Westcan Bulk Transport

Canada145 reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

driverdispatchterminalsafetydispatcherequipmenttruckwage

Good pay and benefits but not worth the stress

Benefits and pay were good as well as the co workers but that is all... Very poorly ran especially in the saskatoon branch. Poor work/home balance.. forced overtime most of the time, and if you turn it down you seem to be on managements hit list.. Was the best decision of my life leaving that place.

Pros

pay and benefits

Cons

management, stress, your just a number

8 July 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear your experience wasn't favourable. We work very hard to provide positive work-home life with overtime never being forced. There are, however, busier times than others and we do ask employees to work additional hours in those busy seasons. Best of luck in your future employment.

Poor place to work

They not pay what they promised.Very stressful place to work.Safety preson expected to do everything perfectly while he is not following the rules.The rules for paying overtime are degrading.

29 August 2022
We are sorry to learn the job was not a good fit for you. It is very fast-paced and challenging at times, however we do stand by our best in class driver pay package as well as our overtime practices aligning to the Canada Labour Code. Best of luck in finding a more suitable role for your interests and skills.

Insights into Westcan Bulk Transport

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Love it.

I'm still fairly new but I am loving my job. The environment is a little depressing but it's good work for great pay. The benefits package is amazing and they really care about their employees.

29 August 2022
Thank you so much for your positive review. We are glad you are enjoying your time thus far. Not sure what you feel is contributing to a depressing environment, so if you can reach out to HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca we can get in touch in person to discuss further. Thanks.

Good training and reliable equipment. Management treated most people well

Good training and reliable equipment. Management treated most people well. Long term employment and reliable pay cheques. Sometimes communication with management could be better.

29 August 2022
Thank you for your positive review. Communication can always be improved. We know that and are constantly trying to do better. We see you are a former employee, perhaps you would consider rejoining at some point in the future. Thanks, again!

No driver appreciation

Another American company owned that don’t care about CanadiansThey make you work hard for low rate to keep paying unnecessary VPssssss in position Tractors full of monitoring system

Pros

Lots of work

Cons

They look for any reason to take your bonus

29 August 2022
We are sorry you feel this way and we definitely have to disagree. We work hard to recognize all employees and especially our truck drivers. We understand our company is not for everyone though. Best of luck in your pursuit of employment.

Got to haul a variety of products

Some good training provided but it was hard to get the good work. This was tied up by the drivers who had longer service. There was a lot of politics in the office and office staff turnover was high.

Pros

Good training on many products

Cons

I had to chase up money shorted on wages

14 March 2022
Thank you for your feedback on your experience at our company. We are always making improvements; hopefully you consider us again in the future.

No preasure, relaxed atmosphere bad pay

Easy place to work at at least for me. Other people's experiences could very.If the pay was up to par it would be great, however considering current cost of living and the fact we are hauling dangerous good the pay is a sad joke.

Management is decent Dispatch is frustrating at timesPay cheque is good

I enjoy going into work for the most If you don’t continue to tell dispatch what your willing or not willing to do they will over tax you with work. If you believe 12 hours means 12 hours here it doesn’t unless you say something. They don’t seem to mind when you do say something. I guess it’s the result of having such a large driving staff work force. All in all it’s a great place to work. 😁👍

Pros

Great training to get you started Great pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours and sucky home time with the family

14 March 2022
Thank you for sharing your positive and honest experience. It is tough in trucking to balance home time with the needs of the business. We are always trying to find ways to do it better. Keep sharing your feedback with your operations team. Together we can make it better for all.

Too many rules

Pay was ok- shop is clean.... top heavy with management. good people to work with. Shifts were terrible. wages are competitive. benefits and pension good

14 March 2022
Thank you for sharing your positive and honest experience. We are sorry we are not the place for you in the end.

Can be challenging at times

Room for improvement: driver trips could be planned with lunch break in mind, delays, etc.Otherwise, a very good place to work: good equipments/ units, etc.

Pros

Well maintained equipments

Cons

Not getting paid for some hours worked. No overtime.

18 January 2022
Thank you for your great rating and the compliment on our equipment!If you have any ideas on how we can improve our the planning for driver trips we would like to hear them. My name is Chelsey and you can email me at cjensen@westcanbulk.ca.

You are a number

If you work in the office you are a number. You will be used and abused. You could work yourself to death and never be appreciated. It’s westcan away or no way. You can not have an opinion. I cried a lot at my desk being overworked and under paid.

Benefits

Cons

Everything besides benefits

17 September 2021
Thank you for your comments! That’s unfortunate to hear. We encourage our employees to come forward with concerns and issues as they arise. Ideally, you speak to your supervisor, but our HR team will always have an open ear as well. All the best to you!

Challenging but mostly fun workplace

By comparison with other carriers, Westcan ranks certainly in the higher level. That being said, living in BC, is extremely expensive and I think more needs to be considered when deciding what to pay drivers when it comes to wages at least.

Pros

Fairly decent wages and benefits

Cons

Inconsistent volumes of work

25 May 2021
Thank you so much for your positive rating and honest review. Hopefully the consistency in volumes returns as we continue to move closer to post-pandemic life. Thanks again for sharing!

Collaborative

nice place to work. A lot of new things to learn. More and different choices for work. Competitive pay. Benefits payed from the beginning. Overall the have good benefits backage

Pros

Good pay

27 March 2021
Thank you so much for your positive review of our company. It is always nice to have representation from our current employees on these review pages. Says a lot more than those who choose or are asked to leave us! And you're right about another thing - Truck Driver inherently work long hours throughout our industry. We are working hard to provide work-life balance for all employees and especially our drivers. Thanks again.

Challenging yet rewarding

I have been a long term employee at Westcan. I started in one department and moved my way up. Then switched departments and tried a few different jobs. Thankful to have had the opportunity to advance and move around to improve my knowledge of the organization. 2020 was a challenging year with many obstacles to overcome. The branch is going through a growth stage which brings its own unique set of challenges; however, our team is resilient. Our drivers are dedicated and work together to ensure we do our best each and every day. Proud to be apart of team Red, and looking forward to a year of growth in 2021.

Pros

Benefits are great, staff is friendly, drivers go above and beyond.

Cons

Some longer hours, all worth it for positive results.

8 March 2021
Thank you so much for this honest and positive review. We are SO happy you're on our team, having persevered through one of the most challenging years on record. Onward and upward in 2021. Can't wait to see the new Terminal in person.

Decent place to work

Pay is competitive and generally lots of hours. Management doesn't like to invest in regards to updating equipment and infrastructure. Find it frustrating knowing we could be more efficient and productive.

Pros

Hourly pay, bonuses

Cons

Little support from management

5 February 2021
Thank you for your positive rating and review. Please keep sharing your suggestions with leaders as to how we can be more efficient and productive. Our investment in new tractors has been substantial these past few years and will continue to be so as we work to get the average age of our fleet trucks to new within two years!

Upper management is terrible

Co workers are great to work with but the higher management is very unorganized no communication. Pay is ok. Benefits are ok. If you want job security, don’t work here.

Pros

Co workers

24 November 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback; we agree we have great people working at Westcan! Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Enjoying the work

I enjoy my job as the driver. Work can be stresful sometime. I enjoy working with the people. If you nice, they are nice. They are just people to trying to make business work. Terminal is big, lot to organize. Always try to accommodate my wish or prefence but not always work out. Need to be flexible. Good benefits and pension. Monay is decent.

Pros

Benefits, wage

Cons

shift could change

6 February 2021
Thank you so much for taking the time as a current employee to share your reality. We appreciate the balanced and fair assessment of our workplace and are happy you took the time to share with others considering employment in our company. An employment relationship is definitely a two-way street (pun intended)! Be well and be safe.

Best place i worked in my 21 year career

I joined Westcan after 19.5 years driving van. No btrain experience. Trained by company on hoppers and fuel. In my 21.5 years of driving this is first company that makes sense to work for.Hourly pay, guaranteed home time(weekends). Realy great medical/dental benefits. At Westcan safety is not just a slogan. Its a way of doing things. Great place to work for!

Pros

Pay, home time, all my fellow drivers. Great people!

21 September 2020
Great review, thank you for the compliment :). Very much appreciated.

Good company

Westcan is a good company, competitive wages,year around work, polite supervisors and dispatch. Always ready to help. All management really awesome. Good we’ll maintain equipment.

21 September 2020
Thank you for your comment. We are very happy to "hear" that.

stable work and competitive pay, a good manager

I've been in the industry a long time. Westcan's new pay package is very competitive (hourly). I like my boss and dispatcher. Lots of work and high expectations, but they are fair and reasonable when personal things come up.

Pros

lots of opportunity to work, fair treatment, cares about their people, stable work and competitive pay, an industry leader

Cons

not home every night, no bluetooth allowed

21 September 2020
Nice feedback! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback.

Student Job

Flexible working hours, You 4*10 hour shifts which give you 3 days off. Although co-workers are nice and helpful, you're pretty much on your own. You get free food at times. Great benefits but on the other side, you get to do repetitive stuff everyday and after some time, it gets boring. Advancement is mostly for middle - top management.

16 October 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience by posting a review. Please continue to discuss your experiences with your direct supervisor or by reaching out to HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westcan Bulk Transport. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement