West 49
West 49 Employee Review

Awful pay, awful upper management

25 March 2020
I worked for west 49 for almost 3 years and met a lot of great people. The co-workers are definitely the only plus to working here. it was the complete disregard for anyone in a key holder/team management position that forced me to leave. You can expect the Area manager to play favourite’s and overlook hard work unless it directly benefits him. Also expect your hours to get cut drastically if you can’t pick up one shift that you’re not scheduled for. There’s absolutely no incentive to work hard since they rarely promote from within and refuse to recognize great work ethic from anyone other than upper management. I had personally asked the Area manager multiple times if there was any way for me to improve my work ethic and possibly earn more hours or responsibility, yet I never got any real feedback (ex. Nope you’re fine). There’s clearly no interest in their employees welfare or desire to move up on the company. favouritism with hours has gotten so bad Employees are switching/giving away shifts amongst themselves to try and even out the hour distribution to prevent feuds. If you care at all about your mental well being, do NOT expect to do well here. You will almost guaranteed leave with same position you were hired in as. Moving up is not an option unfortunately. Also don’t work here if you have bills or rent, hours are so fickle and the slightest mistake could have your hours cut in half since mistakes are immediately reflected on the schedule and not communicated at all.
11 February 2020
Same role
Worked here a long time ago and it was owned by billabong. Was a very fun environment great culture and cool people. I cannot speak for it now it may have changed.
4 February 2020
I worked there for only a month. But what bothered me was the person who hiried me. I was made promises that apparently were never going to be met. They list benefits on their job discription, guess what! No one gets those. They love to play favorites. They don't communicate anything to people who have manager or key holder positions. The only thing I liked about working there would be the people I worked with.
23 September 2019
Same roleSame location
I worked at West 49 for about a year and a half and managed to make excellent, ongoing friendships with a lot of my co-workers. The job itself is very laid back and quite fun if you enjoy handling merchandise and connecting with customers. The issue lies in the upper management. If you're a part time sales associate you wont have any issues but when you get to become a key holder/ASM/Manager you start to despise the higher ups. After being given the key holder position early into my job (promotion within) which may I add, does not pay you nearly enough for a supervisor position, my DM never gave me any opportunity to grow even after asking him multiple times for a chance. He always shunned our store and glorified the store at Polo Park because that's the store he came from and would never take the fall for any of his bad work, but would shove his name into anything we were being praised for. You'll love working with the people you work with, but become quickly frustrated with the lack of communication and the all around bad management styles by higher up authority.