Westcan Bulk Transport

Canada47 reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

driverdispatchterminalsafetydispatcherequipmenttruckwage

Management is decent Dispatch is frustrating at timesPay cheque is good

I enjoy going into work for the most If you don’t continue to tell dispatch what your willing or not willing to do they will over tax you with work. If you believe 12 hours means 12 hours here it doesn’t unless you say something. They don’t seem to mind when you do say something. I guess it’s the result of having such a large driving staff work force. All in all it’s a great place to work. 😁👍

Pros

Great training to get you started Great pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours and sucky home time with the family

14 March 2022
Thank you for sharing your positive and honest experience. It is tough in trucking to balance home time with the needs of the business. We are always trying to find ways to do it better. Keep sharing your feedback with your operations team. Together we can make it better for all.

Collaborative

nice place to work. A lot of new things to learn. More and different choices for work. Competitive pay. Benefits payed from the beginning. Overall the have good benefits backage

Pros

Good pay

27 March 2021
Thank you so much for your positive review of our company. It is always nice to have representation from our current employees on these review pages. Says a lot more than those who choose or are asked to leave us! And you're right about another thing - Truck Driver inherently work long hours throughout our industry. We are working hard to provide work-life balance for all employees and especially our drivers. Thanks again.

Insights into Westcan Bulk Transport

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Enjoying the work

I enjoy my job as the driver. Work can be stresful sometime. I enjoy working with the people. If you nice, they are nice. They are just people to trying to make business work. Terminal is big, lot to organize. Always try to accommodate my wish or prefence but not always work out. Need to be flexible. Good benefits and pension. Monay is decent.

Pros

Benefits, wage

Cons

shift could change

6 February 2021
Thank you so much for taking the time as a current employee to share your reality. We appreciate the balanced and fair assessment of our workplace and are happy you took the time to share with others considering employment in our company. An employment relationship is definitely a two-way street (pun intended)! Be well and be safe.

Best place i worked in my 21 year career

I joined Westcan after 19.5 years driving van. No btrain experience. Trained by company on hoppers and fuel. In my 21.5 years of driving this is first company that makes sense to work for.Hourly pay, guaranteed home time(weekends). Realy great medical/dental benefits. At Westcan safety is not just a slogan. Its a way of doing things. Great place to work for!

Pros

Pay, home time, all my fellow drivers. Great people!

21 September 2020
Great review, thank you for the compliment :). Very much appreciated.

stable work and competitive pay, a good manager

I've been in the industry a long time. Westcan's new pay package is very competitive (hourly). I like my boss and dispatcher. Lots of work and high expectations, but they are fair and reasonable when personal things come up.

Pros

lots of opportunity to work, fair treatment, cares about their people, stable work and competitive pay, an industry leader

Cons

not home every night, no bluetooth allowed

21 September 2020
Nice feedback! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback.

Good company

I regret quitting it was good place to work and now they pay by hour and its good money good benefits and new trucks that are well maintained and good dispatchers and safety

30 September 2019
Thank you for your feedback! Please check out www.DriveWithWBT.ca and feel free to re-apply.

New(er) well maintained equipment; flexible for drivers who are not in terminal cities

I'm fortunate to have been with WBT since December '17. Management and dispatch are great to work with; the fact they work with drivers really helps make the job easier, there are no surprises which could leave a driver on the hook. EDLs and monthly online safety modules keep us compliant, and any safety concerns or suggestions are promptly addressed and considered. WBT has been an excellent fit for me.

Pros

All time is paid at above industry scale, the perks and benefits and bonuses are much appreciated.

Cons

In 25 years of service in the industry, the only "con" I can think of is that unloading can be a cold endeavor, bundle up. Warm FR PPE is supplied.

Steady work - great pay

New management and Sarnia terminal opening has made a big difference. Home every night and earned well over $100k last year. Drivers should have nothing to complain about - do the math - my 2018 pay was up 36% from the previous year at Chapple. 2019 is guaranteed to be even better, with higher earnings due to new hourly rate CPP and EI is already maxed out in May - tell me when you ever did that hauling fuel. Since the hourly pay, I am up another 17%. They have some nitpicking safety rules; but hey, you pay me hourly, and I will do it your way. I could do without the lectures from safety, but I guess that’s a pretty small price. If they make me mad with their preaching attitude, I just look at my paystubs and say ok whatever you want.

Pros

Steady work - great pay

Cons

they Will take your bonus any way they can AND give you a lecture

Horrible Management

Lots of lies at this company Equipment is 3 million kms plus for one with constant repairs. They promise you 28.00 per hr but when you get your pay the hours are not equal to your hours of service according to E- Logs. They start to talk nice to you at first then after training you drop in wages from 28.00 per hour to actual 24.12 per hour Pay statements are hard to read and Payroll do not like to pay everything you put in a days work your constantly pestering for monies you worked for takes weeks to solve anything. Schedules are Sunday to Saturday and if you start the days off are middle of week you will not see overtime paid on your check. Only Good thing about Westcan is the trainers they are the best.

Pros

Top notch trainers

Cons

Management, Paychecks not correct have to chase. Long hours 12-14. Management lies

Minus rating

They don't pay waiting time . You have to fight for pay. You brake down don't plan on getting paid for it. They say 1400 a week but it's averaged over hole contract so you will get 0. Winter road wast of time long hours no pay . The contract you sign makes it so they don't have to pay you for any down time. They're quick to send messages about something you did wrong but takes months to strategy pay. Contracts benafet company never the driver

Pros

Vaseline is cheep

Cons

You alway get screwed

updated to their safety

Good Company...plus benefits..updated safety training friendly workplace...good salary.....hardest part of the job is when the the road was so bad during winter and traffic..............................the enjoyable part is the pay day..............................

Pros

good salary

Cons

No Communication and low pay and long hours

This company needs to give their head a shake and maybe should have stayed out of the oil business. You work long days at low rates and then have to fight with the payroll department to get paid even when you have submitted all the paperwork. My coworkers are good but dealing with the head office in Edmonton is difficult and never ending. They just don't seem to care about what goes on outside of the Edmonton office. Perhaps if they paid their drivers and employees better wages and maybe got rid of some of the excess in the Edmonton office things they might have employees will to stay.

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

Long Hours at bottom dollar rates