Westcan Bulk Transport

Westcan Bulk Transport Employee Reviews for Truck Driver

Truck Driver36 reviews
Canada36 reviews

driverdispatchterminalsafetydispatcherequipmenttruckwage

Good place to work but there is too much gossip coming out of the dispatch about other drivers to other drivers this can cause a lot of problems and bad morale

Safety Culture at the highest

They take safety seriously. enjoyed the hometime. there is a plenty of work available year round. there is apportunities if you want to advance your carier.

Insights into Westcan Bulk Transport

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Poor place to work

They not pay what they promised.Very stressful place to work.Safety preson expected to do everything perfectly while he is not following the rules.The rules for paying overtime are degrading.

29 August 2022
We are sorry to learn the job was not a good fit for you. It is very fast-paced and challenging at times, however we do stand by our best in class driver pay package as well as our overtime practices aligning to the Canada Labour Code. Best of luck in finding a more suitable role for your interests and skills.

Good training and reliable equipment. Management treated most people well

Good training and reliable equipment. Management treated most people well. Long term employment and reliable pay cheques. Sometimes communication with management could be better.

29 August 2022
Thank you for your positive review. Communication can always be improved. We know that and are constantly trying to do better. We see you are a former employee, perhaps you would consider rejoining at some point in the future. Thanks, again!

An all around great work environment

In nearly 20 years working in this industry, I’ve never experienced a more organized and supportive working environment. The company as a whole, is well structured and managed. The team in Langley has been nothing short of amazing and extremely accommodating. They truly allow for a real work/life balance and I could not be happier. They are always doing what they can to make sure you are using the best equipment available. I look forward to a long career here and hope to continue to grow with this company. DS

29 August 2022
Thank you so much for your positive review. The Langley team is an awesome one all around! We are happy to hear you're here for the long haul (pun intended!).

Could have been an amazing place if not the management at the Langley terminal

Abusive management, equipment in terrible condition, turnover rate is extremely alarming. If you respect yourself apply elsewhere, there are way better places out there.

8 July 2022
It is disappointing when employees leave on bad terms. It's true we may not be the company for every driver, however we strongly disagree with your comments. There are many more drivers who remain employed who do not feel this way in Langley and across the country. Best of luck in your pursuit of employment elsewhere.

Good company to work

Didn't work too long to understand this company very good. My impression it is kind of the same or a bit better in some aspects bulk transport company.

8 July 2022
Thank you for your positive comments. It is too bad you didn't work for us for long. Perhaps it will work out to rejoin us in the future.

Work can be challenging, but your paid decently

Lots of opportunites at westccan from coast to coast, for a driver to experience. It can be a very Fast paved work environment, but safety is #1. No forced dispatch!Alot of positive attitudes, fellow drivers are Almost always willing to help when on the job.My overall experience with WestCan is a Positive one.

8 July 2022
Thank you for sharing your positive and honest feedback. It's true it is a very fast paced environment, but you're right, never at the expense of safety for our employees, customers and the public we share the road with. Keep it up!

New name came but ...

To be honest the training part would be the best besides the equipments , and am sure the company invest a lot to have good driver and good work atmosphere on KAG until you come across the dispatch or office representatives, positive communication or discussion are almost no no ..they really have to move on along with the new logo and company vision not stand still as an old soldier of the westcanLot to say but hope future prove me wrong and those reviews include mine would become just a past not a reference.Ps: I seen some response from the officials to some driver make things sounds its individuals or personal issues ...its not its a review that represent every and each driver encountered in the company and when We say "company"doesn't mean KAG or westcan but means some of its employees who they may implement their own work ethic...

8 July 2022
Hi there, your review says you're a current employee. If this is still the case, please reach out to your supervisor or contact HR at HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca and we would be happy to address the concerns you have with the new branding as well as your personal experience as a driver with us. Take care.

Room for improvement

I was a seasonal driver, NH3 couldn’t ask for fairness, and pay. Ice road…Huge room for improvement, management is not a friendly place. Very argumentative and and unappreciative, as well as demanding, and threatening The camp facilities are terrible…Serious issues with breakdowns (trucks and trailers)

Pros

Camp food is good.

Cons

Bad management

29 August 2022
Thank you for your review. We can appreciate that different hauls have a different atmosphere, however we always strive to be respectful and fair. We do have our fall fertilizer season starting up again in the next few weeks. You should consider reaching out to rejoin us! Thanks again for the review. We appreciate it.

Hard to wright pros and cons

Hard to say but this company is the best in class. Plan ahead and will happen the best.Do not expect too much. Home safely every day or by the week end. Good equipments .

29 August 2022
Thank you so much! This is a great review. We appreciate you taking the time. It says you're a former employee. Perhaps you would consider rejoining our team again!

Got to haul a variety of products

Some good training provided but it was hard to get the good work. This was tied up by the drivers who had longer service. There was a lot of politics in the office and office staff turnover was high.

