Westcan Bulk Transport

Westcan Bulk Transport Employee Reviews

Canada82 reviews
Student Job
Flexible working hours, You 4*10 hour shifts which give you 3 days off. Although co-workers are nice and helpful, you're pretty much on your own. You get free food at times. Great benefits but on the other side, you get to do repetitive stuff everyday and after some time, it gets boring. Advancement is mostly for middle - top management.
Worst company to work for
Office staff are a bunch of back stabbing, 2 faced witches. Some don’t know how to mind their own businesses and think it’s their job to be office police Zero confidentiality when it comes to talking with your supervisor as everyone seems to know what you spoke about If you don’t fit in “their” click or circle consider your job gone The worst place I have ever worked!!! The only decent people are the drivers but then again you can’t talk to them They should get rid of the old battle axes and get new the ones who have been there since high school so 90 years!!!
Stay away
Terrible place to work terrible dispatch couldn’t keep track of anything. Couldn’t organize a circle I ina w house really poorly run for sure. Managed teribly
Management Style Leaves Something to be Desired
One must give credit to Westcan for instituting an hourly wage. However, Westcan had to do something when they were temporarily cut off the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. The Prison Guard management style at the Edmonton Westcan terminal causes very high employee turnover and very sad workers. As far as their treatment of drivers is concerned it would appear that the prime objectives of the Westcan managers are to:

- Degrade

- Demoralize

- Disregard

- Dehumanize

- Destroy

I suppose removing drivers dignity and self-respect may appear to make drivers more submissive and compliant but it also creates a hazardous situation.

"Assigned" Tractors at Edmonton Westcan:

"Assigned" means you are assigned to clean up after the other drivers who will also be using your tractor. The Westcan tractors are run into the ground mega-carrier style. You will be sharing your tractor with:

- Smokers

- Bedbugs

- Incompetent and inexperienced drivers who may cause hidden damage that kills you. Westcan has a steady stream of "new" drivers with varying degrees of cluelessness.

Pay at Westcan:

You will not get the pay you were promised when you were hired. Westcan has a system of treachery in place to ensure your pay comes up short. They will make you put up a long, drawn-out fight (on your own time) to get that pay.

Safety at Westcan:

The tractor shop at the Edmonton Westcan terminal is rather third-world but the mechanics do a remarkable job with the little they have. The parts budget is very small. The trailer shop also does a remarkably good job under
 - more...
Very fast paced
The atmosphere is very fast paced. All staff and management work long hours both at work and on their off time. If you enjoy working long days then this is the place for you.
Great place to work for
Westcan is a great place to work for. Great work and life balance. Staff are nice and make the place great to work for. opportunities to move up in the company
Don't work here
The place is a joke. Management will tell you what you want to hear and will non stop lie to you. They claim to have lots of work, but that is the complete opposite. They are constantly losing work to the competition and the drivers pay for it by not getting enough hours to survive. You do need a second job to work here. It's a stepping stone company. Get in, learn the job, get out.

out

work for the competition.
Horrible place to work at
the upper management have no clue what they are doing. Seems like you have to be a family member to go anywhere. they preach safety but don't have a clue....
STAY AWAY.
Amazing company to work for. Safety oriented not just of there equipment but of the driver , They dont rush you and
Amazing company to work for. Safety oriented not just of there equipment but of the driver , They dont rush you. They go out of their way to make sure you have what you need to do your job. Watch your speed as they will come down on you. But because they care about the drivers life. Invest in a GPS with a speed alert. I highly recommend this to any one
Official response from Westcan Bulk Transport
10 February 2020
We would like to thank you for your positive recommendation and amazing review! We are always thriving to meet and/or exceed expectations. Thank you!!
Good place to work. Good wage,benefits. Very strong safety culture. Manager very helpful and accommodating. From what i have seen the people who don't work out is because they don't believe in the safety culture. Very upfront with it through recruitment and on the job. Should be no surprises if they listen during the recruitment process. Many options from fulltime to seasonal and rotational.
Ok
Terminal Staff Management are awesome to work with, however on a Corporate level they couldn’t careless! A lack of empathy for the driver! Your fellow drivers are very welcoming and helpful
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No empathy at Corporate level!
Not bad if you don't mind being away from home
Not bad if you don't mind being away from home for 6 weeks at a time or up to 3 mths. Pay is good. Dispatch is ok. Term manager and safety look out for themselves and never have your back. (No all the same)
Bad management and unfriendly dispatcher, extremely stressful to work for this company. They have full regulation of safety standards but when bad things happens they will take everything to cover their behinds and accuse drivers for their mistakes. Safety standards are there only in a case if sh.. happens that they can take a money from you and mess your resume how you couldn't have open doors to leave. My advice is stay a way from this company.

My advice is to stay a way from this company.
Not sure what to write
Everyone get deferent experience so it may be a bad experience for me but for some it may be get so all I can say is go and get your own experience have nothing good or bad to say
Worked contract haul during winter
I’ve driven big trucks for 34 years and I have never been treated better at any job as Westcan treated me. They put me in a hotel for orientation and I was instructed to eat breakfast and dinner at the hotel and charge it to my room. They provided lunch at the orientation. Mind you I was on a special high paying temp job and I found the pay for regular over the road job quite a bit lower then industry standard but I heard they changed that recently. If you are looking for a company to treat you fairly and you can negotiate a decent wage for the job you are going on it’s a good company to work for.
Don’t want to recommend any one to work there.
So bad management reason I work a whole year in mine even I didn’t had sign a contract for it. I get sick and ask for a hiway run but they Deny me. What else we expect from the company where you rely with? So better if you love your self never work with Westcan
Fun place
Fun place to work in. Mostly nice people and very helpful, i would recommend this place to work for. If i wasn't relocating i wouldn't have left this job.
No comment
Safety is not as big a deal as they claim. Pay is good with bonuses. Management is poor. Co-workers, for the most part, are decent. Benefits could be a lot better.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
benefits arent great
Good company to work for
Pros: Good benefits and Insurance (not for free, but it's good one)

Cons: Lack of work

Dose not exist a perfect company to work for around the world, however exist better and worst companies, WestCan Bulk Transport, it's one of the good ones, if you avoid to see the favoritism existing there.
micro management to an absurd scale. high stress
looking over your shoulders all the time. the absurd company policies. They go as far as to supersede the federal laws. management is one of this companies biggest drawback. it would be a good company to work for if the people behind the desks let the people behind the wheel do their job and if the managers would get behind their drivers instead of throwing them under the wheels.
Pros
money is good
Cons
micromanagement, no driver trust, policies that make zero sense, and managers who have no consideration for their employees.
Good company
I regret quitting it was good place to work and now they pay by hour and its good money good benefits and new trucks that are well maintained and good dispatchers and safety
Official response from Westcan Bulk Transport
30 September 2019
Thank you for your feedback! Please check out www.DriveWithWBT.ca and feel free to re-apply.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westcan Bulk Transport. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9