West 49

West 49 Employee Reviews

Canada138 reviews
I was only a seasonal employer which meant I was working there for the most part of winter. December to February, 3 months, but it was a great outcome as I gained experience.
West 49 is a fun job to have for an employee who has knowledge about the product, and is also interested in the product the store has to sell and usually an interest in an action sport associated with some sold products at the store.
Pros
Easy when it wasnt busy
Cons
Bad customers
Retail world is a very different place.

No security and loyalty.

Fun atmosphere to work however will not be rich working in retail.

Company is vastly different than years past
This was a completely new experience for myself. I was approached and asked to participate in these commercials by the team manager. I enjoyed this very much and was happy to be a part of these experiences.
They just do not care about their employees.
unless you sell you dont get hours. If you dont get hours you cant sell. As it is retail the turn over rate is high.
Love it, great team great company. Too bad it was a pop up shop I’d have loved to work there full time. The money was good and I love working with people.
Cons
Great place to work with a nice environment and ample opportunity for advancement. Loved the fact that its a skate shop but also includes everybody not just skaters
Head office is slower than the government which can be annoying. and now im just filling up space to be honest. i really only have the one problem with them.
Great place to work, connected with people and yourself. Learn new skills in pros and cons in sales. I wasn't that kind of person until I started working there.
Pros
Connection with myself and learning about myself.
Cons
Not enough hours
I got to meet some great people at this job and work in a fun customer service environment, but when it came down to it they threw their staff into the fire with very minimal training and were unwilling to work around their staff's schedules.
it was fun and easy going and got to talk to and help a lot of people and work in an energetic environment with excellent management and other staff members
Overall, Great 5 years at West49!

Life balance is challenging due to the demanding hours. It is based on the needs of the business and sales. Changes often.
Pros
creative expression
Cons
life balance
Fun and laid back people. Store wasn't always super busy so it was like getting paid to fold clothes and hang out with your friends. Miss it tons, it was a great job.
Pros
Interesting coworkers
Cons
Sometimes boring due to slow business
A workday in West 49 would be very fun, it's a very positive work environment and the people who work there are awesome and friendly. Unfortunately, the management was a complete disaster. The bosses didn't do half of their job description, when we complained the upper management they would take the managers side without hesitation and a proper investigation. Inside the store was always being moved around and was never consistent and the managers took their personal anger on us. I would never work at West 49 again.
Pros
The people there are so easy to get along with
Cons
Typical day at work includes, selling skateboard brand related merchandise. Building of skateboards and selling of tools and equipment. Good learning environment for skate culture and other related brands
Pros
learning to build boards and functions of different boards
Cons
no cons
Fast paced and fun work place. Management was fantastic as was company as a whole. Until being bought out by YM. After being bought out quality of service as well as product being sold went down hill. Lost meaning behind the company.
Pros
great people, great product, overall fantastic company
Cons
sold out to a company that knew nothing about its products
I only worked there as a coop student but it was honestly such a funny place to be. I enjoyed my time there joking around with employees but still getting things done.
Do not waste your time in applying to this extremely chauvinistic, judgemental and disrespectful company. They aren't an equal opportunity employer in fact they're the exact opposite. You do have support of the district manager but that's about it. There is absolutely no work/life balance and you're expected to work over time and every weekend with little to no days off. don't even think about taking any kind of vacation if your in management even if you're entitled to it it'll never happen! The company is declining heavily and sinking like the Titanic you will never advance in your position and will never be given a proper performance review and no raise ever! So don't work for West 49 you'll regret it! All the good people have left just sayin...
Pros
Get paid for stat holidays
Cons
Where do I begin....
Honestly, the job's not bad. the management isn't awesome and the hours are horrible. Everything else is good. the work is manageable and the overall atmosphere at the job is good.
I always enjoyed working there. At the time when I was there I wasn't a fan of the management. Now the management is great and the staff is awesome. Really chill environment. open-minded people.
Pros
great staff
West49 was a good place to work because of the other employees, however it is very poorly run. The schedules were never made on time. They picked shifts based on people they liked. Lastly it is minimum wage.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Low pay