect more from their employees than they can possibly do in a given work day and they keep putting on more. The benefit package is very good
Some great people work here. Unfortunately most of them are too afraid to speak up, to share ideas or concerns. This inhibits an environment where innovation and collaboration are part of the culture and people can safely feel heard and respected. Churn is high. Truthfulness, fairness, value and loyalty are professed not practiced. I witnessed numerous co-workers go from being strong, confident, capable and talented employees to stressed out shells of themselves who then ended up quietly being "packaged" out. Mental health is touted as important but show the slightest sign and out comes an envelope and an NDA. The hardest part of this job was working directly for a boss, not a leader. It felt like going backwards in time. When you have worked alongside some really great leaders before the contrast is glaringly apparent when you do not. The disconnect in the organization between the internal team and the sales team is a major obstacle over all and was challenging to navigate. In fairness I did work with some executives outside of my own team that did exemplify leadership that I was grateful to learn from. As is typical there are some really good apples in the bunch but there are a couple not so good ones spoiling it. In my tenure within this organization I accomplished some pretty great things unfortunately when it comes down to it, like many companies, you are just a number at the end of day.
They never pay their clients claims. Very stressful work environment due to complaints constantly. High roll lover of staff as upper management makes you micro manage every one. Complaints are not resolved and clients are stressed out due to it. Negative work environment no resolution to back feedback. Waste of time if you want a long term career
In the beginning I thought I had hit the jackpot. Came in with no prior insurance background and by the end of 3 months had my level 2 insurance licence. Head office promised us the world, home office, expenses paid, support staff to handle submissions and admin work so we could sell, sell, sell. Started with no book of business so we needed that. Support staff refused to assist and only gave advice and did not know how to use the systems. Had 5 different managers in 3 years, only one knew how to coach us and they let him go. Bit by bit all the perks were whittled away and I was stuck with a manager that had no idea how coach/manage a commercial producer, advisor staff were verbally abusive, clients given to other staff even if they were one of my prospects/referrals, blamed for mismanaging files even with clear documentation to prove this was not the case. I could go on and on. In the end, instead of honouring what was promised or offering another position within the company they let me go. Along with everyone else that took their commercial producer program.
They provide a great training program and a lot of support throughout your education and licensing exams. It's a fast paced environment with a lot of room for growth.
For the short time I was there is a great team atmosphere in each department. The managers interacted with the staff on a regular basis. They are great!