Westcan Bulk Transport

Westcan Bulk Transport Employee Reviews for Driver

Driver47 reviews
Canada47 reviews

driverdispatchterminalsafetydispatcherequipmenttruckwage

Management is decent Dispatch is frustrating at timesPay cheque is good

I enjoy going into work for the most If you don’t continue to tell dispatch what your willing or not willing to do they will over tax you with work. If you believe 12 hours means 12 hours here it doesn’t unless you say something. They don’t seem to mind when you do say something. I guess it’s the result of having such a large driving staff work force. All in all it’s a great place to work. 😁👍

Pros

Great training to get you started Great pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours and sucky home time with the family

14 March 2022
Thank you for sharing your positive and honest experience. It is tough in trucking to balance home time with the needs of the business. We are always trying to find ways to do it better. Keep sharing your feedback with your operations team. Together we can make it better for all.

Good place for me to work, close to home

Overall, Westcan Bulk Transport has met my needs for what I want workwise, Equipment needs a little more attention in some areas, but i like the Management and dispatch crew at our Branch.

29 August 2022
This is great to hear! Thank you for sharing. We know we have to continue to ensure our equipment is up to the standards we believe in so that our drivers can perform their role safely and without disruption. Keep the communication on any of your specific concerns flowing to the Langley supervisors and Terminal Manager. We will work to address them timely.

Insights into Westcan Bulk Transport

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Westcan doesn't care about their employees

Westcan is more interested in buying companies than running them efficiently. They preach safety, but far from it. They love to hold you accountable for their mistakes

29 August 2022
It is unfortunate you feel this way. We definitely disagree with this assessment. Safety is paramount in all we do and I would say many other reviews are contrary to your experience. Hopefully you found employment at a company that meets your needs.

Productive easy to work for

The job was non stop run yours out . Great bonuses easy to get along with. Equipment was up to date. Most times home for days off.Safety is up front all the time

14 March 2022
Thank you so much for your positive feedback on your experience with our company. Hopefully it works to return to us in the future.

Worst equipment and management as per MNC

Particularly writing for Langley branch, it's a full mess , nothing is organized, people sitting on revolving chairs know nothing about trucking, safety is only preached and meant to abided by drivers only, they don't hesitate to put you in crappie equipment, just so they don't miss a load, it's OK for someone new to enter tanker line but if someone knows the gig and have guts to stand up ,they don't like him. Hard worker never get appreciated rather who dog around are favorite

Pros

Pay

29 December 2021
Hello! Thank you for your comment! We are sorry to hear your experience wasn't great! Certainly would appreciate it if you were willing to share more info. You can contact us at hrsupport@westcanbulk.ca. Take care!

Dispatch is not the greatest

It's was a mixed bag working for KAG . Most days dispatch was making it up ad they go I.e you wouldn't have enough time for things when it came to switching from highway to city. There were maybe one or two dispatchers who were great , but most of them have no actual idea what it's like on the road which is frustrating because time management is crucial . We'd rarely get to take breaks because of thw work load. The company had slip seating meaning you share a truck that someone else sleeps in and you're left with the mess. There's no communication, half the mornings you'd get there and your truck or trailers would be gone so you loose hours there. I think they need to slow down and re think everything and then they will be a better place to work.

Pros

New trucks and satellite radio

Cons

Long hours, slip seating, comfusing dispatch

22 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with us. I have taken this message and shared it with our team to provide feedback for growth and development.We hope that in the future you consider working with us again.If you wish to share any further thoughts, you can email us at: hrsupport@westcanbulk.caThank you.

Excellent place to work at.

I've been an employee for almost a year on a fly in/fly out basis from Montreal to Saskatoon working on super B's hoppers.I really enjoyed my time I spent with them.If It was up to me, I sure would return.Saskatoon terminal was a great place to work with.

Pros

Respect to employees, great backup from dispatch, open door to management.

Cons

Left cause I could not stay.

12 August 2021
Thank you for your great review! Keep us in mind if you see an opportunity to come back :).

Collaborative

nice place to work. A lot of new things to learn. More and different choices for work. Competitive pay. Benefits payed from the beginning. Overall the have good benefits backage

Pros

Good pay

27 March 2021
Thank you so much for your positive review of our company. It is always nice to have representation from our current employees on these review pages. Says a lot more than those who choose or are asked to leave us! And you're right about another thing - Truck Driver inherently work long hours throughout our industry. We are working hard to provide work-life balance for all employees and especially our drivers. Thanks again.

