Westcan Bulk Transport
Happiness score is 54 out of 100

Working at Westcan Bulk Transport: Latest Westcan Bulk Transport Reviews

Canada157 reviews

driverdispatchterminalsafetydispatcherequipmenttruckwage

Good place to work but there is too much gossip coming out of the dispatch about other drivers to other drivers this can cause a lot of problems and bad morale

Safety Culture at the highest

They take safety seriously. enjoyed the hometime. there is a plenty of work available year round. there is apportunities if you want to advance your carier.

Insights into Westcan Bulk Transport

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Poor place to work

They not pay what they promised.Very stressful place to work.Safety preson expected to do everything perfectly while he is not following the rules.The rules for paying overtime are degrading.

29 August 2022
We are sorry to learn the job was not a good fit for you. It is very fast-paced and challenging at times, however we do stand by our best in class driver pay package as well as our overtime practices aligning to the Canada Labour Code. Best of luck in finding a more suitable role for your interests and skills.

Love it.

I'm still fairly new but I am loving my job. The environment is a little depressing but it's good work for great pay. The benefits package is amazing and they really care about their employees.

29 August 2022
Thank you so much for your positive review. We are glad you are enjoying your time thus far. Not sure what you feel is contributing to a depressing environment, so if you can reach out to HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca we can get in touch in person to discuss further. Thanks.

Good training and reliable equipment. Management treated most people well

Good training and reliable equipment. Management treated most people well. Long term employment and reliable pay cheques. Sometimes communication with management could be better.

29 August 2022
Thank you for your positive review. Communication can always be improved. We know that and are constantly trying to do better. We see you are a former employee, perhaps you would consider rejoining at some point in the future. Thanks, again!

Good place for me to work, close to home

Overall, Westcan Bulk Transport has met my needs for what I want workwise, Equipment needs a little more attention in some areas, but i like the Management and dispatch crew at our Branch.

29 August 2022
This is great to hear! Thank you for sharing. We know we have to continue to ensure our equipment is up to the standards we believe in so that our drivers can perform their role safely and without disruption. Keep the communication on any of your specific concerns flowing to the Langley supervisors and Terminal Manager. We will work to address them timely.

An all around great work environment

In nearly 20 years working in this industry, I’ve never experienced a more organized and supportive working environment. The company as a whole, is well structured and managed. The team in Langley has been nothing short of amazing and extremely accommodating. They truly allow for a real work/life balance and I could not be happier. They are always doing what they can to make sure you are using the best equipment available. I look forward to a long career here and hope to continue to grow with this company. DS

29 August 2022
Thank you so much for your positive review. The Langley team is an awesome one all around! We are happy to hear you're here for the long haul (pun intended!).

Could have been an amazing place if not the management at the Langley terminal

Abusive management, equipment in terrible condition, turnover rate is extremely alarming. If you respect yourself apply elsewhere, there are way better places out there.

8 July 2022
It is disappointing when employees leave on bad terms. It's true we may not be the company for every driver, however we strongly disagree with your comments. There are many more drivers who remain employed who do not feel this way in Langley and across the country. Best of luck in your pursuit of employment elsewhere.

Good company to work

Didn't work too long to understand this company very good. My impression it is kind of the same or a bit better in some aspects bulk transport company.

8 July 2022
Thank you for your positive comments. It is too bad you didn't work for us for long. Perhaps it will work out to rejoin us in the future.

Work can be challenging, but your paid decently

Lots of opportunites at westccan from coast to coast, for a driver to experience. It can be a very Fast paved work environment, but safety is #1. No forced dispatch!Alot of positive attitudes, fellow drivers are Almost always willing to help when on the job.My overall experience with WestCan is a Positive one.

8 July 2022
Thank you for sharing your positive and honest feedback. It's true it is a very fast paced environment, but you're right, never at the expense of safety for our employees, customers and the public we share the road with. Keep it up!

Good pay and benefits but not worth the stress

Benefits and pay were good as well as the co workers but that is all... Very poorly ran especially in the saskatoon branch. Poor work/home balance.. forced overtime most of the time, and if you turn it down you seem to be on managements hit list.. Was the best decision of my life leaving that place.

Pros

pay and benefits

Cons

management, stress, your just a number

8 July 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear your experience wasn't favourable. We work very hard to provide positive work-home life with overtime never being forced. There are, however, busier times than others and we do ask employees to work additional hours in those busy seasons. Best of luck in your future employment.

Professional company

Westcan treated me great. They are a very safe company to work for, but you also need to stay proactive with being a professional driver. Also, do your daily pre and post trips, so to be on top of mechanical service if needed. They don't expect the driver to eat the extra little costs, and that is huge when it comes to making a living. They always worked with me if I needed to take a bit of time off. They know the importance of mental stability, and know drivers can get over whelmed at times. If your honest with how you are doing, they don't mind you taking an early weekend if it's gonna be a safety issue..as long as it's not all the time, they are cool with it. They treat you as if you are the top professional for the position, so you gotta be on top of things, or maybe it's not the company for you. Several times I've tried to do a sit down to talk more production over a month by trying a few different ideas out, but they always ease back into the motto of "the turtle wins the race". it's true I guess. I've learned more about prestige in doing it right the first time, and getting the product to the customer, on time, and in a safe manner....can't beat that for being professional. Anyways, I'd definitely be proud to work for them again, if I needed to, and am thankful for the couple of years I spent there.

Pros

Secure work

Cons

Long hours, slow

29 August 2022
Thank you so much for your honest and positive review. It's too bad you have moved on. Perhaps it will work out again for you to join us in the future. All the best in your future endeavours. Thanks again for sharing your experience. We appreciate it.

Wonderful company to work for. Great staff in all departments, lots of support and mentoring.

It was a great place for me to work at, unfortunately due to previous injuries I could not fulfill the daily physical demands of the job and resigned my position. I thank Westcan for the opportunity, they're very understanding and accommodating, I voluntarily left on good terms.

29 August 2022
Thank you so much for sharing. We are sorry it didn't work out, but always appreciate our former employees who have moved on for various reasons beyond control. We hope you find satisfying employment that meets your needs. Take care and thanks again!

Good paycheck, good trucks

The company is not that bad if you're from western Canada but down here in Ontario and Quebec, the job is going down and down and down.... They've lost some contract but didn't get anything else to replace those lost... reason why a lot of good drivers has left...

Pros

Good trucks and paycheck is good when you got some hours

Cons

Looks like eastern Canada drivers are left to themselves

29 August 2022
Thank you for your comment. We continue to grow and establish ourselves in central Canada and have a lot of great opportunities on the go. You should consider reaching out and see what we have today; given that a few months have passed since you decided to leave. Take care!

A good place to work!!

Management and dispatch they are number one I never see dispatch an management like Westcan if you have the skill don’t hesitate to come to work for Westcan

29 August 2022
Thank you so much for this positive review. We do believe we have the best team in the industry supporting our Professional Truck Drivers. It takes each of us to make a difference for all of us! Thanks again. We appreciate you.

New name came but ...

To be honest the training part would be the best besides the equipments , and am sure the company invest a lot to have good driver and good work atmosphere on KAG until you come across the dispatch or office representatives, positive communication or discussion are almost no no ..they really have to move on along with the new logo and company vision not stand still as an old soldier of the westcanLot to say but hope future prove me wrong and those reviews include mine would become just a past not a reference.Ps: I seen some response from the officials to some driver make things sounds its individuals or personal issues ...its not its a review that represent every and each driver encountered in the company and when We say "company"doesn't mean KAG or westcan but means some of its employees who they may implement their own work ethic...

8 July 2022
Hi there, your review says you're a current employee. If this is still the case, please reach out to your supervisor or contact HR at HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca and we would be happy to address the concerns you have with the new branding as well as your personal experience as a driver with us. Take care.

Room for improvement

I was a seasonal driver, NH3 couldn’t ask for fairness, and pay. Ice road…Huge room for improvement, management is not a friendly place. Very argumentative and and unappreciative, as well as demanding, and threatening The camp facilities are terrible…Serious issues with breakdowns (trucks and trailers)

Pros

Camp food is good.

Cons

Bad management

29 August 2022
Thank you for your review. We can appreciate that different hauls have a different atmosphere, however we always strive to be respectful and fair. We do have our fall fertilizer season starting up again in the next few weeks. You should consider reaching out to rejoin us! Thanks again for the review. We appreciate it.

Everything is in yard fuel, wash bay, repair trailer and trucks, parts room and parking as well, everyone is there if you need help from management and maintenance.

29 August 2022
Thank you so much for this positive review. We appreciate our Professional Truck Drivers taking the time to share their current experience. It is important for others to hear from current employees. Thank you again. We appreciate you.

Hard to wright pros and cons

Hard to say but this company is the best in class. Plan ahead and will happen the best.Do not expect too much. Home safely every day or by the week end. Good equipments .

29 August 2022
Thank you so much! This is a great review. We appreciate you taking the time. It says you're a former employee. Perhaps you would consider rejoining our team again!

No driver appreciation

Another American company owned that don’t care about CanadiansThey make you work hard for low rate to keep paying unnecessary VPssssss in position Tractors full of monitoring system

Pros

Lots of work

Cons

They look for any reason to take your bonus

29 August 2022
We are sorry you feel this way and we definitely have to disagree. We work hard to recognize all employees and especially our truck drivers. We understand our company is not for everyone though. Best of luck in your pursuit of employment.

I enjoyed my time here

Fun work environment with a great group of guys. Equipment is in good shape and management not afraid to spend money on fixing issues. Would recommend working here

29 August 2022
Thank you so much! It sounds as though you shouldn't have left! Consider reaching back out!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westcan Bulk Transport. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement