Westcan Bulk Transport
Happiness score is 54 out of 100

Westcan Bulk Transport Employee Reviews

Dispatch is not the greatest

It's was a mixed bag working for KAG . Most days dispatch was making it up ad they go I.e you wouldn't have enough time for things when it came to switching from highway to city. There were maybe one or two dispatchers who were great , but most of them have no actual idea what it's like on the road which is frustrating because time management is crucial . We'd rarely get to take breaks because of thw work load. The company had slip seating meaning you share a truck that someone else sleeps in and you're left with the mess. There's no communication, half the mornings you'd get there and your truck or trailers would be gone so you loose hours there. I think they need to slow down and re think everything and then they will be a better place to work.

Pros

New trucks and satellite radio

Cons

Long hours, slip seating, comfusing dispatch

22 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with us. I have taken this message and shared it with our team to provide feedback for growth and development.We hope that in the future you consider working with us again.If you wish to share any further thoughts, you can email us at: hrsupport@westcanbulk.caThank you.

Very rules oriented

Big company with strict rules and policies for every occasion. They monitor electronically every move you make as a driver and frequently have secret safety observers watching how you load or unload. You do not have the freedom to make judgement calls. You have to report to dispatch and someone else will decide what to do should a problem arise. If you can handle big brother watching everything you do and telling you what to do, then this is paradise.

Pros

The hourly wage is tops.

Cons

Impersonal, you are just a small cog in a big machine, don't expect compliments, do expect reprimands

17 September 2021
Hello! Thank you for your comments! We do have outward-facing cameras installed in our trucks, that’s correct. They are a great resource for safety reasons and have helped on many occasions to clarify what has happened during incidents. Despite your comment, we really appreciate the positive rating! Take care.

Excellent place to work at.

I've been an employee for almost a year on a fly in/fly out basis from Montreal to Saskatoon working on super B's hoppers.I really enjoyed my time I spent with them.If It was up to me, I sure would return.Saskatoon terminal was a great place to work with.

Pros

Respect to employees, great backup from dispatch, open door to management.

Cons

Left cause I could not stay.

12 August 2021
Thank you for your great review! Keep us in mind if you see an opportunity to come back :).

All lies

When I was hired I was told I will work 5/2-5/3 like what’s posted on indeed right now. But that was the biggest lie!! Working in mines means you work 70 hrs and 24 hrs off. You have no time to go back in Edmonton to reset sometimes and if you don’t go back to work in 24 hrs dispatch will put you in a dog house. It’s like you have no family at home waiting. You work with no days off and the truck has no AC, no fridge and you work through the mines with the heat wave. It’s the cheapest in the market than what the company is advertising.

Pros

Cons

Management if full of lies

15 October 2021
Hello. Apologies for the delayed response. Thank you for your comment. We would love to talk to you about your concerns. Please reach out to hrsupport@westcanbulk.ca or speak to your supervisor. Hopefully, we can find a solution that works for everyone. Take care!

You are a number

If you work in the office you are a number. You will be used and abused. You could work yourself to death and never be appreciated. It’s westcan away or no way. You can not have an opinion. I cried a lot at my desk being overworked and under paid.

Benefits

Cons

Everything besides benefits

17 September 2021
Thank you for your comments! That’s unfortunate to hear. We encourage our employees to come forward with concerns and issues as they arise. Ideally, you speak to your supervisor, but our HR team will always have an open ear as well. All the best to you!

Challenging but mostly fun workplace

By comparison with other carriers, Westcan ranks certainly in the higher level. That being said, living in BC, is extremely expensive and I think more needs to be considered when deciding what to pay drivers when it comes to wages at least.

Pros

Fairly decent wages and benefits

Cons

Inconsistent volumes of work

25 May 2021
Thank you so much for your positive rating and honest review. Hopefully the consistency in volumes returns as we continue to move closer to post-pandemic life. Thanks again for sharing!

Good income and incentives are offered. A lot of work even during the last year which many people were out of a job we were working so we're very thankful. I'm with this company since 2017 and it has been a place to work always. also working as a shift employee is giving me a lot of free time to do something else out of my workplace. New management is so friendly and easy to work with. Our new terminal is bigger(langley) and a lot of spots to park easily for those people who want to learn back up the B-Train.The equipment is in good shape and ready.If you're willing to work it's the place to work it all depends on person to person. I highly recommend it.

Pros

Good bouns

5 April 2021
Thank you SO much for the positive rating and excellent feedback. You're right - finding a good employment fit varies from person to person, but we are sure glad you've found yours with us! Be well and be safe.

Collaborative

nice place to work. A lot of new things to learn. More and different choices for work. Competitive pay. Benefits payed from the beginning. Overall the have good benefits backage

Pros

Good pay

27 March 2021
Thank you so much for your positive review of our company. It is always nice to have representation from our current employees on these review pages. Says a lot more than those who choose or are asked to leave us! And you're right about another thing - Truck Driver inherently work long hours throughout our industry. We are working hard to provide work-life balance for all employees and especially our drivers. Thanks again.

Challenging yet rewarding

I have been a long term employee at Westcan. I started in one department and moved my way up. Then switched departments and tried a few different jobs. Thankful to have had the opportunity to advance and move around to improve my knowledge of the organization. 2020 was a challenging year with many obstacles to overcome. The branch is going through a growth stage which brings its own unique set of challenges; however, our team is resilient. Our drivers are dedicated and work together to ensure we do our best each and every day. Proud to be apart of team Red, and looking forward to a year of growth in 2021.

Pros

Benefits are great, staff is friendly, drivers go above and beyond.

Cons

Some longer hours, all worth it for positive results.

8 March 2021
Thank you so much for this honest and positive review. We are SO happy you're on our team, having persevered through one of the most challenging years on record. Onward and upward in 2021. Can't wait to see the new Terminal in person.

Decent place to work

Pay is competitive and generally lots of hours. Management doesn't like to invest in regards to updating equipment and infrastructure. Find it frustrating knowing we could be more efficient and productive.

Pros

Hourly pay, bonuses

Cons

Little support from management

5 February 2021
Thank you for your positive rating and review. Please keep sharing your suggestions with leaders as to how we can be more efficient and productive. Our investment in new tractors has been substantial these past few years and will continue to be so as we work to get the average age of our fleet trucks to new within two years!

Extremely disorganized

First week out I had nothing but problems. They assigned me a truck that was nowhere to be found. Then the trailer I was assigned was written up in their DMR system, dispatch said it was fine. It definitely was not. Half there trailers are older than I am. The driver services guys are absolute clowns. Big shots think they’re better than everyone. 10/10 would not recommend. Unless you love not being home and angry all the time.

Pros

Nice trucks

Cons

Bad management/ Junk equipment

6 February 2021
Being a truck driver in Canada is a career that has many challenges and being away from home is one of them. We are working hard to come up with creative ways to provide work-life balance for our drivers. It is too bad you didn't stick around long enough to see that. Another area we are constantly striving to improve is the driver experience from recruitment through to retirement. Thanks for sharing what occurred with your equipment; we will take the feedback as a reminder we always have to ensure the equipment is ready and in good repair for all new drivers as this is our expectation. Take Care.

There not a bad pace to work

Pay was ok, there steady year round if you're willing to haul different products. Its a big company lots of drivers don't expect to be know by name. The terminals are set up good for showers ext. They did try to work with guys for hoe time and stuff. Your pretty much micro managed there just show up and drive if any problems happen let dispatch figure it out.

Pros

Steady work

Cons

Slow trucks, lots of rookies smashing things, bad rep on the road

16 January 2021
Thank you for your honest review. Sounds like a solid 3 instead of 2 to me! We hope to have you back.

Upper management is terrible

Co workers are great to work with but the higher management is very unorganized no communication. Pay is ok. Benefits are ok. If you want job security, don’t work here.

Pros

Co workers

24 November 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback; we agree we have great people working at Westcan! Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Safe and reliable Place to work at

Current employee here, this company is if you are willing to work and be part of a team the place to work for! The company has done a lot to improve the work environment. They hold you to the highest standards but also compensate you appropriately. Good income and incentives are offered and lots of work hours even through this pandemic are available what i am greatful for. I've been here since 2017 and feel like it might be the place to retire. If you communicate with dispatch accordingly and in a timely fashion there is a lot of flexibility with your work/home balance. If you want to work, there is lots of it.Our terminal has a great culture between office staff and drivers and shop employees. Great place to work for overall!

Pros

Good pay, lots of work, good benefits, good training.

Cons

Only con is that I didnt apply earlier to get this job.

24 November 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience as a current employee. It's refreshing to read the positives that we know exist throughout the company and are the reasons so many of us choose to keep working in this great company. We will be sure to share with the Saskatoon Terminal as well; it sounds like a great fit. Thanks again.

Very generous with training. High Standards

I found that all of the Westcan people I had dealings with, to be friendly, helpful, supportive and professional. A very high degree of safety awareness. I would recommend Westcan Bulk Transport to any Truck Driver that is familiar with the "Fuel" industry, or are interested in improving and expanding their skill set.

Pros

Flexible work/life configurations, One of the better paying companies out there. Great corporate culture.

Cons

Trucking is hard. The "Cons" are more a part of the industry than this particular company.

10 December 2020
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience. We are sorry the industry is not for you. Hopefully we can continue to make improvements so it is a better fit for more people as we need a lot of truck drivers to make the country sing. Take care and best of luck in your future endeavours.

HORRIBLE work place

If you can find something else then do so. If you do not fit the "family" then you get thrown out quickly as the dispatch office staff are related either by marriage or by blood. They are extremely hard on the drivers and expect you to actually be mean to them and drivers are not given the respect they deserve. I was asked a question while working there and was honest with my answer. I knew when I left the room I had sealed my fate as I spoke out against the "family" and sure enough I was let go ASAP. Very poisonous/toxic working environment.

Pros

working with great drivers

Cons

management, family related employees, bullying, favoritism and so much more

17 November 2020
We definitely agree we have great drivers; thank you for sharing. To your other points we are disappointed this is your overall impression of our company and will continue to work hard to ensure it isn't anybody else's. Best of luck in your next endeavour.

Unbelievably badly organized management, safety, dispatch and maintenance

The Coquitlam branch took a really bad turn since the beginning of the year. Any equipment problems take weeks to months to be fixed since 3/4 of the mechanics quit. Takes days to get any PPE. Management has become very aggressive giving you the tone of "you should be thankful for having a job in the middle of the pandemic". The branch is missing so many drivers that they do not hesitate to send untrained drivers to do unsafe work. Dispatch is such a mess that they constantly run Stations out of fuel for hours. There are zero covid measures taken in the branch, no masks, no barriers, no social distancing. Safety is almost non existent and management is more than willing to bend/ignore their own rules in order to satisfy their customers.And the biggest joke of all is the pay. They dock or flat out refuse to pay hours you worked, out of your paycheque if you take too long to do something and you have to fight them to get it "approved".This company has turned into a joke. Nothing like when it was wheeler. Stay away, it's not worth the headaches.

Pros

Cons

Way too many

16 November 2020
We are disappointed to hear you feel this way. 2020 has definitely been a challenging year for a lot of companies. We are confident, however that we are making positive progress and are sorry you chose to leave before the full effects have been realized. We have been hiring and training in Dispatch and are working to address the Safety Department and Fleet Services concerns you mention. We do not share your opinion that Safety is not valued nor adhered to; the safety and security of our employees, customers, and those we share the roads with is our number one value. We are also very proud of the total compensation package available to our drivers. It is unfortunate it doesn't meet your expectation. We wish you the best in finding an employer that is the right fit for you.

Very stressful and disrespectful

Stressful and Disrespectful place to work. Terminal manager and dispatchers are so rude to the drivers not a peaceful environment anymore to work in the westcan. I worked with them more than a year but I wasted my whole year with them. Which only gave me stress all the time even on my off days.

Pros

Non

Cons

Lies and fake promises to the workers

19 October 2020
We are disappointed to hear you feel this way about your time at our company. We strive for professionalism in all our interactions. All employees are encouraged to reach out to their direct supervisor or HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca if they feel their concerns are not being addressed. We wish you the best in finding an employer that is the right fit for you.

Harassing the rights of the worker this place no respect for the drivers.

Totally Dictatorship by the Terminal manager and Dispatchers are soo arrogant and rude to the drivers need to bring big changes in the management sector if they really want to save their reputation in the industry. For getting a good work you need to become a Facebook friends with the dispatchers and pleased them otherwise they treat you like a slave. Favouritism at its best in this company. They not appreciate your hardwork they only appreciate how you PLEASED them.

Pros

Cons

Lies and Fake Promises Harassing the rights of the drivers specially Lease operators.

19 October 2020
We are disappointed to hear you feel this way about your time at our company. We strive for professionalism in all our interactions and we absolutely value the hard work of our drivers and operators. All employees are encouraged to reach out to their direct supervisor or HRSupport@westcanbulk.ca if they feel their concerns are not being addressed.

Enjoying the work

I enjoy my job as the driver. Work can be stresful sometime. I enjoy working with the people. If you nice, they are nice. They are just people to trying to make business work. Terminal is big, lot to organize. Always try to accommodate my wish or prefence but not always work out. Need to be flexible. Good benefits and pension. Monay is decent.

Pros

Benefits, wage

Cons

shift could change

6 February 2021
Thank you so much for taking the time as a current employee to share your reality. We appreciate the balanced and fair assessment of our workplace and are happy you took the time to share with others considering employment in our company. An employment relationship is definitely a two-way street (pun intended)! Be well and be safe.

19 October 2020
Thank you so much for sharing your positive and honest experience working with our company! We truly appreciate our employees taking time out of their day to provide fair comments. If you're interested in exploring changes to your shift we encourage you to speak with your ATM or TM to see if there are options available that better suit you. Be well and be safe!

Don’t waste your life with this company

Really really bad people to work with ,equipments are good but sadly people are bad,they sing safety song all the time just to show ,in busy time thy close their eyes and when slow they open their eyes then they start blaming driver ,if busy keral lake loads driver can do in a day even violating hour of service ,no problem,as soon as slow down then driver to blame ,they even cheat to dot ,top level management is really bad ,some discrimination is also their ,dispatchers are mostly family or friends each other ,if you are not a yes boss kind of person then not a good place to work ,some mechanics are also bad attitude,they sing this 27 dollars per hour song all the time but at least driver work 1 hour daily for free,they cheat systematically,favertism also a part of the dispatch and manager as well ,but I came to conclusion nothing is going to change because the problem is the top person he is the one encouraging all this

6 February 2021
Usually we try to address comments and reviews of former employees objectively, however based on the baseless and unsupported claims made in yours there appears little point. Our company is definitely not for everyone and the decision to leave (or our decision in asking you to leave, whichever it was) appears best for all. Take Care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westcan Bulk Transport. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9