Pros

Good training on many products

Cons

I had to chase up money shorted on wages

14 March 2022
Thank you for your feedback on your experience at our company. We are always making improvements; hopefully you consider us again in the future.

Great for long haul trucking Great equipment great team Full support of management Safty program E logs and cameras in all trucks

Liked the work and the staff Management team were great in Kamloops Recommend this job to all drivers they do it right here Safe driving is a must and lots mountain driving and lots off b train work All training is provided All equipment is maintained and well serviced

Pros

Good pay

14 March 2022
Thank you so much for sharing your positive and honest experience. Safety is definitely a core value of our company and those who share that value often thrive. The Kamloops team is top notch for sure. Keep sharing the positive feedback and send drivers our way!

Can be challenging at times

Room for improvement: driver trips could be planned with lunch break in mind, delays, etc.Otherwise, a very good place to work: good equipments/ units, etc.

Pros

Well maintained equipments

Cons

Not getting paid for some hours worked. No overtime.

18 January 2022
Thank you for your great rating and the compliment on our equipment!If you have any ideas on how we can improve our the planning for driver trips we would like to hear them. My name is Chelsey and you can email me at cjensen@westcanbulk.ca.

Very rules oriented

Big company with strict rules and policies for every occasion. They monitor electronically every move you make as a driver and frequently have secret safety observers watching how you load or unload. You do not have the freedom to make judgement calls. You have to report to dispatch and someone else will decide what to do should a problem arise. If you can handle big brother watching everything you do and telling you what to do, then this is paradise.

Pros

The hourly wage is tops.

Cons

Impersonal, you are just a small cog in a big machine, don't expect compliments, do expect reprimands

17 September 2021
Hello! Thank you for your comments! We do have outward-facing cameras installed in our trucks, that’s correct. They are a great resource for safety reasons and have helped on many occasions to clarify what has happened during incidents. Despite your comment, we really appreciate the positive rating! Take care.

There not a bad pace to work

Pay was ok, there steady year round if you're willing to haul different products. Its a big company lots of drivers don't expect to be know by name. The terminals are set up good for showers ext. They did try to work with guys for hoe time and stuff. Your pretty much micro managed there just show up and drive if any problems happen let dispatch figure it out.

Pros

Steady work

Cons

Slow trucks, lots of rookies smashing things, bad rep on the road

16 January 2021
Thank you for your honest review. Sounds like a solid 3 instead of 2 to me! We hope to have you back.

Very generous with training. High Standards

I found that all of the Westcan people I had dealings with, to be friendly, helpful, supportive and professional. A very high degree of safety awareness. I would recommend Westcan Bulk Transport to any Truck Driver that is familiar with the "Fuel" industry, or are interested in improving and expanding their skill set.

Pros

Flexible work/life configurations, One of the better paying companies out there. Great corporate culture.

Cons

Trucking is hard. The "Cons" are more a part of the industry than this particular company.

10 December 2020
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience. We are sorry the industry is not for you. Hopefully we can continue to make improvements so it is a better fit for more people as we need a lot of truck drivers to make the country sing. Take care and best of luck in your future endeavours.

Don’t waste your life with this company

Really really bad people to work with ,equipments are good but sadly people are bad,they sing safety song all the time just to show ,in busy time thy close their eyes and when slow they open their eyes then they start blaming driver ,if busy keral lake loads driver can do in a day even violating hour of service ,no problem,as soon as slow down then driver to blame ,they even cheat to dot ,top level management is really bad ,some discrimination is also their ,dispatchers are mostly family or friends each other ,if you are not a yes boss kind of person then not a good place to work ,some mechanics are also bad attitude,they sing this 27 dollars per hour song all the time but at least driver work 1 hour daily for free,they cheat systematically,favertism also a part of the dispatch and manager as well ,but I came to conclusion nothing is going to change because the problem is the top person he is the one encouraging all this

6 February 2021
Usually we try to address comments and reviews of former employees objectively, however based on the baseless and unsupported claims made in yours there appears little point. Our company is definitely not for everyone and the decision to leave (or our decision in asking you to leave, whichever it was) appears best for all. Take Care.

Good company

Westcan is a good company, competitive wages,year around work, polite supervisors and dispatch. Always ready to help. All management really awesome. Good we’ll maintain equipment.

21 September 2020
Thank you for your comment. We are very happy to "hear" that.

no not good dog eat dog

terrible place to work theyb lie a ;lot back stabbing trying to make you do sleep control bull i never had a accident they would be on you every day terrible schooling as well.

Stay away

Terrible place to work terrible dispatch couldn’t keep track of anything. Couldn’t organize a circle I ina w house really poorly run for sure. Managed teribly

16 October 2020
We are disappointed to hear you feel this way about your time at our company. All employees are encouraged to reach out to their direct supervisor or HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca if they feel their concerns are not being addressed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westcan Bulk Transport. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement