West Elm

West Elm Employee Reviews

easy work was a relaxed environment and decent money. I have not worked there in a few years, but at the time I enjoyed it, was an easy job to have while in highschool.
Great people to work with, felt like a family. Management was very helpful. Work hours inconsistent. Early mornings unloading product before store opens 7am Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays. Overall great company to work for but hard to get hours close to full time.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Pay, hours
West elm New york have a very toxic culture. If you like what you do as a designer do your self a favor and skip this company.As a designer, you must do all the customer service work for the angry customers who did not recieved their purchase itens on time.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
Minimun age for qualified designers
Its a very good place to work at, theres a good energy surrounding the workplace, I love that. Managers are always available to help no matter what. Pay is not bad.Hours are good and flexible, but having to work EVERY sunday and saturday isn’t very good. At first, it is OK, but sometimes you want a weekend of to do things with family and friends.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not sure yet
A horrible, toxic place. Seemed to be really nice at the beginning, but they only care about targets and sales. If you work as a home stylist and expect your role to be creative, just don’t. All that matters is to make some money out of your customer, so you don’t have too much time to work on your presentation. You will face a lot of stressful customer service issues you can do nothing about, and the management will often ignore helping you.
I’ve worked for West Elm for a year now. It’s a great brand and culture. They are all about diversity and inclusion. They really care about employees (example: they continued to pay employees during the COVID shut-down). Pay is great - far above average for retail. Scheduling is very flexible and work/life balance is encouraged. Management is great and work to promote from within. The biggest problem I have working here is that our product fulfillment can be awful. Sometime customers have to wait 6+ months for their furniture to arrive AFTER the scheduled delivery date! It makes it hard to sell when I can’t stand behind our promises.
Pros
Above average pay, fun environment, great work/life balance
Cons
Can’t stand behind product/service
This is a very socially-minded company that wants to source its products in the most sustainable and conscientious way possible. At the store level, it's any other retail job.
Pros
Flexible breaks
Cons
Little recognition
I find that working out West Elm was a very enlightening and overall great experience and definitely taught me a few things and made me a much more experienced person in the industry
Pros
Great place
Cons
Hours differed too much
The Store I worked in had an incredible staff, we supported each other and helped each other in a time of need. Management on the other hand, expecially upper management gave us no direction, was never open to new ideas (although they say they are), rarely were available when in need and never responded to staff when question were asked or when needed. . The sore worked well because of the staff that was on the floor and working with the clients. I would say apply and work here if you want an independent second job, but not because if your looking for advancement.
Pros
staff, customers, product knowledge
Cons
Upper management, pay, and could not give you a set schedule
I loved my time as a stock associate because of my team. They were extremely supportive and felt like family. Can be stressful at times but everyone wanted to help out and create a fun environment.
In a typical day of a stock associate, you will open boxes of furniture, assemble, and bring them up into the store floor. It's a decent job to help you learn basic skills of a stock position.
Pros
Great first job to learn skills
Cons
Not great management
I gained a large variety of new skills while working at West Elm. The environment was healthy, positive and diverse. The brand focused on the staff, customers and giving back.
I have spend my years of carrer as a sales assocaite and I have enjoyed and will keep on enjoying in coming days to come despite whatever the circumstances. I want to keep myself busy and always ready to assist costumers because costumers are the ones who makes the business moving forward.
The store itself is beautiful and it is easy to maintain standards and keep it clean. Due to the high volume of tourists, there is a lot of online ordering within the store that takes up a lot of the designers' time. This can make it difficult to jump from customer to customer. Managers are easy to work with and cashier programs are user friendly.
Some of my friends have worked or currently work at West Elm. Like any large business they take advantage of employees; extremely low pay $14 an hour even after years of working there. Cut everyone to 70% pay during pandemic so they wouldn't qualify for unemployment or $600 Federal PUA. There is no culture or management caring for employees; extremely high turnover and staffing shortages.
Just don't work for them. I worked for West Elm as I thought I could advance to corporate management and work with the lead design team in the future. They don't like to look within their own company and utilize each skill set a person has to offer. It's a shame.
This company is an amazing company and does a lot to treat its employees right. However the work life balance isn't always there. Especially for the management team members.
The worst part is definitely customer service issues which I have to deal with a lot. Customers get mad that we never offer free shipping on furniture and there's a lot that isn't explained to customers that associates then have to explain and get the brunt of the anger.
Challenging, hectic environment with high expectations, but team support and full availability of management make it possible. Dynamic, diverse, sophisticated. Great place to start a career in design consulting
Pros
Great management, dynamic fun workplace
Cons
Hard to break from part time to full time with benefits
In over 15 years of retail I have never worked for a company as chaotic as this. Trust all the customer and employee reviews saying how terrible the environment is.
You have the opportunity to be creative and style homes. The discount is also a good pro. The customers are mostly friendly and the work environment is a friendly one.
  1. Employee reviews