West Fraser

West Fraser Employee Reviews

Great company, if you can get in as an employee. Contractors, read the fine print. I was well treated as a contractor but disposable. When the rules change evaluate your options.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
none, really.
Great place to work for an in town position. Crash and burn maintenance, little to no planning in the maintenance department, some people are not in the correct positions and people are not often managed correctly nor given key assignments. Little to no accountability for anyone..
Pros
steady work
Cons
Unfulfilling/ unchallenging
If it weren’t for the other employees, I would have quit after a few months. Management does not care an iota about employees, just profits. The money is good, the pension is solid, but you’ll figure out pretty quick that people are as good as inanimate machines to management. Such a shame, the crew is awesome and deserves better.
Pros
Solid pension if you can sell your soul.
Cons
Crooked management, toxic worksite, low morale
They want you to stay and work for them but do very little to encourage you to want to stay. Accommodations are not good. I would never ask someone to live in conditions that I would not live in. It seemed like getting certain things done was impossible.
Pros
I got paid on every second friday.
Cons
wasn't worth it.
New management is horrible. There is no equality between workers (women and men), alot of slander and negative speech between coworkers and management. I was give a apprenticeship as a millwright, but there is no support to train those taking the trade. If you are good at teaching yourself and bookwork then you will get your trade, but don’t expect the support you need. Pay is ok, but not worth the degradation you receive from management.
All jobs have pros and cons West Fraser pays very well and has pension and benefits so therefore the cons are minimal for me. Do your job and avoid the drama
Got an entry level position, and through hard work learned all the positions on the production floor in 2 years. Got an apprenticeship, which developed into a salaried supervisor position in under 10 years. Sent me to first aid courses, supervisor courses, trade shows, other divisions for training and support. Awesome job!
Good company to work for, If you work hard they promote from within very frequently. They compete with other companies very well, and are very family orientated.
Liked working there just didnt like the way the place was being run.. when I first started at westfraser I loved working there.. but then when the new management came in the whole place and the efficiency went down the drain...
I never actually was hired on. But I want to say the interview process is THE biggest waste of time. I have tried getting on for years and finally received a call and a interview. They check your references in a real weird manner. Like 1 reference call a week for 3-4 weeks. They provide no updates unless you email them. Finally found out they wanted to pass on me over a month after the initial interview. For how low they pay I figured it was a secure long term position but they act like it is a golden temple to be employed at. All my references were shocked when they heard the demeanor of HR and how they went about the process. The place is a joke, alot of current/past employees told me it wouldn't be a good idea to work there but I was doing what was best for my family. Urns out they were right as the interview process was a joke right off the bat.
Racist management at least at the mid level! A word of advice if ever being accused of something never go in the room alone because they will twist your word and straight out lie!
I enjoyed most of my time with West Frasier, my job was challenging and rewarding, and there was a strong team environment with good co workers. I left when I could no longer resolve the differences of opinion with my superintendant. This site has a great deal of potential, as well as a great deal of opportunity for advancement to someone with a strong work ethic. The biggest issue that some may find with this site is that there was a cycle of managers with a do as I say, not as I do attitude. This may be changing, as the new GM at the time when I left was very much in favor of a by the book approach to the operation of the site. I feel that this will correct the issues I found with the company, though for myself it was too little too late. I would, however, encourage anyone interested to pursue employment with the company, as it is a reliable and stable job opportunity.
As is common with most mill work the job was labour intensive. A certain amount of mechanical apptitute is always an asset and will make the job easier.
If you are willing to do more that the average person, advancement is relatively quick. Fast paced production atmosphere, good safety programs, work from -40 to + 35, no layoffs, many jobs are repetitive by nature, you will smell like sawdust at the end of the day.
Top heavy working environment. Not enough employees to do work and to many managers. Safety is number one, which is good but you better not put one foot wrong or you will go home.
I worked for WF for 14 years. I met and worked with many different managers and workers. Fast production based environment. My plant closed, so that is why I left.
Very good place to work, lots of opportunity to grow. Management treat their workers fairly. I've enjoyed my job however, I got laid off due to work curtailment.
Other company who does not care about the employees. Just make lumber. This company does not support the community they pay their taxes that’s how they support the community and they hire people. Wow for a huge company and no community support this is why we need to support the little companies.
Need to hire managers who know the rules and regulations of industry. Lots of buddy buddy politics. If you are not with the in “kids” You are not treated fairly,
Is a good, well paid production line job with a good benefit package. I was able to get my lumber grading ticket as well as my level 3 First Aid. A typical day would have me doing the final grade on the wood before it got wrapped and shipped out. The hardest part of the job some days as a supervisor in training was to get some of the people that were employed at the mill for 30+ years to buy into my way of running the mill.
12 hr shifts, 4 0n 4 off . the more u do the more they want.only pay 2 hrs of a 12 hr shift as a 4th class rest is as a forklift operator.though they use your ticket for the whole 12 hrs and u have the responsibility through out the 12 hrs
  1. Employee reviews