West Fraser

West Fraser Employee Reviews

Canada97 reviews
Overall decent place to work
All jobs have pros and cons
West Fraser pays very well and has pension and benefits so therefore the cons are minimal for me. Do your job and avoid the drama
Good opportunity to grow and learn
Got an entry level position, and through hard work learned all the positions on the production floor in 2 years. Got an apprenticeship, which developed into a salaried supervisor position in under 10 years. Sent me to first aid courses, supervisor courses, trade shows, other divisions for training and support. Awesome job!
Productive and fun workplace
Good company to work for, If you work hard they promote from within very frequently. They compete with other companies very well, and are very family orientated.
Meh
Liked working there just didnt like the way the place was being run.. when I first started at westfraser I loved working there.. but then when the new management came in the whole place and the efficiency went down the drain...
Waste of time
I never actually was hired on. But I want to say the interview process is THE biggest waste of time. I have tried getting on for years and finally received a call and a interview. They check your references in a real weird manner. Like 1 reference call a week for 3-4 weeks.

They provide no updates unless you email them. Finally found out they wanted to pass on me over a month after the initial interview.

For how low they pay I figured it was a secure long term position but they act like it is a golden temple to be employed at. All my references were shocked when they heard the demeanor of HR and how they went about the process.

The place is a joke, alot of current/past employees told me it wouldn't be a good idea to work there but I was doing what was best for my family. Urns out they were right as the interview process was a joke right off the bat.
Racist management at least at the mid level! A word of advice if ever being accused of something never go in the room alone because they will twist your word and straight out lie!
Fast Paced Environment with Opportunity for Advancement
I enjoyed most of my time with West Frasier, my job was challenging and rewarding, and there was a strong team environment with good co workers. I left when I could no longer resolve the differences of opinion with my superintendant. This site has a great deal of potential, as well as a great deal of opportunity for advancement to someone with a strong work ethic. The biggest issue that some may find with this site is that there was a cycle of managers with a do as I say, not as I do attitude. This may be changing, as the new GM at the time when I left was very much in favor of a by the book approach to the operation of the site. I feel that this will correct the issues I found with the company, though for myself it was too little too late. I would, however, encourage anyone interested to pursue employment with the company, as it is a reliable and stable job opportunity.
labour intensive but enjoyable
As is common with most mill work the job was labour intensive. A certain amount of mechanical apptitute is always an asset and will make the job easier.
Great stable employment with room to advance
If you are willing to do more that the average person, advancement is relatively quick. Fast paced production atmosphere, good safety programs, work from -40 to + 35, no layoffs, many jobs are repetitive by nature, you will smell like sawdust at the end of the day.
Four manangers supervising one worker.
Top heavy working environment. Not enough employees to do work and to many managers. Safety is number one, which is good but you better not put one foot wrong or you will go home.
Fast production environment
I worked for WF for 14 years. I met and worked with many different managers and workers. Fast production based environment. My plant closed, so that is why I left.
Fun workplace and lots of opportunity for growth
Very good place to work, lots of opportunity to grow. Management treat their workers fairly. I've enjoyed my job however, I got laid off due to work curtailment.
Lumber lumber lumber
Other company who does not care about the employees. Just make lumber. This company does not support the community they pay their taxes that’s how they support the community and they hire people. Wow for a huge company and no community support this is why we need to support the little companies.
Management lacks experience and knowledge
Need to hire managers who know the rules and regulations of industry. Lots of buddy buddy politics. If you are not with the in “kids” You are not treated fairly,
Fast paced production line
Is a good, well paid production line job with a good benefit package. I was able to get my lumber grading ticket as well as my level 3 First Aid. A typical day would have me doing the final grade on the wood before it got wrapped and shipped out. The hardest part of the job some days as a supervisor in training was to get some of the people that were employed at the mill for 30+ years to buy into my way of running the mill.
bigger plate every day
12 hr shifts, 4 0n 4 off . the more u do the more they want.only pay 2 hrs of a 12 hr shift as a 4th class rest is as a forklift operator.though they use your ticket for the whole 12 hrs and u have the responsibility through out the 12 hrs
Great money
The job itself is very hard but the pay is really good. It’s onkg two days a week which also gives a person time to relax in between shifts which is nice
Fun, friendly work environment. Depending on department you can be independent or work collaboratively. Salary is very competitive.
West Fraser is a great company to work for. There are lots of opportunity within the company to grow your career and get desired training. There is a portion of the job for you whether you like working alone or with others, out in the forest or in the office all in your own pace (within reason). Salary is great and job is fun
Pros
Salary
Cons
Experience depends on your coworkers
Acceptable
My coworkers did not like the fact that I was not like them and finished a lot of schooling, but then they liked me.

More responsibilities, but no room for advancement from day one.
you can advance quickly or never
job advancement is based on how management likes you not on job performance or credibility for the position and seniority is thrown out the window, also the lack of regard for safety is ridiculous as apparently safety regulations only apply to employees not anyone in management .
Pros
benifits
Cons
every man for himself
Toxic environment
Pay is not to bad. Hours are bad for the maintenance end , straight graveyards or weekends. Which means 7 days a week if you want overtime. GM's that want their boots licked all the time and think they know everything. Putting people that have absolutely no experience into positions that they have no business being in just cause the have a 2 year degree in wood processing. Then you just watch the place get run into the ground. Letting people go that really can do thier jobs but are not yes men. If you like drama and office politics give this toxic environment a try. Other then that stay away!!!!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Fraser. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9