Western Financial Group Employee Reviews

Horrible, horrible place to work
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 November 2018
Management is horrendous. Extremely green to the position, so apparently needed to prove her worth. The micro-managing was exhausting and the "alternate facts" coming from management kept me on my toes. Absolutely NO training or guidance until complaints received THEN training was somewhat (is 2 minutes considered training?) provided. No direction, extremely passive aggressive management, no training. You wouldn't even know management was in the office unless you did or said something wrong. Management was quite content to sit and hide in private office and wouldn't consider helping out due to staff shortages. The hardest part of my day was showing up, and the most enjoyable part of the day was leaving.

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND.
Pros
Leaving at 5
Cons
Everything else
Poor Management & High Turnover
Insurance A (Current Employee) –  British Columbia14 November 2018
Nearly all branches are short staffed putting added stress onto agents. Poor management at all levels. Little to no support from upper management whatsoever. The same poor cycle continues without any changes implemented to prevent the same issues from reoccurring.

Issue with staffing results in inability to perform at efficient level and impacts customer service. This leads to MANY unhappy customers and high number of employees who end up on stress leave.

Company is extremely numbers driven - which may not be an issue if offices were staffed properly. Difficult to achieve or surpass expectations when you are completing the duties of 2-3 agents with no compensation.
Cons
Always short staffed, Poor management, Stressful environment
Official response from Western Financial Group
20 November 2018

We appreciate your comments and want to action your feedback appropriately. Please reach out to your manager directly or regional director, so, the challenges may be addressed. Thank you for your feedback.

Industry Leader - Great brokerage to work for
Branch Employee (Current Employee) –  British Columbia2 November 2018
As a long-term employee I am proud to work for Western Financial Group.

This is an insurance brokerage who truly cares about their employees and their clients. I've seen it over an over again trying to find fair solutions for clients and giving employees a chance to succeed in their role or trying to find the right match for their skills.

For those with the skills, right attitude and the personal drive there is plenty of upward mobility in the company.

Be prepared for continual change as this company does not stand for the status quo. They are always looking for ways to be better and you need to be able to adapt quickly.

There is lots of support and development opportunities available. Some is spoon fed , but ideally you need to be a self starter and take ownership of your own development with the tools provided.
Pros
good pay and benefits - education and career development - opportunity for growth and promotion
Cons
continual push for growth - inflexibility typical with a larger company - pace of change
Loved the people
Broker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 October 2018
I loved the people I worked with at our office. Like any office there is over sensitive, lazy and underproductive people. Found that they were often coddled under old management but new management did deal with under performers. The culture is fun and if you are willing to work hard there is plenty of room for advancement. Wages are medium in industry at best but holidays and benefits are decent. Due to understaffing work/life balance can be a struggle. If Western were to change the pay structure and give bonuses more on individual performance and weed out the underperformers it could be a great company.
Pros
Holiday, Benefits, Rrsp, Culture
Cons
Bonus struture, staffing issues
Official response from Western Financial Group
5 November 2018

We appreciate you for taking the team to review Western Financial Group.

fun place to work
Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  AB15 October 2018
The people are great and very friendly, very good teamwork. The benefits and pay are worth your hard work. Best to keep to yourself and then you'll never have any problems.
Pros
like a family orientated place
Cons
lack of compassion from management
Poorly managed company all around.
INSURANCE ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB13 October 2018
Most branches are very understaffed and little to no training is provided for new and/or inexperienced employees. Existing problems are expected to be "put off" until "later" but later never comes!
Cons
Little to no training
Dark ages old boys club
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB10 October 2018
I wouldn't go back for a kidney if I needed one and the only way I could get it is if I worked there again!
New manager in office just prior to me leaving was actually great, but hand tied by top heavy corporate office.
HUGE pay discrepancy between men and women working there, not to mention they pay lower than industry standards.
Pros
Community involvement
Cons
Everything else
Well, another example of a company thats is a shadow of what its former self.
senior level (Former Employee) –  AB8 October 2018
They will attract you with words like transparent , fair, honest, open, engagement etc but what they fail to give you is their definition of such words. I was privy to the conversations that spoke about people as if they were old peta that needed to be put down or out to pasture. Personally I was disgusted. The odd thing is that people I thought I knew seemed to enjoy it. Incould go on and on about the good things I was doing and hd done but I’ll end the review with this. It doesnt matter how good you are or what yu have given up to come to this company in the end unless you bow down theres no future for you.
Pros
Helps you realize what kind of people are out there.
Cons
Helps you realize that that there is still this cut throat, throw you under the bus to save their own skin out there.
Unable to comment as my time with this company was short due to relocation
Personal Lines Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB6 September 2018
Unable to comment as my time with this company was short due to having to relocate for my husbands employment. The time spent with the brokers at the brokerage I was at was pleasant.
poor management
Licensed Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 August 2018
everything at this company was good until july 1/18 when new branch manage took over. its like a dictatorship. staff with 10 years or more are now expected to send all new activities for auditing...like they don't know there job. bullying by other staff goes unpunished, management on power trip….management's way or the high way...so glad to be out there.
pay is minimal at best, below industry standards, high turnover, continually understaffed. workload is at time very high

don't bother filing a complaint with HR cause it goes NO WHERE fast!
Productive and by-the-book.
Adminstrative Associate (Current Employee) –  High River, AB13 August 2018
I took a position at the head office more than a month ago. I am very happy with my entire working experience.
I feel management cares about my team and we're given whatever resource we need to support our brokers in the branches.
My favorite part of the job is getting to help our people in different towns across Canada. Everyone's needs are just a bit different depending on where they are. It's fascinating to learn all these differences, and fulfilling to provide custom solutions that work for these areas.
The hardest part of the job is remembering who does what. There are so many people and departments, and if you're new, that can be difficult to navigate when you need help.
I think the workplace culture is very positive. Expectations are well laid out and available for one's reference. I am already looking forward to advancement in the company.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Heavy workload
Terrible management and no work life balance
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 August 2018
Completely overloaded with work. All shifts are split shifts, 6 day weeks, and often times open to close shifts with no extra pay or time in lieu.

Very bias to employees who are friends with management.

Extemely small annual raises (average is about 10 cents) and zero work life balance.

Manager does not assist even with line up's out the door and only one or two people working without taking breaks.

Very high turnover rate.
Pros
Decent wages
Cons
No work life balance, small raises, unfairness and bias
Very productive
Insurance Advisor-Level (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB29 July 2018
fun and enjoyable atmosphere within branch
received training and level 2 insurance advisor
can be very stressful
Best part is the people I get to work with on a daily basis
Pros
offering people best product at lowest rates
Cons
stressful at times
Poor management
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 July 2018
Coworkers are great, but poor management, most managers are not leaders or willing to help the insurance advisors when it gets busy. The company cares about more sales, higher numbers and commission driven more than anything instead of the happiness of employees and great customer service. It has a lot of cattiness and high school drama as well as some managers are unable to understand employee confidentiality. Good place to start and learn insurance. But best to get out once an opportunity comes up
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lot of work, not enough classroom training
very production and fun play to work
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Lake Country, BC24 July 2018
start of day, answer messages on phone and email. greet customer with a smile. Learned is always new and fun, learning how to use their phone lines and email. i found that management was good she was new to the job when i started. everyone and the client knew each other and had a great relationship. the hardest part of the job would be
Especially in this day and age.
Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Manitoba3 July 2018
I find it almost obscene how much disconnect there is between the front line staff and the so called regional managers. They blatant lack of respect for people and their personal life is astounding! I mean I don't expect to be coddled, I will work hard but in return you need to respect the people in the trenches making this company function. I have never been so disenchanted with a company after listening to a conversation between a head office director and my manager, so artificial and uncaring. I'm currently looking for alternative employment.
Pros
Markets at your disposal
Cons
Anxiety and no job security.
Stay away from head office and anything related to it.
Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Canada1 July 2018
A typical corporate culture, promise you the world as long as you tow the company line. Personalities in High River lead you to believe they are behind making things better and they are as long as it's the bottom line and it's their plan. Questioning things you might need clarification on is frowned upon and unless you "join the club" you will be deemed "not a good fit". The arrogance and undeniable lack of compassion for employees struggling but trying their best was almost impossible to be around at times. I found it disturbing how people can go through life being morally compromised and think everything is okay. I'd like to know what the founder of WFG would think if he knew what was going on.
Pros
experience gained
Cons
everything else
Awful Management
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 June 2018
Started working as an Insurance advisor at the call centre. Complete waste of time. They are not interested in seeing you succeed and management is run like a high school. Avoid working here
Pros
1 hour lunches
Cons
Expectations for new employees
Commercial Sales Rep
Commercial Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 June 2018
Typical day looks like making 80-100 cold calls a day working from 8am-6pm. Your daily plan is trying to get 3 to 5 business owners interested in doing business with you.

Can make very good money in this role but most sales representatives usually transfer into other roles, other departments, or leave the company entirely with a max of 3 years in the role as the job is very taxing as you constantly are pressured into hitting an unrealistic quota each month.

There is also pay inequity as they implemented a training program wage of $27,000 but when they hired new sales representatives they were brought on for $37,000 without increasing the pay for existing sales staff for the same experience, and same role.
Pros
Can make lots of money
Cons
High pressure sales, no security
Fair and honest
Analyst (Former Employee) –  High River, AB8 May 2018
Normal work day as expected. People are dedicated. Company is situated in High River, which is a short distance away from Calgary. Has a warm and welcoming small town feel, but they have achieved a much wider footprint across Alberta and BC.
Pros
Good Company culture
Cons
Long commute from Calgary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6