West 49

West 49 Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Sales Associate52 reviews
Canada52 reviews
I was only a seasonal employer which meant I was working there for the most part of winter. December to February, 3 months, but it was a great outcome as I gained experience.
Worked at a store during college at a new location in a mall. Management of any kind is almost non existent unless of course they're giving you an earful about how sales are down. Working long hours and getting short changed on your paycheque was a fairly regular thing that happened to me and a few other employees and that never got rectified no matter how many times it happened.

The management had no respect for other peoples availability always booking me on days I booked off or said I wasn't available, no matter how many times I explained I couldn't work certain days because of school it always fell on deaf ears. This is rather odd considering most of the staff is high school and college students. This was finally fixed but I never once got an apology from my manager, instead just started changing shifts or leaving early so he wouldn't have to talk to me, then finally only giving me one small shift a week that usually got cancelled last minute. When I left I didn't get a thank you from anyone in management,

The company is beyond terrible to work for, I can't in any good conciseness recommend working here.
Cons
West 49 is very easy going, as well as very relaxed. The management team and employees are super nice and very welcoming. Definitely a great place to work, but very few positions and hours per week.
Honestly, the upper management is fantastic! the loss prevention officers are amazing to work with. the staff on the other hand with an exception of a few are very terrible at customer service and management is FUBAR. after i stepped down from assistant manager, they hired a former employee from a few years back and she gives no credit to her employees and takes it all for herself. she is not a leader but more of a dictator. ,
OK place to work while in university. My store manager was great but upper management seemed to not know what the were doing. after YM Management bought them out the product went way downhill.
Was really fun to work there as a first real job where you get used to the workflow and have fun helping customers find the products they want. Sadly the closed the location where i worked
Pros
good first real job
Cons
long term sucks
Working at west 49 was fairly boring due to other shops having better selections than us. Co-workers were nice to work with and get along. Wouldn't work there again unless pay was higher than minimum
Great People
Lot of friendly customers

Poor Management

No real leader in the work space

Great Breaks

Lot of work for a minimum paid job

Overall management could be changed
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Poor Management
This job was nice to be at, the environment was healthy and the work life was awesome. I made some good friends there and realized my potential is a lot greater than what I had previously thought.
Working at west 49 was a fun job. Management isn’t the best but your co workers make it a good experience. It was like being a little family. Fairly easy job too
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at West 49?
I flaw about West 49 is that they hire students to set up the store then let them go; then hire people around the age of 18 to work as associates and cashiers.
Pros
Perks
Cons
Very little shifts
I do not have much to say about working here as it was not for long and it wasn't a job that I wanted to have. I only took it just to take it and have money in my pocket as a high school student.
Working a lot on hitting minimums for the month when it comes to sales. Selling anything from shoes, shirts, socks and skateboards. Very demanding when it come to minimums
This was such an incredible first job for myself. It came at a great time in my life. I was really involved in the skateboarding community at the time, and I felt really at home working here.
The initial manager at my store was not professional at all. Very immature in front of customers and also degrading to me and other staff personally. The new managers were much better but I quit work due to returning to school full time.
Will promise you everything and give you nothing. Lies and manipulation. If your skinny and pretty you can probably have relations with someone to get to the top.
Pros
Cons
Abusive, manipulation, corrupt
West 49 is a fun job to have for an employee who has knowledge about the product, and is also interested in the product the store has to sell and usually an interest in an action sport associated with some sold products at the store.
Pros
Easy when it wasnt busy
Cons
Bad customers
Head office is slower than the government which can be annoying. and now im just filling up space to be honest. i really only have the one problem with them.
Great place to work, connected with people and yourself. Learn new skills in pros and cons in sales. I wasn't that kind of person until I started working there.
Pros
Connection with myself and learning about myself.
Cons
Not enough hours
it was fun and easy going and got to talk to and help a lot of people and work in an energetic environment with excellent management and other staff members
A workday in West 49 would be very fun, it's a very positive work environment and the people who work there are awesome and friendly. Unfortunately, the management was a complete disaster. The bosses didn't do half of their job description, when we complained the upper management they would take the managers side without hesitation and a proper investigation. Inside the store was always being moved around and was never consistent and the managers took their personal anger on us. I would never work at West 49 again.
Pros
The people there are so easy to get along with