West Coast Kids

West Coast Kids Employee Reviews

The atmosphere between workers is fine but when looking at management, they don't care who you are and try to flex whatever power they have over you. Like I have never seen anyone try to belittle their employees so much, just because the employee keeps to theirself and tries to get the work done without being "friends" with everyone. The management here should be revised so that the company doesnt have such a high turnover rate. I have seen people come in for 2 days and quit because of the management at Westcoast. The managers I had were snakes, in the sense that they would tell you to do something and then when they don't like it, its all your fault because they can't take responsibility for what they had you do. I have personally seen them tell employees to take a product home so they can bring it to another store the next day, and then they gave the employee trouble when the owner found out and reemed them out for it.
Pros
Pretty easy general work day and lots of hours
Cons
management doesn't care about employees
I got hired at the Calgary North location. I was super excited for the job and was told by the manager I was quite qualified. I worked there for 1.5 months. Not long into the start of the job, the other employees were very rude. One lady impartiality, she always made rude comments and treated me like scum. All the employees goes behind each others back to complain about each other. There was so much drama. The work life balance is horrible. I spoke with the manager who told me I was doing great. One day I went in for my shift. 1 hour after I got home from that shift they sent me an EMAIL telling me I was fired. There is 0 job security, very rude employees, and 0 care for the employees. Do not work here if you are looking for a friendly enjoyable work place.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Rude employees
I was constantly yelled at and embarrassed in front of other employees. My personal life was gossiped about from an employee I thought was a friend, to my managers. Who then treated me horribly and went around asking my fellow employees if they had seen anything I had done that they could fire me for. They couldn't fire me because I never did anything wrong. They forced extra work on me knowing I was PREGNANT. They didn't care about me at all. And I later found out that they were paying me less than everyone else at the store. Even tho I had more retail experience than some of them. It made coming to work very depressing for me. But I needed the hours for mat leave. I even witnessed a customer verbally attacking one of the other employees and when she tried to go to my boss for help she told her to "suck it up" instead of going out there and supporting her employee! Just absolutely disgusting behavior that I have never seen at any other job I've ever had. Super toxic.
Pros
the other employees are wonderful and make the job a bit easier to force yourself to go to.
Cons
management sucks. They don't care about the employees at all.
Worked there for over 2 years and didn't get any respect from management, especially the store manager who was a snake that was into power tripping all of her employees. And to make it worse they didn't, apparently, pay every staff members the covid premiums because they only paid people they talked to about it. When I say the managers are people who are power hungry and try to use it against you, im not even saying it as a disgruntled employee who left on bad terms as im still here , I say this as a warning for whoever reads it and is thinking about working here
Pros
easy work, hours are long so easy pay, and a lot of down time
Cons
management tries to use what power they think they have over you and
worked at a winnipeg location and the environment ( management) wise was very toxic. They will switch your schedule around and not even tell you. Force you to work " mandatory " Overtime and no one says anything cause they all fear their hours will randomly get cut. Treat you like you owe the company everything. Very toxic environment. RUN as fast as you can!!!
Pros
The people you work with are absolutely amazing !!
Cons
poor management, CEO doesnt care either
The company prides itself on bein a family company and caring for employees. There are some good things like decent pay and benefits but actions speak louder then words Staff and managers were not properly compensated for working during the pandemic unfortunately The other concern is how cheap the company is, thrre are no extra perks or rewards and no recognition there are no
Cons
Really really long hours. No recognition or extra pay for pandemic.
You start off the day with regretting the fact you started working here. The management is the most horrible back wards working management I've ever had to deal with in my whole entire life. The main manager in Winnipeg is a narcissist, hypocrite, and contradict literally everything that she does and says. She will choose favorites, those who suck up or related to her. However, she will back stab them too at some point. The Web supervisor is actually nice and understanding in a lot of situations but her decisions are heavily influenced by the main manager. the supervisor and the store manager are the only good managers in the company. Every other manager is beyond horrible. The company will not appreciate anything that you do in the slightest (pizza lunches do not count as appreciation). Keep in mind that if you start in a certain position you will end up working in 2+ more departments than what you originally got hired for. You can ask for a raise, however, it will be the most minimal amount despite how many positions and departments you work at. You will always be threatened with your job security. The main manager would say that you need to be glad to have a job, as a matter of fact they need to be glad that the people who work there are still working there and put up with all the stuff they throw at you and there will be a lot of it. You cannot have work/life balance due to the manager just stressing you out all day and unfortunately that carries home. Your mental health will be effected in a very bad way, a low paying job should not put you through this. Avoid the shipping - more...
Pros
Amazing co-workers, Pizza lunch once every few months
Cons
No job security, Bad management, You will HAVE to work other departments but will not get paid more for it
It's a good job interms of learning new things about babies and parent life but the store managment need to work together a bit more and give a little more care and concern to their employees
Pros
Being pregnant and working where u learned about baby safety
Cons
Being asked if your hungry while being pregnant
Friendly & helpful staff. Enjoy working with WCK Team & Management. Learned about more baby gear items and baby product. Got more knowledge about needs for new parent. Enjoy every day at work.
Nice place to work people are helpful and friendly nice to be around they are positive and always trying to help me when I’m busy or I help them when they need help from me
I worked at West Coast Kids last year, and to sum it up, this job was awful. I was scheduled hours I stated I was unable to work, expected to do things not stated in the job description, and bullied by parts of management. Workers are not friendly and have no desire to be nice to new hires. Many workers are not properly trained and areas are not properly staffed. If you are hired, expect to be stationed alone and overwhelmed by the amount of customers you’ll have to deal with. Fellow employees will not care about your feelings or boundaries. Watch out.
I worked at the WKK Bayview location for close to a year before deciding to get as far away from this company as possible. If I had to type out every single reason this job made me absolutely miserable I’d be here for a while. I have nothing good to say about this location or this company. A disorganized/overworked management team (with a completely intolerable store manager), no actual training, dark/moldy/wet “stock rooms” and just a general sense of lack of appreciation for the hard work my coworkers and I put into the store was what I got from working here. I met some cool people and learned a lot of valuable information on baby/child care but other than that I can’t not recommend this job more. It’s a shame what money and control does to people.
The job environment is awful. Even though I improve my communication skills, it was very stressful and too much work for no reason. Manager is very rude and you are always watched or targeted. Very bad environment to work in. I think they forget that employees are humans too.
When the Toronto store first opened it was fantastic, then management changed and it was downhill from there. The current manager is disorganized, two faced, would pin employees against one another, and unprofessional. As the other reviews said, you would work an 8 hour shift with a 30 minute unpaid break, and if you were desperate for a snack anytime after... well good luck. You were required to stay AT LEAST one hour after closing to make sure everything was perfect, and with little help from management. They are unkind to their staff and when you come with them to a problem a customer has with store policy, they turn around and side with the customer. Do yourself a favour and stay away from this miserable place!!
1. Management is horrible. For each month, the manager has to take at least a week vacation. Different managers have different view-point and you are "forced" to choose a side, and it was terrible. They are quite abusive emotionally and show bias to whoever sell the most. 2. For every 5 hour shift, you have a 30min UNPAID break. Most shifts usually end 30min after the expected end time (so, it rounds up to you have no break at all). 3. Co-workers like to steal sales from the new people (i.e, they like to "take over" your customers and make you little in front of everyone). Managers say that everyone is collaborative, not it's only on the surface. BULLYING is real at the workplace. 4. Co-workers constantly go back on their words (ex: they say one person only has to do closing duties once a week, but if you're the only new person there, you are expected to do the dirty cleaning all the time). 5. Training is minimal. You are expected to learn everything by yourself. Each co-workers will give conflicting information about the products. 6. The wage is okay, but the hours suck. 8-hours of constant walking, and the bus nearby is once every half hour. TLDR: the wage is nice, but everything else is horrible (especially for warehouse workers). Don't work here unless you need quick money.
Company is amazing. They have 9 stores all across Canada. Several convenient locations in British Columbia. They also have an extensive website!! The manager is amazing. Spent several hours chatting with her. Through our conversation learned a lot about the company. How they operate. What their vision is. And what they value. The employees are super polite friendly sincere. You know the company is good. When the employees are good. When the employees are polite it’s a reflection of the company, the kind of people they hire. Work day will include opening, assisting customers, end of day clean up. And group huddles with lots of coaching tips.
Pros
Quick 22 mins commute, great pay, benefits, hours, fixed scheduled days, short Sundays (only 6 hours!!)
Cons
I would say that majority of the issues stem from the small staff at West Coast Kids locations. Its a store that sells to parents with money, so associates need to be knowledgeable in everything and anything. Training is provided, and there is ample time to practice and research, but when issues arise or questions need to be asked, no one is free. It's the closest thing to a commission job without being one. You will be reminded of your financial burden to the company to keep you if you begin to look like you're under performing. It's not a horrible company, but you do need to approach it as if you are going to be the head of the company and not a simple sales associate.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
No room to breathe
There is nothing good to say about West Coast Kids. This is the worst place to work. Management is emotionally abusive and unprofessional. Training is nonexistent There is no chance for promotion. Customers will yell at you because of story policies but management will side with the customers making you look dumb. Everyone at this location is very unhappy and stressed about their job.
Pros
No positive aspects to this job
Cons
Management, training, job security
Worst job. Managers r rude. Sometimes make u wait all day fir lunch or dont get one at all.if is busy.There is no training.store is unorginized. They make u to stay for hours after store close because managers r bad at job.
Pros
Cons
Bad managers, stressful, low pay
The management supports discrimination. During my application nothing specified that it was required or preferred to be a chinese speaker but i was let-go due to not speaking mandarin, without any prior notice and at the end of the shift after having me do all the work for the day. The manager is very unprofessional and insensitive. Think twice as it may not be a stable job and you could be let-go for weirdest of reasons like getting sick.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Training, Management, Job Security, racially biased treatment
-Lots of standing around during the day -You will be required to learn a lot of information, training is not super structured so you will sped a lot of time trying to learn by yourself -Work days are always the same length (this is definitely an advantage over typical retail) -Hours are not ideal for someone with a family, especially if you do not drive. You will be home just in time to put your kids to bed, and not much time to spend with them. -Days off are during the week, weekend days are usually given to more valuable employees. -Benefits are decent, but a bit expensive once they finally sign you up for them. Plan leaves a lot to be desired in terms of covered drugs and services. -The policies the company enforces will get you yelled at regularly, even though they are not your policies. -We were told to encourage people to post 5-star reviews in order to boost our Google rating, by using incentives. -Management was pretty good, but could definitely improve communication skills. -Schedules were a bit of a mess, and people were often confused because they were not posted anywhere except at the front desk. -Hardest part of the job is remembering all the details about products, since you are expected to know it all. -Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see adorable squishy babies all day, and building relationships with great customers who value you. I was hired in 2016 with all stat holidays off, and paid lunch breaks. By the time I left, we were working every stat holiday aside from Christmas, and breaks were no longer paid. I have also seen - more...
Pros
Regular steady hours, decent (not great) pay for retail work
Cons
Poor training, poor communication
  1. Employee reviews