Extremely disorganized

First week out I had nothing but problems. They assigned me a truck that was nowhere to be found. Then the trailer I was assigned was written up in their DMR system, dispatch said it was fine. It definitely was not. Half there trailers are older than I am. The driver services guys are absolute clowns. Big shots think they’re better than everyone. 10/10 would not recommend. Unless you love not being home and angry all the time.

Pros

Nice trucks

Cons

Bad management/ Junk equipment

6 February 2021
Being a truck driver in Canada is a career that has many challenges and being away from home is one of them. We are working hard to come up with creative ways to provide work-life balance for our drivers. It is too bad you didn't stick around long enough to see that. Another area we are constantly striving to improve is the driver experience from recruitment through to retirement. Thanks for sharing what occurred with your equipment; we will take the feedback as a reminder we always have to ensure the equipment is ready and in good repair for all new drivers as this is our expectation. Take Care.

Unbelievably badly organized management, safety, dispatch and maintenance

The Coquitlam branch took a really bad turn since the beginning of the year. Any equipment problems take weeks to months to be fixed since 3/4 of the mechanics quit. Takes days to get any PPE. Management has become very aggressive giving you the tone of "you should be thankful for having a job in the middle of the pandemic". The branch is missing so many drivers that they do not hesitate to send untrained drivers to do unsafe work. Dispatch is such a mess that they constantly run Stations out of fuel for hours. There are zero covid measures taken in the branch, no masks, no barriers, no social distancing. Safety is almost non existent and management is more than willing to bend/ignore their own rules in order to satisfy their customers.And the biggest joke of all is the pay. They dock or flat out refuse to pay hours you worked, out of your paycheque if you take too long to do something and you have to fight them to get it "approved".This company has turned into a joke. Nothing like when it was wheeler. Stay away, it's not worth the headaches.

Pros

Cons

Way too many

16 November 2020
We are disappointed to hear you feel this way. 2020 has definitely been a challenging year for a lot of companies. We are confident, however that we are making positive progress and are sorry you chose to leave before the full effects have been realized. We have been hiring and training in Dispatch and are working to address the Safety Department and Fleet Services concerns you mention. We do not share your opinion that Safety is not valued nor adhered to; the safety and security of our employees, customers, and those we share the roads with is our number one value. We are also very proud of the total compensation package available to our drivers. It is unfortunate it doesn't meet your expectation. We wish you the best in finding an employer that is the right fit for you.

Enjoying the work

I enjoy my job as the driver. Work can be stresful sometime. I enjoy working with the people. If you nice, they are nice. They are just people to trying to make business work. Terminal is big, lot to organize. Always try to accommodate my wish or prefence but not always work out. Need to be flexible. Good benefits and pension. Monay is decent.

Pros

Benefits, wage

Cons

shift could change

6 February 2021
Thank you so much for taking the time as a current employee to share your reality. We appreciate the balanced and fair assessment of our workplace and are happy you took the time to share with others considering employment in our company. An employment relationship is definitely a two-way street (pun intended)! Be well and be safe.

Job risk

If you want stress. Risk. Injury. Poor management this is the place. Money is awesome but money is not everything. You will go into super tight places. Deal with public that run over your hoses and drive threw your pylons. You have to wear full coverup even when it's 40 c.

6 February 2021
Thank you for bringing to light some of the challenges drivers face throughout the industry. Some customers do have tight sites that make it difficult to access, however we strive to assign the correct equipment and driver to those places to ensure we are able to provide the excellent customer service our customers expect. Much like customer sites, the general public's response to our work is out of our control, however how we respond is not. We aim for professionalism in all we do. And finally, proper PPE is essential when hauling HAZMAT, however our uniform and PPE provides adequate options for all weather conditions. And remember, it's there to protect you from the injuries and risk you reference. Based on all of this it seems your decision to move on from our company was the best one for you. Take Care.

