Westcan Bulk Transport

Canada36 reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

driverdispatchterminalsafetydispatcherequipmenttruckwage

Can be challenging at times

Room for improvement: driver trips could be planned with lunch break in mind, delays, etc.Otherwise, a very good place to work: good equipments/ units, etc.

Pros

Well maintained equipments

Cons

Not getting paid for some hours worked. No overtime.

18 January 2022
Thank you for your great rating and the compliment on our equipment!If you have any ideas on how we can improve our the planning for driver trips we would like to hear them. My name is Chelsey and you can email me at cjensen@westcanbulk.ca.

Poor place to work

They not pay what they promised.Very stressful place to work.Safety preson expected to do everything perfectly while he is not following the rules.The rules for paying overtime are degrading.

29 August 2022
We are sorry to learn the job was not a good fit for you. It is very fast-paced and challenging at times, however we do stand by our best in class driver pay package as well as our overtime practices aligning to the Canada Labour Code. Best of luck in finding a more suitable role for your interests and skills.

Insights into Westcan Bulk Transport

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Good training and reliable equipment. Management treated most people well

Good training and reliable equipment. Management treated most people well. Long term employment and reliable pay cheques. Sometimes communication with management could be better.

29 August 2022
Thank you for your positive review. Communication can always be improved. We know that and are constantly trying to do better. We see you are a former employee, perhaps you would consider rejoining at some point in the future. Thanks, again!

Got to haul a variety of products

Some good training provided but it was hard to get the good work. This was tied up by the drivers who had longer service. There was a lot of politics in the office and office staff turnover was high.

Pros

Good training on many products

Cons

I had to chase up money shorted on wages

14 March 2022
Thank you for your feedback on your experience at our company. We are always making improvements; hopefully you consider us again in the future.

Not bad if you don't mind being away from home

Not bad if you don't mind being away from home for 6 weeks at a time or up to 3 mths. Pay is good. Dispatch is ok. Term manager and safety look out for themselves and never have your back. (No all the same)

No comment

Safety is not as big a deal as they claim. Pay is good with bonuses. Management is poor. Co-workers, for the most part, are decent. Benefits could be a lot better.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

benefits arent great

Westcan is a really good workplace

Really great workplace... If you're open to haul the seasonal products you can make good money.... Branches and dispatches care a lot about drivers and I really like that....

Pros

Hourly pay

Cons

Not good communication between branches

Good work life balance with 4 on and 4 off shifts

New pay structure is ok. Pay is fair until you get overtime, but otherwise a very good place to work. I love the 4 days off and the benefits are pretty good - but could be better.

Great Pay

Westcan's new Hourly pay has been great. Happy with it. Don't feel like we have to rush as drivers to get the loads done to make money. Safety culture is getting better now as well.

Pros

Pay

Working at Westcan

The people at Westcan at very friendly. Westcan has a lot of diverse runs. The new hourly pay is a great bonus. Been here for 11 years as a rotational driver, and i wouldn't go anywhere else, I plan to retire here

Pros

Pay

Cons

nothing

Great place to get a start with class 1 driving

Great place to work, home time is very limited though and I found that the salary was low compared to other companies in the city without going highway.

Pros

great experiece

Cons

long hours, pay not as high as I would of hoped

Quality Company

This is a top notch operation. The only company i worked for that even cared about fatigue management. Good contracts ensure steady work. Never heard of anyone getting laid off there.Equipment is top notch .

Pros

Benefits, Safety Culture, Quality Equipment

Cons

actual pay is complicated, could be alittle more, but the benefits make up for it.

Very discriminatory place to work

Lot of empty promises, seniors drivers pick what they want and when they want, new drivers get what’s left. Frist 12 months you will pay what every they offer you because we are on 95% pay, so nothing is free! Y

Pros

Schedule time off

Cons

To much favouritism to senior drivers

Good Employer

Depending on what you want as a career these are good employers. Prospects are low but wage is good.

Pros

new equipment, good earning potential

Cons

no furtherment really available