West Fraser Employee Reviews

good, but low pay
Export Documentation (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 October 2018
overall good work place, friendly atmosphere and good management attitude, but low pay. not much place to grow if you are not pretty young and you do not know anyone. low work life balance.
Pros
good benefit package
Cons
low work life balance, low pay
Great Work environment
Stores Wicket Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB27 June 2018
Great place to work, great coworkers, great safety aspect. I liked the atmosphere. I learnt a lot working there and i had the opportunity to work in different areas of the mill.
Pros
Great salary
Awesome
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB20 November 2017
nice place to work and get paid better with a lot of benefits not just for yourself but for your family as well. it was an amazing company were you see employee stay for 30 to 40 years
No good
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB21 April 2017
This location is not a good environment I would not recommend working here. The crew works well together but the place needs an overhaul in the upper end. Way over worked and under appreciated.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Unsafe, No appreciation for good workers.
Positive work environment,
Mechanical Engineering Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB25 March 2017
I worked one summer at Slave Lake Pulp. It was a great opportunity to apply the theoretical knowledge gained at BCIT. My coworkers at Slave Lake Pulp all demonstrated high levels of aptitude and enthusiasm towards their positions. They all came to the work place with a positive attitude and with the initiative that they can make a difference.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
N/a
Hard job but the team is good
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB20 March 2017
In this experience, I improved my English the job was more physical but the team was always here to support me when it was necessary.
It was a great experience for me moving from Quebec to Alberta even if It wasn't directly in my engineering field.
Has it's ups and downs
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB2 February 2017
Good place to work lots to do, just like anyplace it has its ups and downs. Every one on the floor try's to help one another in some way, if you have no help usually some one is able to give you a hand.
Fast paced but easy going work culture.
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Smithers, BC4 January 2017
Given how hard it can be to find a decent job even with a degree, West Fraser offers excellent job security and benefits including a pension plan for those willing to put up with a bit of wood dust on their clothes every day. Most of the stereotypical mill grunt jobs of old have been automated so todays video gamer generation can fit right in. The company offers very fair vacation entitlements based on years of completed service. While not the most exciting work field it does offer advancement opportunities for those with brains and ambition.
Pros
exc pay and benifits
Cons
Can be excedingly boring
Productive company with lots of room for advancement
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB2 September 2015
West Fraser was an awesome place to work.
We would usually start out by locking out the veneer line, blowing down the dirt, dust, and debris with an air hose. Afterward we would break up into groups and go to clean up the hog, sawmill, bucking line and bucking line basement, and anything else that needed some work done on it.
It was a very team oriented place to work, while still allowing people to work on their own. An example would be that we would break up into groups of 2 or 3 to clean out the veneer line. So, we would all be working on the same line, but each of us would have a separate task and usually be quite far away from each other.
Some of the West Fraser mills had blown up, because the small sawdust is just as flammable as gasoline, so we had to use air hoses that got a water hose hooked up to them. Altogether those hoses weighed about 50-60 lbs, so holding them up for long amounts of time turned out to be quite the challenge.
Pros
The pay and benefits
Cons
The hours - 10:30pm to 7:00 am = no social life
Productive and fun workplace
Operator (Former Employee) –  High Prairie, AB15 August 2015
Working at West Frasier was difficult at times due to not being able to hear/communicate with other co-workers, but very rewarding at the end of the day knowing you put in a day of hard work.
Being with the company I learned to be productive, and time management.
Fast Paced and demanding
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB1 June 2015
A typical work day is anything but, though the basic elements are the same from floor set up to ensuring production and safety are maintained at all times to problem solving, its a roller coaster (fun, fun, fun).
I learned that people are at the center of our business and this resource though replaceable is priceless.
Nothing but the best co-workers, funny and just great people
The hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the strongest personalities.
Seeing the joy and the pride on the employees faces when we have great days (record days)
Pros
Great Company, Great Peple
Cons
exhausting at times and extremely demanding
General Cleanup
GENERAL LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Fraser Lake BC8 May 2015
My job here was to clean under the sorter, the management treated me unfair,hardest part of that job was dealing with people who don't know how to work.There was nothing enjoyable about that job except a paycheck.
Pros
Cons
everything
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Hinton, AB13 March 2014
Its a very productive environment. Learned a lot of things
in every part of the mill in terms of operations.
Pros
Free boots allowance, good benefits insurance, retirement, medical/dental
Cons
n/a
productive, hard working environment
Clean-Up Crew (Former Employee) –  Clinton, BC17 January 2014
A typical day at work is an 8 hour shift, very hard repetitive work. I learned the safety of locking out equipment. Management was decent. I had some problems with my supervisor taking work related issues outside of work and discussing them with others. I generally worked alone, but occasionally with others. They were hard working, consistent, co-workers. The hardest part of the job, for me, was going into small spaces, having to crawl on my hands and knees, and bending over with no room to stand up. There wasn't really any enjoyable part of my work day at West Fraser.
Pros
wage
Cons
dirty, hard work
Not a good corporation to work for
trackmobile operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, BC28 October 2013
Some of the lower staff are good people with good ideas for work place safety and production improvements, however middle and upper management wont spend the time or money to implement these improvements. The upper management come across as not caring about their employees or their in put. if its not their idea its not worth their time and wont admit when their ideas arent good or that a lowly hourly employee had a better idea. Communication between department heads ,upper management and the hourly employees is poor as best.
Pros
only a few minutes from town, some of the shift foremen are great people
Cons
poor communication, poor corporate attitude.
Anything below management is honest but beware of the nest eggs if you want to advance- snakes and ladders
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Quesnel, BC2 May 2013
For being introduced to a harsh environment with expectant employees and heavy Union and long service, "OLD BOYS CLUB" It is an excellent starter company. If you want to receive input about new ideas and be a well rounded tradesmen, not so good. For the ever changing dynamic, wanting to learn kind of guy, don't work here.
Pros
None/ dont have to do much
Cons
Bad attitude no organization and lack of support