West Coast Kids
Happiness score is 31 out of 100

West Coast Kids Employee Reviews

Canada43 reviews

Can be a fun place to work if you get on managements good side early, otherwise very tense.

As a former employee of the company I can say that turnover is so high that almost every month there’s a batch of three or four staff that come in to get trained and maybe one sticks around for more than a month. A few were so done with the poor treatment of staff and tactlessness of management that they clocked out and walked off the job or just never came back in. Schedules are never posted in a reasonable amount of time, and it’s next to impossible to ask for time off or schedule accommodations because management is so unapproachable. Part of the senior team is so cliquey that gossip is an issue as well, so it makes the working environment tense. Training is also a disorganized mess, it seems structured at first but it is not consistent so not all staff are equally trained. Wage compensation is also not worth the stress of the job, the level of knowledge and customer service you have to provide, plus whatever additional tasks you might be given, it makes you feel overworked and under paid. It’s the closest thing to a commission based sales job without the perk of commission. Also don’t expect a raise for taking on more responsibility either. If you’re considering a position here I would recommend against it until management gets an overhaul.

Pros

Seeing babies every day, Helping new parents get set up for their new family is incredibly rewarding

Cons

Cliquey and unapproachable management, Low wage to job expectations, Inconsistent training, High turnover

Fun Place to work, horrible in every other way

I worked here for a couple of months, at first I was excited t work for a well known high end company. but after about a week you start to see the toxic work environment they have created, very must high school drama. The management choose favorites and if your not one or if you have a different opinion you are pretty much shunned from knowing anything. No work life balance, schedule was put up day before or day off, I was told in the interview we would be off way earlier than we actually were. I found there was no care for people who didn't have children at home, it was like their work life balance didn't matter.

Insights into West Coast Kids

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Consider yourself lucky not to be there

There is nothing positive I can say about west coast kids. Worst job I ever had that was so mentally and physically draining. If you don’t just nod and agree with everything going on you will find yourself being bullied until you just quit by senior members of the staff. Upper management does not care about anyone below them.

Average Retail Job

Worked here for a few years at the Toronto location. I'd say it's your average retail environment. You get the odd nasty entitled customer, but generally it's a friendly environment. I got along well with management, though some other employees did not. Sometimes it can be frustrating because everyone high up in the company is out west, so the Toronto location sometimes felt like a second thought, perhaps it's better now that they have added a second location.

Awful

Overall, this is a terrible place to work. The negativity and pettiness management exudes will eventually drive you crazy. Training is a joke. This company has been around for long enough that they should have a solid training program but they don't. Instead, sales associates are left looking like idiots in front of customers because management does very little to train their staff.

Cons

Fast paced, challenging work.

Excellent work for driven, committed employees. Lots of product knowledge is expected of you, but they commit a good amount of time to training. Very collaborative environment, and full of friendly faces.

Pros

Great hours, You see babies everyday

Cons

It was fun at first but as time went by, you begin to notice the negativity of the environment.

There is alot of backstabbing and mostly coming from the management. They think they are better than everyone. the associates are nice and so is the management(at first) but as you are there you begin to realize the kind of work environment it is. Its a very beautiful store but with all the activities they make you do it isn’t worth it the pay. So save yourself and don’t even bother.

Pros

n/a

Cons

long hours, not enough pay, negative workplace environment, mentally draining

Owners need to change.

Not a good place to work, the staff are overworked and stressed out constantly. In about a year and a half, nearly 20 people have left my location and most of the remaining staff is actively seeking other employment.The remaining staff is being worn thin so that the company can save a dollar by having less people to pay and expect the same level of work as team twice the size could provide.This place is starting to feel like the kind of job people go to until they find a better employment opportunity.

