West Canadian Digital Imaging Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work. You are not valued as an employee.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB12 June 2018
Horrible place to work. Head office in Calgary is of no help to you. They like to let people go for no valid reason. They have no idea what goes on out there and they won't try and help you figure anything out.
Beware
Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2018
Very Poorly run organization. Management does not manage their teams. expectation is to sell and ask no questions or bring forward no issues. Provides no training. would strongly recommend not working at this organization
Shiney new building on the outside / Feels like a prison
Small Format Team Lead/Indigo Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2018
Management barely exists, and when it does, it's awful.
Employees are generally nice and helpful.
Higher ups are distant to floor staff, and often don't treat them equally.
Pros
potlucks
Cons
poor management and no raises
Well estaablished
Manager, Business Development Oil & Gas (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 December 2017
A well established company that is experiencing the change that all eventually go through. This very physical industry of printed material is slowly being replaced by the digital world.
Pros
Traditional values
Cons
Keeping up with change
terrible company for advancement or opportunity
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2017
not a great company to work for. you get hired where you are at and that where you stay forever. in my 4+ years there i did not see anyone advance within the company or get a cost of living increase or raise. the companys policy is to hire outsiders only and not promote from within. they will deduct 3$ from every paycheque for a "social fund" and in my time there i paid over 500$ into this fund and did not get anything out of it, so they basically stole 500$ from me. they will also deduct 180$ a month (90$ per paycheque) for their family benefits plan if you choose to use it. what a ripoff! the print industry is declining rapidly, and unless you want to get paid minimum wage to stand in front of a bindery machine or photocopier all day do yourself a favour and get a job in an industry that is not so influenced by the current enconomy. 90% of their business relies on construction and oil and gas and they will not hesitate to kick you to the curb if their sales are down . absolutely NO job security whatsoever, in my time there i saw well over 50 employees laid off.
Pros
Cons
no job security, raises, or benefits whatsoever.
mostly bad, some good
Print Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2017
Health benefits are provided but you will not receive them until you have worked there for one year. Raises are rare and production staff are paid poorly.

Very top-heavy management team who promote a toxic work culture and do not communicate effectively to address the needs of the staff.

There is no health & safety training, despite this being being a production facility with hazardous chemicals and dangerous equipment.

Aging equipment that they will not replace, and outdated organizational systems that they are not willing to change.

BUT most of the people who work there are fairly competent and friendly, which makes it tolerable.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
bad management
Large company with many divisions.
Project Manager - Signage (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2017
The company is so large, with so many different divisions, that it is difficult for newcomers to understand the way it all links together. Perhaps a company orientation is required to fill in the blanks for new hires.
Pros
Never dull with a lot of learning opportunity.
Cons
Learning where to fill in all the details of the way the company works.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2017
West Canadian is a very easy going place to work where people are encouraged to have fun and enjoy themselfs while in the work enviroment.... They are extremely helpful and have a positive attitude.
Fun place to work
Bindery Worker (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2017
Chill workplace, nice management, and I was just able to do what I think I can do without worrying too much and also the work is not really that hard but repetitive.
Pros
Chill people and workplace
Cons
If it's busy, there's a ton of work to do. If it's not busy, we literally don't do anything
Poorly managed!
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 February 2017
I can't say anything about the main sites of this company but the recent addition at a downtown building is poorly managed to say the least. This work site was outbid and they kept the previous employees. The staff is petty and underhanded changing your counts to a wrong one and blaming you if they don't like you. If one of them doesn't like you they find a way to completely discredit you. The Management/Team-leads lack communication skills and they will reprimand you in front of your peers. The expect you to learn a task in less than a week and match the speed as a long time employee that has 10 + years of experience.
Poorly managed office
. (Former Employee) –  Joffre4 August 2016
Former employee I did not feel the rolls in the office are defined. The manager has their hands in every minute of your day. Rude responses to questions. Not a happy place to work when she's in her moods. Poor leadership. High attrition rates are most definitely a reflection of this. Human resources have been involved and nothing changes but the staff.
A longstanding company with large network of clients
Digital Print (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 May 2016
Working for West Canadian gave me the opportunity to succeed in digital print and build a large network of clients. The large range of products and services made it easy to promote to new customers.
Pros
Great team of managers and employees that make it fun to come to work every day
Cons
There are few opportunities to move up
Quiet, peaceful workplace with cool coworkers.
Digital Imaging Technician - Contract (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 February 2016
Overall it was a place that I was able to thrive in and do great work. I had my issues with how things were managed at different times, however I had a great deal of control over my project so I worked more with my boss than under her. I worked the evening shift so a typical day was quiet, no phones going off all day and I enjoyed the company of my other night time coworkers. The worst part about the job was dealing with electronic failures. Our systems were not very advanced and we had many interruptions throughout the night slowing our process. The best part about the job was working side by side with my uppers on the production of the project itself. I thrived in the responsibilities I was given and came out very successful.
Could be Great
Director, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2015
West Canadian has all the potential to be a great place to work. As a privately owned company the owners need to place more responsibility in the hands of the non-owner senior management group. Little opportunity to grow as an employee in the organization.

Great facilities though.
Pros
Facilities, location, people
Cons
Ownership is shortsighted
Enjoyed my time working for West Canadian.
Imaging and Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2015
Company with a very good working environment where employees work hard and yet have time to have some fun. Respectful staff and management put this company in my higher list of places to work. Keep up the good work.
Pros
flexible shifts, Nice working environment
Cons
Repetitive work at times
Casual work environment with friendly co-workers.
Courier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2015
There were sufficient amenities and supplies to make us feel comfortable.

Division of duties was prompt and accurate. No one got more than he\she could do.

Hardest part of the job was to keep up to demand and volume of deliveries to and from clients at the site.

A friendly environment made all the work strain seem so much more manageable.
The Company provides opportunities for professional growth
Bindery Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2014
People are fun to work with; Working atmosphere is friendly
A harmonious working environment
Scanning Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 July 2014
A great working experience. this is where I acquired knowledge and skill in digital imaging and invoice indexing.
When you're with West Canadian, you're part of the family.
Prepress Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary15 June 2014
A great place to work - lots of fantastic people who become friends for life. Very dynamic and exciting, always expanding and growing. There's plenty of room for long-term career minded people.
Pros
Friendly work environment. Open door policy with management.
Cons
Very fast-paced at times.
Learned new things. Met some new friends.
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 June 2013
Learned new things.
Met some new friends.
Flexability.
Reasonable pay rate.
Cons
Overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Canadian Digital Imaging. Our community is ready to answer.

West Canadian Digital Imaging Reviews by Location