West Corporation

West Corporation Employee Reviews

Canada40 reviews
Productive and fun
Excellent work/life balance. Supportive management and many interesting projects. Some weekend work might be required. Employees are treated very fairly.
Co-workers were pleasant for the most part but alot of gossip and favouritism in leadership positions
Honestly I would not recommend anyone working there unless your not starting as a regular webinar host. I worked in sales and dealt with some of the most successful and eccentric executives in the world, there was only 5 people (out of 200+) that had my job , everyone else were glorified slaves , with the exception of management
Good
Good company to work for. Very laid back and every one was nice. Management was very good and did not bother you if work was done.
Great location for work.
Company Group Plan was good
The Group Plan was great, with the company matching the RRSP contribution up to 6%. Great people to work with, not just in your location but in other locations as well.
Pros
Free Monthly Lunch
Cons
Fast Paced
Great location, good team, new technologies
Great location, good team, new technologies, modern environment.
But upper management disconnected from work force and nobody appreciates professionals.
Profit-driven-only company
This was an okay company to work for before Apollo took over. It then became nothing more than a profit mill for them. They fired hundreds of people, and have been working everyone else to exhaustion. Everyone feels that they can be next to go at all times. Overwhelmingly intrusive management from the top. They asked us to write up our goals, and then basically dictated to us what we were supposed to paraphrase. Heavily controlled with the attempted illusion that your voice counts for something. Not at all the fairly pleasant place it used to be. Apollo is just another Wall Street entity that is about nothing other than greed.
Pros
Flexible about working from home
Cons
Poor job security; poor benefits and compensation; extremely top-heavy management
Company culture used to be great but went downhill
I love the people I worked with. They are all hard-working, dedicated and talented people. The company used to invest in employee engagement - with events once or twice a year, chances to meet the people in other offices, pretty decent snacks, and an investment in developing the management skills of the managers (like myself). However after we were acquired by yet another huge company all of those things ended; people from each office whose responsibilities included making the office a fun place to be were let go, and security cameras went up everywhere.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low morale
Good environment, lots of things to learn in a dynamic technological field
Had a lot of exposure to new VOIP technologies with all the changes that are happening in that field. Learn a little about different PBXes.
Not a boring place, as I had access to different Customers environments, each with their own challenges.

The worst part was the location for me.
Pros
The ability to manage the projects yourself, with not very much stressful time constraints.
Cons
Not a very good inter-departmental communication.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at West Corporation?
Flexible and Good place to work
It is good place to work that gives you flexibility to work.
Right now management is struggling to make ends meet as they are trying to cut budget from everywhere possible. That has become a disappointment and demotivating factor for employees.
Pros
Flexible Environment
Cons
Budget Issue, Limited growth
You might make some friends there
Work hours are very flexible/ability to work from home, depending on the department. Tasks are tedious. Probably suitable for first-year students. Facility is nice and is in a quiet.
Work environment is friendly. Poor management
Flexible work hours in certain teams. Co-workers are very friendly. Management of my team is poor, non-professional, and emotional. It makes the job harder when management doesn't know the technic and procedure of our work. That takes up hours of work time to explain when they have questions.
Not a Call Center
Fast paced at times, lots of overtime available, good benefits, able to move up if motivated. Great upper management, lots of incentives, company lunches.
Little experience to gain
A few of the senior level managers were easy to work with but the majority were difficult and unwelcoming to communicate with. It was so prevalent that most of the office became callous to each other naturally.
Pros
Quiet environment
Cons
Toxic workplace culture, lots of downtime until something breaks and then stress levels escalate
The company is no longer in Canada
I did not enjoy working here. They were very by the policy, to the point of ridiculous. I needed a doctors note, reverifying my high risk pregnancy every 30 days or lose my accommodation of a cubicle near the washroom to facilitate frequent sickness. Seemed very silly to me.
Amazing way to make money
The pay here is stable and the work hours are as well. Once you are in and settled there is an amazing benefits plan and the company draws a wonderful crown of coworkers. Sadly the company is run out of the USA and many of the companies policies and procedures are reflective of their you are a number, not a person work ethic.
Cons
Poor HR employee relations, customer first employee later, very poor awareness of mental health concerns and their interactions with the workplace.
Overall it was a great place to work and I was sad to leave. If I had the chance I would return to a position at this employer. The wage could be higher but the hours are good.
Results Oriented Environment
Perfect environment for bringing out your creativity and producing the desired results in a timely manner and at the same time it's very relaxed & stress free.
Great Place to work
Friendly Environment , Great Teamwork Experience , People are really helpful and motivational. There are many fun activities & events happens in the company .
Toronto office in flux
- Micromanagement in the implementation department.
- Lack of resources to get the work done in a reasonable amount of time.

- Lack of trust between managers and workers.

- Expect to work weekends, at the very least during the summer months, to keep up with the workload.

- Most of the people are great.

And in conclusion, I will quote the band Naked Eyes, from their song "Promises Promises":

"You made me promises promises

You knew you'd never keep

Promises promises

Why do I believe"

(Amen)
Pros
Stocked kitchen.
Cons
Please... do not get me started.
Review of West
This has previously been completed.
Good benefits

Canadian holidays off

Upper management makes it a fun place to work

Easy job for the most part

Paid training
Pros
Canadian Holidays off
Cons
Pay is low
Not for strong personalties
The management operates on the "only about yourself" basis. Hence, as long as you look out for yourself, and follow policies and procedures, you will be just fine. However; if you have the type of personality where you do not want to be treated as a number, or as a child in daycare. A person who actually HAS opinions...this is not the place for you! Unfortunately, it is only the individuals who have that classic "two face" personality who are given the chance to advance here. Those who prefer to keep quiet, keep their head down, and follow the leader without ever questioning right or wrong. Not for those who naturally have charisma and stand out of the crowd.
I won numerous Employee of the Month awards, received many kudos by clients & co-workers, had flawless data entry. Yet, I was never given the chance to advance within three years of working here. This is why they have "high turnover rates", people would like to be treated with respect. Not like their job is easily replaced by someone who costs less to hire.

A typical day of work was eight hours of answering incoming calls, specified data entry, and scheduling reservations or completing account creations. Very easy to do, can be quite enjoyable. However, the wage per hour does not constitute the stress placed on you by Intercall management. Hence their full-time benefit package, it includes stress therapies as well as massage. The workplace as a whole was not positive, it was every man for themselves, and pinned person against person. I feel for a company to truly be a positive place to work: you must feel your job
 - more...
Pros
Incentive awards, costume days, & BBQ events.
Cons
Atmosphere and Management