Pros

Steady hours

Cons

Stressful work environment

ok place to work, but could do better with training and treating employee's

I got hired at the north location and worked there for about 2 months and on one of my days off I got a very brief email saying I was fired because my product knowledge was not satisfactory. That was it, no phone call or greater explanation just a one paragraph email with no warning. I'd only been there for 2 months and there is a TON to learn and I was asking questions a lot because I'm just a slower learner, but I genuinely thought I was improving and feeling more confident in my job. No one gave me any warning that I was behind in-fact I was told multiple times that I wasn't expected to know everything right away and it takes time. Left a very bitter feeling towards the place cause they were very inconsiderate the way they handled things by not giving me any warning or proper explanation.

Don't work here if you care about your mental health

Management is rude, not willing to help and constantly tries finding fault in you even when you've been doing the same task for months. You will be given different instructions from different people and then get ready for long speeches about what you did wrong. Most stuff is not even important to you considering your wage and there is a high possibility that the manager will do stuff the wrong as well. Staff is non supportive, trying to point fingers at each other and always try to make you feel inferior about yourself being a new hire. Mind me you'll be called "new" even after good 6-7 months here. You'll really know what it likes to be working at a small business because you will end up working late hours and on tasks that are not even a part of your job description.The setting needs more computers to sustain high staff volume. Waiting time makes it frustrating for customers as well as employees. The break room is a small table in the office which is always occupied with people chit chatting. And breaks are never really breaks because get ready to listen to the staff yelling at each other in the office. People are going to be in your space, will touch you even when you ask them to respect your boundaries. Don't expect confidentiality from your manager because the the entire store is gonna know your life story the next day. And never ask for a leave because people will hate you and your coworkers are gonna cover your section + theirs and will probably asked to stay overtime. Overall, a very toxic environment with no scope of growth.

Pros

Shift timing, staff discount

Cons

Everything else

Most toxic work environment driven by leadership

If you every want to work at a toxic, cut throat, demeaning and belittling company, this is your place. Driven by the owner and management team - they have no respect for their employees, a true disregard for work life balance and they bread paranoia and conflict among teams. They do not invest in technology, tools and resources to support their staff. There is no recognition or "human-ness" from the leadership team. This company is a mirage - looks great on the outside but a complete toxic environment once you are in.

Pros

Not one thing

Toxic

I got hired at the Calgary North location. I was super excited for the job and was told by the manager I was quite qualified. I worked there for 1.5 months. Not long into the start of the job, the other employees were very rude. One lady impartiality, she always made rude comments and treated me like scum. All the employees goes behind each others back to complain about each other. There was so much drama. The work life balance is horrible. I spoke with the manager who told me I was doing great. One day I went in for my shift. 1 hour after I got home from that shift they sent me an EMAIL telling me I was fired. There is 0 job security, very rude employees, and 0 care for the employees. Do not work here if you are looking for a friendly enjoyable work place.

Pros

Great customers

Cons

Rude employees

Management will try to break you

The atmosphere between workers is fine but when looking at management, they don't care who you are and try to flex whatever power they have over you. Like I have never seen anyone try to belittle their employees so much, just because the employee keeps to theirself and tries to get the work done without being "friends" with everyone. The management here should be revised so that the company doesnt have such a high turnover rate. I have seen people come in for 2 days and quit because of the management at Westcoast. The managers I had were snakes, in the sense that they would tell you to do something and then when they don't like it, its all your fault because they can't take responsibility for what they had you do. I have personally seen them tell employees to take a product home so they can bring it to another store the next day, and then they gave the employee trouble when the owner found out and reemed them out for it.

Pros

Pretty easy general work day and lots of hours

Cons

management doesn't care about employees

Worst Job I've Ever Had.

I was constantly yelled at and embarrassed in front of other employees. My personal life was gossiped about from an employee I thought was a friend, to my managers. Who then treated me horribly and went around asking my fellow employees if they had seen anything I had done that they could fire me for. They couldn't fire me because I never did anything wrong. They forced extra work on me knowing I was PREGNANT. They didn't care about me at all. And I later found out that they were paying me less than everyone else at the store. Even tho I had more retail experience than some of them. It made coming to work very depressing for me. But I needed the hours for mat leave. I even witnessed a customer verbally attacking one of the other employees and when she tried to go to my boss for help she told her to "suck it up" instead of going out there and supporting her employee! Just absolutely disgusting behavior that I have never seen at any other job I've ever had. Super toxic.

Pros

the other employees are wonderful and make the job a bit easier to force yourself to go to.

Cons

management sucks. They don't care about the employees at all.

the worst management system i've ever seen

Worked there for over 2 years and didn't get any respect from management, especially the store manager who was a snake that was into power tripping all of her employees. And to make it worse they didn't, apparently, pay every staff members the covid premiums because they only paid people they talked to about it. When I say the managers are people who are power hungry and try to use it against you, im not even saying it as a disgruntled employee who left on bad terms as im still here , I say this as a warning for whoever reads it and is thinking about working here

Pros

easy work, hours are long so easy pay, and a lot of down time

Cons

management tries to use what power they think they have over you and

Avoid working here.

worked at a winnipeg location and the environment ( management) wise was very toxic. They will switch your schedule around and not even tell you. Force you to work " mandatory " Overtime and no one says anything cause they all fear their hours will randomly get cut. Treat you like you owe the company everything. Very toxic environment. RUN as fast as you can!!!

Pros

The people you work with are absolutely amazing !!

Cons

poor management, CEO doesnt care either

Horrible Managment

You start off the day with regretting the fact you started working here. The management is the most horrible back wards working management I've ever had to deal with in my whole entire life. The main manager in Winnipeg is a narcissist, hypocrite, and contradict literally everything that she does and says. She will choose favorites, those who suck up or related to her. However, she will back stab them too at some point. The Web supervisor is actually nice and understanding in a lot of situations but her decisions are heavily influenced by the main manager. the supervisor and the store manager are the only good managers in the company. Every other manager is beyond horrible. The company will not appreciate anything that you do in the slightest (pizza lunches do not count as appreciation). Keep in mind that if you start in a certain position you will end up working in 2+ more departments than what you originally got hired for. You can ask for a raise, however, it will be the most minimal amount despite how many positions and departments you work at. You will always be threatened with your job security. The main manager would say that you need to be glad to have a job, as a matter of fact they need to be glad that the people who work there are still working there and put up with all the stuff they throw at you and there will be a lot of it. You cannot have work/life balance due to the manager just stressing you out all day and unfortunately that carries home. Your mental health will be effected in a very bad way, a low paying job should not put you through this. Avoid the shipping -

Pros

Amazing co-workers, Pizza lunch once every few months

Cons

No job security, Bad management, You will HAVE to work other departments but will not get paid more for it

Its ok to work there as a new experience

It's a good job interms of learning new things about babies and parent life but the store managment need to work together a bit more and give a little more care and concern to their employees

Pros

Being pregnant and working where u learned about baby safety

Cons

Being asked if your hungry while being pregnant

Fun Workplace

Friendly & helpful staff. Enjoy working with WCK Team & Management. Learned about more baby gear items and baby product. Got more knowledge about needs for new parent. Enjoy every day at work.

Like to be around positive people

Nice place to work people are helpful and friendly nice to be around they are positive and always trying to help me when I’m busy or I help them when they need help from me

Not worth it... A waste of time to be abused by people above you.

I worked at West Coast Kids last year, and to sum it up, this job was awful. I was scheduled hours I stated I was unable to work, expected to do things not stated in the job description, and bullied by parts of management. Workers are not friendly and have no desire to be nice to new hires. Many workers are not properly trained and areas are not properly staffed. If you are hired, expect to be stationed alone and overwhelmed by the amount of customers you’ll have to deal with. Fellow employees will not care about your feelings or boundaries. Watch out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Coast Kids. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement