West 49

West 49 Management reviews

Canada138 reviews
West 49 is very easy going, as well as very relaxed. The management team and employees are super nice and very welcoming. Definitely a great place to work, but very few positions and hours per week.
Not sure if this is applicable to all West 49s, but I came to West 49 Peterborough after leaving a very poor work environment, so I was desperate for any other job and ignored red flags. I worked there for 8 months. I was hired even though I know nothing about skateboarding, and was not provided any training whatsoever with regards to building skateboards, which brands to recommend, etc. I felt completely in the dark whenever a customer asked me my opinion about boarding. This was unfortunate because I wanted to learn, but it is probably because West 49 is NOT A SKATE SHOP, but rather a CHILDREN'S CLOTHING STORE so no one else knows how to make boards! And you have to deal with lots of kids, so keep that in mind. The management is the worst, there's rampant favouritism. I was finally consistently getting 20+ hours per week, I left to have surgery and when I returned (weeks after our mutually agreed upon return date, might I add) I was lucky to get 5 hours per week. My manager was well aware of the fact that I am a self-supporting student and am unable to feed myself or drive myself to work on that amount of money. I lost a concerning amount of weight from the combined stress of the work environment and lack of income resulting in an inability to afford proper food. They cancel your shifts with a few hours notice (happened to me with my very last shift!), OR CHANGE YOUR SHIFTS AFTER RELEASING THE WEEKLY SCHEDULE AND THEN BLAME YOU FOR NOT KNOWING WHEN YOU'RE WORKING. The manager would watch Netflix on her phone at the cash register or in the back room while you're working, and - more...
Worked at a store during college at a new location in a mall. Management of any kind is almost non existent unless of course they're giving you an earful about how sales are down. Working long hours and getting short changed on your paycheque was a fairly regular thing that happened to me and a few other employees and that never got rectified no matter how many times it happened.

The management had no respect for other peoples availability always booking me on days I booked off or said I wasn't available, no matter how many times I explained I couldn't work certain days because of school it always fell on deaf ears. This is rather odd considering most of the staff is high school and college students. This was finally fixed but I never once got an apology from my manager, instead just started changing shifts or leaving early so he wouldn't have to talk to me, then finally only giving me one small shift a week that usually got cancelled last minute. When I left I didn't get a thank you from anyone in management,

The company is beyond terrible to work for, I can't in any good conciseness recommend working here.
Cons
I worked for west 49 for almost 3 years and met a lot of great people. The co-workers are definitely the only plus to working here. it was the complete disregard for anyone in a key holder/team management position that forced me to leave. You can expect the Area manager to play favourite’s and overlook hard work unless it directly benefits him. Also expect your hours to get cut drastically if you can’t pick up one shift that you’re not scheduled for. There’s absolutely no incentive to work hard since they rarely promote from within and refuse to recognize great work ethic from anyone other than upper management. I had personally asked the Area manager multiple times if there was any way for me to improve my work ethic and possibly earn more hours or responsibility, yet I never got any real feedback (ex. Nope you’re fine). There’s clearly no interest in their employees welfare or desire to move up on the company. favouritism with hours has gotten so bad Employees are switching/giving away shifts amongst themselves to try and even out the hour distribution to prevent feuds. If you care at all about your mental well being, do NOT expect to do well here. You will almost guaranteed leave with same position you were hired in as. Moving up is not an option unfortunately. Also don’t work here if you have bills or rent, hours are so fickle and the slightest mistake could have your hours cut in half since mistakes are immediately reflected on the schedule and not communicated at all.
west 49 was a fast and competitive environment. finding cloths and building skateboards for our customers was very rewarding and energizing. management and employees were very kind and respectfull.
I worked there for only a month. But what bothered me was the person who hiried me. I was made promises that apparently were never going to be met. They list benefits on their job discription, guess what! No one gets those. They love to play favorites. They don't communicate anything to people who have manager or key holder positions. The only thing I liked about working there would be the people I worked with.
Honestly, the upper management is fantastic! the loss prevention officers are amazing to work with. the staff on the other hand with an exception of a few are very terrible at customer service and management is FUBAR. after i stepped down from assistant manager, they hired a former employee from a few years back and she gives no credit to her employees and takes it all for herself. she is not a leader but more of a dictator. ,
OK place to work while in university. My store manager was great but upper management seemed to not know what the were doing. after YM Management bought them out the product went way downhill.
I worked at West 49 for about a year and a half and managed to make excellent, ongoing friendships with a lot of my co-workers. The job itself is very laid back and quite fun if you enjoy handling merchandise and connecting with customers. The issue lies in the upper management. If you're a part time sales associate you wont have any issues but when you get to become a key holder/ASM/Manager you start to despise the higher ups. After being given the key holder position early into my job (promotion within) which may I add, does not pay you nearly enough for a supervisor position, my DM never gave me any opportunity to grow even after asking him multiple times for a chance. He always shunned our store and glorified the store at Polo Park because that's the store he came from and would never take the fall for any of his bad work, but would shove his name into anything we were being praised for. You'll love working with the people you work with, but become quickly frustrated with the lack of communication and the all around bad management styles by higher up authority.
West 49 was a good workplace. A great place to learn the ropes of retail. Management is pretty reasonable. Most enjoyable part was the clientele and working with skateboards.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at West 49?
Fun, productive work environment. Relaxing with excellent co-workers and management
A typical day included breaking safety rules to get tasks done. Having to work completely alone in a large store wasn't uncommon. Upper management would give a task and have a completely different one an hour later emailed out.
Pros
Sales associates still bring the job culture
Cons
The company doesn't though
I really loved my co-workers, they were really outgoing and super positive! They taught me how to greet customers, fold the clothing properly and many more! The management was well taken care of from my supervisor and honestly, the hardest part of the job was when I had to get used to the daily routines in my first few days at West 49.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Getting used to the different routines
Great People
Lot of friendly customers

Poor Management
No real leader in the work space
Great Breaks

Lot of work for a minimum paid job

Overall management could be changed
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Poor Management
I enjoyed working here more than Boathouse, but the staffing and rules within the company changed when it was bought out by stitches, and I didn't like the new rule set
Management was terrible the only fun thing about working here was the other sales associates!
The management were racists and just really bad people.
Pros
Cool sale associates
Cons
No hours
Working at west 49 was a fun job. Management isn’t the best but your co workers make it a good experience. It was like being a little family. Fairly easy job too
It was sad to see the store close. The experience and knowledge gained was remarkable, and the companies goals and culture were on point for the industry they were apart of. The management made the job better, being truly connected and wanting the best of the company.
I worked full time at this company. Well underpaid for a lot of hard work. And not so appreciative head office staff. The only one that was positive all the time was my district manager. As a salaried employee you are taking advantage of a lot. It’s a great starter job if you are looking for a management position but definitely not a good career.
Pros
Coworkers, Bonus incentive program, environment
Cons
Poor salary, difficult to advance positions
Will promise you everything and give you nothing. Lies and manipulation. If your skinny and pretty you can probably have relations with someone to get to the top.
Pros
Cons
Abusive, manipulation, corrupt
They just do not care about their employees.
unless you sell you dont get hours. If you dont get hours you cant sell. As it is retail the turn over rate is high.