Stressful place to work

The company give you so much stress sometimes I felt that i was in deep stress because of them, the Terminal manager and dispatcher are rude to drivers they PUSH you for your every task and blackmail you to do more loads otherwise they don’t want you to keep in the company.Not good place to work.

Pros

Cons

Stressful, disrespectful Environment.

13 October 2020
We are disappointed to hear you feel this way about your time at our company. We strive for professionalism in all our interactions. All employees are encouraged to reach out to their direct supervisor or HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca if they feel their concerns are not being addressed.

Terrible place to work.

Terminal manager and dispatchers are soo rude to the drivers I never see that many unprofessional people working at the same place. They offer $27/hr but you have to report every each minute of your working hours even for your Washroom time, give you so much stress all the time. If you love yourself don’t work for Westcan.

Pros

Cons

Need to change the management.

16 October 2020
We are disappointed to hear your experience at Westcan was not favourable. Regarding accounting for your time, this is a fundamental aspect of our hourly pay package and also aligns with Federal Hours of Service with respect to recording your work day appropriately. We understand hourly pay is not for all drivers and wish you the best of success in finding the right fit for you.

Best place i worked in my 21 year career

I joined Westcan after 19.5 years driving van. No btrain experience. Trained by company on hoppers and fuel. In my 21.5 years of driving this is first company that makes sense to work for.Hourly pay, guaranteed home time(weekends). Realy great medical/dental benefits. At Westcan safety is not just a slogan. Its a way of doing things. Great place to work for!

Pros

Pay, home time, all my fellow drivers. Great people!

21 September 2020
Great review, thank you for the compliment :). Very much appreciated.

stable work and competitive pay, a good manager

I've been in the industry a long time. Westcan's new pay package is very competitive (hourly). I like my boss and dispatcher. Lots of work and high expectations, but they are fair and reasonable when personal things come up.

Pros

lots of opportunity to work, fair treatment, cares about their people, stable work and competitive pay, an industry leader

Cons

not home every night, no bluetooth allowed

21 September 2020
Nice feedback! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback.

Very cold environment

When I first started to work for WBT there was warm and welcoming environment. Now as you enter the office it is very cold and unwelcoming. Managers don’t welcome you or acknowledge you as everyone else sitting there. As a seasonal driver they will give you keys to a very dirty truck and you are expected to clean on arrival. They also expect you to sleep in a truck when you arrive in Edmonton and not provide you a motel room. Very pushy dispatch who are never held to accountability...they know who to push and intimidate. It’s been downhill since American owned.

Pros

Good training

Cons

No respect for drivers which is ironic.

16 October 2020
We are sorry you feel the work environment has changed. We absolutely respect our drivers! It is true the current COVID-19 pandemic has changed how we interact with our drivers and employees who work remotely. We, are, however continuing to strive for openness, even if we meet more on the phone or in the yard as opposed to in person in the office. Employees are encouraged to reach out to their direct supervisor or HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca if they feel their concerns are not being addressed.

Absolute worst place to work

The worst thing is that since they installed on board forward facing cameras. When an event is triggered it’s just supposed to record forward facing events, however, they will use the reflection off the windshield to catch you on your phone or not wearing a seat belt. They don’t trust their employees. Their terminal manager lies to its employees and they don’t know how to properly dispatch loads. Always having run outs.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Poor management and dispatch

31 August 2020
Hello. We are sorry to hear your concerns and encourage you to reach out to hrsupport@westcanbulk.ca for further follow up. Thank you,

Unqualified Management

The management are really unqualified they dont have a good skills truck always down the shops is really bad the payment is always short ! Dont waste your time and look for other trucking company ! They dont respect driver we are treated like dog!

4 August 2020
Hello. Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way. Please connect with us at hrsupport@westcanbulk.ca to review your concerns. Thank you.

Do what your told right or wrong

Consistently criticizes for doing your work because they no best .Thier way or no way it don't matter how long you worked in this business. Dispatch always changing don't no what's going on.

16 October 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed you feel this way. We understand that Team Westcan is not for everyone and wish you the best in your trucking career.

It was a good job. They encouraged independent thinking and i like that

It was hard to get in the clique but the people in the office are friendly and always ready to help a coworker. Would have liked to say longer and really build a future there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westcan Bulk Transport. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement