Westcan Bulk Transport

Westcan Bulk Transport Employee Reviews

Co workers are great to work with but the higher management is very unorganized no communication. Pay is ok. Benefits are ok. If you want job security, don’t work here.
Pros
Co workers
24 November 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback; we agree we have great people working at Westcan! Best of luck in your future endeavours.
Current employee here, this company is if you are willing to work and be part of a team the place to work for! The company has done a lot to improve the work environment. They hold you to the highest standards but also compensate you appropriately. Good income and incentives are offered and lots of work hours even through this pandemic are available what i am greatful for. I've been here since 2017 and feel like it might be the place to retire. If you communicate with dispatch accordingly and in a timely fashion there is a lot of flexibility with your work/home balance. If you want to work, there is lots of it.Our terminal has a great culture between office staff and drivers and shop employees. Great place to work for overall!
Pros
Good pay, lots of work, good benefits, good training.
Cons
Only con is that I didnt apply earlier to get this job.
24 November 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience as a current employee. It's refreshing to read the positives that we know exist throughout the company and are the reasons so many of us choose to keep working in this great company. We will be sure to share with the Saskatoon Terminal as well; it sounds like a great fit. Thanks again.
I found that all of the Westcan people I had dealings with, to be friendly, helpful, supportive and professional. A very high degree of safety awareness. I would recommend Westcan Bulk Transport to any Truck Driver that is familiar with the "Fuel" industry, or are interested in improving and expanding their skill set.
Pros
Flexible work/life configurations, One of the better paying companies out there. Great corporate culture.
Cons
Trucking is hard. The "Cons" are more a part of the industry than this particular company.
If you can find something else then do so. If you do not fit the "family" then you get thrown out quickly as the dispatch office staff are related either by marriage or by blood. They are extremely hard on the drivers and expect you to actually be mean to them and drivers are not given the respect they deserve. I was asked a question while working there and was honest with my answer. I knew when I left the room I had sealed my fate as I spoke out against the "family" and sure enough I was let go ASAP. Very poisonous/toxic working environment.
Pros
working with great drivers
Cons
management, family related employees, bullying, favoritism and so much more
17 November 2020
We definitely agree we have great drivers; thank you for sharing. To your other points we are disappointed this is your overall impression of our company and will continue to work hard to ensure it isn't anybody else's. Best of luck in your next endeavour.
The Coquitlam branch took a really bad turn since the beginning of the year. Any equipment problems take weeks to months to be fixed since 3/4 of the mechanics quit. Takes days to get any PPE. Management has become very aggressive giving you the tone of "you should be thankful for having a job in the middle of the pandemic". The branch is missing so many drivers that they do not hesitate to send untrained drivers to do unsafe work. Dispatch is such a mess that they constantly run Stations out of fuel for hours. There are zero covid measures taken in the branch, no masks, no barriers, no social distancing. Safety is almost non existent and management is more than willing to bend/ignore their own rules in order to satisfy their customers.And the biggest joke of all is the pay. They dock or flat out refuse to pay hours you worked, out of your paycheque if you take too long to do something and you have to fight them to get it "approved".This company has turned into a joke. Nothing like when it was wheeler. Stay away, it's not worth the headaches.
Pros
Cons
Way too many
16 November 2020
We are disappointed to hear you feel this way. 2020 has definitely been a challenging year for a lot of companies. We are confident, however that we are making positive progress and are sorry you chose to leave before the full effects have been realized. We have been hiring and training in Dispatch and are working to address the Safety Department and Fleet Services concerns you mention. We do not share your opinion that Safety is not valued nor adhered to; the safety and security of our employees, customers, and those we share the roads with is our number one value. We are also very proud of the total compensation package available to our drivers. It is unfortunate it doesn't meet your expectation. We wish you the best in finding an employer that is the right fit for you.
Stressful and Disrespectful place to work. Terminal manager and dispatchers are so rude to the drivers not a peaceful environment anymore to work in the westcan. I worked with them more than a year but I wasted my whole year with them. Which only gave me stress all the time even on my off days.
Pros
Non
Cons
Lies and fake promises to the workers
19 October 2020
We are disappointed to hear you feel this way about your time at our company. We strive for professionalism in all our interactions. All employees are encouraged to reach out to their direct supervisor or HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca if they feel their concerns are not being addressed. We wish you the best in finding an employer that is the right fit for you.
Totally Dictatorship by the Terminal manager and Dispatchers are soo arrogant and rude to the drivers need to bring big changes in the management sector if they really want to save their reputation in the industry. For getting a good work you need to become a Facebook friends with the dispatchers and pleased them otherwise they treat you like a slave. Favouritism at its best in this company. They not appreciate your hardwork they only appreciate how you PLEASED them.
Pros
Cons
Lies and Fake Promises Harassing the rights of the drivers specially Lease operators.
19 October 2020
We are disappointed to hear you feel this way about your time at our company. We strive for professionalism in all our interactions and we absolutely value the hard work of our drivers and operators. All employees are encouraged to reach out to their direct supervisor or HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca if they feel their concerns are not being addressed.
I enjoy my job as the driver. Work can be stresful sometime. I enjoy working with the people. If you nice, they are nice. They are just people to trying to make business work. Terminal is big, lot to organize. Always try to accommodate my wish or prefence but not always work out. Need to be flexible. Good benefits and pension. Monay is decent.
Pros
Benefits, wage
Cons
shift could change
19 October 2020
Thank you so much for sharing your positive and honest experience working with our company! We truly appreciate our employees taking time out of their day to provide fair comments. If you're interested in exploring changes to your shift we encourage you to speak with your ATM or TM to see if there are options available that better suit you. Be well and be safe!
Really really bad people to work with ,equipments are good but sadly people are bad,they sing safety song all the time just to show ,in busy time thy close their eyes and when slow they open their eyes then they start blaming driver ,if busy keral lake loads driver can do in a day even violating hour of service ,no problem,as soon as slow down then driver to blame ,they even cheat to dot ,top level management is really bad ,some discrimination is also their ,dispatchers are mostly family or friends each other ,if you are not a yes boss kind of person then not a good place to work ,some mechanics are also bad attitude,they sing this 27 dollars per hour song all the time but at least driver work 1 hour daily for free,they cheat systematically,favertism also a part of the dispatch and manager as well ,but I came to conclusion nothing is going to change because the problem is the top person he is the one encouraging all this
If you want stress. Risk. Injury. Poor management this is the place. Money is awesome but money is not everything. You will go into super tight places. Deal with public that run over your hoses and drive threw your pylons. You have to wear full coverup even when it's 40 c.
Terminal manager and dispatchers is so arrogant and disrespectful they taking the advantage of COVID hit to the industry. In the Dispatch office nobody have a class 1 experience but they still try to taught you how to drive B-TRAIN totally unprofessional place. Safety interference alot. Stay away from this place.
Pros
They need to work on the pros
Cons
Long hours no money for the waiting doesn’t matter it’s 6 or 12 hours to the owner operators
13 October 2020
We are sorry you feel this way about our company. We strive for professionalism in all our interactions and do have very high safety expectations because the safety and security of our employees, customers, and general public is one of our core values. Employees are encouraged to reach out to their direct supervisor or HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca if they feel their concerns are not being addressed.
The company give you so much stress sometimes I felt that i was in deep stress because of them, the Terminal manager and dispatcher are rude to drivers they PUSH you for your every task and blackmail you to do more loads otherwise they don’t want you to keep in the company.Not good place to work.
Pros
Cons
Stressful, disrespectful Environment.
13 October 2020
Terminal manager and dispatchers are soo rude to the drivers I never see that many unprofessional people working at the same place. They offer $27/hr but you have to report every each minute of your working hours even for your Washroom time, give you so much stress all the time. If you love yourself don’t work for Westcan.
Pros
Cons
Need to change the management.
16 October 2020
We are disappointed to hear your experience at Westcan was not favourable. Regarding accounting for your time, this is a fundamental aspect of our hourly pay package and also aligns with Federal Hours of Service with respect to recording your work day appropriately. We understand hourly pay is not for all drivers and wish you the best of success in finding the right fit for you.
I joined Westcan after 19.5 years driving van. No btrain experience. Trained by company on hoppers and fuel. In my 21.5 years of driving this is first company that makes sense to work for.Hourly pay, guaranteed home time(weekends). Realy great medical/dental benefits. At Westcan safety is not just a slogan. Its a way of doing things. Great place to work for!
Pros
Pay, home time, all my fellow drivers. Great people!
21 September 2020
Great review, thank you for the compliment :). Very much appreciated.
Westcan is a good company, competitive wages,year around work, polite supervisors and dispatch. Always ready to help. All management really awesome. Good we’ll maintain equipment.
21 September 2020
Thank you for your comment. We are very happy to "hear" that.
I've been in the industry a long time. Westcan's new pay package is very competitive (hourly). I like my boss and dispatcher. Lots of work and high expectations, but they are fair and reasonable when personal things come up.
Pros
lots of opportunity to work, fair treatment, cares about their people, stable work and competitive pay, an industry leader
Cons
not home every night, no bluetooth allowed
21 September 2020
Nice feedback! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback.
Very discriminative work places, employees are mistreated all the time. Equipments at Westcan are maintained properly. Dispatchers are too pushy and demanding.
When I first started to work for WBT there was warm and welcoming environment. Now as you enter the office it is very cold and unwelcoming. Managers don’t welcome you or acknowledge you as everyone else sitting there. As a seasonal driver they will give you keys to a very dirty truck and you are expected to clean on arrival. They also expect you to sleep in a truck when you arrive in Edmonton and not provide you a motel room. Very pushy dispatch who are never held to accountability...they know who to push and intimidate. It’s been downhill since American owned.
Pros
Good training
Cons
No respect for drivers which is ironic.
16 October 2020
We are sorry you feel the work environment has changed. We absolutely respect our drivers! It is true the current COVID-19 pandemic has changed how we interact with our drivers and employees who work remotely. We, are, however continuing to strive for openness, even if we meet more on the phone or in the yard as opposed to in person in the office. Employees are encouraged to reach out to their direct supervisor or HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca if they feel their concerns are not being addressed.
The worst thing is that since they installed on board forward facing cameras. When an event is triggered it’s just supposed to record forward facing events, however, they will use the reflection off the windshield to catch you on your phone or not wearing a seat belt. They don’t trust their employees. Their terminal manager lies to its employees and they don’t know how to properly dispatch loads. Always having run outs.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor management and dispatch
31 August 2020
Hello. We are sorry to hear your concerns and encourage you to reach out to hrsupport@westcanbulk.ca for further follow up. Thank you,
The management are really unqualified they dont have a good skills truck always down the shops is really bad the payment is always short ! Dont waste your time and look for other trucking company ! They dont respect driver we are treated like dog!
4 August 2020
Hello. Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way. Please connect with us at hrsupport@westcanbulk.ca to review your concerns. Thank you.
Very discriminative work places, employees are mistreated all the time. Equipments at Westcan are maintain properly. Dispatchers are too push and demanding.
4 August 2020
Hello. Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way. Please connect with us through hrsupport@westcanbulk.ca to talk further about your concerns. Thank you,